F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M vs Non-M springs
GetBMWParts

03-08-2024, 02:33 PM   #1
mhowanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i GramCoupe

Garage List
M vs Non-M springs

Car is a 2017 440i gran coupe with m package and adaptive suspension.

I had my drivers front strut go out and decided to replace both fronts with new springs, struts and top mounts. When I pulled the old ones out and compared to the new they were about a half inch shorter. I am 99% sure the car was never lowered by the previous owner.

I am curious if there is a difference in M sport be non M sport ride height or springs? Or do the springs just wear overtime and these happen to be completely shot.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 02:39 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

i believe the 704 sport suspension springs is 10mm lower than the base springs of the same car

i guess it's good but often super annoying that bmw has different parts depending on base, sportline, msport, rwd, x-drive, passive or adaptive, etc. there may be a different part of every iteration or combination.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2024, 03:12 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowanic View Post

I had my drivers front strut go out and decided to replace both fronts with new springs, struts and top mounts. When I pulled the old ones out and compared to the new they were about a half inch shorter. I am 99% sure the car was never lowered by the previous owner.

I am curious if there is a difference in M sport be non M sport ride height or springs? Or do the springs just wear overtime and these happen to be completely shot.

Thanks for the help!
Is your car RWD or xDrive? How many miles?

Depending on mileage, old springs may be slightly shorter as the springs wear out.

It's always helpful to triple check if the right parts for your car were ordered.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 03:55 PM   #4
mhowanic
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
i believe the 704 sport suspension springs is 10mm lower than the base springs of the same car

i guess it's good but often super annoying that bmw has different parts depending on base, sportline, msport, rwd, x-drive, passive or adaptive, etc. there may be a different part of every iteration or combination.
I thought I read somewhere about some spring shorter but wasn’t sure. Looking at some stuff online it seems the 704 suspension came only on the non adaptive cars. I’ll have to see if I can pull a part number off the spring. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that sooner lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 03:57 PM   #5
mhowanic
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Is your car RWD or xDrive? How many miles?

Depending on mileage, old springs may be slightly shorter as the springs wear out.

It's always helpful to triple check if the right parts for your car were ordered.
The car is RWD and has just over 70k miles on it. I was thinking springs may be worn a bit but not sure what the norm is as far as them getting shorter.

Not sure if it would help but my vin is WBA4E3C39HG187586. I ran a vin lookup but didn’t see any suspension info.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 04:03 PM   #6
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere about some spring shorter but wasn’t sure. Looking at some stuff online it seems the 704 suspension came only on the non adaptive cars. I’ll have to see if I can pull a part number off the spring. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that sooner lol.
yes, but i think the sport springs of the 704 were paired with the adaptive dampers. the x-drives with adaptive had base springs at some point in time, not sure if or when it changed.

i cannot imagine bmw would put base springs with adaptive dampers. or maybe the adaptive had it's own sport springs, which would make more sense.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5886.00
      03-08-2024, 05:32 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The car is RWD and has just over 70k miles on it. I was thinking springs may be worn a bit but not sure what the norm is as far as them getting shorter.

Not sure if it would help but my vin is WBA4E3C39HG187586. I ran a vin lookup but didn’t see any suspension info.
At 70K miles, both springs and especially struts could be nearing their useful life, subject to the roads being driven.

Did you have an opportunity to visit RealOEM.com, enter VIN, and confirm part numbers for springs?
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2024, 05:49 PM   #8
mhowanic
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
At 70K miles, both springs and especially struts could be nearing their useful life, subject to the roads being driven.

Did you have an opportunity to visit RealOEM.com, enter VIN, and confirm part numbers for springs?
I finally got a chance to check RealOEM and wasnt able to find the springs. For some reason they are greyed out and no specific part number is available. Perhaps i am missing something. The links below are the only places I could find anything relating to the spring.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_1113

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0950

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-440i&mg=31
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 06:58 PM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I finally got a chance to check RealOEM and wasnt able to find the springs. For some reason they are greyed out and no specific part number is available. Perhaps i am missing something. The links below are the only places I could find anything relating to the spring.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_1113

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0950

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-440i&mg=31
Unusual. Is there a BMW dealer nearby? Call the parts department and you will get the right part numbers. Once you have part numbers, getbmwparts.com is an excellent source for OEM parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 06:45 AM   #10
Fresh330
It is what it is
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks for the help!
Curious what struts (and ultimately springs) you bought as a replacement. I have an '18 440xi GC and driver front strut is dead as well. M suspension with EDC. I'm struggling to find OEM replacement as everything is backordered. I could only find B6 Bilstein's in stock. It's an upgrade but not sure I want to go that route given stiffer ride and unforgiving roads by me.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:29 PM   #11
mhowanic
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh330 View Post
Curious what struts (and ultimately springs) you bought as a replacement. I have an '18 440xi GC and driver front strut is dead as well. M suspension with EDC. I'm struggling to find OEM replacement as everything is backordered. I could only find B6 Bilstein's in stock. It's an upgrade but not sure I want to go that route given stiffer ride and unforgiving roads by me.
So I’m probably going to get a bunch of crap for admiting this. I ordered some struts off of eBay. Chinese knockoffs that came fully assembled. I think they were like $440 for the pair and had free returns and a 2 year warranty. I was in the same boat as you, no B4s in stock anywhere and I needed a new top mount on the drivers side anyway. The crapshoot was worth the price for me. $450 for both front struts & mounts, dust cover and springs vs prob $900 for B6s only. I’d have prob been more than $1200 after buying all the other stuff.

I got them installed last weekend. When I got the old assembly out the springs in the car were a bit shorter. As far as I know they are the OEM springs so the eBay ones were obviously incorrect.

Once I got everything installed I thought I had an issue with one side not seating properly in the knuckle. Turns out the side which I thought seated all the way actually went too far through the knuckle. I’ve since adjusted the height to make both equal to where the originals were and haven’t had them slip down.

I have read that those knuckles are a weak point and the struts drop through them if you hit a pothole. A pothole is what blew my original strut so I assume the issue with the strut going too far in is a bad knuckle and not the strut itself. I’m gonna order and replace both for peace of mind.

All in all the value sentiment far outweighed the cost and I plan on ordering a set of Chinese struts for the rear shortly.

Feel free to DM if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 04:57 PM   #12
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh330 View Post
I replaced my OE adaptive leaking front and rear shocks/struts with B4 EDC and while it's nice to have the original factory ride again, I'd probably do the B6 EDC ones if I had to again.

Car is a little bouncy in comfort mode I think, and the B6 ought to remove that feeling a bit.
Appreciate 0