F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Service issue
Extreme Powerhouse

08-30-2023, 12:21 PM   #1
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

Service issue

Evening got an interesting issue and would like some advice,

Took my 330d for a major service, car is at 64k, I didn’t go to my normal/supplying dealer.

Anyway fully service and vehicle check completed, set off home and within 4miles I had to pull over and stop the car.

Low engine oil pressure warning on the idrive!

Did the basic checks and the dip stick showed oil at the right level, so called the dealer back and they were apologetic and arranged recovery and onwards travel back home.

Had a call later in the afternoon confirming the oil filter had been installed incorrectly and was all sorted.
I raised concerns that the engine experienced a low oil pressure event and was concerned that damage could have occurred to the bearings within the engine. Was told it had been tested and all was good, asked for a letter documenting the issue and should I have an engine bearing issue they would deal with it.

Went to pick up the car and the letter was materially different to the telephone conversation - now it was a manufacturing defect in the filter.

So far their error had cost me 2.5hours time and £2 parking I was not offered a penny off the £480 bill I had paid earlier.

Is there any chance there is any damage done to my engine?
Would you take the matter any further?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 12:28 PM   #2
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Sh*t happens but now it’s all sorted
Appreciate 1
335dX430.00
      08-30-2023, 01:37 PM   #3
Allworth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d (E84)

I thought for a sec they forgot to put a filter and oil just drained out. You are saying dipstick showed correct oil level, why would you worry about engine damage?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 01:45 PM   #4
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobsey View Post
.... set off home and within 4miles I had to pull over and stop the car.

Low engine oil pressure warning on the idrive!

Is there any chance there is any damage done to my engine?
Would you take the matter any further?
Absolutely, would take it further, the car has shown a low oil pressure and they have found an issue, either with their work or the part.

Get this in writing to protect yourself against future work required as a consequence.

I wonder if the car diagnostics has logged the low oil pressure as a fault code?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 01:51 PM   #5
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Sounds like they have done their best to rectify the issue and ‘tested it’. I can guarantee that even if you did get something in writing, they’d put it down as something else and charge you anyway for any future issue.

I’d just move on and be glad they sorted it. It happens…

Did you ask for a gesture of goodwill? Maybe they’d discount a future service or something…but they’d not just offer it!

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 02:05 PM   #6
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allworth View Post
I thought for a sec they forgot to put a filter and oil just drained out. You are saying dipstick showed correct oil level, why would you worry about engine damage?
It’s one thing having oil in the sump but if it isn’t being pumped round the engine under pressure the crank mains and Conrod bearings won’t be lubricated and that’s bad. We’ve all read about the police n57 engined cars and the issue is crank main bearing failure, I don’t really fancy a catastrophic engine failure caused because some highly trained bmw tech can’t fit a filter or inspect it before fitting it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 02:14 PM   #7
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Quote:
Was told it had been tested and all was good
How did they do that, is the question I would be asking ?

Very much doubt they actually "tested" anything and you have been given the standard corporate brush off.

Regardless of what caused the "low pressure" it was still done in their care , filter fitted wrong their problem / filter defect their problem.

Drop the head of the service dept an e-mail for clarification and save it for future reference should any issues occur.

K
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 02:28 PM   #8
Allworth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It’s one thing having oil in the sump but if it isn’t being pumped round the engine under pressure the crank mains and Conrod bearings won’t be lubricated and that’s bad. We’ve all read about the police n57 engined cars and the issue is crank main bearing failure, I don’t really fancy a catastrophic engine failure caused because some highly trained bmw tech can’t fit a filter or inspect it before fitting it.
I see. If you had a significant pressure loss id imagine oil splats. Luckily your car equipped with pressure sensor that warned you.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 02:44 PM   #9
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Why is it okay that the dealer sorted it?

They charged £480 and won't put in writing their mistake.

I would be going direct to the dealer principle. If the dealers are going to charge extortionate rates you deserve 100% service and outcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 08:44 AM   #10
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Sounds like they didn't fit the O-ringed part of the filter into it's corresponding hole in the filter housing.

You should not have been billed £480 if they can't even get that right.

They would have known something didn't feel quite right when screwing the filter cap back on.

The sheer levels of incompetence in this country these days is staggering.

You won't have suffered any permanent damage. That O-ring bit is part of the drainback valve, so at worst all you'd notice is the oil light taking a few seconds longer than usual to extinguish the following day.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 11:46 AM   #11
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

There was an issue, they fixed it.

If something happened in 25,000 miles, would it down to this issue? How would you prove it? You couldn't.

How long do they offer to protect you? What is reasonable? You cannot quantify it.

No business in their right mind would indemnify you against any and all future oil / oil pressure issues with your engine because of this issue. It happened over a minimal distance for a minimal period of time.

They arranged uplift and kept you mobile and fixed the problem, which is the best they can do.

Thank fully we are not in America, so don't ask for compo.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 12:04 PM   #12
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for taking time to respond, I find it interesting the varying responses to the same circumstance.

When I had the brake fluid done or I should say half done ( at another dealer I add - bad luck or incompetence seems to follow me!) they bent over backwards rebled the brakes again and put a full tank of fuel in as a good will gesture without any prompt from me.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 01:48 PM   #13
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
There was an issue, they fixed it.

If something happened in 25,000 miles, would it down to this issue? How would you prove it? You couldn't.

How long do they offer to protect you? What is reasonable? You cannot quantify it.

No business in their right mind would indemnify you against any and all future oil / oil pressure issues with your engine because of this issue. It happened over a minimal distance for a minimal period of time.

They arranged uplift and kept you mobile and fixed the problem, which is the best they can do.

Thank fully we are not in America, so don't ask for compo.
Its not the best they can do. The best they can do is the job correct in the first place.

There is a big difference between American and this circumstance.

It's not 25,000, it was 4.

The OP paid £480 for a job to be done. The job wasn't done. The OP was out 2.5hrs, £2 and didn't even get an accurate apology.

Why shouldn't he be compensated for the inconvenience that he had beyond the normal outcome of the task the main dealer was there to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 01:54 PM   #14
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Insert sad compo face here
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 02:31 PM   #15
Allworth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
Why shouldn't he be compensated for the inconvenience that he had beyond the normal outcome of the task the main dealer was there to do.
Because it would push prices even higher for the service, and a human factor for the mistake would be still at the same degree. If they introduce a clear compensation scheme, some could potentially exploit it which would, again, could push prices higher.

Where is the problem? Do you get your haircut same quality every time?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 02:41 PM   #16
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allworth View Post
Because it would push prices even higher for the service, and a human factor for the mistake would be still at the same degree. If they introduce a clear compensation scheme, some could potentially exploit it which would, again, could push prices higher.

Where is the problem? Do you get your haircut same quality every time?
Yes I do, I do my own

The point here is you pay a price you expect a service, if they fail to deliver the service why should they profit off it? They will be making at least 25% on that service. So providing a discount would have 0 impact on the general service price of the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 02:54 PM   #17
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Its not the best they can do. The best they can do is the job correct in the first place.

There is a big difference between American and this circumstance.

It's not 25,000, it was 4.

The OP paid £480 for a job to be done. The job wasn't done. The OP was out 2.5hrs, £2 and didn't even get an accurate apology.

Knew there would be one…you’ve completely miss read what I have said. I didn’t say it was 25K did I? Read my post again and calm your tits.

Jeez, nobody died.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 03:02 PM   #18
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I do, I do my own

The point here is you pay a price you expect a service, if they fail to deliver the service why should they profit off it? They will be making at least 25% on that service. So providing a discount would have 0 impact on the general service price of the future.
Yeah because running a business and life is THAT simple? It’s not.

You are correct but sometimes humans get things wrong and there is nothing you can do. I’d hate to be you being 100% perfect 100% of the time.

Who crawled up your arse?

Like I said, they’ve made a mistake and they’ve rectified it, I don’t understand the necessity to compensate for mistakes all of the time.

I had an instance recently where I sold a car which transpired had had extensive paintwork. Not registered anywhere, not written off and our techs, valeters or myself didn’t spot it. We refunded the customer in full, including delivery, Road tax, insurance transfer costs and fuel. We could do no more, but they wanted more - they wanted money for a hire car so they could go and search for another car, they wanted money for time taken off work to collect the car from me, and then they wanted money for further time to be taken off work to look for another car.

This is what you create ….

Last edited by 335dX; 08-31-2023 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 03:05 PM   #19
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Knew there would be one…you’ve completely miss read what I have said. I didn’t say it was 25K did I? Read my post again and calm your tits.

Jeez, nobody died.
I'm quite calm - its a forum, discussion is the point of it.

I was comparing the things you were saying to the points of the OP's situation..like when you said 'If something happened in 25,000 miles, would it down to this issue? How would you prove it? You couldn't.'

I'm not sure how I am misreading that. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 03:11 PM   #20
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah because running a business and life is THAT simple? It’s not.

You are correct but sometimes humans get things wrong and there is nothing you can do. I’d hate to be you being 100% perfect 100% of the time.

Who crawled up your arse?

Like I said, they’ve made a mistake and they’ve rectified it, I don’t understand the necessity to compensate for mistakes all of the time.

I had an instance recently where I sold a car which transpired had had extensive paintwork. Not registered anywhere, not written off and our techs, valeters or myself didn’t spot it. We refunded the customer in full, including delivery, Road tax, insurance transfer costs and fuel. We could do no more, but they wanted more - they wanted money for a hire car so they could go and search for another car, they wanted money for time taken off work to collect the car from me, and then they wanted money for further time to be taken off work.

This is what you create ….
Nothing's crawled up my arse, but the idea that the OP should have costs for the 'mistake' are simply wrong. Even if its £2. Wheres the accountability?

As for the scenario you mention - you compensated the customer beyond the purchase price. They wanted more, that's always possible, but you at least extended an offer.

Here the OP's situation cost them time and money...and the main BMW dealer changed tune when asked to put it in writing....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 03:17 PM   #21
Allworth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I do, I do my own

Everyone is making mistakes, is about how they being corrected. OP avoided any wording about them failed to provide services, in fact they went extra mile because of problem with a filter at their own expense, of course. So you can be cheeky if you like and ask for more to buy yourself a better hair clipper.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 04:54 AM   #22
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Here the OP's situation cost them time and money...
A couple of hours and 2 quid. Some perspective and sense of importance wouldn't go amiss.

I bet you're one of these people that if a hair is found in your meal at a restaurant, not only do you demand a replacement, you also demand shutting down of said restaurant, and go all scorched earth about it on Google reviews.

Your name isn't Karen isn't it?
Appreciate 0