F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M4 arriving tonight!
Extreme Powerhouse

04-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #23
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Evening everyone.

I must say it has been a lovely and expensive first 24 hours. I also discovered the car has telematics installed, but more on that later.

For about the last 12 years at a frequency of at least twice a year I hire cars. Be it for weddings (usually the case,) birthday's, anniversary, bonuses, etc. For me and my pals we just love an excuse.

There are two companies I use on a regular basis however neither of them had the M4 and there was nothing else within budget they did have available (at the last min which I left it until) that I fancied having.*

A friend of mine has been using a different company for about the last year and a bit and said he would give them a shout to see what they had available.
After ignoring the E350s etc, the only cars they had left at my budget it was either the M4 for a week or a V10 R8 for the weekend.
I am no fan of Audi and have driven many V8 R8s and three V10s. Really didn't fancy an oversized TT so the M4 was a no brainer.

I got it for £1350 with the increased mileage.
For those of you wondering about the deposit, my friend whom referred me only deals with the director of this company as he is considered a VIP customer due to frequency of incident free rentals he takes.
I also dealt with the director (nice chap called Ish) whom informed me that on the M4 he usually takes a deposit of £2000, but as the person whom had referred me had also vouched for me there would be no need to leave a deposit. He does this for his VIPs as do the other two organizations I usually use.*
As this was my first time renting from him I actually offered to leave the deposit but he declined.

For those of you interested in renting the M4 he has kindly agreed to let me give out his details as long as I plug his instagram page. (Please not his stock changes all the time and not all stock is on his page, so please call him to find out what's available.)

https://instagram.com/topflight_vip/

Apparently I'm the only Andy he knows, so if you don't mind let him know I gave you the details as this will earn me money off/extra mileage on my next rental from him. (More on that later too.)

Right down to business.

Car arrived slightly early, with a full tank and freshly cleaned.
After the obligatory going over the car for damage and signing it off he asked me if I wanted him to demonstrate the vehicle features and functions. He then looked over at my 3d and said "it will probably all be familiar to you."
I declined his offer to which the cheecky git asked me if I would mind signing to say that he had done the demonstration. (I did.)

I opened the door taking a second to admire the ///M logos on the seats illuminating on the lovely red seats at which point it was my disappointment to discover that the M4 was actually (very professionally using high quality material) wrapped white.
The original colour was black which I think would have looked much better.*

I then spent some time configuring the M buttons and other options as I wanted to make sure everything was set up properly.
M1 was configured for comfort.
M2 was configured for all out war.

I got the car at just before 23.00. Told the wife I was going out to play and didn't come back until 04.30.
Called in sick today (which is ridiculously rare for me so they all think I'm dying but will know better tomorrow when they see me turn up in this) and from midday until just now have been kicking the shit out of it.

At around 16.00 this afternoon I thought I would launch it. Found a nice spot and did. When I pulled up for fuel half an hour later the car would not start.
I was thinking to myself "this had to happen to me on my first rental from this guy."
I very nervously called him to let him know and he then informed me the telematics had detected very harsh acceleration, very harsh braking, and unusual latteral G force indicating deactivation of vehicles safety systems.
He told me one of his staff had remotely shut the car down.
He was very good about it, he basically told me if you have been using launch control please don't as it is even in the small print you are not allowed to. He said he was ok with the fast driving as long as it was done in the appropriate places and not for example doing 120mph in a 30mph zone.

With that amicably resolved he reactivated the car and let me crack on.

So after the first 24 hours what have I noticed and what do I think?

I have noticed that almost the entire hot hatch brigade want to drive up my arse in the hope I'll smoke them.

I have noticed that other F series drivers either admire the car or want to race it.

I've noticed that as much as I hate white cars they don't half bloody get some attention.

What do I think?

The looks:
I'm preaching to the choir here. See for yourself below. The thing looks friggin mean.
Love the different paddles, really love the seats.

Steering:
Hate it. I'm sorry but it feels very artificial no matter what mode it's in. I would go as far as to say the standard non VSS in my 3d has more feel and feedback to it.

Suspension / Handling:
The way I see it is that although this car COULD benefit from an ACS set up, by no means does it NEED it. I thought it was more than adequate for the car and could happily live with it on a day to day basis.

Driving Modes / DCT gearbox:
In comfort you would struggle (apart from the noise) to tell it apart from a 3d. It's very easy to drive and you don't feel knackered afterwards.
In sport plus the car just wants you to rape it. In first and sometimes second gear at low speed it is as jerky as a girl giving head for the first time. By no means is it anything like SMG though. I think with this box sports modes are truly only for when "sporting" and not for around town use.

Sound:
From the outside it sounds awesome. When the driver was pulling up I knew he had arrived.
From the inside, despite the piped in noise it also sounds nice.
But, and this is a big but, it does not have the right sound. It's that bloody turbo whooshing soundtrack. Never been a big fan.
At normal speeds however, it sounds very civilized and refined.

The engine:
Now you guys are going to think I'm crazy but I think it lacks punch.
At no point does it ever feel like a handful, it is all so "controlled."
It feels to me like BMW have deliberately held back on this so as not to take away M5/M6 sales.
At the same time though I think a PPK or a CSL version will sort out my perceived lack of grunt.
This car could have been so much more potent.

In a nutshell:
If I was doing less than 25k a year would I consider one as a daily drive?
At this moment in time no. I'd rather buy a used F10 M5.
When the M4's come down in price and there are nice used examples out there I would most certainly consider one as a project car. With the right things done to it the thing can be a weapon.

I've got an event on the weekend of the 9th of August and on the August bank holiday both of which I'll be renting cars for.
I really shouldn't be thinking this while I've got the M4, but I already know I wont be renting one of these again.

Lets see how I feel after having driven it a few more days.

Now for the events I have in August it will probably be an E63 for the first one.

For the second one (the bank holiday) I have shortlisted it to the following:

AMG GT
Gallardo (All Huracans I can get hold off already booked out.)
458 Spider
Mp412c

Ive had loads of Gallardos so know what they are all about.
I've driven one 458 and can honestly say I would not mind that.
Everyone's telling me the McLaren is the car most suited for me.
The AMG is something new which I have not even seen in the metal yet. However have rented SLS's and an SLR in the past and looking at the stats for the GT they are really not speaking to me.

What would you guys choose?

Appreciate 2
      04-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #24
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Can't seem to get the photos to work.

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/andy...jxaqr.jpg.html

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/andy...bjqcw.jpg.html

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/andy...v8mma.jpg.html

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/andy...fhqp3.jpg.html

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/andy...ledsd.jpg.html
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #25
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Nice write up!

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for that telephone call!

If you don't want folk to launch it the. They shouldn't have put it in the small print...

Merc AMG GT... New and rare!

I might need to do something like this for my 40th in September
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #26
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Nice write up!

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for that telephone call!

If you don't want folk to launch it the. They shouldn't have put it in the small print...

Merc AMG GT... New and rare!

I might need to do something like this for my 40th in September
Give me a shout near the time and I'll hook you up.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #27
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Fantastic write up

BUT BEGS THE QUESTION

You've got an M4 sitting outside

WHY ARE YOU ON YOUR COMPUTER GO DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #28
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Well done, great write up
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #29
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal27 View Post
Fantastic write up

BUT BEGS THE QUESTION

You've got an M4 sitting outside

WHY ARE YOU ON YOUR COMPUTER GO DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I'm exhausted and can't justify a fourth fill up within 24 hours!

I need a rest, so have given the keys to my pal that hooked me up with it for tonight.
He's under strict orders to have it back here no later than 05:00, which means he will probably turn up just as I need to leave for work at 09:00 and have the cheeck to ask for a lift home too.

Oh yeah, the wife's going insane too.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #30
roshambo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Sport

Awesome write up. Must say I didn't have the same feelings as you on my test drive as I came away wanting it but your driving history obliterates mine so you're used to that!

Is the mrs going ballistic in a good way?
      04-29-2015, 03:30 AM   #31
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Whom!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 03:51 AM   #32
rokut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cosmic EP3 Type R

Enjoying the write up a lot - thank you for the detail!

I for one wouldn't mind you putting up reports and pics of all the cars you'll be hiring if you have the time/ energy - great to have the insight and hear the nitty gritty about cars you don't need to defend because you've spent £80/ £150/ £200K + on
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 05:35 AM   #33
matt_320d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 640d GC M-Sport

Great write up, but I'd be a bit concerned about those telematics..

Lets suppose...ahem...your foot had "slipped" a bit and you were doing ...ahem...80mph...instead of a nice legal 70mph...not terribly keen on the idea of a logged record of your misdeeds.

Should someone see you doing *cough* 80mph and decide to report you to the police, they search the plate, go to the company and request the telematics data and...err...yeah....well, it might not look too good.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:20 AM   #34
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Enjoyed the write up, many thanks.

Writing this reply whilst sitting in a rented Renault scenic
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #35
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Great write-up! Although maybe not what some would want to hear with regards a couple of things! (I dont mean this in a bad way ).

How many miles you done in it with all that driving?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #36
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_320d View Post

Lets suppose...ahem...your foot had "slipped" a bit and you were doing ...ahem...80mph...instead of a nice legal 70mph...not terribly keen on the idea of a logged record of your misdeeds.

Should someone see you doing *cough* 80mph and decide to report you to the police, they search the plate, go to the company and request the telematics data and...err...yeah....well, it might not look too good.

Lovely write up and sounds like a fun few days.

On the telematics, a number of places are fitting.

In previous job, if was going some place would pop to MT and book out a Zafira, Astra etc. then drive say 400 miles to some place.

The trip was monitored via telematics (GPRS data feed love naked to GPS) you could see via 3 traffic lights on dash how things were going, you were allowed ambers but not reds. The highest number of reds reported in a month was about 10 for the entire station. However on one trip I managed to generate 120 red warnings, due to either going to fast, braking to hard, taking corners to hard.

Had a stand to attention talking too after that one

I did ask for a printed out map of my trip, however they got upset at that point...

Anyhow, back to the post, would love reading people's reviews of other cars, even bog standard types, always nice getting a non jorno view of things.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #37
mgwest76
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thanks for sharing your views. Having recently switched to an F80 I have some similar thoughts to you.

I like the fact it can be pretty docile, as easy to drive as any F30 if you've got everything set to comfort/efficient etc.

The steering is pretty heavy in comfort but anything else doesn't feel quite right either.

But mostly I agree that it doesn't feel like it's got as much punch as my former 335d certainly when you're already going maybe 60 or 70. I have the DCT box and find you really have to wok that using the paddles to exploit any of what this car can do (albeit I haven't reached run in service vs a 12k miles car).

IMO I wouldn't want a manual M3/4 despite everyone saying manuals are proper drivers cars, you'd be changing gears an awful lot and in that time a decent 330/335 with the 8 speed auto box is going to leave you with some catching up to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and can't wait for it to loosen up but anyone coming out of a top end F30 with auto box has already been spoilt with a cracking engine/gearbox combo which you have to do very little to get the max out of, this just takes more effort.

Does sound quite good too and is definitely a head turner already have had several near misses with people trying to get a better look. As I've mentioned before though, you can't justify this car when the F30's have been very good it's just a case of wanting one.
      05-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #38
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

Well it's been five days now and I can honestly say that this is a bloody good and bloody fun car, but my initial opinions have still not changed and probably won't.

I've booked the cars today for the two weekends in August, but I will go into that further after responding to some of your comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_320d View Post

Lets suppose...ahem...your foot had "slipped" a bit and you were doing ...ahem...80mph...instead of a nice legal 70mph...not terribly keen on the idea of a logged record of your misdeeds.*

Unless you kill someone or write the car off drink driving or commit a serious crime in or using the car, the police will not realistically approach the hire company. Further to this they would have to know there are telematics installed in the car to request the data.

As long as you don't totally thrash the car or take the piss with speeding you don't have to be worried about telematics being installed in the car. You have to remember the car you are hiring belongs to a small company or a private individual whom has given it to the company to make money on. They want to make sure their asset is not at risk of being seriously damaged and this is their way of doing so. Also a lot of insurance companys will not sell the hire company the insurance in the first place unless telematics are installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Great write-up! Although maybe not what some would want to hear with regards a couple of things! (I dont mean this in a bad way ).

How many miles you done in it with all that driving?
I have around 350 remaining. This thing is not cheap to run if you drive it reasonably hard. Don't think I've got above 16mpg yet.*
A full tank is mid 60 quids and will do you all of 160 miles if you drive it like I have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwest76 View Post
Thanks for sharing your views. Having recently switched to an F80 I have some similar thoughts to you.

I like the fact it can be pretty docile, as easy to drive as any F30 if you've got everything set to comfort/efficient etc.

The steering is pretty heavy in comfort but anything else doesn't feel quite right either.

But mostly I agree that it doesn't feel like it's got as much punch as my former 335d certainly when you're already going maybe 60 or 70. I have the DCT box and find you really have to wok that using the paddles to exploit any of what this car can do (albeit I haven't reached run in service vs a 12k miles car).

IMO I wouldn't want a manual M3/4 despite everyone saying manuals are proper drivers cars, you'd be changing gears an awful lot and in that time a decent 330/335 with the 8 speed auto box is going to leave you with some catching up to do.
Don't get me wrong, I love the car and can't wait for it to loosen up but anyone coming out of a top end F30 with auto box has already been spoilt with a cracking engine/gearbox combo which you have to do very little to get the max out of, this just takes more effort.

Does sound quite good too and is definitely a head turner already have had several near misses with people trying to get a better look. As I've mentioned before though, you can't justify this car when the F30's have been very good it's just a case of wanting one.
You my friend have hit the nail on the head on few things, especially having to work the paddles hard to get the most out of the car.*You constantly have to hammer through gears.

You are also right about us being spoiled in the sense that the engine gearbox combinations in our day to day cars are too good. The ZF is truly effortless in comparison to DCT.

If you own an F30 already there really is very little justification in switching to an F80 other than you wanting it that much.

Right, onto the subject of my next rentals.

For the August bank holiday weekend:

I could not justify the AMG GT. Reason being that on paper it is slower than it's predecessors.*
There is no way I'm going to spend £1600 odd quid on something I know will not satisfy me.
It's the equivalent of going with an ugly hooker. You are only doing it for the sake of it and not because you really want to.

The Ferrari 458 is off the list now as someone else has booked it. The good news is it's one of my pals that has booked it so I'll be getting to have a thorough go in it.

Someone has beaten me to booking the McLaren, so it looks like this one is on the wish list for next time.

Which leaves the good old Gallardo.
I have driven a good half dozen or so Gallardos in my time, so was not really feeling getting one again.......that is until I was told it is a variant of Gallardo I have not had yet.
This one is a LP 570-4 Spyder Performante.
It's basically a superlegera convertible.
Apparently it's lighter, faster, etc. So for four days in August that will be me. Obviously pics and report will be posted at the time.
£1900 quid for Friday to Tuesday with 400 mile allowance.

Now for the weekend of the 9th my pals have already booked their cars. (All of which I will be having a go in.)

Lamborghini Gallardo - A particular example I have previously rented myself.
Rolls Royce Ghost - another one I have already had and was not within budget for me for this occasion.
Bentley Continental GT W12
Bentley Continental GTC V8 - One I rented around this time last year. Didn't fancy it again.
Bentley Mulsanne.
Range Rover Vogue supercharged.

I was originally penciled in to have an E63 however have been told it will be de-fleated by the time I need it due to the mileage it is racking up at the moment. Which leaves me with a C63*
To say I'm pissed off is an understatement.
I'm half tempted to not bother and just turn up in my 3d.

I'm contemplating taking out the AMG GT for this, but only if one of my mates goes halves with me. As I said before I don't want to spend that kind of money on something I know will essentially disappoint me.

I've told them to reserve the C63 (£500 for the weekend with unlimited mileage) for me for now, but I will be spending tomorrow hunting around to see what else I can get hold of.

Now I think I'm gonna have a couple of herbal cigs and then maybe take the M4 out for a rip around 2am outside the nightclubs looking for drunk skanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #39
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Oh no bummer, sounds like it wasn't quite the treat you were hoping. Never mind Im sure a Gallardo or another exotica will hit the spot. Good to try these things out.
      05-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #40
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Might be more the Mercedes than Justin paper stats?

If you're still up at 8am then you should make your way to Bedford autodrome and join us!

Depending on your luck with the skanks of course...
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #41
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Interesting comments about the difference or lack of difference between the 335d and M4 in terms of punch.

I went from a 335d to an F10 M5 and the difference is night and day, I was looking at and drove an F80 M3 seems like I made the right choice.
      05-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #42
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

If you're still up at 8am then you should make your way to Bedford autodrome and join us!

That's what I was thinking, but then deep down I still know it will be a let DowN. Anything with a hundred horses less than it's predecessor is not going to be as good.
Also it uses turbos, and I'm a sucker for a big naturally aspirated engine. The SLS had that, the GT does not.
No doubt at some point one of my mates will get it, but at this point in time I don't think it's a good idea.

The reason I don't think it is a good idea is because of Porsche.
I have owned two 996 Carreras and have rented a good few 996 and 997 Turbos.
Last year I rented a Turbo S.
Before I collected it I was thinking in my head it will probably be just a touch faster and better than a normal turbo.
How wrong was I.
This thing was like no other Porsche turbo I have ever driven. It was like it was another car.
Faster, better handling, better brakes, better steering, better looking.
I was astonished at what this thing could do.

This is the reasoning behind me booking the Lambo. Yes like the porker it is a special one, but something tells me this will be like no other Gallardo I have driven.

Tengo dude, another forum member on here I have met speaks very highly of you and if your in London on that weekend I'd be happy for you to ride shotgun while I show you what it's all about.
If it wasn't for the fact I habe to work tomorrow and don't have too much mileage left I would have been joining you guys tomorrow morning.
If you want to arrange something on either of those two weekends I'd be up for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #43
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The Lambo I will be dreaming about until August.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #44
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy
Quote:

That's what I was thinking, but then deep down I still know it will be a let DowN. Anything with a hundred horses less than it's predecessor is not going to be as good.
Also it uses turbos, and I'm a sucker for a big naturally aspirated engine. The SLS had that, the GT does not.
No doubt at some point one of my mates will get it, but at this point in time I don't think it's a good idea.

The reason I don't think it is a good idea is because of Porsche.
I have owned two 996 Carreras and have rented a good few 996 and 997 Turbos.
Last year I rented a Turbo S.
Before I collected it I was thinking in my head it will probably be just a touch faster and better than a normal turbo.
How wrong was I.
This thing was like no other Porsche turbo I have ever driven. It was like it was another car.
Faster, better handling, better brakes, better steering, better looking.
I was astonished at what this thing could do.

This is the reasoning behind me booking the Lambo. Yes like the porker it is a special one, but something tells me this will be like no other Gallardo I have driven.

Tengo dude, another forum member on here I have met speaks very highly of you and if your in London on that weekend I'd be happy for you to ride shotgun while I show you what it's all about.
If it wasn't for the fact I habe to work tomorrow and don't have too much mileage left I would have been joining you guys tomorrow morning.
If you want to arrange something on either of those two weekends I'd be up for it.
Cheers Andy, I'm only just outside London so can be arranged!
Appreciate 0