F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Conti or BMW Mobility Kit for tires
Studio RSR

05-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
X1driver
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Conti or BMW Mobility Kit for tires

Hi All

I am considering replacing my brand new X1's runflats with all season non-runflats and I know that this topic has been discussed in many sections. But what I would like to know is not whether I should replace the runflats but what actually happens when you have a flat with non-runflats and you have to use the Conti or BMW mobility kit (inflation kit with sealers). I would like to hear from people who actually used them: is it easy to use even if the situation happens at night or in rain/snow? Does it take time to inflate and seal? Does it damage tires or sensors? How long does the seal last? etc. Would love to hear actual experience from people who had to use the kit. Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
From the Tire Rack site:

This product's sealant may interfere with the tire pressure monitoring sensors on vehicles with direct TPMS, possibly leading to error prompts and incorrect pressure readings. Use of this product on direct TPMS vehicles could also result in damage to the tire pressure sensor inside the wheel.

Looks like you can't use any type of mobility kit that has a sealant with TPMS-installed wheels, else you'll ruin the TPMS sensors... So if you switch to non-runflats and get a flat, you're stuck.
      08-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
On my Lexus I have got nails in the Michelin Pilot Super Sports 3 times. Each time the tire pressure light came on, and I was experiencing slow pressure loss. I was able to top up the air with the compressor, drive to the tire shop, and get it patched.

My point is that I never needed the sealant. If you ever need sealant, you at fucked. It is a pain to get that stuff of the rims, and the sensors will be destroyed. It is a last resort in emergencies. That said, if you have a huge gash in your tire, I doubt the sealant will help. So it is irrelevant really.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
andrew918
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I wouldn't ever consider using the sealant personally which is one of the reasons we opt-ed for the space saving spare when we ordered our X5. Though I've yet to see a delearship order a vehicle this way on their own considering the fact that they come with run flats. I opted for non-RFT winter tires though and the ride is significantly better.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Threw the kit out of mine M Coupe last weekend. It's a real mess, found it easier to just refill the tires with compressor when you get a nail/screw into the tire and drive to a repair shop. If you push your tires to their life limit & shread them like I did on a highway then obviously neither will help you.

.. oh and the kit weights a lot so I had to get rid of it
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

The conti kit has a light, so using at night should be OK. I have yet to use the sealant though. Touch wood.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
nicholastjs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 645Ci

just pay $50 a year to be AAA membership... have your car towed to the nearest tire shop in the event of flat...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Robin@Alpine
Rep
Drives: BMW

the 3 series bmw's have only elevated to a higher performance vehicle while every other model is following the trends of other luxury sports vehicles in the market. That's all you can ask of a company trying to market itself to non enthusiastic drivers while remaining loyal to real car lovers who love to drive.
Appreciate 0