F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > BMW + Costal Living - Tips?
GetBMWParts

07-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
mustachiopistachio
If You Ain't First, You're Last
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi GT

BMW + Costal Living - Tips?

I just moved my GT accross the US to sunny San Diego. Besides the handful of storms we had to circumnavigate as we passed through tornado alley, those long open roads past Texas are one hell of a way to break in a new BMW (after I eased past my first 800+miles).

I'm now living a few blocks from the beach for the first time and wanted some tips from other costal owners. How do you care for your car? Best ways to fight the salt + sand? Sun protection, etc?

Obviously there are the tried and true suggestions like wax, washing regularly, car covers, etc - I'm looking for methods you all have developed from past experience.

Thank's ahead of time.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
ELNch
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320iGt xdrive M-sport

May I suggest the waxproducts from Autoglym. Very hard and makes the car very easy to Wash With car shampoo afterwards. I wax the car 1-2 times a year.

Im also living very Close to the Ocean and have never experienced any negative effects of that in the past. If you have a lot of dust winding up it can be smart to put those thin cover films on the "doorstep" of the car, and on top of the back bumper. Then you want scratch the car when Your foot slides over it on the way in or when you put stuff in the trunk. Works perfectly
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

The sun is going to be the biggest detriment to the paint. Park in a garage as much as possible, and protect it with a high quality wax or synthetic paint sealant. Or if you really want to go nuts, have a detailer apply a 'paint coating' like opti-coat, which is like a ceramic glass shell on your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
dtn
Prince of Zamunda
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW F30

Enjoy Southern California! I remember when I moved from the Midwest a handful of years ago, it was such a great change.

The extra sunshine is a beautiful thing to get used to.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Living up here on The Moray Firth coast of North East Scotland, our climate can be quite harsh at times, and yes, even strong sunshine in the beautiful clear air.
I would agree with the sentiments already expressed on this thread. I'm a keen user of Autoglym products, both Super Resin Polish and High Definition Wax. However I know from previous threads on this forum, Autoglym products are not available on your side of The Atlantic, which is a shame. But I'm sure there are plenty of other products available that do just a good a job.
I also keep my car garaged as much as possible, not only to protect from the sun, but also to protect from seagulls, or sh*te-hawks as they are known locally !
Just keep it well waxed.