F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Replacing broken electrical connection / wiring on thermostat
Extreme Powerhouse

03-06-2024, 04:50 PM   #1
mcstyle
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Grand Coupe

Replacing broken electrical connection / wiring on thermostat

I took my 435i in following a P0597 code, thinking that my thermostat was going to need replacing, but they actually found the electrical connection wires to the thermostat were severed (maybe gnawed on per pic). They also quoted me $475 to replace the plug, wiring, harness...which sounds insane.

Few questions...

1) can I just get a new plug/connection and splice it to the existing wires?
2) am I going to have to remove the radiator fan (as I've seen in videos for replacing the thermostat) to get the necessary access to the connector?
3) is it a big deal if my thermostat is stuck in the open position? I get that it isn't ideal and will take longer to reach temp, but kinda wondering if I could live with it until I DO need to replace the thermostat (I'm at 75k miles...so maybe not far off)

Thanks for any advice!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 06:51 PM   #2
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

The thermostat is naturally closed. The electrical connection is for a heater that will artificially open the thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 11:53 AM   #3
mcstyle
Rep

So my thermostat is probably still opening and closing as it should, despite this error code? I just don't have visibility to whether it's functioning properly without this electrical connection?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 01:56 PM   #4
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

The electrical connection gives 0 indication if the thermostat works. The electrical connection is a heater that opens the thermostat before the coolant is at the proper temperature. Increased fuel consumption, increased emissions, failed most inspections
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 03:02 PM   #5
mcstyle
Rep

First off, I really appreciate the help. I'm obviously not too knowledgeable on this and am only going by what the shop told me. To take a step back, are you saying that the error code P0597 does NOT have to do with the severed electrical connection to the heating element? My mechanic said it wasn't my thermostat, but I'm not sure how he would know that. He just found the broken wiring and quoted me $500. This IS a shop that works on BMWs, so I generally put a fair amount of faith in their diagnosis, but they've been wrong before. Again, really appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0