F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Help with my MINI
Studio RSR

04-20-2015, 05:39 AM   #1
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d xdrive MSport+ Auto

Help with my MINI

Hi all,

I understand this is a bit off topic however, I am not getting any luck with the MINI forum and members over here are exteremly helpful.

I have an eight days old F56 (MINI COOPER), few days ago I found a bit pulsation through the steering wheel when the stop start kicked in. I hear a constant humming/pumping sound along with the pulsation/feedback through the steering wheel when the stop start system is active. If I am right in saying it sounds like your home gas radiator.

I am finding it bit strange. Not sure if it is a pump, fan or some another part.

Please help before I knock on the dealer's door.

Appreciate 1
      04-20-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
roshambo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Sport

The best help I can give you is to advise you to turn start/stop off as soon as you start the engine?
      04-20-2015, 05:47 AM   #3
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

what's wrong with nipping to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #4
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusdorange View Post
what's wrong with nipping to the dealer?

Its just I wanted to see if its normal. I think I'll have to call the dealer then.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshambo View Post
The best help I can give you is to advise you to turn start/stop off as soon as you start the engine?
I am sure that'll work.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
awd2510
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 328i modern

My wife picked up her new 5dr cooper two weeks ago. Generally we turn start stop off but when it's active and the engine stops, it's silent.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabhdutt View Post
Its just I wanted to see if its normal. I think I'll have to call the dealer then.
It's not normal. Our R56 Mini just turns off then silent so I'm sure the new ones would do the same.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Hi all,

I understand this is a bit off topic however, I am not getting any luck with the MINI forum and members over here are exteremly helpful.

I have an eight days old F56 (MINI COOPER), few days ago I found a bit pulsation through the steering wheel when the stop start kicked in. I hear a constant humming/pumping sound along with the pulsation/feedback through the steering wheel when the stop start system is active. If I am right in saying it sounds like your home gas radiator.

I am finding it bit strange. Not sure if it is a pump, fan or some another part.

Please help before I knock on the dealer's door.

It's silent and no vibration on stop start with swmbo mini. Sounds like there is a problem so take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #9
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
It's silent and no vibration on stop start with swmbo mini. Sounds like there is a problem so take it to the dealer.
Yes, I am taking to the dealer on Friday. It feels so strange, the whole stearing column has some pulsation going on. Lets see what the dealer comes back with. Hope its not a major thing.

I was so loving our 9 days old MINI.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am taking to the dealer on Friday. It feels so strange, the whole stearing column has some pulsation going on. Lets see what the dealer comes back with. Hope its not a major thing.

I was so loving our 9 days old MINI.
They are good go-kart like cars. I drove it today - Wow! At 1.2t it is nimble and holds the road like a limpet. It may not be the last word in ride quality, with sport suspension, but the steering feedback and feel are brill!

The pulsation thing is definitely not right - even today when the car had been heated by the sun and the a/c was trying its best to cool the car quickly, the ASS made the car fall silent except the internal fan.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR

Quote:
They are good go-kart like cars. I drove it today - Wow! At 1.2t it is nimble and holds the road like a limpet. It may not be the last word in ride quality, with sport suspension, but the steering feedback and feel are brill!

The pulsation thing is definitely not right - even today when the car had been heated by the sun and the a/c was trying its best to cool the car quickly, the ASS made the car fall silent except the internal fan.
Agree with ^ our R56 has been fab since purchase in January (17 months old) ride is as hard as CF on 17's but god is it fun this is the 1st car I have owned that won't be leaving the family for a very long time and it's only a One D LTD by the way

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:04 AM   #12
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have dropped my MINI at NINE ELMS this morning and the gentleman over there drove it and found it strange. He suggested that there may be something to do with the steering. The loan car feels absolutely fine.

I hope they resolve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 05:03 AM   #13
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Sounds like the electric steering motor is still running when the engine is off, I expect you'll get a new controller for the motor.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
Sounds like the electric steering motor is still running when the engine is off, I expect you'll get a new controller for the motor.
It does sound like a motor running even when the engine has come to a stop. Surprisingly, it does it randomly (probably 80%)..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 01:20 AM   #15
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

After a week of diagnostics the dealer came back with "we have tried 3 F56s and they all do the same thing". They made me drive other cars and yes they did make some kind of noise and pulsating however it wasnt as loud as my car. I have adjusted the steering wheel and it did make some difference. Their explanation given was; when the car comes to a stop, enging cuts off to save fuel however the steering motor stays on to make it go once you move the steering or press the clutch. They said there is a quality bracket and this behaviour falls under that hence not faulty.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #16
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
After a week of diagnostics the dealer came back with "we have tried 3 F56s and they all do the same thing". They made me drive other cars and yes they did make some kind of noise and pulsating however it wasnt as loud as my car. I have adjusted the steering wheel and it did make some difference. Their explanation given was; when the car comes to a stop, enging cuts off to save fuel however the steering motor stays on to make it go once you move the steering or press the clutch. They said there is a quality bracket and this behaviour falls under that hence not faulty.
Really? Is it age and model specific?

Mine's silent. No pulsing/vibration (but I will check again). iirc the steering is really stiff and turning it too much causes the engine to re-start (I'll check that too!)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #17
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Really? Is it age and model specific?

Mine's silent. No pulsing/vibration (but I will check again). iirc the steering is really stiff and turning it too much causes the engine to re-start (I'll check that too!)
Cheers Mate,

Once the car comes to a stop start then hold the steering wheel tightly and then you might feel some pulsation or I should say some motor running sensation through the steering wheel and then if you touch the center steering column near your knees and you might be able to feel the same sentation.

Apologies if I am sounding crazy here.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 04:11 AM   #18
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Cheers Mate,

Once the car comes to a stop start then hold the steering wheel tightly and then you might feel some pulsation or I should say some motor running sensation through the steering wheel and then if you touch the center steering column near your knees and you might be able to feel the same sentation.

Apologies if I am sounding crazy here.

Ok when for my Sunday morning spirited run - my god this mini is even better in the wet!

Tested the Auto Stop Start. Absolutely silent. No vibrations. Even when I put my ear against the steering wheel, I couldn't hear or feel anything.

Also moving the steering wheel left to right DID NOT restart the car and was not assisted. So not sure why the dealer thinks the electric motor keeps running. This must be a F30 thing that I got confused with.

Mine is a Apr 2014 build, if that helps.

If the other mini you drove had the same problem, maybe some models do keep the steering electric motor running
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 04:56 AM   #19
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok when for my Sunday morning spirited run - my god this mini is even better in the wet!

Tested the Auto Stop Start. Absolutely silent. No vibrations. Even when I put my ear against the steering wheel, I couldn't hear or feel anything.

Also moving the steering wheel left to right DID NOT restart the car and was not assisted. So not sure why the dealer thinks the electric motor keeps running. This must be a F30 thing that I got confused with.

Mine is a Apr 2014 build, if that helps.

If the other mini you drove had the same problem, maybe some models do keep the steering electric motor running
Cheers for doing that. Mine is F56 (Jan 2015 built) and the dealer made me try 3 different F56 Cooper Petrol they all bhaved the same way. May be all 3 minis I drove had issues with them. .

I am not going to let it keep me awake all night, I am going to enjoy my MINI and if it escalates them I shall take it to a different dealer.

Does this sound like a plan?

Cheers
Saurabh
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #20
tjlees
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Cheers for doing that. Mine is F56 (Jan 2015 built) and the dealer made me try 3 different F56 Cooper Petrol they all bhaved the same way. May be all 3 minis I drove had issues with them. .

I am not going to let it keep me awake all night, I am going to enjoy my MINI and if it escalates them I shall take it to a different dealer.

Cheers
Saurabh
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #21
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:

Cheers
Saurabh
Sounds like the most sensible plan, get a 2nd opinion so to speak. I find it strange that the motor would cause a noticeable vibration. I appreciate it would need to be active, but surely as an electric motor it just needs current to measure resistance and then restart the engine, rather than an actual mechanical motor so shouldn't have any vibration?

:

Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:15 AM   #22
BimmerD
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Sounds like the most sensible plan, get a 2nd opinion so to speak. I find it strange that the motor would cause a noticeable vibration. I appreciate it would need to be active, but surely as an electric motor it just needs current to measure resistance and then restart the engine, rather than an actual mechanical motor so shouldn't have any vibration?

:

Best of luck
Makes sense. I'll talk to another dealer..
Appreciate 0