F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New car options
ARMA SPEED

03-13-2023, 04:43 PM   #1
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D LCI

New car options

Hi all, just gauging peoples thoughts, opinions and experiences others have had:

Got a 2018 440i gran coupe, times were a lot different back then and I didn’t do many miles, had since new and have now put 73.000 miles on it, its been trouble free entirely touch wood, and has averaged around 26mpg during its life. I’m now needing something cheaper to run, and with a bit more space. I own the car outright so the sensible thing would be to just keep it and spend the extra to fuel it, rather than jump on the pcp bandwagon again - but i’ve got that annoying itch that needs scratching.

I tow a single axle caravan so would like something a bit heavier and bigger for this.

What would everyones recommendations be, stick or twist? And if twist what options should I be looking at in this limited world… looked at a volvo xc60 but too slow compared to what i’m used to, also looked at a mazda cx60 which was very impressive but phev so probably wouldn’t suit my motorway miles.

Interested in peoples thoughts! Finding the excellent 4 gran coupe very hard to replace…

Best regards
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 04:50 PM   #2
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiem1987 View Post
Hi all, just gauging peoples thoughts, opinions and experiences others have had:

Got a 2018 440i gran coupe, times were a lot different back then and I didn’t do many miles, had since new and have now put 73.000 miles on it, its been trouble free entirely touch wood, and has averaged around 26mpg during its life. I’m now needing something cheaper to run, and with a bit more space. I own the car outright so the sensible thing would be to just keep it and spend the extra to fuel it, rather than jump on the pcp bandwagon again - but i’ve got that annoying itch that needs scratching.

I tow a single axle caravan so would like something a bit heavier and bigger for this.

What would everyones recommendations be, stick or twist? And if twist what options should I be looking at in this limited world… looked at a volvo xc60 but too slow compared to what i’m used to, also looked at a mazda cx60 which was very impressive but phev so probably wouldn’t suit my motorway miles.

Interested in peoples thoughts! Finding the excellent 4 gran coupe very hard to replace…

Best regards
My pals just done very similar and bought an E61 530D touring; c140k miles with a great spec and masses of SH/paperwork/invoices etc

He has a 42k mile E39 M5 that's currently undergoing a full rebuild; he also races an Ariel Atom with his Dad, so they tow those 2 cars to meets & track days; plus they have a portaloo (sorry, small caravan)

He had a budget of £8k MAX and paid £6500 for the E61 and spent £1k having an OEM spec tow bar fitted/wired in as well as another set of 18" alloys for better tyres (better suited to towing over 19s I think) and he absolutely loves it...

Probably not what you're after; but a 5 series touring could be a spot-on option for you; great for towing and plenty of room!
      03-13-2023, 04:53 PM   #3
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Great suggestion, have looked at a few 5’s but in a bit short supply for a newish one, or silly overpriced - annoyingly you can only order a 520d in diesel form as it stands at the moment otherwise I would be tempted for a 530d touring
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 03:27 AM   #4
Busted
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

The Mrs has just chopped an M340i touring in for a t8 XC60

Apart from the infotainment being a bit laggy and the driving dynamics being off because of its height, it is everything the M340i was and more

I was blinkered by BMWs and had owned them almost exclusively for 15 years. Due to a fair issues with my X5 and our work ones randomly catching fire, we've now got an RS6 and a T8 XC60, not sure I'll be going back to BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 04:54 AM   #5
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted View Post
The Mrs has just chopped an M340i touring in for a t8 XC60

Apart from the infotainment being a bit laggy and the driving dynamics being off because of its height, it is everything the M340i was and more

I was blinkered by BMWs and had owned them almost exclusively for 15 years. Due to a fair issues with my X5 and our work ones randomly catching fire, we've now got an RS6 and a T8 XC60, not sure I'll be going back to BMW
Thanks for this, the t8 is certainly out of budget so would be looking at the standard diesel. Had a few bad reports re. the google system which is by all accounts flawed in a lot of areas, how’s your experience being with software glitches and the like?

Jamie
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 10:40 AM   #6
Busted
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Thanks for this, the t8 is certainly out of budget so would be looking at the standard diesel. Had a few bad reports re. the google system which is by all accounts flawed in a lot of areas, how’s your experience being with software glitches and the like?

Jamie
So far it is just a bit glitchy really. It completely froze once (needed a restart) and freezes for 4 or 5 seconds fairly regularly.

It isn't very intuitive either but idrive is which probably makes the volvo system seem worse

It's a brand new car so hopefully an update or two will sort it. Great car otherwise
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 02:07 PM   #7
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted View Post
So far it is just a bit glitchy really. It completely froze once (needed a restart) and freezes for 4 or 5 seconds fairly regularly.

It isn't very intuitive either but idrive is which probably makes the volvo system seem worse

It's a brand new car so hopefully an update or two will sort it. Great car otherwise
thanks for the honesty, we’re a bit spoilt with idrive i’ve never had a problem with it. - fingers crossed an update resolves, seen a few posts on the volvo forums saying the old sensus system was better than the new android based infotainment. Xc60 definitely an option, I notice there’s a polestar upgrade for the b4d now which could work, proving to be difficult to test drive one with the polestar upgrade though! The standard b4d was very flat.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 05:32 AM   #8
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Great suggestion, have looked at a few 5’s but in a bit short supply for a newish one, or silly overpriced - annoyingly you can only order a 520d in diesel form as it stands at the moment otherwise I would be tempted for a 530d touring
Buy 2nd hand/used but looked after and save some pennies