F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Wind-Noise Issues
proTUNING Freaks

05-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #177
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 x-drive luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Unfortunately, no. The SA was a DB and I didn't have the patience to ask. I have to take it in for some minor "issues," so I plan to discuss it then.
I have to ask; what does SA and DB stand for?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #178
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
The wind noise is probably another way to help and warn North American drivers that they MUST drive below 70 mph. Clever, very clever BMW. They think of everything.
Unfortunately they must betraying to. Keep us below 50 mph as that's when mine becomes obvious. Thanks BMW!

Mine is actually in the shop now for them to replace my rusty seats as well as investigate the wind noise issue. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm not optimistic they will find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #179
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also check that the front doors hang properly. This could also be a cause. It's an easy fix whuch requires a simple adjustment of the latch on the B Pillar.

Funny things electric seats. Always had problems with them on my cars, so this time I did not spec them on the BMW. Don't need them anyway as I'm the only driver, they increase the weight of the car and can often go wrong. Less electrical adjustments mean fewer problems.
Good luck with your wind noise. I thought I had it bad with the occurrence over 50 mph, but 30 mph is insane.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #180
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

@bluemark81: I have no wind noise issues. In fact, I have no issues with my F30 330d M Sport. Long may it be so.
      05-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #181
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

While my car is in the shop, they gave me an X1 loaner. It suffers from the same wind noise I'm getting in my f30 but not quite as bad. It does have the same designed mirrors as on my F30, but they can be manually folded in so I tried pulling them in to see if it made any difference to the wind noise. Nope, no better. If anything, it may have been a bit worst. I tend to think it is either a window adjustment or possibly door adjustment. I'm hoping they can fix it, but I'm not optimistic.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #182
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
@bluemark81: I have no wind noise issues. In fact, I have no issues with my F30 330d M Sport. Long may it be so.
That does give me reason to be optimistic. Thanks! How I miss my E90.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #183
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post
That does give me reason to be optimistic. Thanks! How I miss my E90.
I do sincerely hope you get all your issues successfully attended to and solved. I strongly feel that wind noise at 30 mph is shocking and even at 70 mph is totally unacceptable in a modern car.

There has to be a design/production fault where some cars are fine and others are not. Not good for a premium marque.

Best of luck.
      05-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #184
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have to ask; what does SA and DB stand for?
Service Associate and D-Bag...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #185
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I do sincerely hope you get all your issues successfully attended to and solved. I strongly feel that wind noise at 30 mph is shocking and even at 70 mph is totally unacceptable in a modern car.

There has to be a design/production fault where some cars are fine and others are not. Not good for a premium marque.

Best of luck.
Thanks and I agree. I never had any wind noise issues with my other BMW's, so it is a bit disheartening to think a newer model vehicle is less perfect. The reviews on the F30's are the worst I've seen on a 3 series in their history. I keep wondering if I'm just more susceptible or sensitive to wind noise. I'll let everyone know if my service call fixes the problem successfully.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #186
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks and I agree. I never had any wind noise issues with my other BMW's, so it is a bit disheartening to think a newer model vehicle is less perfect. The reviews on the F30's are the worst I've seen on a 3 series in their history. I keep wondering if I'm just more susceptible or sensitive to wind noise. I'll let everyone know if my service call fixes the problem successfully.
UK reviews consider the F30 3 Series a five star car. I also feel it is superbly designed and made. However, reading forums can give a stilted veiw of a car's quality rating. Yes, there are some issues with the F30 like rusty seat bases, steering and suspension noises and wind noise but that does not mean it is a bad car or an unreliable car. It will still get you from A to B nearly all of the time. However, I agree that it is not good for customer confidence or satisfaction that such a pricy premium product should suffer from these rather basic quality issues. But one must always remember it is still a mass produced car.
      05-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #187
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
UK reviews consider the F30 3 Series a five star car. I also feel it is superbly designed and made. However, reading forums can give a stilted veiw of a car's quality rating. Yes, there are some issues with the F30 like rusty seat bases, steering and suspension noises and wind noise but that does not mean it is a bad car or an unreliable car. It will still get you from A to B nearly all of the time. However, I agree that it is not good for customer confidence or satisfaction that such a pricy premium product should suffer from these rather basic quality issues. But one must always remember it is still a mass produced car.
If I was looking for a car to just get me from A to B, I would have bought a Civic or similar. I bought the 3 (my third one) to have the best sports sedan made. I feel bmw has dropped the ball in this regard. I'm not saying it is a bad car or unreliable. It just doesn't keep with its heritage and that is what most of the pro reviewers are saying as well. Basically, it does everything well, but no longer the best in class. Reviewers say it is good, but gone soft as compared to previous generations.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #188
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If I was looking for a car to just get me from A to B, I would have bought a Civic or similar. I bought the 3 (my third one) to have the best sports sedan made. I feel bmw has dropped the ball in this regard. I'm not saying it is a bad car or unreliable. It just doesn't keep with its heritage and that is what most of the pro reviewers are saying as well. Basically, it does everything well, but no longer the best in class. Reviewers say it is good, but gone soft as compared to previous generations.
This is my first BMW ownership experience, so I cannot comment on the drive characteristics of the previous one. I have been a passenger in the previous 3 Series and really disliked its ride, interior and exterior design. So much so, we bought a VW Mk6 Golf GTI and a Mercedes C350 CDI AMG Sport.

For me at least, I find my F30 just about perfect in nearly all aspects. So we bought two exact samples which are, so far, totally agreeable. Perhaps I am not as demanding anymore as I was in my younger years and my requirements are for a more luxurious feel in a car but without sacrificing the sporting character. I feel I am reasonably discerning enough to know when something is truly wonderful. My F30 can be comfortable and quick in Comfort mode and also an enjoyable hooligan in Sport and Sport+ modes.

What really impresses me about the F30 is that it feels totally frictionless. Very few cars present themselves in this way and at first this can be a little disconcerting. But then you realise that you are driving something really quite wonderful and that this car is truly a world leader.
      05-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #189
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is my first BMW ownership experience, so I cannot comment on the drive characteristics of the previous one. I have been a passenger in the previous 3 Series and really disliked its ride, interior and exterior design. So much so, we bought a VW Mk6 Golf GTI and a Mercedes C350 CDI AMG Sport.

For me at least, I find my F30 just about perfect in nearly all aspects. So we bought two exact samples which are, so far, totally agreeable. Perhaps I am not as demanding anymore as I was in my younger years and my requirements are for a more luxurious feel in a car but without sacrificing the sporting character. I feel I am reasonably discerning enough to know when something is truly wonderful. My F30 can be comfortable and quick in Comfort mode and also an enjoyable hooligan in Sport and Sport+ modes.

What really impresses me about the F30 is that it feels totally frictionless. Very few cars present themselves in this way and at first this can be a little disconcerting. But then you realise that you are driving something really quite wonderful and that this car is truly a world leader.
I know this is going off topic, but I actually found the previous generation to be a more solid car, able to handle bumps much better while keeping its composure when pushed hard through twists and turns. The steering feel and feedback on the previous gen was far superior. I consider this generation to be very Honda like. The electric steering gives little feedback. I find the overall build to be quite tinny in comparison. i always knew the limits with my E90. It is hard to tell where the limits are with this one due to the lack of communication of car to driver. I guess they chose to sacrifice the "ultimate driving machine" for an everyday commuter. Unless you've driven previous generations, it's hard to explain.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #190
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I know this is going off topic, but I actually found the previous generation to be a more solid car, able to handle bumps much better while keeping its composure when pushed hard through twists and turns. The steering feel and feedback on the previous gen was far superior. I consider this generation to be very Honda like. The electric steering gives little feedback. I find the overall build to be quite tinny in comparison. i always knew the limits with my E90. It is hard to tell where the limits are with this one due to the lack of communication of car to driver. I guess they chose to sacrifice the "ultimate driving machine" for an everyday commuter. Unless you've driven previous generations, it's hard to explain.
Did you not test drive the car before making your purchasing mistake? In your case you would have saved a lot of money and bought a Honda instead and thereby been less disappointed. Was your previous BMW an xDrive?

Having an xDrive without the 10mm lowered M Sport Adaptive Suspension could be the problem. Also, 4WD has an effect on steering feel and makes the car more Audi like.

Read this:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-m-g...ree-cylinders/

BMW aren't convinced in 4WD despite offering it on the F30/1.

Quote:
C/D: So you are ruling out all-wheel drive for the regular M models?
FN: Yes, at least for the current model generation. Of course, we will re-evaluate the topic when we define the next-generation M5. But that is a long way down the road.
C/D: Do you believe that driving dynamics would suffer from all-wheel drive?
FN: We are convinced that would be the case. An all-wheel-drive system means 150 to 200 pounds more weight, and a clear loss of precision in steering. Ultimately, the competition between the brands would be narrowed to straight-line performance. And, by the way, we do not believe that this would be a sustainable approach.

I presume you have M Sport Adaptive Suspension (not lowered in your xDrive) and Variable Sport Steering (VSS).
      05-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #191
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you not test drive the car before making your purchasing mistake? In your case you would have saved a lot of money and bought a Honda instead and thereby been less disappointed. Was your previous BMW an xDrive?

Having an xDrive without the 10mm lowered M Sport Adaptive Suspension could be the problem (?)

I presume you have M Sport Adaptive Suspension (not lowered in the xDrive) and Variable Sport Steering.
I was awaiting that comment. Yes, I did test drive and didn't particularly like it when I did. I did point out a few dislikes to my dealer. My lease was up on my previous car and I had to turn it in. I actually thought I would grow to like it more and hopefully that still happens as it has been 5 weeks since I got it. In hindsight, I do wish I bought out my previous one, but I was also enamored with the new car fever. I do like many things about it, but all I'm saying is that I think BMW is losing their edge with the 3. I believe the 3 series torch is going to have to be handed to the upcoming 2 series/previous 1. I almost went with Audi, but had a lot of problems with my A4 when I had one. Live and learn.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #192
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

You should have bought an sDrive.
Do you have VSS and Adaptive Suspension?
      05-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #193
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have the 328 x-drive which is the same as what my previous two bimmers were so I am only comparing apples to apples. Yes, I could have gone more aggressive with adaptive suspension and vss, but with escalating costs. In Canada, x-drive is a welcomed feature in Winter so I'm willing to sacrifice some of the more sporting features, but regardless, like I said, compared to my previous cars with similar setup, this one is a lesser car. This is my opinion and I'm not trying to convince others. I'm glad if you love your car. I certainly hope I grow to love this one too. As my memory of my E90's fade, I'm sure I will love this one in time.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #194
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

.....also, in Canada, we are unfortunately limited to some of the features BMW Canada pre-packages for us. We are a very small market compared to other world markets. All of Canada is roughly about the same as the state of Florida.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #195
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have the 328 x-drive which is the same as what my previous two bimmers were so I am only comparing apples to apples. Yes, I could have gone more aggressive with adaptive suspension and vss, but with escalating costs. In Canada, x-drive is a welcomed feature in Winter so I'm willing to sacrifice some of the more sporting features, but regardless, like I said, compared to my previous cars with similar setup, this one is a lesser car. This is my opinion and I'm not trying to convince others. I'm glad if you love your car. I certainly hope I grow to love this one too. As my memory of my E90's fade, I'm sure I will love this one in time.
Amen to that.
The Adaptive setup would have really helped. It's a given the F30 is much better with it and probabaly more so the F30 xDrive.
      05-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #196
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Amen to that.
The Adaptive setup would have really helped. It's a given the F30 is much better with it and probabaly more so the F30 xDrive.
Probably, but not available in Canada on the 328. Nor is the vss. I would have had to get the 335 and that was a huge jump in price. Go to our build configurator and you'll see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #197
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Probably, but not available in Canada on the 328. Nor is the vss. I would have had to get the 335 and that was a huge jump in price. Go to our build configurator and you'll see what I mean.
I already checked!
Very mean of BMW.
      05-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #198
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I already checked!
Very mean of BMW.
yeah, you guys have it made. You can configure it any way you like. Love the style 400 M wheels you guys can get too! We get screwed so many ways!
Appreciate 0