F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > ripped leather seats
proTUNING Freaks

12-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
regular_joe
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 320XI Modern Line

Pointless thread without a pic
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #24
dahlman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan

Resurrecting old thread...we have a ripped seat

Hi,

New member here. I'll check to see if there's an Introductions section and also post there this weekend. My immediate concern is this thread since I'm hoping to get warranty coverage on our torn seat.

We just picked up a used 2013 328i xDrive Sedan with 42,000 kms or approx 25,000 miles. It's a CPO car from a BMW dealer.

It was surprising to realize that there is a tear in the driver's seat. We didn't see it on the test drive. Who would look for that on a car with 42k? That's not even 2 years of average mileage in North America.

I stopped by the dealer today to ask if this would be covered under warranty but neither of the service managers work on Saturdays. That seems odd for a premium brand but what do I know?

We've had a '98 318, an '01 323 and an '04 325 previously - all with much higher mileage - and have never seen anything like this.

We'll go back next week to discuss with the dealer and I'll let you know what they say.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #25
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlman View Post
Hi,

New member here. I'll check to see if there's an Introductions section and also post there this weekend. My immediate concern is this thread since I'm hoping to get warranty coverage on our torn seat.

We just picked up a used 2013 328i xDrive Sedan with 42,000 kms or approx 25,000 miles. It's a CPO car from a BMW dealer.

It was surprising to realize that there is a tear in the driver's seat. We didn't see it on the test drive. Who would look for that on a car with 42k? That's not even 2 years of average mileage in North America.

I stopped by the dealer today to ask if this would be covered under warranty but neither of the service managers work on Saturdays. That seems odd for a premium brand but what do I know?

We've had a '98 318, an '01 323 and an '04 325 previously - all with much higher mileage - and have never seen anything like this.

We'll go back next week to discuss with the dealer and I'll let you know what they say.
Is a condition that existed on the purchase date covered by CPO? Interesting question. I hope they take care of it for you....it should not have been like that when you bought it.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-06-2016 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #26
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

Besides the tear, that leather looks like it has been scuffed with 80 grit sandpaper. Did it look like that when you bought it? (decided to buy it)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #27
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

yeah that seat looks well worn & discolored. it probably was missed by both you and the dealer. just complain and ask them to fix it if you just bought it.

2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #28
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Unusually high wear from my point of view. Are you sure this car only had 25K miles?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:12 AM   #29
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
Finally, a picture, even if it is not OP's.

The CPO car certainly looks like a deep scratch to me. Technically the CPO only covers a certain list of things. I hope this is on the list. If the dealer will not cover it, you can probably go to a GOOD auto upholsterer who can make it look new. My guess is $50; it could well be less.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #30
dahlman
Registered
Rep

Unhappy Not the answer we were hoping for...yet?

Hi again - thank you all for your posts. I just came back from the local dealer and they were not helpful.

Spoke to a young service manager (or maybe the assistant manager?) who said that we have to take it back to the place where we bought it, which is an hour away. That's a disappointing answer, especially since he tried to argue that "a number of factors can contribute to premature wear and tear, including how you care for the material." It's leatherette. That means it's plastic. It either lasts or it doesn't. He then agreed that what he was saying was not relevant. No sh*t, Sherlock...

What's perhaps most surprising is that, even after admitting that leatherette is essentially maintenance-free, he made no offer to ask his boss about it or appeal it to BMW corporate. We bought a used BMW from a dealer to get the CPO coverage. I don't know for sure but I would expect that BMW corporate would underwrite the cost of all CPO warranty claims so that the dealer is not out of pocket.

I just spoke to the sales rep where we bought the car, and he's going to ask his boss if they can pick up & deliver the car to correct the issues for us. I know that he cannot guarantee anything, and nothing's guaranteed yet, but he was A LOT more engaging about seeing what is possible than the guy at the local dealer. If he can get approval to do this then we'll also get a loaner or rental while we're waiting.

Stand by...I'll reveal dealer names when there is closure on all fronts. In fairness to the local dealer, I have not gone up the ladder yet and doing that may reveal that the guy I spoke with today was out of line. If that's the case then it's not fair to damn the whole dealership for his actions.

FYI for those of you who are wondering...When my wife decides to get a car, she searches color & model year and then buys whatever is available that week, wherever it may be, and therefore why we didn't buy it locally.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #31
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlman View Post
Hi again - thank you all for your posts. I just came back from the local dealer and they were not helpful.

Spoke to a young service manager (or maybe the assistant manager?) who said that we have to take it back to the place where we bought it, which is an hour away. That's a disappointing answer, especially since he tried to argue that "a number of factors can contribute to premature wear and tear, including how you care for the material." It's leatherette. That means it's plastic. It either lasts or it doesn't. He then agreed that what he was saying was not relevant. No sh*t, Sherlock...

What's perhaps most surprising is that, even after admitting that leatherette is essentially maintenance-free, he made no offer to ask his boss about it or appeal it to BMW corporate. We bought a used BMW from a dealer to get the CPO coverage. I don't know for sure but I would expect that BMW corporate would underwrite the cost of all CPO warranty claims so that the dealer is not out of pocket.

I just spoke to the sales rep where we bought the car, and he's going to ask his boss if they can pick up & deliver the car to correct the issues for us. I know that he cannot guarantee anything, and nothing's guaranteed yet, but he was A LOT more engaging about seeing what is possible than the guy at the local dealer. If he can get approval to do this then we'll also get a loaner or rental while we're waiting.

Stand by...I'll reveal dealer names when there is closure on all fronts. In fairness to the local dealer, I have not gone up the ladder yet and doing that may reveal that the guy I spoke with today was out of line. If that's the case then it's not fair to damn the whole dealership for his actions.

FYI for those of you who are wondering...When my wife decides to get a car, she searches color & model year and then buys whatever is available that week, wherever it may be, and therefore why we didn't buy it locally.
Nope that's standard. If the condition preexisted your purchase of the car its on the dealer you purchased from to fix the problem not BMW CPO coverage.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #32
JVBFTW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Mine was wearing a bit, not quite cracked yet. Asked about it and they replaced it.

took about 2 months for the replacement cover to come in though.
      02-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #33
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:

For an issue such as this, I would never think to take it to anyone other than the dealer I just bought it from for two reasons - 1) They're on the hook to make sure you're satisfied with the purchase and to address any issues/oversights with the vehicle and 2) the local dealer has no way of knowing if you just caused the damage yourself 10 minutes before driving in.

As an aside, the cracking of the leatherette in the photo is very reminiscent of the cracking that plagued the leatherette of the early 2000s. Almost identical in fact if you do some searching for images. I have not seen this on any leatherette over the last several years. You shouldn't have an issue getting it corrected. It was likely a simple oversight.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #34
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
For an issue such as this, I would never think to take it to anyone other than the dealer I just bought it from for two reasons - 1) They're on the hook to make sure you're satisfied with the purchase and to address any issues/oversights with the vehicle and 2) the local dealer has no way of knowing if you just caused the damage yourself 10 minutes before driving in.

As an aside, the cracking of the leatherette in the photo is very reminiscent of the cracking that plagued the leatherette of the early 2000s. Almost identical in fact if you do some searching for images. I have not seen this on any leatherette over the last several years. You shouldn't have an issue getting it corrected. It was likely a simple oversight.
Right--the main issue is that the CPO dealer should not have sold it in that condition in the first place.
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      02-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #35
benbenwin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by echangf30
Is there anyone out there that has had a ripped leather seat in their f30? am I the only one? Its on the drivers side right by the buttons for the power seat. It only a year old. But I very disappointed. I hope the dealer will fix this.
Yes. It happened to my 13 328i xdrive. It was replaced by the dealer without any comments. Not a fun of BMW's DOKOTA leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #36
dahlman
Registered
Rep

I get what you're saying about the possibility that a new owner (i.e. us) could cause damage after taking delivery. In this case, the selling dealer can confirm to the local dealer that it's a legit claim. Although it's pretty obvious that it's premature failure from regular use if you see it in person - it's not like we're building a piano here or OJ is saying that the glove doesn't fit.

I'm a business owner and can empathize with BMW dealers who may sometimes encounter unreasonable customers. Therefore, I always try to approach things from an even-handed perspective.

Today, it was not so much that my request was rejected but more about the fact that it was rejected without any offer to explore further. It floored me that, even before he looked at it, the assistant service manager was saying no.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #37
dahlman
Registered
Rep

Closure

Spoke to the service manager at the local dealer and bottom line is that, as much as they would like to put this through warranty, they can't do it.

And, as some have already stated in this thread, the selling dealer missed it and should have corrected it before the car was put onto the lot as a CPO.

I'm not going to start naming dealerships since the selling dealer has now offered to sort this out for us and the local dealer stated a reasonable case for declining to get involved. The young guy I met at the local dealer today could have handled it better but he's still a young guy and this will be one of those instances that help him to build experience.

Thank you all again for your comments - it was very helpful!

Did I mention that this thing is a blast to drive? Sure, it sounds like a diesel and it's a little softer than the older ones we've owned but that 8AT sure makes that 240 hp turbo 4 go like stink!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #38
soonster
Rep
Drives: fx

My 2014 335i has 41k miles and Sport seats have 2 small rips by the memory buttons.

Called up my local dealer and scheduled an appt to review. My 20 year old maxima just started cracking from it's leather, who would of tho BMW would cheap out on material where it matters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #39
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Hi,

Quote:

My Sensatec upholstery on my front driver's seat is starting to crack.

The car is a 2014 335i RWD M Sport. It has about 79,500 miles.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #40
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
My Sensatec upholstery on my front driver's seat is starting to crack. The car is a 2014 335i RWD M Sport. It has about 79,500 miles.

That's sad to see. The black Sensatec vinyl in our E46 2002 325xi still looks like new after 167K miles.

Re: the seat repairs that weren't noticed by the buyer of the CPO car - it all comes down to the dealer's willingness to work with you. We purchased my wife's CPO 2013 F30 last February, but I recently noticed some issues that indicated that the car might have been in an accident prior to our purchase, resulting in repainting of the hood & passenger's fender & the replacement of the passenger's headlight. Of course the pre-purchase CarFax was clean. At a service appointment, the key was read and some codes came up that made us suspect an accident has occurred. I hadn't caught that the Hella headlamp assembly did not have "BMW" script on it when purchased. The paint match was excellent, but actually had less orange peel than the rest of the original paint. A small spot of rust was developing under the paint on the hood. Brought it to the attention of the general manager, sales manager & salesman, and the hood was refinished & headlight replaced with a new BMW unit. The repairs were coded "in-house" vs. warranty work. I tried to stay cool & be as nice as possible, knowing they could possibly balk at the repairs, but they made it right.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #41
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
That's sad to see. The black Sensatec vinyl in our E46 2002 325xi still looks like new after 167K miles.

Re: the seat repairs that weren't noticed by the buyer of the CPO car - it all comes down to the dealer's willingness to work with you. We purchased my wife's CPO 2013 F30 last February, but I recently noticed some issues that indicated that the car might have been in an accident prior to our purchase, resulting in repainting of the hood & passenger's fender & the replacement of the passenger's headlight. Of course the pre-purchase CarFax was clean. At a service appointment, the key was read and some codes came up that made us suspect an accident has occurred. I hadn't caught that the Hella headlamp assembly did not have "BMW" script on it when purchased. The paint match was excellent, but actually had less orange peel than the rest of the original paint. A small spot of rust was developing under the paint on the hood. Brought it to the attention of the general manager, sales manager & salesman, and the hood was refinished & headlight replaced with a new BMW unit. The repairs were coded "in-house" vs. warranty work. I tried to stay cool & be as nice as possible, knowing they could possibly balk at the repairs, but they made it right.
Hella healights were Halogen, Xenon or LED?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 03:43 AM   #42
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat View Post
How does this even happen with the tough, crappy Dakota leather? Not doubting you, but the stuff is virtually indistinguishable from leatherette...
Personally I like the Dakota leather! It seems very tough & durable and has a nice matte finish when new. You can't expect the finest quality leather when getting it for free (which it is on M sport here in the UK)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #43
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
My Sensatec upholstery on my front driver's seat is starting to crack.

The car is a 2014 335i RWD M Sport. It has about 79,500 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post

Wondering if you could use something like this to repair it?

https://www.permatex.com/products/sp...er-repair-kit/
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #44
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
Hella headlights were Halogen, Xenon or LED?
Halogens on this Nov 2012 production 328i. I had them aimed a tad higher, which helps, but am not decided on which bulb "upgrade" we'll try. My wife doesn't do much night driving.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0