F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPhone connected through USB connection is arm rest music playing from phone not car
GetBMWParts

06-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
gmazzu
Private
Rep
Drives: 335 M-Sport X-Drive 6 speed

iPhone connected through USB connection is arm rest music playing from phone not car

This is a really odd problem. I'm connecting my iPhone 4gs to the OEM apple USB cable and recently the music is playing through the phone rathe through the car speakers. The Nav sees the device in the media section, I get album art, I can change what I'm listening to buy I can't seem to get the audio to consistently play through the car speakers. Anyone else having this issue or a solution?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
pdxBeav
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazzu View Post
This is a really odd problem. I'm connecting my iPhone 4gs to the OEM apple USB cable and recently the music is playing through the phone rathe through the car speakers. The Nav sees the device in the media section, I get album art, I can change what I'm listening to buy I can't seem to get the audio to consistently play through the car speakers. Anyone else having this issue or a solution?
I experience this occasionally. I've tried reconnecting the cable and even turning the car on and off and it didn't fix it. The only thing that fixes it for me is to reboot the iPhone. I've had this happen about 5 times in the past 9 months.

I don't know if it's an iPhone problem or a BMW problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport (DELIVERED!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazzu View Post
Have you tried selecting the output on the phone? I'm not near my car right now and won't be for a couple months, or I'd test it, but next time you're in the car and it's coming out of the iPhone, double tap the home button, swipe the multitask panel over until you see the volume slider and see if it gives you the option of adjusting your output. The button would appear to the right of the volume slider and look like a square with a triangle inserting itself into the bottom of the square. If that button is there, press it then select whichever output is not "iPhone".

This button is used in iPhones to select between multiple output options such as headphones, speakers, airplay, and bluetooth. Your phone might be defaulting to "iPhone" instead of whatever output the docking wire is...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport (DELIVERED!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxBeav View Post
I experience this occasionally. I've tried reconnecting the cable and even turning the car on and off and it didn't fix it. The only thing that fixes it for me is to reboot the iPhone. I've had this happen about 5 times in the past 9 months.

I don't know if it's an iPhone problem or a BMW problem.
This...
Appreciate 0