F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30/F32 MANUAL CatBack Exhaust in the Making Finally!
GetBMWParts

12-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
JTMurphy92
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 428i M Sport +

F30/F32 MANUAL CatBack Exhaust in the Making Finally!

Thought I may aswell get a post out there to advertise this...

It seems I am one of the only people with a manual version of the F32 428i coupe in the world...! Ever since I test drove the car from the dealership I fell in love with it all APART from the ridiculously quiet exhaust note. Ok, in sports plus mode at something above 4kRPM it doesnt sound too bad, but none the less still not enough and certainly not enough at idling. So long story short, from that day I knew I was going to be going down the cat back route. BMW M Perf backbox priced at something ridiculous just shy of £1k so that was instantly dismissed.

Then came the search of decent exhausts... Decided to go for a performance package from aFe power in California which consisted of MagnumForce Stage 2 intake, Throttle Body Spacer, aFe scorcher module, CatBack & 4 inch catless DP.

Came in 3 seperate parcels due to the size and weight etc. Anyway, intake arrived first so it went on straight away. Video here:

Really easy to fit and I have to say a very good product.

Exhaust turned up a week later, left work early as I couldnt contain my excitement to get home and get it on... took about an hour or so to get the old exhaust off, laid it out onto my front garden in order to compare against the new system... Instantly realisied it was wrong.

Turns out our friends in California had no idea that the front midpipe actually has two options depending on Manual or Auto transmission. Not something you need to be finding out after it coming all the way from Cali to the UK. Basically the front midpipe is longer for the Auto version and also has a slightly different diammeter and bracket to go over the cat I think.

SO, aFe out the window and now at least I know that I need to ask companies if they are aware of the different front pipes depending on transmission. Turns out there are NO motorsports companies at the time of writing with a manual catback available.

It seems autos are taking over in a big way (WHY!?!?!?) so obviously all the tuning companies are only manufacturing auto exhausts. So after god knows how much searching and contacting companies about this I decided to try and take action myself...

Ended up getting in contact with Milltek as they are one of my favourite exhaust manufacturers. Basically pitched to them that they can take my car if they like and base the design around around my manual transmission in order for them to be able to sell the product as part of their range.

Supposed to be starting the job on 12th Jan and picking it up on the following Saturday so anyone interested in a manual catback or just genrally interested watch this space...!

Pics below of the difference in front pipe between the manual and auto versions...
Attached Images

Last edited by JTMurphy92; 12-23-2014 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Yellowflash
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i xdrive M package

Congrats with you choice of going with AFE Intake, I'm having the same one and I love it to!!

Can you please tell me did you film this video with Throttle Body Spacer fitted on or not?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
JTMurphy92
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello mate, no I'm not going to bother with the throttle body space I don't think. I can't really see it being worth it. Probably sell it if anyone fancies it?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
TBolts10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 F30

Intake sounds great
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Yellowflash
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i xdrive M package

Throttle body space is suppose to enhance the sound additionally and give you some extra performance at the top end.

It is really worth it to give it a try really, but if not I'm interested to buy it from you.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
JTMurphy92
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

The start...!

Ok, so dropped the car off to Milltek in Derby today! Going to pick it up next week with the first Manual Catback for the N20 F30/F32...!

Exciting Stuff!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #7
doobienewbiedoo
Rep
Drives: 428i

Please be sure to update when it is complete I also have a manual and was about to make the same mistake you did prior to reading this thread. You sir saved me some $$$$
      01-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #8
geoff7877
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i M Sport 6MT

Not installing a cat back exhaust but and axl back exhaust. I'm chiming in cause I'm part of the rare F32 428i coupe manual breed. I waited 2 months for an allocation spot to open up for a manual and now waiting for my car to go into production. Add another month there...

I almost threw in the towel for an auto trans but I'm really glad I'm sticking it out.

Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:53 AM   #9
JTMurphy92
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

You definitely wont regret it gents! Slipping the clutch on roundabouts and whacking on the corrective lock whilst feathering the throttle.

Like to see someone drive like that in an auto!!

And yes videos and pictures will all be up as soon as I have it back!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #10
JTMurphy92
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Unfortunately Milltek didn't have enough time with my car in order to get the dual output like the x35i. Something to do with the differences in valves between the F30 and F32. Although if I'm honest the valve should have been left out completely...

I'm working on trying to get some drive by vids and stuff so bare with me!

Couple of pics below though...

Ps - Also selling the aFe power catback exhaust mentioned earlier in the post, for an Auto transmisison in case anyone is interested... £600 but I am open to sensible offers. Pickup from UK would be preffered however I can provide a quote for someone interested in shipping...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 02:18 AM   #11
JTMurphy92
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Twin Output Back Box

So, the dual output back box should finally be here next week, meaning that the twin output backbox will be removed and I will no longer have much use for it.

I never posted these pics from Milltek so here they are. Anyone who is interested in taking the twin backbox off me (the one in the photos) feel free to contact me and we can talk about a figure. I will try and get some videos of the twin backbox before I remove it as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 07:46 AM   #12
JTMurphy92
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Dual output is finally on the 428! Along with the M Performance rear diffuser!

Totally transformed the car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 04:44 AM   #13
rpownallf30
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW M Sport Saloon

looks awesome mate ! what is the exhaust system ???
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #14
JTMurphy92
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Its from milltek mate, I probably wouldnt reccomend it though, its not the greatest fit to be honest.

I've had to improvise with a jubilee clip at the minute which goes around the diameter of the pipe and the bracket pulling the pipe back towards the bracket as it actually completely slipped out the rubber mount.

Having said that it sounds absolutley incredible but I would put a lot of that down to the catless DP as opposed to the exhaust
Appreciate 0