F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How do you change a wheel?
ARMA SPEED

04-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Because the locking nut is more delicate than an hexagonal nut i guess
All the bolts should be correctly torqued. It is true the locking part is more delicate, but is still strong enough to cope with normal tolerances. It is only when abused would the locking part shear off.

I despair at many tyre shops and their lack of engineering knowledge and bad practice.

I watched a guy use a torque wrench, he 'clicked' the torque value correctly and then gave it a good heave. I had to say something, just a vacant look in return.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #24
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Most tyre shops will use air guns for speed and on the normal bolts you are Ok. You have to take care with the locking bolt.
I would say the person responsible for this issue is the person who fitted the winter wheels, bet he used an air gun not a torque wrench!!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #25
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
A torque wrench !!!!

My dad just used to stand on the end of the wheel wrench to make sure his nuts were tight enough

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 01:29 AM   #26
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
Most tyre shops will use air guns for speed and on the normal bolts you are Ok. You have to take care with the locking bolt.
I would say the person responsible for this issue is the person who fitted the winter wheels, bet he used an air gun not a torque wrench!!
They should only use an air gun once nut has been cracked by a power bar.

When refitting, finger tight, then a torqued down air gun using the correct nut sequence, finally torque them on.

the number of times you see them walk up and use an air gun on max torque from the start and the socket bounces off and clashes on the vehicles wheel.

The first garage I worked at HGV & Heavy Plant, I could only torque some lighter vehicles, the heavy stuff, I weighed bugger all and was like a starved Spuggy.

Much to the delight of the fitters etc lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #27
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

My biggest issue when I was changing back to summers a month or so ago was not getting bolts out, but getting wheel off the hub.

Has to bash all 4 repeatedly with a club hammer via a block of wood. The bastards just didn't wanna go back into storage!
      04-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #28
SimNugget
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335XD

I had the same - rubber mallet needed on all 4!

I quite enjoy the bi-annual change over, gives me an opportunity to clean up the calipers, hubs and wheel arches, and apply some GTechniq to the calipers. Also gives me 6 months to thoroughly clean the set of wheels that are off.

My kit is:
Trolley Jack
Torque Wrench, simply a must and not that expensive.
Rubber puck thingy for the jack points.
Extendable wheel wrench, with electrical tape round the socket to prevent scratched.

S
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 03:58 PM   #29
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

[QUOTE=NISFAN;17825643]Used a gun to remove the locking nut? What an absolute dick.

You need a jack, trolley jack is preferable, make sure it has a low minimum height, and you need a BMW style jacking pad to fit the BMW jack block.

You need a breaker bar (half inch) and a 17mm long socket, preferably the ones with a sock on them. On the breaker bar, a straight one with swivel end is the best for control, rather than the bent end extendable type.

As mentioned a torque wrench is a good tool, but very expensive for the odd wheel change requirement.

Most importantly......technique!!! You can shear the lock nut pattern off quite easily with the wrong technique, so make you gen up on that too, otherwise you could have spent money to be in the same position.

Alternatively, just tell them to be careful with the lock nuts. Cost = zero[/QUOTEThat's what worries me, getting an outside party changing the tyres.

I'm possibly thinking of changing the run flats to non flat decent rubbers. I don't have the correct equipment to change over the tyres though.
I take it BMW dealers will change over non run flats with a substantial charge, more than than other tyre dealers ?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #30
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post
My biggest issue when I was changing back to summers a month or so ago was not getting bolts out, but getting wheel off the hub.

Has to bash all 4 repeatedly with a club hammer via a block of wood. The bastards just didn't wanna go back into storage!
Some copper grease on the hub where the wheel touches solves this for next time.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #31
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

^^^^^
Also the grease prevents the rust coming through.
Never had the rusting stained hubs since.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #32
Gorsh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F31 Luxury sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Some copper grease on the hub where the wheel touches solves this for next time.
+1

I have Coppaslip (think that's how it's spelt), assume it's same as copper grease. Brilliant stuff anyway, good on back and metal side edges of brake pads too.

For those of us who don't know (including me!), what is the torque setting on F3x wheel nuts please?

For Weekends and sunny days:
981 Boxster GTS

Last edited by Gorsh; 04-30-2015 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #33
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsh View Post
+1

I have Coppaslip (think that's how it's spelt), assume it's same as copper grease. Brilliant stuff anyway, good on back and metal side edges of brake pads too.

For those of us who don't know (including me!), what is the torque setting on F3x wheel nuts please?
Yep copper slip/ease/grease all same thing.

140nm
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 02:59 AM   #34
Gixerste
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 430D m sport, 340i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
Have to disagree with air guns and normal bolts are okay bit after having to snap a bolt head off with the biggest power bar I could get on one of my alloys, after they were put on with an air gun and also the damage done to the where the bolt seated !!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #35
sa12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post

I had this problem when I took the wheels off my e90 prior to part exchanging it. I had used copper slip but it didn't seem to make a difference this time as two of the wheels wouldn't budge even with a hammer. In the end I just lowered the jack very slowly until the weight of the car was on the wheel - came apart easily so did the same for the other one also.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #36
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

Interesting thread as this locking nut is identical to mine and I had the same issue (posted another thread about it already). In my case though it was the locking key that deformed/broke.

The new locking nut key looks different in how it's been manufactured. I will see if I can get some pics to show it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #37
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Don't forget the jacking point adapter....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Jack-P...item25862ea323

Even with an xDrive my trolley jack is similar to that and will not fit under the front until the rear has been raised (I can just get it under the rear) because of the adapter.

A low profile trolley jack is the best bet:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tra...ck-low-profile

I was jacking up on a piece of wood but this much better!
Appreciate 0