F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Official BMW Canada F30 MSRP Pricing – MY2012 3 Series Sedan
proTUNING Freaks

01-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soursamo View Post
You certainly can, but BMW really doesn't like doing it. To the tune of charging for a cluster swap and $500 to pull the recall letter. Audi and Mercedes provide coding to do the MPH > KPH and the recall letters are free.

I do understand we are getting more included for the price, but a two year old M3 is the same price...

theres a little secret with that...you can actually request that recall letter from any BMW dealer in the US and they will give it to you free of charge.

You only pay the $500 if you request it from BMW Canada
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
You certainly can, but BMW really doesn't like doing it. To the tune of charging for a cluster swap and $500 to pull the recall letter. Audi and Mercedes provide coding to do the MPH > KPH and the recall letters are free.

I do understand we are getting more included for the price, but a two year old M3 is the same price...
Regarding the 2 year old M3... if you want to talk depreciation that's another story! I just sold my 2008 M3. It cost me more than $1/km in depreciation. Every 1,000km cost me $1,000 (above the cost of fuel, etc.). It was in perfect condition when I sold it but I certainly took a brunt of the depreciation cost on it. Not sure I will buy new again although I am seriously tempted at times!

Fuel at an approx. 8l/100km x $1.00/l = $80 in fuel for 1,000km. So the depreciation cost me more than 10x the fuel. I thought about that once when I was filling up and it cost me $65 for the tank then I thought about the $650 in depreciation this tank will also cost me and it was a real bummer. But then I revved the V8 to 8,300rpm and the smile returned .
      01-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #25
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedM6 View Post
theres a little secret with that...you can actually request that recall letter from any BMW dealer in the US and they will give it to you free of charge.

You only pay the $500 if you request it from BMW Canada
Great advice!

Has anyone else found that prices in the states for used vehicles aren't much cheaper these days than in Canada? I found about $3-4k difference on average for a similarly equipped X5 and the exchange and pain-in-the-butt factor wasn't enough to make up the difference.
      01-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #26
Frenk
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i X-Drive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Can you even do that?
Some dealers near the border are not allowed to sell to canadians

Idk about bmw
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #27
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypon83 View Post
Poor our Canadian friend...
It's a GD joke....absolutely pathetic.

The 1 series M was $7000 more here as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #28
kv12
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i E39, X2 F39, 330 G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm View Post
Great advice!

Has anyone else found that prices in the states for used vehicles aren't much cheaper these days than in Canada? I found about $3-4k difference on average for a similarly equipped X5 and the exchange and pain-in-the-butt factor wasn't enough to make up the difference.
Yes, this is true this is because the recession from a few years ago which caused a significantly lower supply of 2008 end of leases.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
acceleration
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv12 View Post
At an MSRP of $43,600, the 328i has increased by $2,100, but is now loaded with additional standard equipment representing an added value of nearly $7,000!

Enhanced 328i standard equipment (almost $7,000 of added standard equipment)
Luxury Line
8-speed automatic transmission
Dakota Leather
18” light-alloy wheels
6.5” free-standing iDrive display
ECO PRO with Driving Experience Control (buttons located next to shift lever)
Automatic Start/Stop (automatic and manual)
Brake Energy Regeneration
Electric Power Steering
Comfort Go (keyless engine start)
Air Curtain
This is not a $7000 value to me. I do not want any of these features, and would opt out of them even if they were no-cost options. Being forced to pay extra for options I don't want is not adding any value.

I am sick of being ripped off by BMW Canada (have you looked at any parts prices lately vs. the US?). Back to shopping for slightly used cars from the US.
      01-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #30
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
The disparity between the Canadian and US market (price wise) is ridiculous for BMW's, not to mention the overwhelming taxes that have to paid as well.

Being from Detroit, and a neighbor of Canada, I honestly feel sympathy for those that want to drive a new BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

Probably their reasoning for offering a 320i in the first place.

I guess it rests with the fact that BMW has to hedge its bets against the US/Canadian dollar, and their future values compared against one another.

For you guys in Canada, is it still cheaper to buy in Canada, or could you import from the US, pay taxes and duty, and still save $$$ ???? Just curious....

Can you even do that?
No it has to do with sales volume, just like when you go to a warehouse store like BJ's the crap costs less when you buy more. BMWAG sells cars to BMWNA at a set price based on price per unit. When an "option" is 100% or standard that means BMWAG is including it in the actual base price to BMWNA and it therefore is diluted. BMWNA promises to buy X units at y price to get better pricing and included options; Canada doesn't even equal Florida so they pay more per unit so BMWAG can make some money on the transaction and at the same time maintain a market.

The other thing people always forget with converting monetary units is that direct conversions do not work- purchasing power must be considered. The dollar still buys more than currencies that are converting as more. How much is a simple Coke or Big Mac in other markets (and that stuff is not exported from the US) it is always more because even thought the currency converts to being worth more it really is worth less.... I am not good at explaining it but if you spend ten minutes reading the Economist you'll get it.

Other markets also have different tax structures and while they are part of the purchase amount they are not really the car's price. People in other markets complain about VAT and how the US is lucky to not have it- at least in some countries like Canada and Germany (etc) there is some form of health care system and infrastructure that is maintained at reasonable levels- in the US those are paid privately or in other taxes depending on the state.

I live in Germany now and I am paying out about the same as I was in the US from one market to the other... fuel being the only thing that is not in line.
      01-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #31
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenk
Quote:
Can you even do that?
Some dealers near the border are not allowed to sell to canadians

Idk about bmw
US dealers aren't allowed to sell NEW cars to people without a US mailing address.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #32
bobby79
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

The purchasing power argument makes sense.... but only when you are talking about different companies (i.e. Target vs. Walmart). This is not the case here. BMW Canada is actually a subsidiary of BMWNA. BMWNA does not adjust prices based on which states sell the most yet it does adjust the price on vehicles shipped to Canada (when really they could just treat it as another 'state')... so it's purely for additional profit. Then the dealers here double the delivery charge... fun times.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #33
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby79 View Post
The purchasing power argument makes sense.... but only when you are talking about different companies (i.e. Target vs. Walmart). This is not the case here. BMW Canada is actually a subsidiary of BMWNA. BMWNA does not adjust prices based on which states sell the most yet it does adjust the price on vehicles shipped to Canada (when really they could just treat it as another 'state')... so it's purely for additional profit. Then the dealers here double the delivery charge... fun times.
The purchasing power argument only makes sense (to me) in terms of volume. And as bobby79 said, if BMW Canada truly is just a subsidiary of BMWNA, then it is a pure profit thing.

BMW Canada has to be careful because ripping off people can lead to revolts against the product even if the product is great. I am the biggest BMW fan ever (have loved BMW since I was 2) and am actually very seriously considering other makes now which is something that I never thought I would do.

And as someone else here said, I would rather BMW Canada not "add value" to the models by making standard a whole bunch of stuff I don't need or want to pay for. I would rather they just make the car available in a more basic format and allow me to build it to the price I want.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #34
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
No it has to do with sales volume, just like when you go to a warehouse store like BJ's the crap costs less when you buy more. BMWAG sells cars to BMWNA at a set price based on price per unit. When an "option" is 100% or standard that means BMWAG is including it in the actual base price to BMWNA and it therefore is diluted. BMWNA promises to buy X units at y price to get better pricing and included options; Canada doesn't even equal Florida so they pay more per unit so BMWAG can make some money on the transaction and at the same time maintain a market.

The other thing people always forget with converting monetary units is that direct conversions do not work- purchasing power must be considered. The dollar still buys more than currencies that are converting as more. How much is a simple Coke or Big Mac in other markets (and that stuff is not exported from the US) it is always more because even thought the currency converts to being worth more it really is worth less.... I am not good at explaining it but if you spend ten minutes reading the Economist you'll get it.

Other markets also have different tax structures and while they are part of the purchase amount they are not really the car's price. People in other markets complain about VAT and how the US is lucky to not have it- at least in some countries like Canada and Germany (etc) there is some form of health care system and infrastructure that is maintained at reasonable levels- in the US those are paid privately or in other taxes depending on the state.

I live in Germany now and I am paying out about the same as I was in the US from one market to the other... fuel being the only thing that is not in line.
Great explanation; makes perfect sense.

Your point about gas is interesting as well, considering the fact that even in the US where gas is dirty-dirty cheap, it's also heavily taxed. Imagine how inexpensive it would be w/o tax!!! We are truly spoiled here...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #35
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby79 View Post
It operates independently and gets its own allocations and the cars are built specifically for that market. It is not like another state.

The volume is off even if you look at the gauge cluster... costs more per unit and there are other things that go along with that. It has little to do with profit. They have offices, staff- and different regulations etc. If it was like a state they would not need all that.

BMW Canada INC.
      01-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #36
m-technik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335, E36 Ti, Porsche 986

Being a Canadian we are quite use to paying way more for everything. Put it this way, if i lived in many States in the U.S., and made the same income as i do living in Vancouver B.C. Id be living in a large house, with a pool out back and a Porsche turbo in the garage. Instead i live in a 2 bedroom condo....its the price we pay for being Canadian.*
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #37
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3
Finally leather is standard on the 328i. It was pretty ridiculous previously that pretty much every competitor to a 328i came with leather standard but you had to pay extra for it with BMW. Its something people pretty well expect in a $50,000+ car (I'm talking after prep + tax).

Now if only they would add that kind of value to the X3. Again, it is sad that they nickle and dime you for leather on an X3 35i with the high price tag it comes with.
I had to pay for leather in my fairly costly M3. Good times.
I like the standard equipment packaged in the Canadian F30's. Huge thumbs up!

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox | '17 BMW i3 BEV Protonic - Dalbergia
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #38
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
US Purchase

I am looking to buy a second home in Phoenix, when I do, I will buy my next BMW in the US. I used to live in SoCal, and I found that you get much better service, prices and selection at the dealers I dealt with.

In the US the cool thing is that you can go to a dealership, and if you are looking for a specific car, you can find it on the internet, then negotiate a price via email, go and pick up the car and drive away in 30 - 40 minutes.

I think that manufacturers consider dealers a necessary evil, I am sure they would not want to deal with their customers directly. I really like my BMW, but as a customer, I have felt far more appreciated by Porsche and Audi.

As a BMW customer, I can't help but feel that BMW Canada, and their respective dealerships look at me as a sucker. Thing is, when I drive the car, I don't really care that much, it just does little to make me a loyal customer.

My relationship with my dealer offers me little value, and the whole buy in Canada to protect resale value is not something that means that much to me.

I have dealt with these guys;

http://www.crossborder.net/vehicle_import_export.cfm

And have imported a car before, it is a pretty painless process.

As far as dealers not selling to Canadians, this is probably true over the phone, but I would bet if you show up at a dealership with cash, they would not turn you away, I would just not tell them I was taking the car out of the country. They will do an out of state purchase (no tax), in my experience, if you have $$$ in hand, policies and restrictions seem to have a way of melting away.

Once you have your shiny new car, you can drive it up to Watertown, the Cross Border guys will put a dealer plate on it and take it from there.

I would guess that you could save 5 - 10 K depending on the car with options buying this way. Well worth it, if not for the $$$ for the principle.

B

Last edited by bueller; 01-15-2012 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #39
Modmike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BLack 2008 335i

Canadian pricing is bullshit. Read my article to how I imported mine and saved 10k.

How to import a BMW into Canada without getting rear ended
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #40
ovex
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: E46 Cab ///M + F10 ///M

Quote:
Sooooo....42,400.00 USD = 43,181.37 CAD
Why are we paying $51,200 again?
42.400 USD = 233.200 NOK
Why are we paying 550.700 NOK again??
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #41
airwave808
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
The disparity between the Canadian and US market (price wise) is ridiculous for BMW's, not to mention the overwhelming taxes that have to paid as well.

Being from Detroit, and a neighbor of Canada, I honestly feel sympathy for those that want to drive a new BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

Probably their reasoning for offering a 320i in the first place.

I guess it rests with the fact that BMW has to hedge its bets against the US/Canadian dollar, and their future values compared against one another.

For you guys in Canada, is it still cheaper to buy in Canada, or could you import from the US, pay taxes and duty, and still save $$$ ???? Just curious....

Can you even do that?
Actually, it is not that bad. As one person mentioned that Canadian cars typically include more standard equipment, providing you want it. At the end of the day, the difference is about $3500 - $4000 on a well equipped 335i. Taxes are something no one can avoid. I do think if you play your cards right, then 7% off of MSRP is a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #42
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave808 View Post
Actually, it is not that bad. As one person mentioned that Canadian cars typically include more standard equipment, providing you want it. At the end of the day, the difference is about $3500 - $4000 on a well equipped 335i. Taxes are something no one can avoid. I do think if you play your cards right, then 7% off of MSRP is a possibility.
Yes, more standard equipment but there are features (standard or optional) that are not offered here. The cost to BMW Canada is reduced in this way for the F30, although it's hard to say by how much.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #43
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave808 View Post
I do think if you play your cards right, then 7% off of MSRP is a possibility.
Wow... 7% off MSRP in Canada is fantastic! How does one go about getting such a discount? Talking to a fleet manager?

Regards,
HMR.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #44
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
To import a BMW manufactured in Germany from the US to Canada you need calculate the following:
- USD x currency exchange rate x GST (5%) x duty (6.1%)

On average, the cost is damn close to Canadian price.

Canada BMW also won't pay for the maintenance program.

I hate Canada BMW
Appreciate 0