F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Amaro Brown Trim Advice
proTUNING Freaks

02-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
Raygun
Rep
Drives: depends on the day

Amaro Brown Trim Advice

After a lot of thinking, ive decided on an exterior and interior color on a fully loaded 328i: Estoril blue on Amaro brown (tan). The last thing i need help with is the trim. Im not too big a fan of wood, so maybe aluminum hexagon with black high gloss highlight (or estoril blue strip). Or piano black. HELP!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Neither, get Anthracite!

I have Mocha, which from memory, is a very similar colour to Amaro and I have Anthracite.

It is wood but it is not an "old man" timber veneer look.

IMO the aluminium is just too bright and I think it looks cheap, especially with the coloured trim piece. Piano black will show a lot of finger prints and looks boring.

Each to their own though.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

If you are actually able to order a 3-series with individual Merino leather in the U.S., I believe you will be the first on this forum. I've seen it on a 4-series 'vert and maybe a GC, but never an F30.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Here's a pic of mine, I think the Amaro might be a bit "brighter" though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post
If you are actually able to order a 3-series with individual Merino leather in the U.S., I believe you will be the first on this forum. I've seen it on a 4-series 'vert and maybe a GC, but never an F30.
This. You won't be able to order Individual composition on a 328...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
SsixHiMod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something with a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003
Here's a pic of mine, I think the Amaro might be a bit "brighter" though.
Is this one of those self driving cars? Look mom! No steering wheel!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak102 View Post
Is this one of those self driving cars? Look mom! No steering wheel!
I just photo shopped it out for convenience.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun View Post
After a lot of thinking, ive decided on an exterior and interior color on a fully loaded 328i: Estoril blue on Amaro brown (tan). The last thing i need help with is the trim. Im not too big a fan of wood, so maybe aluminum hexagon with black high gloss highlight (or estoril blue strip). Or piano black. HELP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
That's not necessarily correct. If the OP has a VERY dedicated and well connected CA and dealer AND is willing to pay the price it can be done. It's not easy.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

02-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
That's not necessarily correct. If the OP has a VERY dedicated and well connected CA and dealer AND is willing to pay the price it can be done. It's not easy.
BMWNA intentionally limits Individual composition to higher line models and M cars. It's not a matter of being connected or having the coin. If it were, there would be all manner of custom 320is on the road. This policy may eventually change since other parts of the world are not restricted, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

As an aside, I spent a fair amount of time trying to make this happen when I originally ordered my 335i M Sport. I wanted to do paint and interior. I spoke directly to Maria Martine. You can be certain they would have been more than happy to take my money if they were able to.

My incoming M3 is going to be Individual composition (paint and interior), and even THAT took quite a bit of coordination with multiple layers of approval.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #10
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
Quote:
Not entirely true. It can be done.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #11
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BMWNA intentionally limits Individual composition to higher line models and M cars. It's not a matter of being connected or having the coin. If it were, there would be all manner of custom 320is on the road. This policy may eventually change since other parts of the world are not restricted, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

As an aside, I spent a fair amount of time trying to make this happen when I originally ordered my 335i M Sport. I wanted to do paint and interior. I spoke directly to Maria Martine. You can be certain they would have been more than happy to take my money if they were able to.
You might want to talk with this guy. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...568&highlight=

And these guys. You'll need to read through the thread. Ninong is a retired 30+ year dealership level BMW guy. Technic has gotten numerous Individual options. He is now so connected (and he's just an everyday customer) that he has direct contacts within Individual. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...al#post9434873

02-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #12
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
I don't think the issue is with Individual exterior, but Individual interior, specifically Merino Leather. Seeing as how OP wants Amaro, which is Merino, I wouldn't say it's impossible, but likely not gonna happen. Best of luck, OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
Bad news folks, I talked with the sales manager at The Bmw Store, Ric, and he said no go on the Merino. He said he talked to a guy/manager at BMWNA that handles individual options (Ric just ordered an M6 with over $15,000 worth of individual modifications, i saw the build sheet) and Ric said the guy at BMWNA said "no F30 in the country has Merino leather. And that if they (BMWNA) were to approve it, it would be $5,000 and take an additional 2 months."

So, take that as you will, but Ric did not even ask for a quote/time/price from BMWNA based upon the individual manager's comments. So its not happening for me, which is a bummer. I'm exactly 90 days away from ED pickup and I think they would have had plenty of time to build it, but apparently not . I'm disappointed, but oh well. Its possible that another dealership (read: different SA/manager) might have submitted it and received a response from BMWNA, but this dealership made it seem like it was not worth the effort (read: their time).
*Member referring to his ED order on a 2016 340i

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ght=individual
      02-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #13
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You might want to talk with this guy. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...568&highlight=

And these guys. You'll need to read through the thread. Ninong is a retired 30+ year dealership level BMW guy. Technic has gotten numerous Individual options. He is now so connected (and he's just an everyday customer) that he has direct contacts within Individual. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...al#post9434873
Let's see... in the first thread, he got paint and door sills. There's even a discussion (with you actually) about the fact that they wouldn't do merino leather for him. This thread was about Individual Merino so...

From the second thread you linked, this post by the 30+ year dealership level guy is interesting:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=17

I'm smart enough to never say never, but the odds of actually getting BMWNA to approve it on an F30 328i are infinitesimally small. I know it's "possible" to win the Powerball too, but I'm not writing any checks against my winnings until it actually happens. No sense creating a false hope for the OP. Instead of spending time trying to select colors, he needs to find out if it's actually an option.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #14
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
I don't think the issue is with Individual exterior, but Individual interior, specifically Merino Leather. Seeing as how OP wants Amaro, which is Merino, I wouldn't say it's impossible, but likely not gonna happen. Best of luck, OP!

*Member referring to his ED order on a 2016 340i

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ght=individual
I would not disagree with that. The guy I mentioned, Technic, has gotten so connected with Germany he got a personal tour of the M Division facility on his last ED. He has said that when he wants something non-standard now he calls Germany first to make arrangements, before he even lets his dealer know what he wants.

02-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #15
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Let's see... in the first thread, he got paint and door sills. There's even a discussion (with you actually) about the fact that they wouldn't do merino leather for him. This thread was about Individual Merino so...

From the second thread you linked, this post by the 30+ year dealership level guy is interesting:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=17

I'm smart enough to never say never, but the odds of actually getting BMWNA to approve it on an F30 328i are infinitesimally small. I know it's "possible" to win the Powerball too, but I'm not writing any checks against my winnings until it actually happens. No sense creating a false hope for the OP. Instead of spending time trying to select colors, he needs to find out if it's actually an option.
Just as there's no sense in telling someone it absolutely can't be done.

btw, the guy also got Individual Anthracite Maple interior trim.

Edit: You are right about the merino leather. Because of the crash test issue. It hasn't been certified for the F3x in the U.S. I had completely forgotten about that. We had quite a discussion about that in another thread. You can get alternate colors in Dakota leather, because it has been certified for the F3x in the U.S. Technically you can even get them to dye any color you want. So you could get Amaro in Dakota leather, but I'm sure the cost would be astronomical.

Last edited by tturedraider; 02-10-2016 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #16
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

Quote:
Edit: You are right about the merino leather. Because of the crash test issue. It hasn't been certified for the F3x in the U.S.
There are several U.S. 4-series on these forums (both 435i vert and 435 GC) with Merino leather; all evidence points toward BMW NA restricting Merino to the 4-series and up, and possibly only with the I6 engine option.

Probably a smart move on their part, because I would totally order a 320i ZSP with Merino and little else, which would cause a sh!tstorm among all the people with $60k 340i with Dakota. .
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #17
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are several U.S. 4-series on these forums (both 435i vert and 435 GC) with Merino leather; all evidence points toward BMW NA restricting Merino to the 4-series and up, and possibly only with the I6 engine option.

Probably a smart move on their part, because I would totally order a 320i ZSP with Merino and little else, which would cause a sh!tstorm among all the people with $60k 340i with Dakota. .
This is correct. The 4 series does indeed have access to the program in the US.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #18
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew
Quote:
Edit: You are right about the merino leather. Because of the crash test issue. It hasn't been certified for the F3x in the U.S.

This is already confirmed. 4 series cars are eligible for the Individual program in the US.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #19
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

The textured alum. is awful; by a mile my biggest regret with my car. Just looks cheap and out of place with the colored strip below it (which I also don't like).

Go with the wood.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0