F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Some things stuck in my brake
proTUNING Freaks

10-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Some things stuck in my brake

So I've been having this squealing sound coming from my front driver's side brake. Today I took a look at it and a groove is forming around the disc. I guess something is stuck btwn the pad and disc. Is there an easy way to clean it out without taking it apart?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Walt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i m-sport

Since it has worn a grove in the rotor it is probably imbedded in the pad now. You could try flushing it out with a pressure washer or air compressor but I bet you would have to dig it out of the pad, which would require taking it apart. If you don't want to do it you should probably have the dealer take a look. How bad is the groove?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Since it has worn a grove in the rotor it is probably imbedded in the pad now. You could try flushing it out with a pressure washer or air compressor but I bet you would have to dig it out of the pad, which would require taking it apart. If you don't want to do it you should probably have the dealer take a look. How bad is the groove?
The groove isn't too bad yet... just a silver streak. I just went and got some Brakleen and sprayed the crap out of the brake caliper/disc/pads through the wheel spokes. Now it's perfectly quiet and works as it should. However, I'm going to keep a close eye on it in case I need to take off the caliper and fish out some debris. Maybe it's a sign for me to get a BBK.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

I had something similar with my C63 last year, found out on another forum its usually a pebble that somehow gets caught between the pad and rotor. Amazing how something so small that it could actually fit in there can make so much noise. the solution was to find an empty street/parking lot and do some hard breaking to try and work it out. Worked like a charm for me, I actually heard it fly out. Break pads are pretty tough, I don't think anything could embed itself into them, but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

With my F30 320D M-Sport after a couple of days from ne,w I had a squeal at about 60 mph then 30 mph.
I took it into a BMW Main dealer and was found to be a brake disc shield rubbing against the brake disc.
Appreciate 0