F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > __
GetBMWParts

02-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #67
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Shell, $2.09 in northern N.J
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #68
1gkek
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

$1.69 in St Louis a few days ago. Back up to $1.90 today.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #69
401FlaGATOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i ZSP, F30 320i ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post

I don't like the gouging either, but I thank our President for guiding the energy policy that has led to this cheaper gas that won't raise much more than 50 cents this summer.

Just giving credit where due. Everyone, please don't show your ass trying to counter argue who influenced what. Fact is, gas isn't $4 per gallon and we all benefit.

I'm not gonna moon you but that is the biggest pile of horse manure I've seen in a while. Why don't you keep your political fantasies in the politics section where they belong instead of polluting this thread with your spam?

Last edited by 401FlaGATOR; 02-06-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #70
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 401FlaGATOR View Post
I'm not gonna moon you but that is the biggest pile of horse manure I've seen in a while. Why don't you keep your political fantasies in the politics section where they belong instead of polluting this thread with your spam?
Don't make me do to you on here what my school's football team does to yours on the field!

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #71
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
rolltide, I'm a little confused by your statement, being that you recently stated you have a PhD in economics. Granted, I only have a bachelor's in economics. But I can't think of any economist who claims the president has virtually any control at all over U.S. gas prices.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/04/01....html?referer=
Respectfully, That's just not the case.

What I wrote was thanking the president for setting the energy policy that he did. Think of the decision on the Keystone Pipeline. Reason why it wasn't implemented is the current energy situation; cheap gas.

Oil is currently trading around $29 per barrel, down from $98 per barrel in June 2014. These conditions were created from a number of converging situations; fracking, shale, Gulf oil, OPEC policy, emission policy, economic downturn in China, strategy to neutralize Russian global economic impact, etc.

Sorry guys, but much of the above were political decisions. If that pipeline were allowed to be made, it would have been an absolute economic disaster that would be a failed investment with a large environmental threat capacity to boot. The president and his energy and economic advisors foresaw these conditions and made the wise decision. They also helped to create some of the conditions, many of which were carried over from the last president.

Those of us who monitor the economy and investing closely knew this also, but we also know that these conditions will not last beyond the next 4-5 years. Even still, the time to divest of Oil and Gas was 2014, which is exactly when I did dump most of my stock in these commodities; stock which I'd held since April 1999. Still own a little, but not much anymore. There are newer emerging energy markets that look more promising for the next 10-15 years. Now is the time to research and possibly invest in these areas.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #72
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

20c/liter for diesel

A week ago I took my X5 for a fill up. I had racked up a 90c off per gallon from my stop and shop rewards card.

I went to a Shell gas station where diesel was 1.69/gallon. Less the 90c/gallon I ended up paying 79c/gallon and 17 gallons translated to about $14. Well that was rather cheap.

It occurred to me that the guys in the Middle East must be paying similar prices so I got on the phone with my ME'n friend to find out how much they are paying for gas over there. He is in Qatar. They are paying 40c/liter.

These prices are just ridiculously low these days who would have thought that this would happen a year or two ago

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #73
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Dont even get me started on gas prices in Socal. We have so many added taxes it ridiculous. I believe we have the highest prices in the US, only Europeans get more screwed, though they pay by the liter so they must be getting a better deal.
It's currently $1.5 per liter / or $5.67 per US Gallon here and it's not been that low since the 90's maybe, at one point we were getting towards $10.00 per US gallon..

On the flip side, all our fuel is 95 / 97 RON..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #74
raqautle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 340i X-Drive M Sport EBII

Garage List
I saw here it was 2.33 for regular, 3.xx for the middle grade and 4.74 for premium, I was thinking to myself this premium price is getting out of control!
Then I woke up from my dream. Thanks guys, giving me nightmares
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #75
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqautle View Post
I saw here it was 2.33 for regular, 3.xx for the middle grade and 4.74 for premium, I was thinking to myself this premium price is getting out of control!
Then I woke up from my dream. Thanks guys, giving me nightmares
Are those prices serious? Crazy to be that high even in NY.

Bad part is, just like Europe, fuel taxes are so high in some states, NY, CA, etc, the prices are still inflated.

Now, this same president want's to impose a $10 per barrel tax for investing in alternative fuels. I am totally against this sort of crap. We the people can't keep anything. Every dollar saved is some politician's next tax increase.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #76
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

I don't look at the gas prices, I fill my car up when it needs to be filled. I'm not rich by any means, but you need to pay to play.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #77
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1123
I don't look at the gas prices, I fill my car up when it needs to be filled. I'm not rich by any means, but you need to pay to play.
Hate to tell you, but statements like that show you're not rich. Rich people go out of their way to not waste money.

No shame in finding the cheapest station in your area; that's smart money.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #78
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hate to tell you, but statements like that show you're not rich. Rich people go out of their way to not waste money.

Who cares if he / she's rich? Doesn't matter in the slightest.

Also "smart money"? You've bought a BMW, if you'd bought a Ford Fiesta the price difference would of covered you for thousands upon thousands of miles in fuel.

You can't say smart money and BMW in the same sentence. They are cars to enjoy...

Last edited by Firaxis; 02-07-2016 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #79
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaxis
Quote:

Who cares if he / she's rich? Doesn't matter in the slightest.

Also "smart money"? You've bought a BMW, if you'd bought a Ford Fiesta the price difference would of covered you for thousands upon thousands of miles in fuel.

You can't say smart money and BMW in the same sentence. They are cars to enjoy...
That's all a matter of perspective. Maybe for me a BMW "is" my Ford Fiesta....

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #80
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:

Being "rich" is such a nebulous term...I already said I am not. I save money when necessary, but a couple dollars extra of gas expenses on a weekly basis is inconsequential.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #81
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Then it seriously begs the question why fuel is a concern in the slightest? I'm not feeling the logic here..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #82
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Being "rich" is such a nebulous term...I already said I am not. I save money when necessary, but a couple dollars extra of gas expenses on a weekly basis is inconsequential.
I know that's what you said. Was addressing the flippant statement about not caring about gas prices.

We all should care about gas prices. You and I may have the extra dollars to pay for the expensive gas for our luxury cars, but these costs do affect so many families.

If you're not rich, I'm saying that you may never be if you knowingly waste your money. If you can save 10 cents per gallon, advised that you do so.

I'd rather see you save money here and there so maybe one day you CAN be rich; would be happy if it happened for you.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #83
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Then it seriously begs the question why fuel is a concern in the slightest? I'm not feeling the logic here..
You're missing the point totally.

For some people, it could be "buy the Bentley, or just the BMW?" In this scenario, the BMW was smart money.

Yet, knowingly wasting money where you could have saved isn't.

Follow?

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #84
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:

For some people, it could be "buy the Bentley, or just the BMW?" In this scenario, the BMW was smart money.

Follow?
The point is, it doesn't matter.. In the slightest, if you buy a Bentley, or a BMW you've willingly wasted money. A $140.00 a month lease car will get you from A to B, you don't need anything with more than 120HP..

The difference you could of put in savings, you don't really need a big TV and neither do you need to eat out. It's all a waste of money..

But two things, firstly you can't take it with you when you're gone. Secondly what's the issue with wasting money if it doesn't have any bearing on your life?

I don't actively try to throw away money, then again I've worked hard and if convenience takes centre place then so be it. It'll have no impact...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 05:51 AM   #85
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Follow?
The point is, it doesn't matter.. In the slightest, if you buy a Bentley, or a BMW you've willingly wasted money. A $140.00 a month lease car will get you from A to B, you don't need anything with more than 120HP..

The difference you could of put in savings, you don't really need a big TV and neither do you need to eat out. It's all a waste of money..

But two things, firstly you can't take it with you when you're gone. Secondly what's the issue with wasting money if it doesn't have any bearing on your life?

I don't actively try to throw away money, then again I've worked hard and if convenience takes centre place then so be it. It'll have no impact...
I know what you're trying to say, but you're on a slippery slope.

Very difficult to argue what someone needs. To a New Yorker in Manhattan, South Shore Boston, or Inner Loop Chicago, they could argue that you don't need a car at all. However, someone in LA, or even Birmingham may say it is a necessity; this is perspective.

Same goes for value. This is what you're hinging your argument on, but all transactions are not a value proposition. Some transactions can simply be a want. Some wants can masquerade as needs, based on perspective; that word again...

To someone with fund liquidity, a Ford, whatever, may not even exist to them. To someone who just works hard, got a good education, has a nice job; that BMW could be more than a want. It could also be more than a symbol to a car enthusiast. To them, the BMW is an opportunity. That opportunity is to do whatever the hell they want.

Also, the cliché "you can't take it with you" is kinda silly. Taking it with you following death; who cares? This is about living to the fullest in the time we have here.

Why haven't I run out and bought that 911 GT3? Good question, but likely so I'll get to still live nicely once I'm gone through my son.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #86
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I know what you're trying to say, but you're on a slippery slope.

Very difficult to argue what someone needs. To a New Yorker in Manhattan, South Shore Boston, or Inner Loop Chicago, they could argue that you don't need a car at all. However, someone in LA, or even Birmingham may say it is a necessity; this is perspective.

Same goes for value. This is what you're hinging your argument on, but all transactions are not a value proposition. Some transactions can simply be a want. Some wants can masquerade as needs, based on perspective; that word again...

To someone with fund liquidity, a Ford, whatever, may not even exist to them. To someone who just works hard, got a good education, has a nice job; that BMW could be more than a want. It could also be more than a symbol to a car enthusiast. To them, the BMW is an opportunity. That opportunity is to do whatever the hell they want.

Also, the cliché "you can't take it with you" is kinda silly. Taking it with you following death; who cares? This is about living to the fullest in the time we have here.

Why haven't I run out and bought that 911 GT3? Good question, but likely so I'll get to still live nicely once I'm gone through my son.
How am I on a "slippery slope"? You have no idea about my fiscal outlay.

I'll give you this one, you can't say what someone "needs". But I can gurantee nobody actually "requires" a luxury sedan, they are a waste of money no matter how you swing it.

If they have amassed a large sum of "liquid funds", then they don't need to worry about fuel.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #87
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32
Quote:

Actually no.. Smart money is the opportunity cost of not driving an extra 10 miles for cheap gas; on top of wasting time that could be used more efficiently doing other tasks. Econ 101

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #88
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32
Quote:

Actually no.. Smart money is the opportunity cost of not driving an extra 10 miles for cheap gas; on top of wasting time that could be used more efficiently doing other tasks. Econ 101
True, but what if it's not 10 miles and only a half mile? The opportunity cost is relative to the extra investment to obtain.

This can go in a loop forever when we control for environmental differences.

Smart money in my example was not knowingly wasting money when alternatives may exist, unless what obtained has a high personal utility.

Some say luxury cars are not necessary, but nether is buying clothes from anywhere other than Wal-Mart, but that doesn't tell the entire story. What is the value of perceived quality?

Why is a Rolex better than a Timex? At some point, returns diminish, but that's relative to the buyer.

Appreciate 0