F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Bimmercode app iOS/Android
Studio RSR

05-18-2017, 12:54 AM   #1
joec1101
BMW Fanaddict
Rep
Drives: '18 F87 ///M2

Bimmercode app iOS/Android

Anyone try this app yet? Opinions?
It looks very promising with quite a few options.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
chuck_GT
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC

Yes i'm also very curious to know
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #3
joec1101
BMW Fanaddict
Rep
Drives: '18 F87 ///M2

I did end up getting the app and WiFi adapter. It's actually pretty decent, especially for the small investment.

A lot of neat features - coded my rear taillights for DRL, switched off the legal disclaimers on the iDrive screen, digital speedo on dash, M Performance logo on dash, A/C off at startup and a few other little items.

There are a few items that didn't function well, like the auto fold/unfold mirrors with keyfob w/Comfort Access - in my case the convertible top functions with the keyfob, but when the mirrors are coded to fold/unfold as well, the top stops moving as soon as the mirrors stop moving. This wasn't all that important to me, since it's just a quick tap of the button for the mirrors, so I put that back to stock. The mirror function probably works fine on a coupe, though.

It's definitely worth the money. I believe it's only for F chassis cars, so it's not going to work on other models.
Appreciate 3
      06-17-2017, 01:19 AM   #4
flwbyu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M Sport 6MT

I downloaded the app and got the wifi adapter from amazon today. Looking forward to trying this out. Seems fairly straight forward. Thanks joec1101 for the initial review.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

I just tried this this morning. App connected just fine to the adapter and I went through and made all the changes. How long should everything take to kick in? I drove for about an hour after all the coding, and nothing. No errors, just nothing took.

I did it with the engine running and doors shut, since without the engine on, it said it couldn't find the car.

I'll try unplugging the adapter, plugging back in and starting over, but any ideas? Did I miss a step?

EDIT- never mind, I figured it out

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec1101 View Post
Anyone try this app yet? Opinions?
It looks very promising with quite a few options.
IOS only.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
flwbyu
Private
United_States
Rep

As already mentioned by 'Almaretto', this is an Apple iOS app only –

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bimm...130787459?mt=8

You can find the supported BMW models and functions at the bottom of the bimmercode webpage –

http://www.bimmercodeapp.com

You will also need an adapter for it to work with the app –

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Functio...SIN=B01KHYMATW
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Anyone know how this compares to the Carly app?
      06-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
flwbyu
Private
United_States
Rep

I have seen several reviews of the Carly vs Bimmercode debate and most of them have sided with Carly as being the better app. However, many also said that Bimmercode has made great strides to improve its compatibility and most also agreed that the interface was much nicer. Take it for what it is. I have read in several reviews that Bimmercode has an advanced mode for manual code entry. I have yet to test this yet. Just been researching both apps.

I have gone ahead and purchased the Carly for BMW Pro app and the adapter that goes with the app –

Carly for BMW Pro
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carl...467343427?mt=8

Original Carly for BMW Wifi Adapter Generation 2
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Carl...keywords=carly

You would need the 20 PIN adapter for any BMW models before 2001 or if you have an OBD port under the hood.

Goliton® OBD OBD2 16 Pin Connector Diagnostic Adapter for BMW 20 Pin
https://www.amazon.com/Goliton-OBD2-...QCD51S1E4ZD89P

I will start testing both units on two different F30 models to see how they work. More to come.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Had a different wifi adapter and it seems the app only will interface with the one specified. Since their recommended adapter works with the other apps that I use for reading odb data, I just ordered one. I'll give the app a shot later in the week when it comes. Especially if there is expert mode, it might be worth it by not having to whip out the laptop etc etc to make small coding changes.
Appreciate 1
afranke207.00
      06-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
I see it advertises being able to code vim at all speeds for ID5 and 6. Anyone try it yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
GDLF.
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
BimmerCode and Carly are both developed in Germany. BimmerCode is imho the better App! Stephan, the dev of BimmerCode (and also BimmerLink to Check out sensor-Data and control your exhaust valve), is a user of a german 1-Series-Forum and I'm one of the Beta Testers.

BimmerCode is much more Secure than Carly. In normal Mode you can only do codings which are possible and its backup-Routine works very well.

And funfact with Carly: Their "used-car-Check" is based on Reading Data from different ECUs like KOMBI and FEM and comparing their mileage... So every car with a used FEM from a donor-car is automatically called a "Fraud"-Car with mileage-Manipulation...

Also BimmerCode offers the advanced Coding functions, so you can code parameters like you can with E-Sys.

(Sorry for Bad english sometime...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
I see it advertises being able to code vim at all speeds for ID5 and 6. Anyone try it yet?
Yep, Beta-Tested it and it works very well. Also figured out how it works (the coding itself)
Appreciate 3
      06-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #13
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDLF. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
BimmerCode and Carly are both developed in Germany. BimmerCode is imho the better App! Stephan, the dev of BimmerCode (and also BimmerLink to Check out sensor-Data and control your exhaust valve), is a user of a german 1-Series-Forum and I'm one of the Beta Testers.

BimmerCode is much more Secure than Carly. In normal Mode you can only do codings which are possible and its backup-Routine works very well.

And funfact with Carly: Their "used-car-Check" is based on Reading Data from different ECUs like KOMBI and FEM and comparing their mileage... So every car with a used FEM from a donor-car is automatically called a "Fraud"-Car with mileage-Manipulation...

Also BimmerCode offers the advanced Coding functions, so you can code parameters like you can with E-Sys.

(Sorry for Bad english sometime...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
Yep, Beta-Tested it and it works very well. Also figured out how it works (the coding itself)
Are you able to share the coding for the VIM for ID5/6 ?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #14
F30Beast335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 n55 335i

I second bimmercode Since the expert mode is superb , I have coded many things manually using this app and v-gate wifi 2 adapter . It's pretty easy to navigate and haven't had a issue with it yet . It's very user friendly . Just make sure if you go to expert mode you have a good list of code parameters already that you want to change and know what your changing . But top notch in my opinion for the money , beats having to have your laptop in the car anytime you want to code something .
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #15
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

I started with Carly and then supplemented with bimmercode for iOS as I was able to do some coding that wasn't available in Carly. Both are solid apps but if I had to choose one it would be bimmercode.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #16
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

I can vouch for bimmercode. Used it on my 328d. Only issue is if you code FEM acouple of times, it throws down check engine code, but that's easily erased. I used an old iPhone of mine that I had laying around because I didn't want someone to call halfway or something and mess up the coding.

Highly recommended.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #17
F30Beast335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 n55 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
I can vouch for bimmercode. Used it on my 328d. Only issue is if you code FEM acouple of times, it throws down check engine code, but that's easily erased. I used an old iPhone of mine that I had laying around because I didn't want someone to call halfway or something and mess up the coding.

Highly recommended.
You can also just turn off your cellular data to keep this from happening
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #18
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Beast335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post

Highly recommended.
You can also just turn off your cellular data to keep this from happening
You're right. Just put in airplane mode then enable wifi.

I just didn't want any kind of notifications, calls, background data, etc. while I was coding. Just simply repurposed and old iPhone.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #19
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I went ahead and bought the BimmerCode app. I also have the Carly app from before.

I've been using Carly with a regular ELM dongle (not the Carly specific one) for my E92 M3. Just purchased a F25 X3 and Carly won't code the X3 unless I buy their adapter so I just decided to purchase BimmerCode plus Vgate dongle single since that's still cheaper than buying the Carly adapter.

I have to say I like BimmerCode a lot better. The interface is just so much better! As far as I can tell they have pretty much the same coding options that I care about. The expert mode seems cool, just need to do some research on how to use it.

I understand that Carly does diagnostics (albeit rather poorly imho) but my vote is for BimmerCode this far. That and I have a foxwell diagnostic tool that's way more useful for repair/maintenance work.
      06-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #20
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also, I tried BimmerCode with a random dongle I already had and it kinda works. Was able to code a few things but it was super slow and timed out a few times. Almost gave me heart attack cause I thought I bricked my idrive.

I would suggest just getting the recommended icar2 vgate
      06-27-2017, 05:03 AM   #21
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 340i W/MPPSK

I'm looking to get this and need the OBD reader. Would the (I assume) newer VGate iCar3 work, or does it have to be a iCar2?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #22
gpdrama
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: F30 316i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTruter View Post
I'm looking to get this and need the OBD reader. Would the (I assume) newer VGate iCar3 work, or does it have to be a iCar2?
I've had the same question asked to the technical support of the official bimmercode, and what they said is the iCar2 option would be recommended, because of its On-Off switch, if it automatically goes into sleep mode.
Otherwise the compatibility and fuction both of them is tested.
Appreciate 1
WTruter100.50