F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Will muffler delete compromise exhaust valve?
proTUNING Freaks

01-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
f30.nicpie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Will muffler delete compromise exhaust valve?

Hi all. I’m looking into exhaust modifications and want to explore the muffler/res delete option before jumping to a full system. However, I wanted to know if since the the exhaust valve system is not connected to the muffler, would a muffler delete get rid of this function?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30.nicpie View Post
Hi all. I’m looking into exhaust modifications and want to explore the muffler/res delete option before jumping to a full system. However, I wanted to know if since the the exhaust valve system is not connected to the muffler, would a muffler delete get rid of this function?
I think you answered your own question.... but for what it's worth yes. Yes it would.
Not many aftermarket exhausts allow you the option to keep the valve functionality. I installed an Active Autowerke axle-back and even though they allow me to re install the valve onto the muffler and even plug in the connector, it does nothing. Reason being the muffler is not equipped with the valve.
      01-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
f30.nicpie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

So basically i'd be left with a pointless valve and connector?

Is there anyway to override it and make it remote actuated instead of through the connector?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30.nicpie View Post
So basically i'd be left with a pointless valve and connector?

Is there anyway to override it and make it remote actuated instead of through the connector?
You'd still need the hardware (valve) to be built in to the muffler. I believe Fabspeed has that option but it's a pricey exhaust. If you're doing a muffler delete you are also getting rid of the valve that is built in to the muffler.
      01-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

It doesn't necessarily have to be. If you're considering a muffler delete, it would most likely be a custom set up. You could always cut up the stock muffler (remove the section where the stock valve is) and reuse it in the new custom set up. Not sure what the benefit would be though.

I remember reading one person on the forums did something similar and it ended up helping with drone because when the valve was closed, that part acted almost like a j-pipe. Didn't get much more info from them at the time though so I couldn't validate.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i MSport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOT335 View Post
It doesn't necessarily have to be. If you're considering a muffler delete, it would most likely be a custom set up. You could always cut up the stock muffler (remove the section where the stock valve is) and reuse it in the new custom set up. Not sure what the benefit would be though.
exactly. if you were going to have a shop fab up a muffler delete for you, they could re-use the stock tailpipes as they come out of the muffler, and the driver's side one includes the valve and the actuator.