F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Any one try a muffler delete yet!?
Studio RSR

06-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #111
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328i M Sport

I can't imagine any reason it would harm warranty at all. This should be safer than something like an aftermarket downpipe.

A few years back I had a '02 Audi TT - GT3076r, watermeth, inlet piping, downpipe, cams, etc. the whole shabang. The TTs muffler is about the size of the whole trunk. Went to a place down here in the hood and I think it was $100 for them to cut the muffler out, bend together a Y-pipe, and weld factory tips back on. They didn't speak any English but did a great job. Bueno!

I know this is apples to oranges but after reading the whole thread and listening to clips mine sounded pretty similar. Cold idle was almost embarrassing, but the car had the power to back up the sound so I was OK with it. Partial throttle was the BEST. Nothing better than cruising next to one of those concrete highway barriers and letting it boost to a couple pounds. Really thwappy - combo of older VW R32, heavy cammed subi, and Infinity with exhaust. Really nice sound.

Wide open though, it was 'pure chaos' as one buddy put it. You could really hear the note change when it was spiking to max boost. Still sounded nice, but in a way that was pure mayhem - it just wasn't as refined. Which I was fine with since the car was beginning to become a track-only setup. BTW drone was horrible. My poor dog would puke every time he rode in the car.

I'm tempted to try this but IMO the F30 is too nice a car to have this sound. If it was a dedicated/partial time track setup I would consider it. But since this a sedan, is my daily, and doesn't make the power that goes with this sound I still think MPE is the best option down the road.

But I do enjoy what y'all have done! Reminds me of my TT. :tear: RIP

Last edited by munch520; 06-18-2014 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
M Smurf156.50
      06-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #112
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

guys what about resonator delete with catless dp & catless axle-back
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:18 AM   #113
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Hey guys, I just got a muffler delete on my 428i M sport. Here is what I did:

I got the car last friday and a few days later, I went to the BMW parts center to purchase a 435i diffuser, about $80 with an employee discount, I got the hook up Today, I went to a muffler shop to see what they can do and he removed the stock muffler and made his own "setup", I know almost nothing about exhaust systems so I cannot go into too much detail. So now, I have a 435i style exhaust system on a 428i, and it looks pretty good to be honest.

I haven't driven on the freeway yet to experience drone, but just by driving around town and starting the car, it is a little too loud and ricey for my taste. I don't know why, but whenever the car is in park or neutral, the sound is significantly louder. My daily commute consists of 80 percent freeway driving, so I usually like to keep the car in Eco-Pro mode. It seems whenever I am in Eco-Pro mode and let off the gas, the revs drop below 1,000 RPMs and the exhaust is basically silent, until I step on it again. I do have to admit though, when you're in sport mode and you use the paddles, it does sound quite good, especially with the blips and crackles between shifts. Also whenever driving around town, the drone is ridiculously loud when around 2500-3500 RPMs. Don't know if that is normal.

One thing that I kept telling the guy was that I didn't want anything that was obnoxiously loud, and the only knowledge I have about exhaust systems is that mufflers are used to mute all of the noise the exhaust would normally make. When I asked him if there are any aftermarket mufflers I can get installed, he said it would not fit on the car since it was designed to only have the exhaust on one side rather than both. I don't know if that is BS but on the underside of the car, you can see the storage compartment that is in the trunk, where the spare tire would normally be, and it does take up quite a bit of space on the underside.

I will post some videos of my setup tomorrow or latest Sunday. I do plan on going back and seeing if there is anything they can do to make the exhaust quieter, and I also would like to replace the tips he put on and make them look closer to the stock 435i tips because these ones are a little big.

Thanks!

P.S. I have the N26 engine
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #114
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRbibo

I got the car last friday and a few days later, I went to the BMW parts center to purchase a 435i diffuser, about $80 with an employee discount, I got the hook up Today, I went to a muffler shop to see what they can do and he removed the stock muffler and made his own "setup", I know almost nothing about exhaust systems so I cannot go into too much detail. So now, I have a 435i style exhaust system on a 428i, and it looks pretty good to be honest.

I haven't driven on the freeway yet to experience drone, but just by driving around town and starting the car, it is a little too loud and ricey for my taste. I don't know why, but whenever the car is in park or neutral, the sound is significantly louder. My daily commute consists of 80 percent freeway driving, so I usually like to keep the car in Eco-Pro mode. It seems whenever I am in Eco-Pro mode and let off the gas, the revs drop below 1,000 RPMs and the exhaust is basically silent, until I step on it again. I do have to admit though, when you're in sport mode and you use the paddles, it does sound quite good, especially with the blips and crackles between shifts. Also whenever driving around town, the drone is ridiculously loud when around 2500-3500 RPMs. Don't know if that is normal.

One thing that I kept telling the guy was that I didn't want anything that was obnoxiously loud, and the only knowledge I have about exhaust systems is that mufflers are used to mute all of the noise the exhaust would normally make. When I asked him if there are any aftermarket mufflers I can get installed, he said it would not fit on the car since it was designed to only have the exhaust on one side rather than both. I don't know if that is BS but on the underside of the car, you can see the storage compartment that is in the trunk, where the spare tire would normally be, and it does take up quite a bit of space on the underside.

I will post some videos of my setup tomorrow or latest Sunday. I do plan on going back and seeing if there is anything they can do to make the exhaust quieter, and I also would like to replace the tips he put on and make them look closer to the stock 435i tips because these ones are a little big.

Thanks!

It sounds like when the car is in boost it is too loud for your tastes, no surprise there. When you're idling the car is in vac and the dynamics do the exhaust are completely different. Low to partial throttle sounds great with no muffler, WOT sounds nuts IMO. Especially if you floor it from a lower rpm and let the turbo go to work. There's there's very little motor noise, but a ton of exhaust noise.
      06-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #115
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by munch520
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRbibo

Thanks!

It sounds like when the car is in boost it is too loud for your tastes, no surprise there. When you're idling the car is in vac and the dynamics do the exhaust are completely different. Low to partial throttle sounds great with no muffler, WOT sounds nuts IMO. Especially if you floor it from a lower rpm and let the turbo go to work. There's there's very little motor noise, but a ton of exhaust noise.
Yeah it does sound kind of nuts when you floor it, but it is also really loud and kind of annoying when you are stopped or driving at low speeds. Do you know a possible solution to that?

Thanks.
      07-04-2014, 03:07 AM   #116
ASV731
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Sport Line

Okay guys, after a while of trying to convince my parents to let me do a muffler delete (they're not fond of loud cars), I finally got permission. My plan is to to have the pipe cut with 3" stainless steel piping welded in joined at the end by an exhaust tips with a 3" inlet and two 3.5" outlets to have a little bit more aggressive look than the stock 328i tips. Is anybody certain that the dual 3.5" tips will fit? Thats still what I'm not sure of.
black grills, Scorpian King 35%, Carbon fiber wrapped interior, Weisslicht LED turnsignals, Rocksford Fosgate 12" Powered Subwoofer, 19" AG M359 in Satin Black wrapped with 245/40R19 Hankook Ventus V12
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #117
T.Maas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 328i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV731 View Post
Okay guys, after a while of trying to convince my parents to let me do a muffler delete (they're not fond of loud cars), I finally got permission. My plan is to to have the pipe cut with 3" stainless steel piping welded in joined at the end by an exhaust tips with a 3" inlet and two 3.5" outlets to have a little bit more aggressive look than the stock 328i tips. Is anybody certain that the dual 3.5" tips will fit? Thats still what I'm not sure of.
It depends how much distance there is between the two tips. If it's a small gap you just might be able to fit 3" tips, but I found that 3" would be the safest bet when I come around to doing this. Generally when you buy tips online it'll have the width listed and you can just line that up with the exhaust cutout and see if it'll fit

2011 135i DCT, 2011 128i 6MT, 2014 435i FBO, 2006 Z4 3.0Si 6MT, 2003 330ci 5MT, 1985 325E 5MT
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #118
gtman
Iron man
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport/2013 C63AMG

I'm thinking about installing a DOWNPIPE but I'm worried it'll be ridiculously loud
      01-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #119
T.Maas
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Where are all the videos as promised? Turned into a dead thread...

2011 135i DCT, 2011 128i 6MT, 2014 435i FBO, 2006 Z4 3.0Si 6MT, 2003 330ci 5MT, 1985 325E 5MT
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #120
gtman
Iron man
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport/2013 C63AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Maas View Post
Here you go
      01-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #121
T.Maas
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtman
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Maas View Post
Here you go
sorry, I meant drive by videos. watched it the day you posted it lol been wanting to watch some more on your car

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #122
geoff7877
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i M Sport 6MT

Gtman, is that a 428i with the 435 diffuser/435 pipe mod? I just ordered a 428 M Sport and can't decide between a delete or 435 muffler/diffuser.

Sounds awesome by the way.

Last edited by geoff7877; 01-06-2015 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #123
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

had a muffler delete done on my 335i and it sounds pretty nice but im getting this really strange and loud rattle when the car is idling and i'm in drive.. if i put the car in neutral, the rattle immediately stops. any idea what could be causing this?

absolutely hate the rattle and its making me want to go back to stock but the tone right now while driving is great.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #124
CRJdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 & F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu
had a muffler delete done on my 335i and it sounds pretty nice but im getting this really strange and loud rattle when the car is idling and i'm in drive.. if i put the car in neutral, the rattle immediately stops. any idea what could be causing this?

absolutely hate the rattle and its making me want to go back to stock but the tone right now while driving is great.
wastegate rattle lol. Every turbo BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #125
aps
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJdriver View Post
damn, easy solution or no? also, i didn't seem to have the issue before the muffler delete. could the install have caused it?

wastegate rattle was a common problem on my VW GLI too...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #126
berk
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtman
muffler delete anyone? i’m thinking about giving it shot!
Sounds great, lots of burbles, crackles when you let off the gas paddle however quite a bit drone at highway speed. Since I am driving it in city, enjoying it soo much Another thing I need to mention is the high blowing (high pressure air sound) sound when I am at full throttle. But if I accelerate with 3/4 of throttle there is nothing but the beautiful exhaust note. This might be due to my twin exhaust tips end of the straight pipe. Not sure about it. Hope this can help ou out.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #127
CRJdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
damn, easy solution or no? also, i didn't seem to have the issue before the muffler delete. could the install have caused it?

wastegate rattle was a common problem on my VW GLI too...
mmm u can change the wastegate adaptation value if u have a jb4. with the right amount of ignition u can get that rasp they do on purpose on the s55.

oh it's basically to reduce lag...how many psi the dme is commanding the turbo to make under partial throttle. There for the wastegate is constantly adjusting...at least that's my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #128
aps
Captain
Rep

Quote:
mmm u can change the wastegate adaptation value if u have a jb4. with the right amount of ignition u can get that rasp they do on purpose on the s55.

oh it's basically to reduce lag...how many psi the dme is commanding the turbo to make under partial throttle. There for the wastegate is constantly adjusting...at least that's my understanding.
i'm only getting the rattle at idle though. no throttle. like when i'm sitting at a stoplight
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #129
CRJdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

i'm only getting the rattle at idle though. no throttle. like when i'm sitting at a stoplight
and worst with Eco pro?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #130
aps
Captain
Rep

Quote:
and worst with Eco pro?
not sure. I've only driven it in sport and comfort
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #131
CRJdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
and worst with Eco pro?
not sure. I've only driven it in sport and comfort
ha ya if u don't have valve or have the golf tee mod. Go Eco pro and s for transmission. loudest on most burble mode for sure lol. the Ecu is not worried about turbo lag then so u will hear that wastegate.

have fun
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #132
aps
Captain
Rep

this is the rattle/vibration i'm getting at idle

Appreciate 0