F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Headlights too bright?
ARMA SPEED

10-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #23
SheckMastaFlex
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It depends on how your lights are aimed. One method is to have the top of the cutoff of the low beam pattern a given distance above the ground at a given distance. That method is flawed, as the lower the car is the more upward angle the lights will have. The other method is to have the top of the cutoff beam the same height as the middle of the headlights at a given distance, which accounts for the height of the car. That's a better method, but still not perfect, especially if you have high output lamps. If you're getting flashed a lot chances are they're aimed too high. Park your car at the entrance to your garage, turn on the low beams, put a line of masking tape on the garage wall at the top of the beam cutoff. Aim the lights an inch below that line. If you're still getting flashed repeat the process.
In my case with halogens I had to go the other way, raising them so that I could see more than 50 feet. I raised the fogs as well. The factory aim point was only ten feet in front of the car, making them useless.
Thanks, Billfitz - I'll let you know how it goes! Exactly the helpful response I've come to expect here - thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #24
CK64
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It depends on how your lights are aimed. One method is to have the top of the cutoff of the low beam pattern a given distance above the ground at a given distance. That method is flawed, as the lower the car is the more upward angle the lights will have. The other method is to have the top of the cutoff beam the same height as the middle of the headlights at a given distance, which accounts for the height of the car. That's a better method, but still not perfect, especially if you have high output lamps. If you're getting flashed a lot chances are they're aimed too high. Park your car at the entrance to your garage, turn on the low beams, put a line of masking tape on the garage wall at the top of the beam cutoff. Aim the lights an inch below that line. If you're still getting flashed repeat the process.
In my case with halogens I had to go the other way, raising them so that I could see more than 50 feet. I raised the fogs as well. The factory aim point was only ten feet in front of the car, making them useless.
I had the same problem. The first time I drove at night, I was thinking I made a mistake getting halogens (I had Xenon's on my E90 and loved them). BUT... After replacing the bulbs with higher end bulbs (what a PITA that was) I re-aimed the lights, bringing them up a LOT. That made a HUGE difference. Now, they're nearly as good as the Xenon's I had and no one has flashed me yet - although I'm still waiting for a gorgeous blonde woman to do so
Appreciate 0