F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY - Retrofit lumbar support in F30 with manual sport seats
GetBMWParts

08-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F30 316d

DIY - Retrofit lumbar support in F30 with manual sport seats

I felt the sport seats offered to little support to the lower back area so after reading some comparable threads I decided to go for it and retrofit the lumbar support.

Since I could not find a complete write-up for my specific seat set-up I decided to write one and here it is.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...pmMTNYN1VXbWl3

The coming few weeks will offer a good test with a road trip to Italy
Appreciate 1
mrpingu179.00
      09-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
russellg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Was there any parts you had to remove from the seat to install the lumber support? I was thinking along the lines of removing the lumber support.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep

I only had to remove the old backrest width pads as they don't fit with the lumbar support parts and then replace with the new pads.

You can easily remove the lumbar support cushion if it is bothering you. Just open up the seat, pull the plugs and take the cushion out.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 01:54 AM   #4
grancoupef36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: gran coupe 2016

how long did this take? and how much?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grancoupef36 View Post
how long did this take? and how much?
It took me about 3 hours at a slow pace, including taking pictures. In total I paid about €400 for the parts, all original BMW parts.

I drove over 3000 miles now and am very happy with the result. On the trip to Italy I found myself regularly adjusting the seat on the longer trips. Partly to find a nice position, partly just to find another position after an hour of driving. I am thinking of experimenting with bringing the cushion down a little bit to see if that gives an even better result.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 03:49 AM   #6
grancoupef36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: gran coupe 2016

man i wanna do it!! can u tell me all the parts i need?? thanks
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep

You need at least the following parts:

61319231269 Switch left
52107284043 Backrest width adjuster with valve
52107284042 Lumbar support pad with pump
61129258214 adaptor wire lumbar

I also needed the wire kit driver side 61129264636, but the exact wire kit and part nr for this one depends on your specific seat configuration (manual/auto/memory/etc). See http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...70#61129264636 for the available options and pick the one you need.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep

I drove another couple thousand miles and on my daily commute trips of one hour I just leave the support in one position. On the longer trips I still tend to alter the positioning a bit. All in all still very satisfied with the mod.
Appreciate 1
mrpingu179.00
      01-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
Galaxy1223
Rep
Drives: 316iA F31

First of all, thanks for this! I just bought used F31 a month ago and realized soon that the lumbar support is just horrible. I think BMW is doing it wrong not offering the lumbar support as standard with sport seats.

Anyway, I am planning to do this retrofit. I have some questions:

-Some users have reported some issues with warning lights etc... after seat removal. Did you remove battery or did you just wait until the ECU shuts down? (not sure how long this takes)
-I think I have the same seats as you do. Manual sport seats, nothing electric except for the adjustable width system. So the parts should be the same:
52107284042 Lumbar support pad with pump --> has been replaced by 52107425927

Then you mention about the wire kit for driver side. But in RealOEM it is under:
" For vehicles with
Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
S459A=No
01 Wiring set seat, driver's side 1 61129264636
only in conjunction with
"

So for the wiring kit, how did you know what is right? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep

I did remove the battery cable for a short while (15-30 mins), but re-attached it before removing the seat. Then I just made sure the car was completely switched off, as when it is locked. So the battery was connected when I removed the seats, but never got any warning lights nor did it require coding. Therefore I'm quite sure you don't need to remove the battery cable before removing the seats.

The part I ordered at the local BMW dealership was 52107284042, even though OEM says it has been replaced by a different part nr. Either way, it won't make a difference which part nr you order as the connectors and the fit will be the same anyway. The ....042 part nr was €10 cheaper, so if available, I'd go for that one And yes, originally the only thing electrical about my sport seats were the width adjustments.

For the wiring kit: after thorough study of RealOEM and trying to figure out what it actually says and also reading some other threads I found the right part nr.
Basically there are three different wire kits (for the driver's side):
- one for manual seats (61129264636)
- one for electrical seats (61129258232)
- one for electrical seats with heating (61129264626)

Since you have manual seats, you definitely need the first one. And since you also have sport seats and are adding the lumbar support, you need the adapter wire as well (61129258214).

The final proof that these are the right part numbers for manual sport seats is that installation went without issues and everything works just fine

Good luck with ordering the parts and have fun with your mod!
Appreciate 1
mrpingu179.00
      01-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #11
Galaxy1223
Rep

Thanks for your answer. I forgot that I also have the heated seats (494 Seat Heating F Driver/front Passenger). Probably the wiring set is still the same since realOEM does not show different cable for manual sport seat with heating.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #12
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy1223 View Post
Thanks for your answer. I forgot that I also have the heated seats (494 Seat Heating F Driver/front Passenger). Probably the wiring set is still the same since realOEM does not show different cable for manual sport seat with heating.
I do recall that from my wire kit one connector was left unused. It is the flat 4 pin connector that is closest to the yellow connector (see the pic). So you should be ok with the same kit as I have.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 03:06 AM   #13
Galaxy1223
Rep

I finally did the installation to the driver seat! Thanks Pilz! You saved my day... no... you saved my back.

I have the heated sport manual seats and there were few extra wires under the seat and somekind of power divider box compared to your setup. The steps were quite clear even I had never done installation like this. Few comments:

- I did not remove battery for the installation. I opened both front and rear door and waited 15min until the light switch lighting goes off. Then I kept both doors open during the installation. Because if you close and open the door the lights turn on. It probably does not matter but I played it safe.
- For me the most difficult part was to remove the side cushion adjuster switch from the side cover. I spent like 20mins doing that until I just finally forced it out since I could not figure out how the clips are holding it down.
- Then I also started to think that there is a budget solution to fix the lumbar support especially if you are the only one driving. Just buy some cushioning and cut/fix it and with some trial & error find a version that feels like a good lumbar support. Then just remove seat back cover and put the extra cushioning inside the seat where the lumbar support goes. 10min and maybe 20€ and you are good to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep

Nice work! Removing the switch (without breaking it) was definitely the hardest part for me as well.

Enjoy your new seat

Last edited by Pilz; 06-13-2017 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #15
min
Rep
Drives: BMW 750D LCI (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilz View Post
I only had to remove the old backrest width pads as they don't fit with the lumbar support parts and then replace with the new pads.
Hi,

When you say the old width cushions don't fit with the lumbar support pads is it related to available space?! Or it is due to the fact that you installed the whole 'kit' which contains a single pump but 2 valves splitting the air to the relevant cushion and they come from factory with proper connectors for air and also electrical plugs?

I am asking since I'm planning to install a separate dedicated kit for lumbar support only in addition to the existing one for width. Even if this means that I will have 2 pumps it seems there is enough space available there for both; I'll wire the lumbar support pump from the width pump power connector.

Thanks in advance for clarification.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #16
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep

Hi,

See my answer in the DIY pics.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:08 AM   #17
powerflower
Rep
Drives: E46 - 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilz View Post
I did remove the battery cable for a short while (15-30 mins), but re-attached it before removing the seat. Then I just made sure the car was completely switched off, as when it is locked. So the battery was connected when I removed the seats, but never got any warning lights nor did it require coding. Therefore I'm quite sure you don't need to remove the battery cable before removing the seats.

The part I ordered at the local BMW dealership was 52107284042, even though OEM says it has been replaced by a different part nr. Either way, it won't make a difference which part nr you order as the connectors and the fit will be the same anyway. The ....042 part nr was €10 cheaper, so if available, I'd go for that one And yes, originally the only thing electrical about my sport seats were the width adjustments.

For the wiring kit: after thorough study of RealOEM and trying to figure out what it actually says and also reading some other threads I found the right part nr.
Basically there are three different wire kits (for the driver's side):
- one for manual seats (61129264636)
- one for electrical seats (61129258232)
- one for electrical seats with heating (61129264626)

Since you have manual seats, you definitely need the first one. And since you also have sport seats and are adding the lumbar support, you need the adapter wire as well (61129258214).

The final proof that these are the right part numbers for manual sport seats is that installation went without issues and everything works just fine

Good luck with ordering the parts and have fun with your mod!

Hi Pilz i am looking at doing a lumbar support retrofit into a 2014 328i and found your posts very helpful so thanks for that, i do have a question for you where you list the 3 different wiring looms for driver side
manual
electic
electric with heating,
my question is this as i have electric heated seats i would assume that the 3rd option is the correct one. however when i look are realoem. the part number you state is shown for passenger side. in fact only 2 options are shown for drivers side [manual and electric] all the other options are shown for passenger side [as i read things]. Did you have heated seats? and can you shed any light on what wiring loom would be correct for drivers side? Many thanks in advance..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #18
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep

I don"t have heated or electric seats.
Now you mentioned it, I do see that the first two are for driver side and the others for the passenger side. However, since the first two aren't mentioned for passenger but only for driver and you can do the mod for both sides, i think you can assume that they work for both sides. Seems also quite logical that the wires are the same for both sides.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #19
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by min View Post
Hi,

When you say the old width cushions don't fit with the lumbar support pads is it related to available space?! Or it is due to the fact that you installed the whole 'kit' which contains a single pump but 2 valves splitting the air to the relevant cushion and they come from factory with proper connectors for air and also electrical plugs?

I am asking since I'm planning to install a separate dedicated kit for lumbar support only in addition to the existing one for width. Even if this means that I will have 2 pumps it seems there is enough space available there for both; I'll wire the lumbar support pump from the width pump power connector.

Thanks in advance for clarification.
How did u make out? I’m about to try the exact same thing. Did u wire both pumps? Did u split the air line? Was thinking of doing that. Was there enough room if u installed both pumps??
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #20
sebastianbahrim
Rep
Drives: F30

Hi. I would your help. I was about to do the same thing. I bought off eBay the lumbar support and I tried to fit it on my chair. However, I realised I miss the part that splits the air from the pump to the lumbar support and the wings... I tried to find any solution, but I guess I'm missing a part ... Could you please help me with the part number? I see it in the pictures you posted, but I couldn't find its number ... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #21
fijay
Registered
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianbahrim View Post
Hi. I would your help. I was about to do the same thing. I bought off eBay the lumbar support and I tried to fit it on my chair. However, I realised I miss the part that splits the air from the pump to the lumbar support and the wings... I tried to find any solution, but I guess I'm missing a part ... Could you please help me with the part number? I see it in the pictures you posted, but I couldn't find its number ... Thanks!
Good day,
I am considering same thing as well. How is your DIY result?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:31 AM   #22
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Lumbar parts from MY17 328d available

Hey guys...in case anyone is interested in this upgrade, I just removed the power lumbar support stuff from my original 2017 F31 seats (I upgraded to Sport seats that included the lumbar option). I think I have everything needed for driver and passenger seats for the upgrade (including the switch panels). The parts are in transit to NC currently but I can provide pics and more details once they arrive - just send me a PM if interested. I'll post in the Marketplace section too (sorry to hijack this post but it seemed to make sense). Thanks. VA
Appreciate 0