F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cool feature, find something, learn anything?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #1299
Jhero
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: W40 LBB M2 DCT

Just wondering if with PDC and frontal collision warning, if there is any automatic indication you are getting too close to the car in front of you w/o manually pressing the PDC button?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #1300
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhero View Post
Just wondering if with PDC and frontal collision warning, if there is any automatic indication you are getting too close to the car in front of you w/o manually pressing the PDC button?
Yes, on the 2016 models.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #1301
Alamat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi Sport Line

Is there a way to make the PDC be on all the time on 2014 models? My wife's Macan has it all the time so whenever something seems quite close it kicks in. Quite useful I might say.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #1302
mackannn
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428ix 2015 - Bmw 120d 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Yes, on the 2016 models.
How?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #1303
raqautle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 340i X-Drive M Sport EBII

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, on the 2016 models.
i think you mean 2015 models

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackannn View Post
How?
my 2015 X5 does it automatically when your driving slow, only a few MPH
i think there is also a setting to turn it off if u prefer
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #1304
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamat
Is there a way to make the PDC be on all the time on 2014 models? My wife's Macan has it all the time so whenever something seems quite close it kicks in. Quite useful I might say.
Does it auto turn on when she's in traffic and a car pulls up behind her? That would get annoying quickly I'd think.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:12 PM   #1305
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqautle View Post
i think you mean 2015 models

my 2015 X5 does it automatically when your driving slow, only a few MPH
i think there is also a setting to turn it off if u prefer
No, I mean 2016 F3x models. We're not talking about F15, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackannn View Post
How?
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1124143

Quote:
The Parking Assistant also includes the new Auto PDC function, which allows the Park Distance Control to switch on automatically when approaching an object at the front and display the remaining distance. When traffic jam situations with stop-start traffic are detected, the Auto PDC function is deactivated.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #1306
Jhero
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: W40 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1124143
Ok thanks for the link. Hopefully this can be enabled on 2014/2015 models?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #1307
raqautle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 340i X-Drive M Sport EBII

Garage List
Quote:
interesting, i assumed that it was software and all 2015 had them
is it all software or is there extra hardware involved?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #1308
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqautle View Post
interesting, i assumed that it was software and all 2015 had them
is it all software or is there extra hardware involved?
No one outside of BMW knows, until MY2016 cars start showing up. Or, one could study all the applicable parts on realoem.com for clues.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:06 AM   #1309
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhero View Post
PDC and collision warning are separate things... Collision warning will kick in with a loud audible and visual warning and can be sent to early medium late o think and after the warning if not driver intervention it will emergency brake.
But, I presume you're more after the same as Alamat asked about the auto on PDC? ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamat View Post
Wife's 2AT has this. And whilst it's good for the front when parking nose in (without previously engaging reverse as needed on my F30) it can get aggravating. It uses smart sensors apparently and ties into the speed and gear used. So in stop start traffic congestion it will go off.

As mentioned, the new F30 LCI will have this updated software (and presume hardware..?)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #1310
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

Think I may have found something that hasn't been stated yet and I don't recall seeing it in the manual. (Although I admit right away that I am too lazy to check manual first)

I think this feature is in our cars because of the optional traffic-sensing cruise control. I only have the regular cruise control, but the ability to apply brakes via cruise system seems to be in all cars with cruise control. I only noticed fairly recently that the slow-down button on the steering wheel has two stages. Push lightly and you get the normal coast-down until you let go. Hit the button hard and both the alternator goes into heavy charge mode and the brakes themselves get applied. You can slow down pretty fast this way. I assume the brake lights get applied as well when you use this. Anyone who knows more than me care to elaborate? Or, perhaps tell me that everyone knows about this and I'm stupid for missing all the comments about this all the time?

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #1311
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamat View Post
With the standard rear camera/PDC (Driver Assistance Package) when parking you can manually turn on the system with the switch on the shift console. It comes on anyway in reverse, but that doesn't do you any good when pulling into a spot headfirst. You can turn it on when in traffic if your speed is very slow, but it will turn off again when you hit 8 MPH or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #1312
drf36///
Renaissance man
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Dont know if this has been posted but the ambient lighting can be maxed out by

Increasing the brightness of ur instrument cluster with the scroll next to you headlight knob

Plus

Going into settings and adjusting it there itself

Maxing both these out gives the most brightness
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #1313
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
Think I may have found something that hasn't been stated yet and I don't recall seeing it in the manual. (Although I admit right away that I am too lazy to check manual first)

I think this feature is in our cars because of the optional traffic-sensing cruise control. I only have the regular cruise control, but the ability to apply brakes via cruise system seems to be in all cars with cruise control. I only noticed fairly recently that the slow-down button on the steering wheel has two stages. Push lightly and you get the normal coast-down until you let go. Hit the button hard and both the alternator goes into heavy charge mode and the brakes themselves get applied. You can slow down pretty fast this way. I assume the brake lights get applied as well when you use this. Anyone who knows more than me care to elaborate? Or, perhaps tell me that everyone knows about this and I'm stupid for missing all the comments about this all the time?
This is called dynamic cruise control and AFAIK is the 'standard' cruise in all BMW's now;

"Dynamic cruise control is an electronic cruise control system with an extra braking function. This also includes the Curve Speed Limiter that reduces the speed in curves for comfortable lateral acceleration. At the end of the curve the car accelerates and resumes the original speed. The driver can change this in increments of 1 or 10 km/h. Acceleration and deceleration in two dynamic settings can be controlled by manipulating the lever on the steering column or the paddle on the steering wheel (Comfort Dynamic system)."
Appreciate 3
      05-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #1314
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

I learned something cool about the Sport Auto. 14 435 Sport Auto. If you are in manual mode, shifting gears in the M mode, in order for me to pass someone or increase power, I'd need to downshift 1-2 gears to revive the power. However, I've learned that if you press the gas pedal past the resistence point (the click), the system chooses the lowest gear for you, and you're ready to fly. Very cool. So if you're crusing in 6th gear on the highway, and all of a sudden need the power or need to hear the grunt of the engine and exhaust, simply press the gas pedal all the way until the click, and it'll drop to the lowest gear to see those RPMs climb and hit the redline.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #1315
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
I learned something cool about the Sport Auto. 14 435 Sport Auto. If you are in manual mode, shifting gears in the M mode, in order for me to pass someone or increase power, I'd need to downshift 1-2 gears to revive the power. However, I've learned that if you press the gas pedal past the resistence point (the click), the system chooses the lowest gear for you, and you're ready to fly. Very cool. So if you're crusing in 6th gear on the highway, and all of a sudden need the power or need to hear the grunt of the engine and exhaust, simply press the gas pedal all the way until the click, and it'll drop to the lowest gear to see those RPMs climb and hit the redline.
That will be called 'kickdown' and is a feature of most if not all auto transmissions, as you say ideal for quick changes in velocity for passing
      05-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #1316
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
That will be called 'kickdown'
We're so lucky to have you .

When using manual shifting on the AT, the kickdown (or any other features of a normal AT) are disabled, except for the shiftdown when stopping, in case someone forgets to do it.

What he's specifying is a feature of this specific AT that will re enable the downshift.
Mostly for security, as the system senses that you really need to accelerate, so may be in problem and won't think about downshifting manually...
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #1317
DD335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BSM F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post

This is called dynamic cruise control and AFAIK is the 'standard' cruise in all BMW's now;

"Dynamic cruise control is an electronic cruise control system with an extra braking function. This also includes the Curve Speed Limiter that reduces the speed in curves for comfortable lateral acceleration. At the end of the curve the car accelerates and resumes the original speed. The driver can change this in increments of 1 or 10 km/h. Acceleration and deceleration in two dynamic settings can be controlled by manipulating the lever on the steering column or the paddle on the steering wheel (Comfort Dynamic system)."
Pretty cool!

South Florida Real Estate
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #1318
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post
We're so lucky to have you .

When using manual shifting on the AT, the kickdown (or any other features of a normal AT) are disabled, except for the shiftdown when stopping, in case someone forgets to do it.

What he's specifying is a feature of this specific AT that will re enable the downshift.
Mostly for security, as the system senses that you really need to accelerate, so may be in problem and won't think about downshifting manually...
Bingo! That's it!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #1319
juan2mini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i, Mineral Grey, Stick

Unlocking & Email Address

Thanks for all the information on the features in our cars. Using the BMW remote app. on my iphone I cannot unlock my doors. I am just referred to the BMW phone #. Is that the case for everybody or am I missing something? I just received an email from BMW & signed up for their internet access. Is there an easy (voice active?) way to enter website addresses, or do I have to use the "letter" method? If I have to use the letter method. where is the period for .com. I know I can write the letters but being left handed it is a slow, error filled process. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #1320
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan2mini View Post
Thanks for all the information on the features in our cars. Using the BMW remote app. on my iphone I cannot unlock my doors. I am just referred to the BMW phone #. Is that the case for everybody or am I missing something? I just received an email from BMW & signed up for their internet access. Is there an easy (voice active?) way to enter website addresses, or do I have to use the "letter" method? If I have to use the letter method. where is the period for .com. I know I can write the letters but being left handed it is a slow, error filled process. Thanks
Same for me. Easy to lock with phone app, unlock request refers you to call BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0