F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Why I love my F30 (Yes another thread of this nature)
Studio RSR

10-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #45
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I feel the same way about my 328. Love it at the $37,800 or so I paid for it. $45-50-60k for the same interior and overall package-PASS.
Wow that's a good price for a M-sport. I paid about the same for a 328i no-line(with premium, lighting, wood trim, and alarm) after incentives(before tax and fee). It has been a great DD, I do feel the same about various options, it is mind-boggling that the same car can have same wide price range.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #46
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringonthenite View Post
Great post. I also love my 335i XDrive MSport with MPPK as well. 4 months in and I am still finding excuses to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Excellent write up! I loved mine from day one. I love it more since I added MPS last week. AND I will love it even more once I drop in PPK.
Thanks guys, glad you are loving your F30s, BMW did a good job with this one

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #47
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
They really didnt though...They succeeded in creating the next generation in the line up, yes...which is expected...also as expected, its better than the last model in virtually all ways.

What they did not do a good job on is perfect the system for real world use, hence the massive amount of issues with these cars. Frankly its pretty ridiculous, hearing what some people are going through. Im one of the lucky ones so far. My only complaints are the cabin is not insulated very well, the car creaks, and limp mode once. Others like you had catastrophic failure...on a brand new car...and even worst the people with the brake issues, not to mention what will be the biggest recall in BMW history. This is the flagship model...BMW should have invested much more into this!

I feel like they kinda of lolly gagged on the 3 so that the 4 can really be a cut above...I just drove my first 435 yesterday, and I really thrashed it on the highway for a test drive...much less wind noise/ exterior noise period. The car frankly feels much more solid when being pushed(but mine felt great on test drive too maybe Ive just broken it in ALOT). I still prefer the 3 in almost all ways, but I definitely feel like they engineered the 4 better, almost like the 3 was the ginny pig for the 4
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #48
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

well yes a loaded 335i is an expensive car (>55K MSRP usually). but that puts it in the price point of an Audi S4, which is appropriate after all.... You can make this same argument for a variety of auto manufacturers. saying that a 60K car is based on the same platform as a 32K car is a pointless statement. You bite off what you can chew right?
      10-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #49
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman
Quote:
They really didnt though...They succeeded in creating the next generation in the line up, yes...which is expected...also as expected, its better than the last model in virtually all ways.

What they did not do a good job on is perfect the system for real world use, hence the massive amount of issues with these cars. Frankly its pretty ridiculous, hearing what some people are going through. Im one of the lucky ones so far. My only complaints are the cabin is not insulated very well, the car creaks, and limp mode once. Others like you had catastrophic failure...on a brand new car...and even worst the people with the brake issues, not to mention what will be the biggest recall in BMW history. This is the flagship model...BMW should have invested much more into this!

I feel like they kinda of lolly gagged on the 3 so that the 4 can really be a cut above...I just drove my first 435 yesterday, and I really thrashed it on the highway for a test drive...much less wind noise/ exterior noise period. The car frankly feels much more solid when being pushed(but mine felt great on test drive too maybe Ive just broken it in ALOT). I still prefer the 3 in almost all ways, but I definitely feel like they engineered the 4 better, almost like the 3 was the ginny pig for the 4
There are several threads expressing the problems with the F30, I set up one myself for my drivetrain malfunction. At this stage I am in a happy place and I am happy with my F30. However your input is valuable, nothing wrong with having some sort of balance right

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #50
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp
Quote:
Quote:

There are several threads expressing the problems with the F30, I set up one myself for my drivetrain malfunction. At this stage I am in a happy place and I am happy with my F30. However your input is valuable, nothing wrong with having some sort of balance right
Agreed. I have had issues along the way as many on this forum have but the car is fantastic as a whole. I would also state that forum users are a minority. I have spoken to at least eight people (non forum) with various F30s (mine is the only MSport) and none of them have had issues.

Speaking of forums - I joined a mini forum for my wife - complaints. My friend has a 2012 Mustang GT California Edition - forum complaints. Another has an Infiniti Q60s - forum complaints.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #51
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post

Flagship model?? A 328i/335i? The forum - the valuable resource that it is - is only populated by a VERY small segment of BMW owners. Back when we were dealing with E46 M3 blown motor issues (..now THAT was a "problem and a half" on a flagship model, and I'm lucky that I didn't crash when my motor when "POOF"!!!), I could have taken the same stance as you with regards to complaints. BMW put a new motor in my car....case closed!!! My case along with quite a few others is the reason why BMW implemented the 10year/100k mile warranty that all of the E46 M3's received up through 2005 (..and maybe 2006 as well). It didn't shake my faith in the manufacturer or the quality of their cars. Cars will have issues, but the large majority of these cars will be problem free.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #52
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post

Flagship model?? A 328i/335i? The forum - the valuable resource that it is - is only populated by a VERY small segment of BMW owners. Back when we were dealing with E46 M3 blown motor issues (..now THAT was a "problem and a half" on a flagship model, and I'm lucky that I didn't crash when my motor when "POOF"!!!), I could have taken the same stance as you with regards to complaints. BMW put a new motor in my car....case closed!!! My case along with quite a few others is the reason why BMW implemented the 10year/100k mile warranty that all of the E46 M3's received up through 2005 (..and maybe 2006 as well). It didn't shake my faith in the manufacturer or the quality of their cars. Cars will have issues, but the large majority of these cars will be problem free.
+1

When I had my issue I got a 528i as a loaner with Nav. So I was not inconvenienced. If anything my experience with the 528i made me appreciate my F30 even more.

If the case is closed by the manufacturer it's done, we just move on.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #53
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
While I definitely agree with your sentiments, I do find it interesting that members who were already enrolled, such as 300HP, all the sudden have major mechanical failures. These people are not representative of the "few people who had problems and joined a forum to voice their displeasure." This is similar to the rusty seats thread, where people were literally saying "well, let me go check...OMG RUST!!!" The brake thing is a massive problem.

I think much of this is reason why it can be a problem to get the 1st year model, and it seems tech is changing at an ever greater rate to make these generation changes more significant than before. Especially from a global supplier point of view, which is where a *large* number of parts are made that go into these cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #54
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
While I definitely agree with your sentiments, I do find it interesting that members who were already enrolled, such as 300HP, all the sudden have major mechanical failures. These people are not representative of the "few people who had problems and joined a forum to voice their displeasure." This is similar to the rusty seats thread, where people were literally saying "well, let me go check...OMG RUST!!!" The brake thing is a massive problem.

I think much of this is reason why it can be a problem to get the 1st year model, and it seems tech is changing at an ever greater rate to make these generation changes more significant than before. Especially from a global supplier point of view, which is where a *large* number of parts are made that go into these cars.

What you stated has merit, and I won't argue otherwise. I just think that some of the comments made by some members regarding quality are a little extreme.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #55
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

People also forget that no one buys the F30 for its reliability. That's IS350 territory, Pass.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #56
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
People also forget that no one buys the F30 for its reliability. That's IS350 territory, Pass.
I wouldn't say that people buy an F30 expecting unreliability, but I get the gist of your statement. Lexus cars are so boring (..and I have REALLY tried to like them)! I have more fun watching paint dry with a bag of popcorn.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #57
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
I wouldn't say that people buy an F30 expecting unreliability, but I get the gist of your statement. Lexus cars are so boring (..and I have REALLY tried to like them)! I have more fun watching paint dry with a bag of popcorn.
Well at least you did not make the mistake of buying one. I did for it's reliability and nice interior years back. I sold it in less than 2 years, I will never go back

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #58
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Well at least you did not make the mistake of buying one. I did for it's reliability and nice interior years back. I sold it in less than 2 years, I will never go back
LOL! Infiniti already got me once. I traded my '03 M3 (..of aforementioned blown motor fame) for an '04 G35 because of "the hype", and regretted the shit out of that purchase about 4 months later. Fortunately somebody stole it (..Thank God for thieves on occasion), so I bought an '05 ZCP M3. I'll never leave the brand again! I STILL miss that IB ZCP M3 to this day. If I could have that car with my E9X M3's technology and power, I'd be happy. Well, there's always the F80.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #59
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In my eyes, there's a difference between reliability and fresh from the factory disasters. I agree that anyone who complains about needing their struts replaced at 60k miles should probably not be buying a BMW, but having your car in the shop for 8 months right after taking delivery is unacceptable for any car, let alone a premium brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #60
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What you stated has merit, and I won't argue otherwise. I just think that some of the comments made by some members regarding quality are a little extreme.
I agree that the piling on and whining is getting tiresome...you had your chance to complain about the rattles and squeaks when you test drove the car. At this point, figure out how to fix it or just get used to it. Some people put dynamat in the door panels themselves.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #61
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
In my eyes, there's a difference between reliability and fresh from the factory disasters. I agree that anyone who complains about needing their struts replaced at 60k miles should probably not be buying a BMW, but having your car in the shop for 8 months right after taking delivery is unacceptable for any car, let alone a premium brand.
Agreed! My buddy had to lemon his '08 E92 M3 because they couldn't fix an issue causing a check engine code. He ended up with an 11.5 E92 M3....

....then he sold that and bought an F350.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #62
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23
Quote:
I agree that the piling on and whining is getting tiresome...you had your chance to complain about the rattles and squeaks when you test drove the car. At this point, figure out how to fix it or just get used to it. Some people put dynamat in the door panels themselves.
If you are in the US and have had your car in the shop for 8 months then you are not using your brain! Lemon it and get a brand new car.

That's why I love my warranty, keeps my lemon options open and I will upgrade to launch control if the need ever arises after a 30 day shop stay. Win win

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #63
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
If you are in the US and have had your car in the shop for 8 months then you are not using your brain! Lemon it and get a brand new car.

That's why I love my warranty, keeps my lemon options open and I will upgrade to launch control if the need ever arises after a 30 day shop stay. Win win
Gotta love the pomegranate laws.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #64
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Gotta love the pomegranate laws.

Yeah I have seen a number of guys get their F30s replaced for Limp Mode for example.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #65
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Quote:
Yes, as in the best selling vehicle. Perhaps I used the wrong terminology but the fact remains. Some of the issues found with these cars are simply unacceptable. I agree that had it not been for the forum I probably wouldn't have noticed half the things I have, and YES bmw for the most part does a great job in helping figure out/fix the problem...but...I got my 335 to go thrash EVERYDAY, without worry, and I really dont worry...but could you imagine having an issue like the brakes when you are "spirited driving", or limp mode (which isint so bad if its the kind where you can just turn the car on/off and its all good) which can also be a major issue in some circumstances.

My point is, bmw let some little things slide with this best selling model of theirs...and it appears now that some BIG things going wrong may/or may not be attributed to their lack of preparation in the testing phases of the car. My main concern is this is the newest vehicle out basically, and if it indicates anything for the future of bmw's models I will not be satisfied paying twice what Im paying now... In either case bmw is my favorite car company in the world, and I would hate to not drive one, but I highly doubt I will ever lease anything under 5/x5 again, unless the m3/m4 are truly out of this world, which they hopefully will be...Please..God...Hear my prayers!!!

Dont get me wrong guys...I cant think of any better/more fun car to lease for the 650 im paying monthly with nothing down...But if I had to really shell out 60k...I would never do it!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #66
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, as in the best selling vehicle. Perhaps I used the wrong terminology but the fact remains. Some of the issues found with these cars are simply unacceptable. I agree that had it not been for the forum I probably wouldn't have noticed half the things I have, and YES bmw for the most part does a great job in helping figure out/fix the problem...but...I got my 335 to go thrash EVERYDAY, without worry, and I really dont worry...but could you imagine having an issue like the brakes when you are "spirited driving", or limp mode (which isint so bad if its the kind where you can just turn the car on/off and its all good) which can also be a major issue in some circumstances.

My point is, bmw let some little things slide with this best selling model of theirs...and it appears now that some BIG things going wrong may/or may not be attributed to their lack of preparation in the testing phases of the car. My main concern is this is the newest vehicle out basically, and if it indicates anything for the future of bmw's models I will not be satisfied paying twice what Im paying now... In either case bmw is my favorite car company in the world, and I would hate to not drive one, but I highly doubt I will ever lease anything under 5/x5 again, unless the m3/m4 are truly out of this world, which they hopefully will be...Please..God...Hear my prayers!!!

Dont get me wrong guys...I cant think of any better/more fun car to lease for the 650 im paying monthly with nothing down...But if I had to really shell out 60k...I would never do it!
I thrash mine everyday, otherwise why else would you buy a depreciating asset other than to derive enjoyment from it use.

After almost a year of ownership I am very happy with what I got. Sure there are a lot of complaint about this and that, in my case it was the one drivetrain malfunction issue. That's why I have no mods so I can return to sender and they can fix it and I can use a loaner while there are at it. Some might consider it an inconvenience but as I said I did not get an F30 for its reliability. I have no wind noise, no creaks or rattles just exhaust notes which I can't get enough of.

My X5 is a different type of animal from the F30. I believe X5 and 5 series satisfy the same type of market as they are based off a similar platform. If you are in the market for X5/5 series then that's a different type of customer to the one that's in the market for an F30. It may be a sign you bought into the wrong segment

From my experience with the 528i loaner I noticed the 5 series is longer than the E70. That's too big in my view. If you want something big, go SUV, otherwise the F30/80/82 are big enough for a sedan until you have grand kids then get the 7.

Appreciate 0