F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Parking lot warfare
ARMA SPEED

09-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Parking lot warfare

For all of those who enjoy the parking lot etiquette discussions that we've had here.

http://ccr.cim-prog.top.comcast.net/...ver_140925.mp4
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport

Honestly that corvette owner is the kind of person who inspires most of the situations some of our members have commented and complained about. It's a sense of entitlement issue: "I drive a nice, expensive car so I'll just park however I want because I'm better than you."

Of course the person commenting is usually the opposite - someone who just enjoys their car, parks further away to avoid the issue, and thereby becomes the target of jealousy.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
AweSam8
Super Spectacular Awesome Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E70 X5M, 2014 F30 335i M

I honestly hate it when people take up 2 spots. I usually park on the ends of the lot where only one other car can park next to me and really hug the curb... but someone seems to always invade my line and spot when I'm creating space.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

That's not a nice car. I guess I live where Lambos/Ferraris/Maseratis/Maybachs/Rolls/Bentleys park wherever the hell they want because if it gets scratched, it's a reason for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's interesting because the corvette guy is an ass and clearly in the wrong. But the truck guy was also looking for trouble by doing that. I wonder what would have happened if the corvette guy did something to the truck in retaliation. I suspect it would have gotten ugly since truck guy was waiting, watching and videoing.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:05 AM   #6
punjabimd
Rep
Drives: 435i cvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan
It's interesting because the corvette guy is an ass and clearly in the wrong. But the truck guy was also looking for trouble by doing that. I wonder what would have happened if the corvette guy did something to the truck in retaliation. I suspect it would have gotten ugly since truck guy was waiting, watching and videoing.
Would've made for a more entertaining video!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I think they are both assholes and who's got time for that shit anyway... People need to get jobs. I'm guessing the Corvette owner is a retired engineer and the truck driver an unemployed construction worker (lol).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AweSam8 View Post
I honestly hate it when people take up 2 spots. I usually park on the ends of the lot where only one other car can park next to me and really hug the curb... but someone seems to always invade my line and spot when I'm creating space.
~ ditto...

kw v1 coilover kit / 19" staggered 351 M double spoke wheels / upper strut bar /
sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew 330i View Post
~ ditto...
best approach.

For underground I try to park between two pillars
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz View Post
best approach.

Yup, at a minimum I park in the corner spots so only one person could park next to me.

No excuse to be an asshole and double park. Infuriates me to see people do that.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew 330i View Post
~ ditto...
best approach.

Reminds me of the time I saw a guy with a shiny, riced out RX-7, thinking he was all cool, pull aggressively into one of those pillar spots in front of a group of babes. Epic fail. He cut it too close and scraped the entire right side of his car. Freakin side markers, plastic pieces, paint all over the place. He got out and pretended he didn't care. He didn't even look. He probably waited until no one was around and went back crying.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

I try to park on end spaces, between two pillars, or far out in the parking lot where it is quieter or park on the street. Taking up two parking spaces is just asking for trouble. It really does bring attention to your car which is what you are trying to avoid.

Fortunately, I have a beater car that I can use to do all the chores and go where all the crappy parking spaces are. I keep the BMW for fun trips mainly out on a deserted country road where I can enjoy driving. Recently I drove Washington State SR20 from start to finish - gorgeous driving road - highly recommend it. The scenery is gorgeous and the little towns on the way on really fun to stay at.

There is no driving enjoyment in a crowded city anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I think they are both assholes and who's got time for that shit anyway... People need to get jobs. I'm guessing the Corvette owner is a retired engineer and the truck driver an unemployed construction worker (lol).
Exactly. Two wrongs don't make a right. The guy "punishing" the dick who took up two spots is just as much of a dick. There are lots of assholes in this world. Going out of your way to point out that someone is an asshole makes YOU just as much of an asshole. What a bunch of assholes...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
DitDah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 153Z 335xi

I love it when you take the trouble to park at the end of the lot where theres no one around you...and when you come back, someone has taken the time to park right next to you even with open spots all around. Happens more than not believe it or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitDah View Post
I love it when you take the trouble to park at the end of the lot where theres no one around you...and when you come back, someone has taken the time to park right next to you even with open spots all around. Happens more than not believe it or not.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. I always park clear of other cars. Occasionally I do park near others who appear to be of the same mindset. No harm in my book. Wouldn't you rather have someone who also has a nice car "blocking" yours? Of course if it's a clapped out POS then that's another story. I always try to park so that some obstacle is on one side and I'm as close to it as I can get.

No matter how hard you try, trouble will always find you so long as you live in a world where you have nice things that others are envious of.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #16
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

It drives me nuts when someone parks right next to me when I'm in the middle of nowhere in the parking lot. I don't care if it's a Ferrari there is no reason to park right next to me when there are plenty of open spots. All I ask for is give me one space. On top of being anal about my car I'm 6'3" and it makes my life a lot easier to get in and out of my car when I can open the door all the way. I have taken up 2 spots before, but that was only in a completely empty parking lot when I wanted to make sure no one with a herd mentality parked too close.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel power View Post
It drives me nuts when someone parks right next to me when I'm in the middle of nowhere in the parking lot. I don't care if it's a Ferrari there is no reason to park right next to me when there are plenty of open spots. All I ask for is give me one space. On top of being anal about my car I'm 6'3" and it makes my life a lot easier to get in and out of my car when I can open the door all the way. I have taken up 2 spots before, but that was only in a completely empty parking lot when I wanted to make sure no one with a herd mentality parked too close.
I had my 335 for all of a week when I had my first parking incident.

Was at a private facility on a weekend for some work. Parking lot could have fit probably 500 cars. I was the first car in the entire lot, then another guy comes in an parks beside me with 1 spot in between (completely acceptable). A 2nd guy follows and parks right in between our cars...close enough to mine he had to lean his door on my car to get out

What's worse is i purposely parked away from the door entrance to avoid this problem. Common courtesy isn't so common these days.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

My condolences, I hope there was no damage. The first weekend I had my car I had to go to a notoriously bad parking lot. At the last second I resisted the urge to rack up the break in miles and took my wifes car. Thank goodness I did because no sooner had I parked my car than some shot old guy pulled up way too close and opened his door right into mine. Luckily there was no damage, but I would have lost it had it happened to my brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #19
rjpeaks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 6pd

but its not here in socal its in surburban NJ - its a new C6, not even a new C7. to him i am sure it was big to buy that vette.

don't matter anyway - its a funny story, i watched this week on that show.
      09-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #20
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wink

Haha...

My parking algorithm and strategy. Its all about reducing the probability to get dinged/scratched by careless people.

1. Always try to search for corner parking spaces so you can overlap half your car in the shaded/lined area and the other half in the parking.
2. If above is not available, look for a curb parking space where only someone can park in front or behind.
3. If above is not available, then try to park on the "right side" of luxury sedans in priority of brand. Park on "right side" because chances are higher that only one person is driving the car most of the time. If you park on the "left side" you have a higher chance of getting dinged/scratched.
4. If above is not available, then park next to luxury coupes (they have larger doors) on the "right side". If "right side" is not available then park on the "left side", be very careful.
5. If above is not available, then park next to smaller well maintained economy cars/coupes in priority of cleanliness/maintenance of that car.
6. Never park next to run down and huge trucks/pickups unless you have to.
7. For underground or parking in buildings (parking structures). Always go to the top or second highest level and applying all the rules from 1 to 6. Exceptions apply for parking spaces with pillars which protect your car on either side.

If everything else fails, then find another area or structure or go back home and come back on another day.. haha!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #21
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
+1
      09-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #22
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Never park next to a minivan....even though most have sliding doors...ESPECIALLY when it's in any kind of sports complex. In fact, just never park in any place like that. I've seen and experienced kids come piling out of minivans or walking between cars with lacrosse sticks flailing around, gear bags draggin along the sides of cars, cleats swinging and clunking into doors, soccer balls being kicked between cars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
Haha...

My parking algorithm and strategy. Its all about reducing the probability to get dinged/scratched by careless people.

1. Always try to search for corner parking spaces so you can overlap half your car in the shaded/lined area and the other half in the parking.
2. If above is not available, look for a curb parking space where only someone can park in front or behind.
3. If above is not available, then try to park on the "right side" of luxury sedans in priority of brand. Park on "right side" because chances are higher that only one person is driving the car most of the time. If you park on the "left side" you have a higher chance of getting dinged/scratched.
4. If above is not available, then park next to luxury coupes (they have larger doors) on the "right side". If "right side" is not available then park on the "left side", be very careful.
5. If above is not available, then park next to smaller well maintained economy cars/coupes in priority of cleanliness/maintenance of that car.
6. Never park next to run down and huge trucks/pickups unless you have to.
7. For underground or parking in buildings (parking structures). Always go to the top or second highest level and applying all the rules from 1 to 6. Exceptions apply for parking spaces with pillars which protect your car on either side.

If everything else fails, then find another area or structure or go back home and come back on another day.. haha!
Appreciate 0