F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW Auto Start and Stop Functionality
Studio RSR

04-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #23
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
The auto start stop is BS. It's all a numbers game where manufacturers are trying to beat the system and record lower fuel consumption. A significant part of the cycle used to calculate official fuel consumption is with the car in traffic. So obviously if engine is not running in this part of the test it will get better/inflated numbers.

Real world always going to be different but manufacturers only concerned about the official test cycle and find ways to beat it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #24
Gary911
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i mppsk black/ cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
The auto start stop is BS. It's all a numbers game where manufacturers are trying to beat the system and record lower fuel consumption. A significant part of the cycle used to calculate official fuel consumption is with the car in traffic. So obviously if engine is not running in this part of the test it will get better/inflated numbers.

Real world always going to be different but manufacturers only concerned about the official test cycle and find ways to beat it.
Well said. Designed to meet government cafe' standards, nothing more. Can't be good for the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #25
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:

So If I am running errands around town all afternoon and I spend considerable time sitting at large 4 way intersections, repeatedly, are you theorizing that by having the engine off while I am doing this, that I am not actually using less fuel? That I am somehow 'better off' letting the car idle the whole time? How is this possible?

Why is it 'bs'? The engine isn't idling, thus it isn't burning as much fuel as if it were idling.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Many cities have no idle zones at lights now, just don't get caught.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #27
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
Quote:

So If I am running errands around town all afternoon and I spend considerable time sitting at large 4 way intersections, repeatedly, are you theorizing that by having the engine off while I am doing this, that I am not actually using less fuel? That I am somehow 'better off' letting the car idle the whole time? How is this possible?

Why is it 'bs'? The engine isn't idling, thus it isn't burning as much fuel as if it were idling.
Huh? Have you read what I wrote?

I didn't say idling was better to save fuel quite the opposite. The manufacturer is just manipulating the official fuel cycle test i.e. Most of it is with the car at standstill and so by turning the car off they get very inflated numbers compared to no start stop.

Real life though completely different story/numbers.
Appreciate 0