F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 335i M Performance Power Kit INSTALLED (Review)
proTUNING Freaks

04-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #749
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocso1606 View Post
Hoping my car is finished tommorow!
Same here. The current status of my car is that it won't start...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #750
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
I am in the same boat as you but look at roundels pic of his MPE. He posted it when show ing the mperformance decals. It just looks cleaner. The stock also tends to have build up of exhaust fumes. I would get the MPE for the cleaner look and sound alone. I agree though the stock sounds fine but the MPE picks it up a notch.
I actually have the black exhaust tips (I have the Sportline, not M Sport), so it would change the look even more. Not sure how I feel about the stock black tips....they're definitely unique.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #751
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
They tell you why it wont start?
      04-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #752
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocso1606
Quote:
They tell you why it wont start?
Nope. The less I know the better... They still said I should have it back by Monday though. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #753
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Nope. The less I know the better... They still said I should have it back by Monday though. We'll see.
They installed the DME h/ware. The software in your car will not accept new h/ware w/out proper authentication by the mothership, BMW NA or Germany. As a result your car takes the most extreme measure, which is to completely shut down until the car hears from the mothership or God himself. Once IRAP is initiated, BMW will take care of it, otherwise only prayers will help you now.

Of course BMW will give your car the proper TLC Unfortunately the shut down phase is the step right before happiness, thats how it worked out for everyone with DME.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #754
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, can't find. Also, it's not a BOV as I was attacked last time I called it that.

I also wanna add that Dinh had posted the PPK without MPE, and someone posted PPK with MPE already. I haven't checked the front page in awhile, and they were up there. I actually like the way the stock exhaust sounds with MPPK (or maybe it's just the audio quality).

Manual MPPK w/ MPE

Manual MPPK w/ StockE + 0 miles

Manual MPPK w/ StockE + 250 miles
The MPE just makes the car sound more menacing. Stock and MPPK is fine and its ok to end there but I still would like to unleash the full potential of the sound from this. The mix of the revving sweet inline 6, the turbo whistles and the exhaust is just great. There is no need to achieve high speeds to enjoy the car (the car can let you do that too), its just great to just roll down your windows, drive within the speed limits and listen to those 3

Anyone with DHP who has rolled down the windows and listened to the suspension as it absorbs the road bumps in comfort or eco pro mode?

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #755
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They installed the DME h/ware. The software in your car will not accept new h/ware w/out proper authentication by the mothership, BMW NA or Germany. As a result your car takes the most extreme measure, which is to completely shut down until the car hears from the mothership or God himself. Once IRAP is initiated, BMW will take care of it, otherwise only prayers will help you now.

Of course BMW will give your car the proper TLC Unfortunately the shut down phase is the step right before happiness, thats how it worked out for everyone with DME.
I hope so. I told them to do the IRAP immediately though...grrr
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #756
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger
Quote:

I hope so. I told them to do the IRAP immediately though...grrr
I did too, don't worry we all got our cars back, your car is in the right hands now.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #757
Ed335xi m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011bmw x6 5.0

If you have a manual MPPK does the sports display changes from 320/320 to 320/400???
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #758
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed335xi m View Post
If you have a manual MPPK does the sports display changes from 320/320 to 320/400???
No.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #759
Ed335xi m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011bmw x6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed335xi m View Post
No.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #760
Blue75
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sport Line

Just following on from 300hp's comments above regarding the combination of the MPE and the MPPK....is there any functional/performance advantage to having the MPE over the stock exhaust once you get the MPPK?

Obviously there are audible improvements to the exhaust note/volume/burble etc with the MPE but is there any reason to assume a car with both the MPPK+MPE would be at all quicker than a car with just MPPK and stock exhaust (eg reduced back pressure or something??).

I am interested in the MPPK but the cost of these mods is significantly more here in Oz than you guys are paying in the US so gut feel is that if I am ok with the current stock exhaust sound then the MPPK is the one that actually gets me a "tangible" improvement (for lack of a better word). The combo of both might be stretching the budget but just checking that i would not be "hindering" the PPK from achieving its full potential if I didn't get the MPE as well.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #761
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue75 View Post
Just following on from 300hp's comments above regarding the combination of the MPE and the MPPK....is there any functional/performance advantage to having the MPE over the stock exhaust once you get the MPPK?

Obviously there are audible improvements to the exhaust note/volume/burble etc with the MPE but is there any reason to assume a car with both the MPPK+MPE would be at all quicker than a car with just MPPK and stock exhaust (eg reduced back pressure or something??).

I am interested in the MPPK but the cost of these mods is significantly more here in Oz than you guys are paying in the US so gut feel is that if I am ok with the current stock exhaust sound then the MPPK is the one that actually gets me a "tangible" improvement (for lack of a better word). The combo of both might be stretching the budget but just checking that i would not be "hindering" the PPK from achieving its full potential if I didn't get the MPE as well.

Many thanks.
MPE is for sound. BMW did an amazing job on building the stock exhaust from a performance aspect.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #762
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

For sure go for the MPPK. That will make a world of difference. The MPE would make a very modest contribution if at all. It is mainly an audible difference. You can always add it later as funds permit.

That is the route I am going. I actually think the next performance improvement I would make would be getting a set of lightweight forged wheels like HRE - shed like 20 lbs off of the rolling mass would make a big difference to feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #763
Blue75
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon
For sure go for the MPPK. That will make a world of difference. The MPE would make a very modest contribution if at all. It is mainly an audible difference. You can always add it later as funds permit.

That is the route I am going. I actually think the next performance improvement I would make would be getting a set of lightweight forged wheels like HRE - shed like 20 lbs off of the rolling mass would make a big difference to feel.
Thanks guys. One other lingering question...can anyone offer feedback on fuel consumption post MPPK installation?

I see the official spiel from BMW mentions no change, but if the comfort mode throttle mapping becomes more like sport mode post installation (as several posters have suggested) how can the mpg stay the same??
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #764
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue75
Quote:

Thanks guys. One other lingering question...can anyone offer feedback on fuel consumption post MPPK installation?

I see the official spiel from BMW mentions no change, but if the comfort mode throttle mapping becomes more like sport mode post installation (as several posters have suggested) how can the mpg stay the same??
Yes go for mppk. The sound is fine with the stock exhaust. MPE is a mod I want to get all the sound potential of the car with mppk. I am happy with the current set up though.

The mpg has remained the same for me since I picked the car up.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #765
djw007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i

Quote:

Many thanks.
I got the MPE for $1275 installed in Sydney...not too bad i think. Truth is though i can barely tell the difference between stock and MPE, very very small difference. Do you have a price for the PPK inc install?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #766
irishbrahmin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

I thought that BMW advertised that the PE adds about 5 hp and 3 ft-lbs of torque? (Not much, I know.)

Also, in 30 mins. I'm scheduled to have the MPPK installed on my '13 335i 6MT w/PE. I've printed out a lot of the helpful insights from this forum to give to my SA. Hopefully I'll get it back this evening!
      04-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #767
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue75
Quote:

For me when driving the same as before, it's slightly better.

The tune definitely leaned out the AF slightly.

When I'm on it, and pulling 50-100mph runs, it's not so great, lol.

Again, to tune a car, steering, and sound and not change MPG is a feat.

Non OEM tuners will really have to step it up...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #768
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:

Yes - I posted in this thread earlier that on a recent trip, driving mostly on the Interstate at 75-85 MPH in Comfort mode, I saw 31 MPG. On a shorter trip with more mixed driving, but with some brief periods of driving 90+, I got 28.5 MPG. This is consistent with what I was getting prior to the MPPK install.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #769
irishbrahmin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

So I just dropped my car off to have the PPK w/DME installed.

A few weeks ago my SA and I had discussed 1.5-2h of labor. Well, in the interim BMW has sent out an SIB (or what looks like an SIB) which says that the install is a 7h job. Fortunately, my dealership charges a slightly lower rate for installing performance parts. I'll also get a BMW CCA discount. Nevertheless, the cost will probably be a bit north of $1600.
      04-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #770
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

fuel economy after a month of driving, in similar conditions, is essentially the same.

I do mainly city to work and some highway on way home and still net around 22mpg.

As mentioned earlier, the "impact" of the PPK is felt mostly at highway speeds in passing situations... 50-90 range.

You will hit triple digits by accident when your mind thinks you're around 80mph