F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > xenon retrofit costly!
Extreme Powerhouse

04-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
kjoseph270
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 XDrive 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
oh well. aftermarket it is.
+1!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran@ltbmw View Post
There isn't a thread. I will be doing a halogen to xenon conversion soon.
just wait for this guy to do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:24 AM   #25
Ectopic
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Learnt the hard way after buying my wife an Audi Q5 without Xenons. After pricing up the new headlights, wire-harness, and recoding it just wasn't worth it. That didn't even include the washer system and self-leveling system required to make it legal in Aust!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #26
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
do you think they will have one for f30? one thing i regret not getting was xenons and it bothers me every day.
I am sure they will. There are countless people regretting not getting xenons, that's why BMW probably came up with the retrofit kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #27
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I am sure they will.
Don't hold ur breath. BMW have been moving away from retrofits for the past few yrs, hence no official kits for E60/90 LCI & also no kits at all for any F-series cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #28
jeremy480
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran@ltbmw View Post
There isn't a thread. I will be doing a halogen to xenon conversion soon.
So are we still in the same boat with no xenon retrofit kit yet (from BMW or after market)?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince300 View Post
I went to the dealer today and asked how can I get a xenon replacement through them, each headlight needs to be replaced for $1200 in addition to the adaptive headlight system fixation, when I asked for the light bulbs only to be changed to xenon they said that some of the parts needed to do that such as the ignitor is not even available and if so it would cost $1500 to be replaced, so guys just in case think twice before ordering the car that u absolutely don't need the xenon coz it's only $900 extra
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #30
bcl0328
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy480 View Post
So are we still in the same boat with no xenon retrofit kit yet (from BMW or after market)?
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #31
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

just got my car, (imo) got a killer deal for a demo.. so couldnt be picky.
I asked the sales guy to give me a quote on xenons retrofit, and he quoted me $6000au...

the retrofit couldnt come faster
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #32
undermine
UnderminE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Can it actually be retrofitted at all? I mean the whole oem adaptive system rather than just some aftermkt bulbs.
Just thought I would quote your text, for the many people reading and researching how to retrofit Adaptive Xenon for you E90 or just Xenon with a shutter lens I have the answers you are looking for, I have in the recent weeks completed my upgrade from Halogen to Adaptive Xenon.

If you have sourced all your parts, congratulations you have some work ahead of you, after completing this project I have to say it was fun making it work and sitting in the drives seat knowing that for about 1K, bidding for what I need online, and even the dealer helping me out because they couldn't believe one of their customers is trying to do this them self, armed with the power of Google it was hard to accomplish.

Anyways, I have left over parts for sale stuff to get you started.

FRM3 LED basis, I have yet to confirm if I can make the shutter work with out having to tap wires, like some others have, I actually want to keep this and see if I can help people out. I went and bought a Max Brose FRM3 HW Ver 12.

The above listed FRM3 supports (LED), Xenon, and I have not confirmed addaptive or shutter. It is for sale and I will most likely use it to test unless it is sold, make an offer.

I have a pair of Adaptive Xenon (Left and Right) Head Lamps, prior cracks on tabs, repaired, no leaks, lens have some scratches, you can totally buff them out as I have, I own 2 sets and still have my original Halogen lights also for sale, make an offer.

As for the electronics, sorry but I don't have them however, I do have the information.

Ignitor, attached to blub, plug and play.

Ballast, plug and play.

LED Blinker, plug and play.

SMC (required for controlling adaptive and or automatic leveling) Some interesting info, I bought one new online and one used, not a problem coding my vin to the used one.

Again I practically got my whole setup for less than 1k and my time which I took to get it done right.

One last thing, the Conversion Harness, if you're like me and you can do anything you want to do or worth doing you can make this harness and save yourself dealer cost, or, I can give back to the community by doing some slave labor and making you this conversion harness, you can source all your parts on ETK.cc, and price check on BMWPartsupply.com which is what I did, I bought all my pins for it to be plug and play, there is some moving around of pins, before you start installing anything set it up to test, gather your parts and pull your wire first.

My back seat doesn't go down, you need to remove it to get the rear level sensor installed, there is a front one and rear one. Old E46 Level sensors work, but I bought new ones because I wanted new on my E90, I will upgrade my entire car at some point as in 5 series, I need more room.

Feel free to PM me or reply here, I will help with what I can.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #33
f30nynj
Chilling
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermine View Post
Just thought I would quote your text, for the many people reading and researching how to retrofit Adaptive Xenon for you E90 or just Xenon with a shutter lens I have the answers you are looking for, I have in the recent weeks completed my upgrade from Halogen to Adaptive Xenon.

If you have sourced all your parts, congratulations you have some work ahead of you, after completing this project I have to say it was fun making it work and sitting in the drives seat knowing that for about 1K, bidding for what I need online, and even the dealer helping me out because they couldn't believe one of their customers is trying to do this them self, armed with the power of Google it was hard to accomplish.

Anyways, I have left over parts for sale stuff to get you started.

FRM3 LED basis, I have yet to confirm if I can make the shutter work with out having to tap wires, like some others have, I actually want to keep this and see if I can help people out. I went and bought a Max Brose FRM3 HW Ver 12.

The above listed FRM3 supports (LED), Xenon, and I have not confirmed addaptive or shutter. It is for sale and I will most likely use it to test unless it is sold, make an offer.

I have a pair of Adaptive Xenon (Left and Right) Head Lamps, prior cracks on tabs, repaired, no leaks, lens have some scratches, you can totally buff them out as I have, I own 2 sets and still have my original Halogen lights also for sale, make an offer.

As for the electronics, sorry but I don't have them however, I do have the information.

Ignitor, attached to blub, plug and play.

Ballast, plug and play.

LED Blinker, plug and play.

SMC (required for controlling adaptive and or automatic leveling) Some interesting info, I bought one new online and one used, not a problem coding my vin to the used one.

Again I practically got my whole setup for less than 1k and my time which I took to get it done right.

One last thing, the Conversion Harness, if you're like me and you can do anything you want to do or worth doing you can make this harness and save yourself dealer cost, or, I can give back to the community by doing some slave labor and making you this conversion harness, you can source all your parts on ETK.cc, and price check on BMWPartsupply.com which is what I did, I bought all my pins for it to be plug and play, there is some moving around of pins, before you start installing anything set it up to test, gather your parts and pull your wire first.

My back seat doesn't go down, you need to remove it to get the rear level sensor installed, there is a front one and rear one. Old E46 Level sensors work, but I bought new ones because I wanted new on my E90, I will upgrade my entire car at some point as in 5 series, I need more room.

Feel free to PM me or reply here, I will help with what I can.
Awesome dude! Now can you write up a DIY instructions for people who take similar route with pics etc?

Or I can work with you and get mine replaced and do the write-up as well. I am from North jersey.
2013 F30 -> SOLD
2007 E90 -> SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #34
undermine
UnderminE
United_States
Rep

Yeah,

I think the write up is pretty straight forward, in fact BMW made a Retrofit PDF which I pretty much followed and it worked (I believe they stopped doing this with the new (F-Body) because of the DIY info being a loss of revenue, the grey area was the coding which I had zero experience with but I am a tech and now I feel like a master with this now.

On a side note I bought used modules except for my FRM and coded everything accordingly, certain modules you can write the VIN x number of times before you cannot write anymore from what I understand, I have even learned a little German from all this experience and enjoy it all.

Just coded mirrors, and windows to close with FOB, love it, next I want to figure out how to enable the rain sensor to close everything if it starts to rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30nynj View Post
Awesome dude! Now can you write up a DIY instructions for people who take similar route with pics etc?

Or I can work with you and get mine replaced and do the write-up as well. I am from North jersey.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #35
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
next I want to figure out how to enable the rain sensor to close everything if it starts to rain.
Can this actually be done?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #36
undermine
UnderminE
United_States
Rep

I cannot imagine this to not be an option. If it's possible on my end I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Can this actually be done?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #37
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I cannot imagine this to not be an option. If it's possible on my end I will let you know.
I cannot imagine that everytime the headlights come on automatically once could not code to make auto high beam also automatically come on without pressing the button manually, but I am told this is not possible either.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #38
undermine
UnderminE
United_States
Rep

The headlights could be brighter, and I remember hearing something about a sensor that detects on coming light and shuts the high beams off and turns them back on after the source of light passes.

Two good references.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847496

Quote:
I cannot imagine that everytime the headlights come on automatically once could not code to make auto high beam also automatically come on without pressing the button manually, but I am told this is not possible either.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #39
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I remember hearing something about a sensor that detects on coming light and shuts the high beams off and turns them back on after the source of light passes.
Yes, but you have to manually turn the system on the system every time the headlights come on.

I was stating that I would think there is a code to be able to bring that on as default and not to have to manually activate it every time, which apparently there is not.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #40
undermine
UnderminE
United_States
Rep

There is a way, there is always a way.

Quote:
Yes, but you have to manually turn the system on the system every time the headlights come on.

I was stating that I would think there is a code to be able to bring that on as default and not to have to manually activate it every time, which apparently there is not.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #41
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Pulling up an old thread. I would be really interested in doing this to my 320 as the halogens suck balls.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #42
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
Pulling up an old thread. I would be really interested in doing this to my 320 as the halogens suck balls.
Search. ...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808444&page=6
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #43
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
There is no way I am going to do that myself, do the coding etc. Nice that you figured it out though.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #44
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
There is no way I am going to do that myself, do the coding etc. Nice that you figured it out though.
the coding is by far the easiest part, other than that you are moving around a few wires..
Appreciate 0