F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Am I obligated to purchase an ordered car?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
Thompson
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Am I obligated to purchase an ordered car?

So I special ordered a 2017 340i 3 months ago and it's supposed to be here next week. The problem is that I really liked the estoril blue color at first, but now I feel like I'm not going to be happy with it. In some lighting conditions it looks really good, but in others it doesn't seem dark enough for me. The shades of blue seem to change a lot depending on the lighting. I've seen literally hundreds of pictures of estoril blue cars online and a lot of them don't seem to match how the car really looks in person. Some of my favorite estoril blue photos show the car looking very rich, like a sapphire blue color, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that in person. Maybe I'll feel differently when the car finally gets here but I'm worried that it's really going to bug me too much, which sucks because I was really looking forward to getting this car. Is the dealer going to make a big issue out of it if I change my mind?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Man up and enjoy your damn car. Shit.
      02-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
So I special ordered a 2017 340i 3 months ago and it's supposed to be here next week. The problem is that I really liked the estoril blue color at first, but now I feel like I'm not going to be happy with it. In some lighting conditions it looks really good, but in others it doesn't seem dark enough for me. The shades of blue seem to change a lot depending on the lighting. I've seen literally hundreds of pictures of estoril blue cars online and a lot of them don't seem to match how the car really looks in person. Some of my favorite estoril blue photos show the car looking very rich, like a sapphire blue color, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that in person. Maybe I'll feel differently when the car finally gets here but I'm worried that it's really going to bug me too much, which sucks because I was really looking forward to getting this car. Is the dealer going to make a big issue out of it if I change my mind?
It's a dope colour. Jump in and drive it like you stole it
Appreciate 4
nozydog465.00
Blubaron791431.50
cjack29.50
      02-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
Thompson
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
Man up and enjoy your damn car. Shit.
How eloquent, thank you.
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      02-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

He may not make a big deal out of it, but legally he can hold your deposit until he finds another buyer for it, and if he doesn't get the price that you agreed to he can take the difference out of that deposit. And yes, you do need to man up. You're only as good as your word.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
Thompson
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
He may not make a big deal out of it, but legally he can hold your deposit until he finds another buyer for it, and if he doesn't get the price that you agreed to he can take the difference out of that deposit. And yes, you do need to man up. You're only as good as your word.
Apparently we have philosophical differences in what it means to be a man. As a general rule, keeping your word is important, and shows integrity. But as with any rule, there are exceptions. I don't think it's manly or virtuous to be unhappy with a sixty thousand dollar purchase, all in the name of keeping my word.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Did you sign a contract? If so, I would suggest you read it.
Appreciate 4
      02-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

First time you stomp that gas you'll forget what color it is, and yeah what they said.
      02-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #9
BAA435I
Rep
Drives: 435i X Coupe'

Quote:
Apparently we have philosophical differences in what it means to be a man. As a general rule, keeping your word is important, and shows integrity. But as with any rule, there are exceptions. I don't think it's manly or virtuous to be unhappy with a sixty thousand dollar purchase, all in the name of keeping my word.
You strike me as the type of person that probably cheats at golf. JMHO.
Appreciate 6
      02-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I don't think it's manly or virtuous to be unhappy with a sixty thousand dollar purchase, all in the name of keeping my word.
Integrity doesn't carry a price tag. You made your bed, now sleep in it. You can live with anything for four years. You called the tune, now pay the piper. Etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #11
Thompson
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAA435I View Post
You strike me as the type of person that probably cheats at golf. JMHO.
Unsubstantiated insults masquerading as honesty.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #12
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

One of the critical differences between humans (I see no reason to distinguish men from women here) and animals is the ability to plan and foresee the results of their actions.
Appreciate 3
      02-24-2017, 10:21 PM   #13
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
Dude enjoy your new car. Estoril Blue is an awesome color in my opinion
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 4
nozydog465.00
rd45022.00
mbfanos54.50
      02-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #14
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Hope you didn't put down a big deposit. Wait for it to come, don't like it then don't take delivery. You can go to another dealer to buy another or if they have another you like on the lot they may let you apply that deposit to another car.

Losing the deposit is probably better than getting a car you don't like. Repainting the car is costly too

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #15
Thompson
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Hope you didn't put down a big deposit. Wait for it to come, don't like it then don't take delivery. You can go to another dealer to buy another or if they have another you like on the lot they may let you apply that deposit to another car.

Losing the deposit is probably better than getting a car you don't like. Repainting the car is costly too
The day I ordered it they asked for a $1,000 deposit and took my credit card info but my checking account never got charged, so maybe he forgot.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:13 PM   #16
M47
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328 xDrive

Not sure if you cancel it. Estoril Blue is my favorite color, give it some time and see if it grows on you. You can always wrap your car 😉
Appreciate 3
obert1781.00
nozydog465.00
      02-24-2017, 11:22 PM   #17
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

estoril is the best non-M color
Appreciate 2
nozydog465.00
chiefneil771.50
      02-24-2017, 11:54 PM   #18
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I bet if you explain to them you don't want it, and you buy a different car from them, they would be co. But, I think you will love it soon enough. I'm a dark car guy (MG, black) but I would rock that color any day.

I think you will re-love it, soon
Appreciate 2
nozydog465.00
CalCarNut1060.50
      02-25-2017, 12:26 AM   #19
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
The day I ordered it they asked for a $1,000 deposit and took my credit card info but my checking account never got charged, so maybe he forgot.
That is odd they didn't charge the card immediately. But they probably will if you decide not to take delivery.

When next week comes, tell them you want to inspect the car first so you can see first hand if you like the color or not. Otherwise they'll have you filling in delivery papers before seeing the car. Then you have to keep it.

To add to everyone saying it's a great color... I personally would've ordered EBII if I was buying a F30 again

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 12:26 AM   #20
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Pics don't do Estoril Blue II justice, it looks way nicer it person. Most of the time it's darker than lighter from my experience of owning my car. It's only light in in areas where the sun is directly hitting it from your eyes and this makes the colour pop more than anything else.

You won't regret it
      02-25-2017, 03:29 AM   #21
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI View Post
estoril is the best non-M color
But only available in M-Sport variants. It's an awesome shade of blue. I love mine, after initially ordering MG.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 03:32 AM   #22
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
I was in exactly the same position as you a couple of months ago. I agonised over which colour to order, I don't go for very dark colours so it was a toss up between Alpine White, Glacier Silver & EB. Metallic was a no cost option on 340i here in the UK so I ruled out AW (plus I've had an AW F30 before and although I loved it I fancied a change) Silver is seen as a very generic/common colour while EB is specific to M Sport trim... so I ordered it. During the first couple of weeks of the 12 week wait I constantly thought about calling my dealer to change the colour, but every time I saw an EB F30 I absolutely loved it, so decided to stick with it. Then once I knew it was too late to change my order I 'manned up' (d'you like what I did there!?) and tried to forget about it until the big day. When I walked into the showroom and saw my beautiful new car sat in the hand over bay all my doubts went straight out the window, it looked so amazing! I'm the opposite to you, I prefer the paler blue that comes out in the sunlight as I didn't want a dark colour, but to me it always looks good and I think the way it changes in different lights is the real charm of this colour!! It's actually almost identical to the Cayman I traded in which was official 'sapphire blue'!! Also maybe consider that an even darker blue will show up every little mark and scratch as the car wears over time, which is the main reason I won't buy very dark colours (my OCD couldn't handle it!!)
You'll love it... as someone above said, it's the best non M car colour there is! Fret not, all is cool..

Attached Images

Last edited by nozydog; 02-25-2017 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 0