F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > [Poll] Do you have rusty seat frame bases?
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: Do you have rusty seat frame bases or hinges?
Yes, my seat frames are all red. 22 18.97%
Yes, but a few red spots. 44 37.93%
No, mine is clean. 32 27.59%
Don't want to look under the seats. 20 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

12-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Passenger Seat (mild rust)
Name:  mild rust.jpg
Views: 2216
Size:  311.7 KB
Drivers Seat (no rust)
Name:  no rust.jpg
Views: 1744
Size:  362.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #24
atomicS
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sport SMB

My May build has rust on both passenger and driver seat bases. very unacceptable. Hope they will replace them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Passenger Seat (mild rust)
Attachment 796850
Drivers Seat (no rust)
Attachment 796849
Well, I can see one red rust spot on your driver side seat. Better to keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #26
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

I think the rust is fine. Actually, light rust is fine as it passivates the surface.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #27
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampCat84

June Build... The dealer is replacing my seat frames...

Ive had the car for three weeks...
Not for nothing, but i notice some kind of electronics in a white plastic case under your seat. This reminds me of a problem experienced in some data centers in the past.

Well, computer room floors are basically large steel tiles set on a bunch of stringers in the shape of a grid. Plus, the floors of the data center are pressurized so as to distribute air conditioning by inserting a floor tile with ventilation holes.

In general, most data centers maintain up to 50% humidity to reduce static electricity.

Anyway, the computers (IBM) started to fail. Nobody could figure out why. Then, it was finally discovered, that these iron whiskers were being found inside the circuit boards of the failing computers. These iron whiskers were shorting out the circuit boards wreaking havoc.

It turns out that the iron whiskers formed from rust under the steel floor tiles. The top of the tile is some kind of beautiful white material that can reduce static. The entire grid is bonded to the building ground. But, the underneath part of the floor tile looks exactly like the bottom of your rusted seats.

See where I am going with this?

Maybe the rust is harmless from a structural standpoint, but could the iron filings released from the oxidation start to land on the various circuit boards placed throughout the BMW? Maybe the rust is harmless, but maybe it is causing these goofy problems with windshield wiper fluid showing low when full...

Okay, maybe that's extreme. But, what about the longer term effects of little iron particles floating throughout your car and landing inside your car's sensitive microcircuitry???

Just a thought and a reason to make BMW fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #28
SwampCat84
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Not for nothing, but i notice some kind of electronics in a white plastic case under your seat. This reminds me of a problem experienced in some data centers in the past.

Well, computer room floors are basically large steel tiles set on a bunch of stringers in the shape of a grid. Plus, the floors of the data center are pressurized so as to distribute air conditioning by inserting a floor tile with ventilation holes.

In general, most data centers maintain up to 50% humidity to reduce static electricity.

Anyway, the computers (IBM) started to fail. Nobody could figure out why. Then, it was finally discovered, that these iron whiskers were being found inside the circuit boards of the failing computers. These iron whiskers were shorting out the circuit boards wreaking havoc.

It turns out that the iron whiskers formed from rust under the steel floor tiles. The top of the tile is some kind of beautiful white material that can reduce static. The entire grid is bonded to the building ground. But, the underneath part of the floor tile looks exactly like the bottom of your rusted seats.

Maybe the rust is harmless from a structural standpoint, but could the iron filings released from the oxidation start to land on the various circuit boards placed throughout the BMW? Maybe the rust is harmless, but maybe it is causing these goofy problems with windshield wiper fluid showing low when full...

Okay, maybe that's extreme. But, what about the longer term effects of little iron particles floating throughout your car and landing inside your car's sensitive microcircuitry???

Interesting point... and they most certainly ARE fixing the issue... I told them if they didnt they could have their **** car back and Id walk... They are replacing the seat frames as soon as they come in...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #29
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

+1. Excellent post!

Some people (especially BMW sales guys) are saying that surface rust is NORMAL and has no harm to the cars, but it's all BS!

I never had seen any other brand new cars (even crappy cheap Korean cars) with surface rusted parts inside the car!
Outside the car may be possible to surface rust, but inside? Hell no!

Cannot understand why BMW sales/service guys just admit that BMW seat supplier made a small mistake to skip the supposed 'rust prevention coating' on the metal frames before seat assembly....
Is it really hard to accept their minor mistake in quality control of BMW?

I'm pretty sure BMW's F30/F20 is the world's first car in the whole 100 years of auto mobile history selling the new cars with rusty seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #30
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

wow lots of people....

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #31
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerHJ View Post
+1. Excellent post!

Some people (especially BMW sales guys) are saying that surface rust is NORMAL and has no harm to the cars, but it's all BS!

I never had seen any other brand new cars (even crappy cheap Korean cars) with surface rusted parts inside the car!
Outside the car may be possible to surface rust, but inside? Hell no!

Cannot understand why BMW sales/service guys just admit that BMW seat supplier made a small mistake to skip the supposed 'rust prevention coating' on the metal frames before seat assembly....
Is it really hard to accept their minor mistake in quality control of BMW?

I'm pretty sure BMW's F30/F20 is the world's first car in the whole 100 years of auto mobile history selling the new cars with rusty seats.
To be honest I don't think I ever looked under the seat for rust until now. I will check my dad's E46 323i next time I'm there.

Spoke to a service advisor who hadn't heard of this issue and recommended not doing anything until BMWNA acknowledges the problem.
      12-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #32
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

I would like to know if this is an issue in other series
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #33
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
I would like to know if this is an issue in other series
1 series has the same issue.

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743476
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #34
odessa91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F36, E84, E30

Both seats and hinges are rusted. Production date 08/2012. Per other forums research, all F30 produced before November 01, 2012 have seats rust issue, plus BMW replacing seats in South Korea it is info from other forums.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #35
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa91 View Post
Both seats and hinges are rusted. Production date 08/2012. Per other forums research, all F30 produced before November 01, 2012 have seats rust issue, plus BMW replacing seats in South Korea it is info from other forums.
I emailed BMW Germany about it as my local dealer said there's no Technical Bulletin and wouldn't do anything until.

Unbelievable. or... unglaublich!!!!!

edit: the Internet is a good thing for this sort of stuff.
      12-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #36
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

Mine has some light surface rust, but nothing to the extent of what I've seen in the above pictures.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #37
DaaamnGina
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 325ix, F30 335ix

Yes. Picked her up in Munich during Oktoberfest.

img0001 by DaaamnGina, on Flickr

img0002 by DaaamnGina, on Flickr

Last edited by DaaamnGina; 12-20-2012 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #38
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaamnGina View Post
Yes. Picked her up in Munich during Oktoberfest.

img0001 by DaaamnGina, on Flickr

img0002 by DaaamnGina, on Flickr
Seat frame looks bad.
For hinge picture, which side is that? Driver or passenger side?
I have similar rusty hinge on the passenger side seat.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #39
live4wknds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Just returned from visit to my dealer with mixed results...

Short story- I'll be returning to have the BMW rep take a look, in January.

Long story- SA takes a look, sees rust, and has shop foreman take a look.
SA and shop foreman try to tell me it was 'normal'.
I challenged foreman to show me another car with the same rust.
After looking at a few cars, he tells me 3 other F30's on the lot have the rust.
I tell SA that's because it's the same part that didn't get the proper rust protection. I tell SA/foreman to show me a any other non-F30 with the same type of rust as on my seats.
SA goes to talk to Service Mgr.
Service Mgr tells SA to have me return when BMW engineer makes his next visit.

The SA seemed sympathetic to my concerns, especially when I told him I had read on this forum that BMW AG had (I assume) their source for the seat frame correct the part by applying rust protection. I say I had mixed results because both SA and foreman seemed a little too eager to dismiss the rust as normal. I'm also not feeling warm fuzzies about warranty coverage. The SA didn't seem too sure if either the rust warranty or the basic car warranty would cover the seat frame. However, I left with a somewhat positive feeling, sensing the SA was in my corner. I'll have to wait and see what the BMW rep has to say.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #40
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4wknds View Post

After looking at a few cars, he tells me 3 other F30's on the lot have the rust.
I tell SA that's because it's the same part that didn't get the proper rust protection. I tell SA/foreman to show me a any other non-F30 with the same type of rust as on my seats.

The SA seemed sympathetic to my concerns, especially when I told him I had read on this forum that BMW AG had (I assume) their source for the seat frame correct the part by applying rust protection. I say I had mixed results because both SA and foreman seemed a little too eager to dismiss the rust as normal. I'm also not feeling warm fuzzies about warranty coverage. The SA didn't seem too sure if either the rust warranty or the basic car warranty would cover the seat frame. However, I left with a somewhat positive feeling, sensing the SA was in my corner. I'll have to wait and see what the BMW rep has to say.
Yours look terrible... They must be replaced IMHO.
Mine has a few red spots on both sides, and hinge on passenger side has little bit of rusts.
When my dealer took some photos yesterday to send them to BMW Canada, the shop foreman told me that it's covered under 4 year warranty so don't worry and let's keep an eye on the rust to see if it's spreading out or not.
So, I am watching my rusty spots every week or two...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #41
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Yep, just looked and mine had it, both front seats. Not horrible but more like a bunch of rust spots. Will see what i can get the dealer to give me.
      12-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #42
live4wknds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Yours look terrible... They must be replaced IMHO.
Mine has a few red spots on both sides, and hinge on passenger side has little bit of rusts.
When my dealer took some photos yesterday to send them to BMW Canada, the shop foreman told me that it's covered under 4 year warranty so don't worry and let's keep an eye on the rust to see if it's spreading out or not.
So, I am watching my rusty spots every week or two...
Too bad you're not my SA.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #43
DaaamnGina
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 325ix, F30 335ix

The photos are of the driver side.

Quote:
Seat frame looks bad.
For hinge picture, which side is that? Driver or passenger side?
I have similar rusty hinge on the passenger side seat.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #44
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4wknds View Post

Who is your dealer?