F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Service loaner vs CPO BMW 328i
Extreme Powerhouse

05-22-2016, 12:52 AM   #1
ashpal19
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i, 08 335i(prev)

Service loaner vs CPO BMW 328i

I am looking to buy a used 328i (Dallas area)

Should I go for the
service loaner - 2015 with 11k miles - 32,000
OR
CPO - 2013 with 26k miles - $25,000
Pls advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 01:21 AM   #2
squeeze3
Rep
Drives: 340i Xdrive MT

Assuming they're equally equipped there's pros and cons to both.

The '15 would have a longer warranty and would still have the no charge maintenance. Keep in mind service loaners are typically driven quite hard, this is more personal preference as these cars are built to be driven hard.

While the '13 won't have the no charge maintenance, the cost saving alone makes up for it. If you don't plan on keeping the car for a very long time the '13 would depreciate less than the '15 at this stage of the game.

While some might stay away from loaners because of how they're driven and somewhat neglected, there's no guarantees that a CPO was better cared for. Overall you can't go wrong with either if they're equally equipped.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 03:54 AM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

my co-worker got a loaner once.... taught him many things that day, how to disable traction control and after some lessons, how to do proper 360's.... good times, love the loaners.

check to make sure it still has an air filter, its always my first mod
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpal19 View Post

Should I go for the
OR
Pls advice.
Why isn't the service loaner a CPO? That would give me pause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze3 View Post
Keep in mind service loaners are typically driven quite hard, this is more personal preference as these cars are built to be driven hard.
So many people post this, and I have a hard time understanding what the authority for this statement is. Frankly, I think most people are more likely to baby a car that's not theirs, rather than beat on it. I've never seen a car with a "Courtesy Loaner" on the road that was being driven aggressively. I have no proof or authority, but I think the human nature of most people would make them be more cautious with a car that wasn't theirs--who wants to deal with a damage report and possible insurance claim on a loaner car?

Now--it might be the case for this one, since it's not certified. But who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
my co-worker got a loaner once.... taught him many things that day, how to disable traction control and after some lessons, how to do proper 360's.... good times, love the loaners.
Of course, I did say "most".

Last edited by tex2670; 05-22-2016 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
You can probably find a better deal on a '13 CPO. I bought my '12 CPO with 50k for $19,000. What features do these cars have?
      05-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
bad karma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport

VERY surprised the service loaner isn't being sold CPO. I'd inquire about that.
      05-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
ashpal19
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i, 08 335i(prev)

Thank you for the responses. There is no CPO because the 2015 328i, still has 3 years of warranty and maintenance remaining on it. But I will check on it.

BMW would certify the car later at the end of 4 years/48000 miles.
But I guess I have to make the choice and there is no clear answer.

I am also of opinion that people would drive a loner harder than their own car and car may degrade quickly due to being handled by 100s of diff people(different driving styles). But that's the reason they are priced lower. I will never get a 2015 used car other than a service loaner.

I don't want to buy a car that is returned due to a customer's in-ability to pay for the car.

Last edited by ashpal19; 05-22-2016 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #8
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

No need to CPO a brand new car with plenty of warranty remaining.

I agree with the posters who stated that the loaners are beat to shit. They are ran far more than your average vehicle on a daily basis. In addition, imagine having literally a thousand different people driving your car. This doesn't mean it's ruined and is a worse purchase, but it does turn me off.

I would go with the CPO 13'. It's already depreciated and will save you money. Is probably one owner who leased it from new. In addition, the N20/26 engine and F30's overall are very reliable cars. 90% of the time, you will not be use the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the responses. There is no CPO because the 2015 328i, still has 3 years of warranty and maintenance remaining on it. But I will check on it.

BMW would certify the car later at the end of 4 years/48000 miles.
But I guess I have to make the choice and there is no clear answer.

I am also of opinion that people would drive a loner harder than their own car and car may degrade quickly due to being handled by 100s of diff people(different driving styles). But that's the reason they are priced lower. I will never get a 2015 used car other than a service loaner.

I don't want to buy a car that is returned due to a customer's in-ability to pay for the car.
If that's what the salesman told you, he's lying. I bought a '14 CPO Elite in January of '15, with 5/75 CPO Elite warranty.

Your statement about used makes no sense to me--you'd rather buy a loaner driven hard by 100s of people, than a 1-owner used car?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #10
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
No need to CPO a brand new car with plenty of warranty remaining.

I agree with the posters who stated that the loaners are beat to shit. They are ran far more than your average vehicle on a daily basis. In addition, imagine having literally a thousand different people driving your car. This doesn't mean it's ruined and is a worse purchase, but it does turn me off.

I would go with the CPO 13'. It's already depreciated and will save you money. Is probably one owner who leased it from new. In addition, the N20/26 engine and F30's overall are very reliable cars. 90% of the time, you will not be use the warranty.
How is a loaner run more than the average vehicle? Customer picks it up in the morning, drives all the places he or she would have driven that day, and then returns it. And most of those loaners sit idle on Sundays, and many even on Saturdays--does your car sit idle on the weekends, because mine definitely doesn't. Loaners generally don't take vacations or road trips either.

I bought a former loaner which was 6 months old, with 5,400 miles on it--which would be 11,000 miles per year--exactly average milage.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
How is a loaner run more than the average vehicle? Customer picks it up in the morning, drives all the places he or she would have driven that day, and then returns it. And most of those loaners sit idle on Sundays, and many even on Saturdays--does your car sit idle on the weekends, because mine definitely doesn't. Loaners generally don't take vacations or road trips either.

I bought a former loaner which was 6 months old, with 5,400 miles on it--which would be 11,000 miles per year--exactly average milage.
I'm not knocking you decision. I'm glad you are happy with your car. It's a personal preference and will vary from person to person.

Loaners are dealer rental cars. The more they are on loan, the more subsidization the dealer receives for the vehicle. Most people abuse these cars since they are not theirs or try things, they wouldn't in their car.

Would you buy a rental car from Hertz or an auto show car? Rhetorical question.

I'm not saying that all loaners are bad, it probably depends on your dealer and region more than anything. The dealer keeps the vehicle as long as they see the need. So if one car is getting more use or is raking on mileage or is at the correct time for proper pricing, the car get's pulled and sold.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
I'm not knocking you decision. I'm glad you are happy with your car. It's a personal preference and will vary from person to person.

Loaners are dealer rental cars. The more they are on loan, the more subsidization the dealer receives for the vehicle. Most people abuse these cars since they are not theirs or try things, they wouldn't in their car.

Would you buy a rental car from Hertz or an auto show car? Rhetorical question.

I'm not saying that all loaners are bad, it probably depends on your dealer and region more than anything. The dealer keeps the vehicle as long as they see the need. So if one car is getting more use or is raking on mileage or is at the correct time for proper pricing, the car get's pulled and sold.
I know you are not knocking my decision, I'm just saying that you may have faulty logic. Yes, loaners are rental cars. But unlike a Hertz rental, people aren't driving them for leisure on vacation. They are substituting their own vehicles--sure, there's a different driver each day, but they are driving them like their own cars--going to work, or the mall, or where ever around town.

And again, you say people abuse loaners. I say people baby them--neither of us have any support for this; just our respective opinions. If a buyer believes that loaners are abused, they obviously shouldn't buy one. I don't subscribe to that theory.
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Should I go for the
OR
Pls advice.
I'd choose the loaner. The belief that loaners get abused is generally just an old wives tale. Even on enthusiast forums such as this most folks report driving the loaners they use very moderately. In more than ten years on forums such as this I have never seen a post by someone bemoaning having bought a loaner.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-22-2016, 10:16 PM   #14
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive GC

Loaners aren't CPOd if they aren't titled, which in certain states, the dealer doesn't have to title the vehicle if it is part of their loaner fleet. Typically if a service loaner is CPOd it is because it has already been titled (to the dealer).
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2016, 11:32 PM   #15
illusionx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Xdrive

My CPO was a fleet car. Got maintenance for 4 years and also warranty upto 75,000 or 2020. It was clean, everything inside very well kept even the carpets. Car fax reported oil changes and maintenance. I am happy with my purchase so far. Compared to the 2013 models i got a car 2 years newer with CPO and maintenance on this ex loaner. Has a small scratch on the trunk will buff it out once i get some touchup paint. Rims have very minor scratches from curbs. My tires rear tires are diff brand from my front ones dont know if that makes a huge difference.

I have always used my rental cars with more caution then my own car in the past its because i hate dealing with rental companies if something happens to the car, i assume a loaner car would be the same ? Not sure why anyone would want to risk damage to a new year loaner car. I.E you are getting your 2013 328i serviced and they loan you a 2016 X5 and you crack the rim deliberately running into pot holes, i assume the dealer would make you pay for that repair ?
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 02:46 AM   #16
squeeze3
Rep
Drives: 340i Xdrive MT

The reality is that loaners and demonstrators get into the hands of a large number of people and it's only fair to say that some people will treat it with respect like it's their own and some won't. It's unfair to say that everyone drives it hard or everyone babies it. Quite frankly it's irrelevant mechanically; if it's driven hard there may be extra wear on wear and tear items. The same would hold true on a one owner pre-owned car if the previous owner consistently drove it with a spirited driving style.

It's important to pay close attention the physical condition of the loaner given the frequency these cars get washed, it may potentially have more swirls if not corrected.

Bottom line is both cars are backed by a warranty. Another thing to consider is just because the car is "certified" it's not an assurance that it's any better than a vehicle that's not. The "certified" really just means the car has met a minimum set of standards and is accompanied with a price premium. You can certainly find an equivalent car that hasn't been certified with the proper due diligence.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #17
SoDiezl350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport EBII

As someone who purchased a 13 CPO 328i, I would advise being realistic about the expected depreciation over the next 3 years. Take a look at what a 2010 328i goes for used these days, and you'll notice the depreciation you can expect rivals that of a brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #18
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
As someone who purchased a 13 CPO 328i, I would advise being realistic about the expected depreciation over the next 3 years. Take a look at what a 2010 328i goes for used these days, and you'll notice the depreciation you can expect rivals that of a brand new car.
That's not a real comparison as the '10 e90/92 was an inline 6, not a TT 4cyl. Early model F30's are all coming to secondhand market right now because they are hitting 4 year mark. I predict the market will be flooded with them very soon.
      05-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #19
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadify View Post
Loaners aren't CPOd if they aren't titled, which in certain states, the dealer doesn't have to title the vehicle if it is part of their loaner fleet. Typically if a service loaner is CPOd it is because it has already been titled (to the dealer).
Being titled is not a requirement for CPO. For the standard CPO the only requirement is either at least 6,000 miles or at least six months in service. The mileage and time in service requirements may be less for CPO Elite, I'm not up to date on those requirements.

That does bring up a point I failed to mention in my previous post. To the OP I would insist the service loaner be CPO'd, too; CPO Elite at the very least.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #20
SoDiezl350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
That's not a real comparison as the '10 e90/92 was an inline 6, not a TT 4cyl. Early model F30's are all coming to secondhand market right now because they are hitting 4 year mark. I predict the market will be flooded with them very soon.
Sorry I'm not really seeing your point, but I suspect we're making the same argument. I'm arguing that the F30 328s are about to plummet in value and that buying a CPO won't necessarily save any money over leasing a brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #21
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Sorry I'm not really seeing your point, but I suspect we're making the same argument. I'm arguing that the F30 328s are about to plummet in value and that buying a CPO won't necessarily save any money over leasing a brand new car.
Aye, we were both talking about the same thing.
      05-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #22
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Any reason you wouldn't look at an exec demo instead?
Appreciate 0