F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Where are the manuals?
ARMA SPEED

08-17-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

Where are the manuals?

I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2014 335i soon and I am finding it nearly impossible to find a manual transmission anywhere. I drove a 335i with the "sport auto" today and actually really liked it, but fear after the newness of the car wears off, I will regret not going for the manual. I did drive a manual Audi S5 right after the BMW and that car was quite nice as well. The S4/S5 are also extremely hard to find in manual I am told. If they really sell that briskly, maybe the dealers should order more of them? Of course I could just order a manual 2015 myself, but the deal will not be as good. Still considering it if I can't find something soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:23 AM   #2
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

They don't sell briskly. They just don't sell so the dealers don't order them. I would highly recommend getting the SAT. The shifts are lightning fast, way faster than you can ever shift in a manual. And if you really want to "feel more in touch with the car" you can still shift it whenever you want. There is just no clutch to push.

Personally, I've never seen the reason some people are so hung up on manuals, especially automatics are so much faster now. To me, it's like using a type writer instead of a computer because you like to slide the page over and white out letters yourself because it makes you feel closer to the machine. But to each his own.

(Let the flaming begin)
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

How do you know there aren't any? Have you gone to the dealerships personally or are you looking at their inventory online? I found that they aren't always accurate when you check via web. You may have to get a MY15. It's true, there are much fewer 6MTs brought in and they go quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:20 AM   #4
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

I couldn't test drive any current model BMW before I committed my order. So I ordered in blind faith. As it turns out, a 6MT mated to the N55 is a joyful thing. Sure, the ZF8AT may be faster, and more fuel efficient, but I find it hard to use the paddles when I'm twirling the steering wheel more than 90 degrees. And I certainly don't like the way Sports mode holds a lower gear to keep the engine speed up. Enjoy them while you still can.

| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 05:13 AM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Last time I was at the BMW Rosslyn factory they said around 95% of 3 Series built for the USA there were Automatics.
For other countries it was around 75% (Southern Africa, Australia, Japan, Singapore ect ect )
      08-17-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
TankerJoe
My other car is a... M1A2SEPv2 Abrams Tank
United_States
Rep
Drives: One Blue BMW

Manual gearbox is awesome

The 6MT is an absolutely great transmission! Regardless of whether it's mated to the 4 or 6 cylinder engine. Driving my 428i is pure driving excitement, definitely much more fun in sport mode.
As an aside, I've found recently that my 2014 F32 will hold on hills for 3 seconds and sometimes longer when engaging 1st and reverse to allow you to switch between pedals - never saw that advertised before.
Finally, after learning recently that the 2015 F30s and F32s will allow an independent switch to sport steering and sport transmission settings, I'd definitely wait to order a 2015.

BMW Car Club of America member #491133

Last edited by TankerJoe; 08-17-2014 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC2 View Post
I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2014 335i soon and I am finding it nearly impossible to find a manual transmission anywhere. I drove a 335i with the "sport auto" today and actually really liked it, but fear after the newness of the car wears off, I will regret not going for the manual. I did drive a manual Audi S5 right after the BMW and that car was quite nice as well. The S4/S5 are also extremely hard to find in manual I am told. If they really sell that briskly, maybe the dealers should order more of them? Of course I could just order a manual 2015 myself, but the deal will not be as good. Still considering it if I can't find something soon.
Briskly is the wrong word. Recent comments from BMW execs indicate that fewer than 10% of 3 and 1/2 series are bought with a manual. Google for "Klaus Frolich" and "Peter Wolf" BMW MANUAL if you want the original text.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS View Post
Sure, the ZF8AT may be faster, and more fuel efficient, but I find it hard to use the paddles when I'm twirling the steering wheel more than 90 degrees. And I certainly don't like the way Sports mode holds a lower gear to keep the engine speed up. Enjoy them while you still can.
[/img]
You could also use the transmission lever to change gears with either auto transmission, while you're in a turn. Alternatively, you could just turn your hands with the wheel and make it so that you have access to paddles during the turn (yes, it can be awkward, but you get used to it). Even though my F30 is not a manual, I'm totally on your side. Save the manuals, and give the consumer the choice to pick either manual or auto.
      08-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

In response to the various posts above, I really just prefer a manual, even if they are slower. I guess by selling "briskly" I was really just relaying what both dealers said. They said that they rarely get them in and when they do, they sell right away. It seems there may only be less than 10% of buyers that want a manual, but those buyers really, really want one. As far as searching inventory, I have been searching online as I don't have the time to drive or call all over the place. I do agree that online searches are misleading as the transmission is often not specified. I have been spending a lot of time finding cars online and opening the pictures to look at the interior and determine for myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Going, going, almost gone.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D LCI

I'd be lost without a manual, drove a few autos and just felt out of touch with the driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
jon102034050
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

it took a while for me to find a manual 335 to test drive, but once I did, I ordered mine immediately. So far, my 2014 has 3500 miles on it and I'm lovin it! So happy I didn't choose to settle with the auto.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
Bmwman325
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG CR 335 XI 6SP

I ended building my 335 because of this very reason. Anytime I would find a manual car at a dealer, it didn't have what I wanted on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
They don't sell briskly. They just don't sell so the dealers don't order them. I would highly recommend getting the SAT. The shifts are lightning fast, way faster than you can ever shift in a manual. And if you really want to "feel more in touch with the car" you can still shift it whenever you want. There is just no clutch to push.

Personally, I've never seen the reason some people are so hung up on manuals, especially automatics are so much faster now. To me, it's like using a type writer instead of a computer because you like to slide the page over and white out letters yourself because it makes you feel closer to the machine. But to each his own.

(Let the flaming begin)
Contact Peter at BMW of Escondido, he orders BMWs and told me his manuals sell quickly just last night. They order so few that when configured correctly they sell quickly. The ones that sit on the lot are often because the dealers order fully loaded, NAV, sunroof, full leather, executive package cars with a 6 speed. This configuration does not appeal to MT drivers which are generally more interested in rawness and function over fluff. I see it all the time with hideously configured cars and they throw a manual in there and complain about it not selling. Manuals sell still mostly because there are so few. Obviously, everyone has their taste and like you, I can't understand why anyone would want a sports car and take pride in 0-60 launches that a computer does for you? I don't get that. It's like a pilot putting the plane on auto-landing mode and coming in for a perfect 3 point touch down then erupting in joy......"who's your daddy!....best landing ever!!! Don't get that. I also don't get negotiating with the car to go go when in a full stop. You press the gas and car and computer says...OK, I'll roll forward now. Don't get that. I want to be the master of the car and tell it...you go now when I release the clutch.

Finally, I understand no one will ever change anything on these forums, they are really for our personal enjoyment and no good or change of opinion will ever come of them, but for posterity, your comparison to typewriter is off by quite a bit. The difference is more like playing drums, hitting the skins, sweating and feeling the beat the engine's music coursing through your body vs. Hitting a pre-recorded beat track on the Garage Band App. Yes, one takes more work and you sweat but there is art, pride and involvement that cannot be reproduced by the cyber drum set.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 2016 X5 35i, F25d

I just received my 2015 335i xDrive 6MT. Had to order from scratch since they didn't have any MT in stock. I did not add any features or packages to it since I wanted a pure driving experience. I am very happy with it and I'm about to surpass the 1k miles so I can drive it like it deserves. Plus, being a MT, I don't have to worry about my wife driving it!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #16
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep
Drives: 2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post

(Let the flaming begin)
See above: This is why they are rare. Who cares about 10ths of a second and mpg? You are not in touch with the car with an automatic, the computer is doing the work, not you, it's inorganic. There is nothing like the feeling of massaging the power of engine with a manual clutch and throttle. I truly feel sorry for the ignorance is bliss automatic crowd. You don't know what you're missing my friends...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #17
Rautha
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328ixDrive touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSA955 View Post
See above: This is why they are rare. Who cares about 10ths of a second and mpg? You are not in touch with the car with an automatic, the computer is doing the work, not you, it's inorganic. There is nothing like the feeling of massaging the power of engine with a manual clutch and throttle. I truly feel sorry for the ignorance is bliss automatic crowd. You don't know what you're missing my friends...
Agree 100% with above.

These days all the major "drawbacks" of an automatic have been engineered out for the most part. My current F31 is my 1st automatic car since I learned to drive in 1987!! Its really one of the few Auto cars I have ever driven that did not make me puke b/c of the auto. That being said, despite perhaps being a tenth or two faster to 100km and getting 1 mpg better, there is less of a connection with the car. I had my reasons for wanting a touring and the compromise was the 8AT. Luckily our other car is MT so when I miss that 3rd pedal I can grab my wife's Golf R and take it for a spin. Do I regret my decision? No. If MT was an option would I have gone for it? Yes. If per chance the wife's car was an auto and I was faced with having no MT in the household would I have bought what I did...prob not.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #18
NavM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07-335 coupe

I have had my Ed 435i manual rwd for over a month now in Vancouver BC Canada.... No regrets! We need more orders to keep them alive!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #19
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmex200 View Post
I just received my 2015 335i xDrive 6MT. Had to order from scratch since they didn't have any MT in stock. I did not add any features or packages to it since I wanted a pure driving experience. I am very happy with it and I'm about to surpass the 1k miles so I can drive it like it deserves. Plus, being a MT, I don't have to worry about my wife driving it!
Sehr interessant. Would have thought more manuals in Germany. I didn't even bother to look for a car, I just ordered what I wanted.
      08-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #20
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

I wonder if the MT sales shrinking to 10% is driven by customer demand or just BMW and the dealerships only ordering 10%. This would push the market towards autos except for die hards.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #21
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
I wonder if the MT sales shrinking to 10% is driven by customer demand or just BMW and the dealerships only ordering 10%. This would push the market towards autos except for die hards.
Most people seem amazed BMW even offers MT.

Only car enthusiasts want MT, I've never met anyone with the attitude of paying that much of a car, and not wanting AT.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #22
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Combination! Americans don't like to wait. They want to go pick a car and take it home that night. Europeans are more used to order cars. When you go to the dealer, the salespeople are trained to push you into an auto. They tell you all sorts of horror stories....no one will buy it after, you'll have to wait 6 months, this is better, blah blah. I'm immune to it now but they want to push you into auto. They call autos manuals or DCT instead of auto to make them seem the same and even list them on auto trader as manuals.
Appreciate 0