F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How are the cupholders?
Studio RSR

06-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740i325e135i
Mayor Bloomberg of NYC is in discussions with BMWNA to ensure that all MY13 cars have cup holders compatible with drinks sizes no larger than 16oz...
Ha ha
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #24
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Never thought cup holders would matter to me but 8yrs in the US and 2 E60s later, I welcome the new tunnel placement. From coffee drips to scraped passenger knees, the popouts are pathetic. Oh, they also rattle with a half empty can, and with my 2004 and an almost empty can-it would eject it!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #25
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
sweet tea
You American!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
Frankisme
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Alpine White

These cupholders are one of the reasons I waited for the F30.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Is your BMW your daily driver?
Yup. I bought mine primarily as my winter beater when the fun cars are stored.

Quote:
Over the past 35 years, I've heard many people set this goal for themselves and their car(s), and a noble goal it is to have. I've never known one single person to achieve it with regard to their daily driver.
No nobility or goal set. I simply have no interest or desire to eat or drink while driving. I get in, start the car, drive.

But this discussion has been useful for learning where the alleged cupholders are located. I have verified that they exist and am pleased to have the extra storage.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #28
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
You American!
lmfao that's exactly what I tell my wife every time she puts sugar in her ice tea

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #29
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
The E90 cup holders were ok, but it's nice to have "normal" cup holders... The old ones were too close to the air conditioning vent, which is not good if you like hot coffee!
      06-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #30
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
You American!
That was in response to a previous post. Not personally a fan of McDonalds. So there.

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #31
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankisme View Post
These cupholders are one of the reasons I waited for the F30.
The cup holders are one of the best improvments on the F30
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #32
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

I'm glad they went to a more generic cup holder. I know the Z4 cup holders SUCK. and the E9x look similar...so yes a cupholder was part of my decision to get the F30 instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #33
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
That was in response to a previous post. Not personally a fan of McDonalds. So there.
I don't care much for McDonald's either, but as non-homemade sweet tea goes, theirs is really quite good.

At $1 for that huge, 32 oz cup ( :-P screw you Mr. Bloomberg!!! ), it's definitely on my top ten list of Life's Little Pleasures One Can Enjoy While Driving.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #34
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

Quote:
I don't care much for McDonald's either, but as non-homemade sweet tea goes, theirs is really quite good.

At $1 for that huge, 32 oz cup ( :-P screw you Mr. Bloomberg!!! ), it's definitely on my top ten list of Life's Little Pleasures One Can Enjoy While Driving.
Too true. It's shockingly good tea.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #35
Scudder
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

I can confirm that a large soda from Chipotle fits nicely and it is a fairly large cup. it is just a bit snug - the top of the cup does touch the dash - but is not like I had to squeeze it in. A full cup felt very secure in the car. I am guessing the 328i's new cup holders are at least average or better than other new cars out there.

I drink a lot of (diet) soda and I seriously would never have bought the 328i if it had the previous generations' flimsy-looking fold-out cup holders. Laugh if you want, but if I'm dropping almost 50 grand on something I expect a level of comfort and convenience in addition to all the sporty stuff. I use the cup holders more than half of the time I drive so I'm very glad they came up with a decent solution. Whether it is true or not, the old ones (pre 2012) made me worry they would break and/or launch my soda all over the interior of the car the first time I hit a pothole.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #36
LousyShot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
To this day, I don't know why folks didn't like the e9x cup holders. Do people put uncovered cups of liquid in them and think the liquid isn't going to spill out or something?

Not once in the entire time I've owned my car (bought it new) have I had my cup holders fail to do what they are supposed to do....hold the container I put in them -- Starbucks coffee cups (venti or the aluminum one) or soft drink bottles (Vitamin Water, Gatorade, ginger ale, McDonald's sweet tea or bottled water). The ones in the rear hold containers of a larger size. And I'm a fairly "assertive" driver. (I discovered two engine defects that manifested themselves (1) only when one exceeds 80 mph, and (2) when one floors and holds down the accelerator from a standing start or low speed, but not when already traveling above 45 mph, provided one doesn't downshift to second when flooring it.)

I've seen the cup holders on the F30. They seem like they might not be set far enough away from the control panel to hold containers that flare out as the vertical height increases (McD's sweet tea). Has anyone encountered this problem? I like that my e92 cup holders are unobstructed.
I never had a problem with the cup holders on my E90, but I did get to watch my buddy shift his leg in the passenger seat, his knee hit the bottom of my cupholder and ejected the soda bottle from the cupholder. I saw (in slow motion) the soda bottle launch into the air in a graceful arc and land open-end down in my friend's lap. He wasn't happy about sitting in soda and I couldn't wait to find somewhere to pull over and clean my seat up. The cup holders work, but do require a little extra care and attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #37
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
...The cup holders work, but do require a little extra care and attention.
I agree. Indeed, it would never have occurred to me to put an unclosed drink bottle in them (or any other car cup holder). Perhaps doing that is the reason folks don't like them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #38
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
To this day, I don't know why folks didn't like the e9x cup holders. Do people put uncovered cups of liquid in them and think the liquid isn't going to spill out or something?

Not once in the entire time I've owned my car (bought it new) have I had my cup holders fail to do what they are supposed to do....hold the container I put in them -- Starbucks coffee cups (venti or the aluminum one) or soft drink bottles (Vitamin Water, Gatorade, ginger ale, McDonald's sweet tea or bottled water). The ones in the rear hold containers of a larger size. And I'm a fairly "assertive" driver. (I discovered two engine defects that manifested themselves (1) only when one exceeds 80 mph, and (2) when one floors and holds down the accelerator from a standing start or low speed, but not when already traveling above 45 mph, provided one doesn't downshift to second when flooring it.)

I've seen the cup holders on the F30. They seem like they might not be set far enough away from the control panel to hold containers that flare out as the vertical height increases (McD's sweet tea). Has anyone encountered this problem? I like that my e92 cup holders are unobstructed.
The McD's large soft drinks barely fit in the cup holders. They flare out at the top and while they will slide into the cup holder, getting them out is another story. The top of the cup gets "wedged" into the panel right above the cup holders. You have to forcefully wiggle it free from it's grip. it can get nerve racking as it cup feels like it's going to collapse as you try to free it.

Now, I don't care for big soft drinks but I do like the large fries. But if you upgrade to a large combo meal, they won't give you a medium cup even if you ask for it. So I ended up changing my habits. I just don't order a large size meal anymore.... or I just don't go to McDs. BMW has probably saved my life.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #39
huskercubfan
STM TRPR
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i MW

Anyone mess with the cup holders in the arm rest between the two back seats?

I won't tell you if you haven't but if you have, you'll think it's cool.

Safe to say drinks won't be going anywhere back there.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #40
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:

Road Trip GOLD. haha

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #41
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Personally I think BMW missed a trick with the cupholders. I like them just fine but I think there is a market for more options in this area. Here is what I am looking for when BMW does a mid-life cycle refresh:

Standard cupholders
Sports cupholders (with extra bolstering for fast cornering)
Adaptive cupholders (for those who like a choice of modes)

I also think the enhanced display should tell me which of my two cupholders has a cup in it, so I don't have to look down and check. Safety first people.

Anything I missed?

Maybe the cupholders should be styled differently for each line. Now there's a thought...

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #42
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #43
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Personally I think BMW missed a trick with the cupholders. I like them just fine but I think there is a market for more options in this area. Here is what I am looking for when BMW does a mid-life cycle refresh:

Standard cupholders

I also think the enhanced display should tell me which of my two cupholders has a cup in it, so I don't have to look down and check. Safety first people.

Anything I missed?

Maybe the cupholders should be styled differently for each line. Now there's a thought...

Don't give BMW any ideas! They'll find a way to charge $500 for them!
      06-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #44
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post

Standard cupholders

Anything I missed?

LOL...

Appreciate 0