F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW F30 3 series: Probable feature list vs. E90
Studio RSR

08-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

BMW F30 3 series: Probable feature list vs. E90

So, I've been doing a ton of reading, trying to come up with the major features changes we could expect with the F30 vs. LCI E90. I've compiled these thoughts in my head based on BMW insider comments, forum discussion, as well as trending of the F10 and new-gen F25 X3.

Although the time line has already been discussed, I fully expect an M-Sport variation to be announced in July 2012 (for sale in 3Q 2012), which corresponds to the M-Sport announcements of F10 and F25.

Feature List:
  • 8-speed auto available with bigger engine (see F25)
  • Stop/Start tech (see F25 and 2011 E92 M3)
  • More advanced digital gauge cluster with Efficient Dynamics indicator (see F25)
  • Turbo 4-cyl with power/efficiency greater than current 328i
  • Turbo 6-cyl on top-end model, probably N55 with improved efficiency and power?
  • LED front lights a la 2011 E92
  • Improved iPhone integration a promised for post Sept MY2011 E9x builds
  • Heads-up display

Unknowns:
  • M-DCT - This would be great with the bigger engine

What else am I forgetting?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

No comments?

Maybe I'll bump this one back up in a year or so....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Look at the new feature list for the F10. Almost all will carry over. Such as Lane departure warning, blind spot assist...and etc.
M-DCT will be on the M3..hence the M. I dont think regular DCT will be offered at launch either. Perhaps later.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni View Post
Look at the new feature list for the F10. Almost all will carry over. Such as Lane departure warning, blind spot assist...and etc.
Possibly. I always think those advanced safety features like blind spot assist, and whatever that camera pedestrian-identifier feature on the F10 are features used to distinguish the 5er and 7-series and cater to the older buyers of those cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni View Post
M-DCT will be on the M3..hence the M. I dont think regular DCT will be offered at launch either. Perhaps later.
Yes, my mistake on the "M" designation. I think you're right about no DCT. As we see (?) on the 1M, it's probably too expensive, and/or something they can save for a performance version of the F30.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
donsgolf2012
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
BUMP. I think the DCT will be awesome if they add it
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

DCT is certainly probably. It's already available in many major markets on the standard 335i. North America is blocked from it, but not the rest of the world. It's not mostly a cost issue, because the regular 135i and the 335i have it already. It's an issue of cost only in the case of the 1M because that's a very low production model.

As for the other options, all possible. I personally think we'll see the Dynamic Driving Control as well, probably for a less expensive fee as all technology is once it's trickled down into more mass-market models. We'll probably also see the driver assistance features, including ACC, HUD, Lane Departure, etc. I think the majority of them will carry over and will not be exclusive to the 5 and 7.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

What's the dynamic driving control? Is that something like the m dynamic mode?

I think the dct will slowly trickle down to the 3 series. Its only a matter of time.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

i want COOLED seats. I would kill for cooled black seat in my e90... lol
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post
YES!! omg, sitting on leather on hot summer days suuuck!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
YES!! omg, sitting on leather on hot summer days suuuck!
I want them, too. All of my cars have been black inside and out but you still never get used to those hot days when you climb in and onto a roasting cow. I've always hated how you get screwed on cool features and quality on the smaller models. Just because I want a car the size of the 1 series, doesn't mean I wouldn't like the quality of leather and features of an F01 7 series, but that's a different matter.

I think we'll finally get DCT on the 3 series, it's been available in Europe on the 335i for a couple years now but to be perfectly honest, if I didn't love driving manual so much and wanted an auto I would probably rather get a torque converter automatic over a dual clutch because they are a lot smoother during daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post

Sometimes I sit in my car on a hot day and my entire back starts sweating within a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

i seriously doubt the head up display will make its way to the 3er, in this generation. but i hope i eat my words.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
i seriously doubt the head up display will make its way to the 3er, in this generation. but i hope i eat my words.
Since the new x3 has it, the f30 is very likely to have it.

basically i would look at the x3 options list as well as the interior pics to see the upcoming f30.
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

cooled seats would be great. GREAT.

+1 at looking at the x3 option sheet would be the best way to accurately guess the new 3 series features.

What would I like in my next 3 series?
Less weight. Non-run-flat tires. Or at least a space under the trunk to put a full sized spare (for my non-run-flat winter tires).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Cooled Seats Is A Must!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #16
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I mostly just want it to retain it tight handling and compact size.

If they do that much, all I really need are some cool color combinations. Other than that...a bare bones version actually available in the US would be good. I would love to be able to buy a good car for $30K without all the lux gizmos and with the tight, sporty handling.

If I were the product manager in charge of the 3er line, below is how I'd package the series.

Standard Equipment:
  • Power windows
  • Power door locks
  • MT - because it's a 3er, not a 5er or 7er
  • Radio and speakers -- because you have to have one to at least get the news. I'd make it a radio that audiophiles would upgrade, but the rest of us wouldn't bother. Also, you can see what the radio/iPod/CD is playing/set to, regardless of whether you wear polarized sunglasses.
  • CD player -- because this is 2010, not 2000
  • iPod hookup -- in 2010 all cars of this caliber should have this
  • Cruise control (the regular sort) - because it belongs on a car costing $30K
  • Sport suspension and wheels/tires (18" staggered or non-staggered)- because the way a BMW handles, especially a 3er, is why we buy them
  • Torque and HP equal to the current 335 -- because that way BMW can get its money's worth out of that engine as well as setting the bar higher for Audi and MB
  • a dip stick (get rid of the computerized measurements) - just because
  • Supportive and comfortable seats -- because we sometimes drive in a spirited manner and sometimes on long trips to the mountains/beach because our 3er is more fun to drive than our S-Class or our SUV and we don't need the extra room in either of those cars
  • A nice beefy steering wheel (it doesn't need to control anything but the steering) -- because nobody likes skinny penises or steering wheels
  • Bluetooth -- because in 2010, particularly with the dangers of talking on cell phones, all cars of this caliber should have this
  • air conditioning -- because duh....
  • Xenon headlamps - there's no reason why any car should not have the maximum available light. How can anyone say that seeing less at night is a good or even OK thing?
  • A sun/moon roof -- I could probably get by without this, but I don't want to...
  • Folding rear seats -- because this is still a functional car not a supreme luxury car.
  • Automatic windshield washers that work just like the automatic headlamps...set it to automatic and forget about it. Comes with a disabling switch so you can go through a car wash.
  • Alarm system -- I wouldn't normally want this, but with BMW moving more and more toward parts being interchangeable among models, liklihood of theft will also increase.
  • Some interesting interior colors, e.g., lemon yellow, cobalt or navy blue, chocolate brown, black, white, red, dark green (no beige...folks shouldn't be allowed to choose boring colors)
  • Some interesting exterior colors, e.g., white, black, dark grey, light grey/TiAg, dark brown, light blue, dark blue, some shade of green, and red (again, no boring colors allowed...sorry platinum bronze folks.)
  • Run-flat tires -- because I don't like changing tires on the side of the road and I don't think it's particularly safe to do so.

Do all that for something in the low to mid 30s, and it's a perfect daily driver and that's what I want from a 3er. I think it'd be good for BMW too as it would give them a standard car that's got what it needs to appeal to a wide range of buyers at a price many folks can afford and thus they can gain major market share over the competitiion.

Options: If it has the above stuff, I probably wouldn't buy any of these, but the option list IMHO doesn't need to be anywhere near as long as it is right now.
  • Nav
  • Auto with flappy paddles
  • Upgraded stereo -- better speakers, more speakers, more powerful amplifier, add a pre-amp, better wiring, better tonal quality, graphic equalizer, better vibration isolation for the DC/DVD player, 3 years of satellite radio pre-paid, adds steering wheel controls for a host of different things like the stereo, phone, iPod, etc.
  • Privacy shades
  • Upgraded suspension and tires/wheels (19")
  • Dynamic handling (changes suspension from normal (same as sport suspension now) comfort (about what non-sport is now) and sport + (stiffer than now)) - This one I would buy.
  • Upgraded cruise control
  • BMW Driving School Delivery -- Buy/order your car and pick it up at (or take it to) the BMW driving school somewhere in the country and learn what your car is really capable of. You learn something, you get a nice quick weekend (or weekday) get-away, and get some thrills with your own car at least once, even if you never drive it like that again. In addition, the first 500 break-in miles are put on your car on a machine that just runs the motor and turns the wheels/tranny but the car goes nowhere. If there's anything amiss with the car, it can be fixed before you even get the car. With this option, your warranty starts at 500 miles.
  • Comfort Access
  • Leather seats (Dakota, Montana, Boston, Kathmandu, Kuala Lampur, or whatever city/state they want to name it after)
  • Upgraded leather -- Something that is actually really nice and grippy
  • Whatever other silly sh*t they want to come up with
  • Headliner -- Alcantara -- color choice -- black or matched to seat color
  • Tire Swap - Switch out the standard run-flats for regular tires and a spare. (Will reduce cargo space in the boot.) Summer, performance tires and 19" wheels required. -- Because if you don't want the convenience of the run-flats, it should be for a performance-oriented reason.

Packages:
  • Premium Driving Package -- adds carbon brakes, 19" wheels on staggered run flat performance tires, upgraded engine (adds 20-30 hp), upgraded suspension (tighter/stiffer), upgraded sport seats with contrast stitching and contrast stitching on the steering wheel too, some aerodynamic exterior body fitments like splitters and spoilers and other such bits, and dynamic handling as noted above. (I would buy this if only to reduce the brake dust.)
  • Driving Package -- same as above minus carbon brakes, upgraded suspension and upgraded engine
  • Premium Luxury Package -- adds nav, parking distance squawkers, active cruise control, cameras so you can see what's behind/ahead of you, heads up display, and any bundle of "cushy features" that otherwise do nothing to improve the car's driving characteristics but make it more of an entry level luxury car rather than a true sport sedan. (Automatically adds all elements of the Convenience Package below.) Basically it's a bunch of bells, whistles, and gizmos...There's no way I'd buy this, but I know some people like this stuff...
  • Convenience Package -- adds a few minor conveniences such as comfort access, power leather seats, fold down rear seats (if that's not standard), power rear sun shade and manual side shades, garage door opener. Basically the things that make the car very functional for day to day living. The sort of stuff that if you have it on your car, you'll have a use for it nearly every day, but if these things aren't on your car, you'd get by just fine.
  • Cold Weather Package -- heated seats, heated steering wheel (regardless of what steering wheel you get), headlamp washers, ski bag, set of winter run-flat tires and wheels stored at your local dealership until you make an appointment to have the dealer mount them for you.
  • Why?
  • Run-flats because I don't want to change a tire on the side of the road in the winter
  • So BMW can get paid for those wheel styles that otherwise nobody wants
  • So that there's yet another opportunity to get you into the BMW store and build on the relationship they have with you
  • So that BMW has free money to play with until you come in to have your tires mounted
  • Because the biggest issue I have with winter tires is having the space to store the summer ones -- I can do other things with that space. Yes, I can store them at a storage facility, but frankly, I like schleping them aroudn even less than I like having a place to put them in my garage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 12:52 AM   #17
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

Less toxic interiors, that don't cause nausea or car sickness, please!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 02:31 AM   #18
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
Since the new x3 has it, the f30 is very likely to have it.

basically i would look at the x3 options list as well as the interior pics to see the upcoming f30.
As we all know, it's up to size of the HUD unit whether there is HUD option or not. E90 doesn't have it since dashboard is not large enough. I had long talk with Nippon Seiki representative who deliver BMW HUD units. I asked if there is coming a smaller unit, but they had no that kind of like system under development. Never say never, but I'd be sceptical with new 3er to employ HUD just because difficult technology and the size it takes to install. I hope I'm wrong, HUD has been really great in my E60.
      09-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #19
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

How about an option for a regular key, if you don't want CA!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Here's my guesses:

The turbo 4 (N20) model will be called the 330i and get about 250hp.
The turbo 6 (N55) model will be called the 340i and get about 340hp.
There will be no other models sold in the US.

The 8 speed auto will be standard equipment on both models, while a 6 speed manual will be optional.
I don't think DCT will be available right away, but hopefully they will offer it in the US at the time the M-Sport package arrives.

Standard I-Drive.
Optional navigation system upgrades IDrive to larger screen.

No F31 touring for US. 3 series GT arrives in 2014.
3 series Gran Coupe in 2015.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
No comments?

Maybe I'll bump this one back up in a year or so....
Turbo diesel options + ED.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #22
prototyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Garage List
Things from my e90 I hope continue to the F30:

ZSP sport package (suspension, brakes, seats, steering wheel, etc... awesome)
active steer (awesome)
adaptive headlights (awesome)
premium audio (awesome)
non-iDrive (i like knobs for aircon and radio, thank you)

Things I'd likely pay extra for if they were offered:

M-sport kit - wheels, bodywork (a la LCI...) ... can we see 'is' spec for sedans?
Interesting interior combinations (anthracite bamboo trim, warm/dark leather colors mixed with black, etc)
DCT (time to make the switch?)
HUD

Things that should really be standard on a car of this caliber:

bluetooth phone integration
folding rear seats
heated seats, auto-dimming mirrors, garage buttons
ipod or USB input
Appreciate 0