F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > So 428i and 435i have almost identical 0-60??? 5.3 vs 5.2
GetBMWParts

10-11-2014, 02:12 AM   #23
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

4"6 for a stock 335/435i is simply impossible.
And an MPPK with 335hp what's gonna do? 4"3??? I don't believe to this numbers. According to me, the most reliable are Bmw's number
      10-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #24
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio72
4"6 for a stock 335/435i is simply impossible.
And an MPPK with 335hp what's gonna do? 4"3??? I don't believe to this numbers. According to me, the most reliable are Bmw's number
With one foot rollout that is indeed the case. 335i with the 20hp PPK has already tested at 4.4s. This was by morortrend and they post 0-60 numbers with one foot rollout.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #25
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Magazine 0-60 times is just one data point in a car review and has so many variables its deviation can be more then +/-0.5 seconds. Track conditions, tires, driver, density altitude, heat soak, roll out, weight, options, etc. a much more consistent test on overall engine output is trap speed in the 1/4 mile.
Drive both and it's pretty easy to see and feel the difference is greater then the magazine drag race.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #26
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Jeez, people! 0-60 times? WTF? Cars have been fast enough for decades that 0-60 is such an irrelevant number. Magazine racing is for teenagers - that's what I did until I actually got my own car - a real shitbox, too - and 0-60 on it was in the teens.
      10-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #27
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
BMW for 435i claims 0-62MPH in:
5"4 stock MT
5"1 stock AT
5"2 stock MT xdrive
4"9 stock AT xdrive
5"1 MPPK MT
4"8 MPPK AT
4"9 MPPK MT xdrive
4"6 MPPK AT xdrive
So, between MT and AT there are 0"3.
I tested a 328i and for me there's a big difference between 28i and 35i, wich becomes wider at higher speed

Personally, on a flat road I recorded (with LapTimer) 4"9 with a lot of wheel spin...
What I find interesting here is there is almost a second difference to 62mph between the slowest 35i and the quickest one.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #28
Gio72
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
What I find interesting here is there is almost a second difference to 62mph between the slowest 35i and the quickest one.
Yes, true!
Sorry for my poor english, but "one foot rollout" what does it means?
      10-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #29
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, true!
Read this

A Few Words About Rollout
The term "rollout" might not be familiar, but it comes from the drag strip. The arrangement of the timing beams for drag racing can be confusing, primarily because the 7-inch separation between the "pre-stage" and "stage" beams is not the source of rollout. The pre-stage beam, which has no effect on timing, is only there to help drivers creep up to the starting position. Rollout comes from the 1-foot separation (11.5 inches, actually) between the point where the leading edge of a front tire "rolls in" to the final staging beam — triggering the countdown to the green light that starts the race — and the point where the trailing edge of that tire "rolls out" of that same beam, the triggering event that starts the clock. A driver skilled at "shallow staging" can therefore get almost a free foot of untimed acceleration before the clock officially starts, effectively achieving a rolling-start velocity of 3-5 mph and shaving the 0.3 second it typically takes to cover that distance off his elapsed time (ET) in the process.

We believe the use of rollout for quarter-mile timed runs is appropriate, as this test is designed to represent an optimum drag strip run that a car owner can replicate at a drag strip. In the spirit of consistency, we also follow NHRA practice when calculating quarter-mile trap speed at the end of the run. So we publish the average speed over the final 66 feet of the quarter-mile run, even though our VBOX can tell us the instantaneous speed at the end of the 1,320-foot course, which is usually faster.

On the other hand, the use of rollout with 0-60 times is inappropriate in our view. For one, 0-60-mph acceleration is not a drag-racing convention. More important, it's called ZERO to 60 mph, not 3 or 4 mph to 60 mph, which is what you get when you apply rollout. While it is tempting to use rollout in order to make 0-60 acceleration look more impressive by 0.3 second, thereby hyping both the car's performance and the apparent skill of the test driver, we think it's cheating.

Nevertheless, some car magazines and some automobile manufacturers use rollout anyway — and fail to tell their customers. We've decided against this practice. We publish real 0-60 times instead. But in order to illuminate this issue and ensure we do justice to every car's real performance, we've begun publishing a clearly marked "with rollout" 0-60 time alongside the primary no-rollout 0-60 time so readers can see the effects of this bogus practice.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...nd-trucks.html

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #30
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Basic thing to understand is at a drag strip starting line there are four sets of lights on the tree.

Pre-Stage top two yellow lights, one for each lane.
Staged next set down two yellow lights, one for each lane.
Start lights, 3 orange 1 green for each lane. They typically sequence 1/2 second apart
Foul light 1 red light for each lane, comes on it you launch early.

As a car creeps toward the two light beams of the starting area, its front tire will eventually block the first beam and trigger a "prestage" warning. This informs the driver that the official starting line, where the "stage beam" shines across the track, is only seven inches ahead. When the front tire triggers that second beam, the vehicle is properly staged for a run. However, the vehicle's position can still vary by well over a foot while its front tires are blocking the stage beam. This is critical, because the drag-strip clock does not start until the second light, or stage beam, is uncovered. It is this distance that is the critical rollout.

The length of the rollout depends on the diameter of the tire and where the driver chooses to position the car at the start. Although the rollout distance is typically only a foot or so of a quarter-mile, it can affect the elapsed time by as much as 0.3 second

Since the rollout can vary all over the place Car & Driver actually measures the distance required for the specific test cars tires to uncover the start beam. They then position the car so that all test cars will have exactly a 1 foot rollout.

A sneaky old fart driver will if he can get away with it will come into the beams at as much angle as he can. This effectively lengthens the rollout allowing you to game the starting lights. Also some cars will move their back ends left or right on a hard launch. You can also use the angle to enable the car to straighten itself out in relation to the track with less driver input.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-11-2014 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #31
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Standard Definition:

Basic thing to understand is at a drag strip starting line there are four sets of lights on the tree.

Pre-Stage top two yellow lights, one for each lane.
Staged next set down two yellow lights, one for each lane.
Start lights, 3 orange 1 green for each lane. They typically sequence 1/2 second apart
Foul light 1 red light for each lane, comes on it you launch early.

As a car creeps toward the two light beams of the starting area, its front tire will eventually block the first beam and trigger a "prestage" warning. This informs the driver that the official starting line, where the "stage beam" shines across the track, is only seven inches ahead. When the front tire triggers that second beam, the vehicle is properly staged for a run. However, the vehicle's position can still vary by well over a foot while its front tires are blocking the stage beam. This is critical, because the drag-strip clock does not start until the second light, or stage beam, is uncovered. It is this distance that is the critical rollout.

The length of the rollout depends on the diameter of the tire and where the driver chooses to position the car at the start. Although the rollout distance is typically only a foot or so of a quarter-mile, it can affect the elapsed time by as much as 0.3 second

Since the rollout can vary all over the place Car & Driver actually measures the distance required for the specific test cars tires to break the start beam. They then position the car so that all test cars will have exactly a 1 foot rollout.
You nailed it man

That's why it makes sense to compare C&D times to other cars they have tested. But you can't compare C&D tests to Road and Track since there is already approximately 0.3s difference before the tests are even started.

Car and Driver and Motortrend are comparable.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #32
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 2016 X5 35i, F25d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingc0bra View Post
haha sounds like someone got their panties in a bunch

Last time I checked, people don't drive 150mph but then again maybe you do with your uber fast 435i that is god sent
I drive 100-130 MPH everyday on my way to work. Don't hate on german roads...and the 3.0 perform beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Yeah...only a 0.1 second difference indicates they are as fast as each other since 0-60 is the best indicator of speed. That's really a dead heat and shows the power difference has no effect.

Nevermind that the 435i goes from 60-100 MPH 2.2 seconds faster, and gets to 150 MPH several seconds faster than the 428 can get to 140 MPH. That's meaningless since no one goes that fast anyway, but I launch my car at every intersection.
Relax bro, your 435 means you still have bigger balls than 428 owners

10-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #34
Gio72
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Read this

The term "rollout" might not be familiar, but it comes from the drag strip. The arrangement of the timing beams for drag racing can be confusing, primarily because the 7-inch separation between the "pre-stage" and "stage" beams is not the source of rollout. The pre-stage beam, which has no effect on timing, is only there to help drivers creep up to the starting position. Rollout comes from the 1-foot separation (11.5 inches, actually) between the point where the leading edge of a front tire "rolls in" to the final staging beam — triggering the countdown to the green light that starts the race — and the point where the trailing edge of that tire "rolls out" of that same beam, the triggering event that starts the clock. A driver skilled at "shallow staging" can therefore get almost a free foot of untimed acceleration before the clock officially starts, effectively achieving a rolling-start velocity of 3-5 mph and shaving the 0.3 second it typically takes to cover that distance off his elapsed time (ET) in the process.

We believe the use of rollout for quarter-mile timed runs is appropriate, as this test is designed to represent an optimum drag strip run that a car owner can replicate at a drag strip. In the spirit of consistency, we also follow NHRA practice when calculating quarter-mile trap speed at the end of the run. So we publish the average speed over the final 66 feet of the quarter-mile run, even though our VBOX can tell us the instantaneous speed at the end of the 1,320-foot course, which is usually faster.

On the other hand, the use of rollout with 0-60 times is inappropriate in our view. For one, 0-60-mph acceleration is not a drag-racing convention. More important, it's called ZERO to 60 mph, not 3 or 4 mph to 60 mph, which is what you get when you apply rollout. While it is tempting to use rollout in order to make 0-60 acceleration look more impressive by 0.3 second, thereby hyping both the car's performance and the apparent skill of the test driver, we think it's cheating.

Nevertheless, some car magazines and some automobile manufacturers use rollout anyway — and fail to tell their customers. We've decided against this practice. We publish real 0-60 times instead. But in order to illuminate this issue and ensure we do justice to every car's real performance, we've begun publishing a clearly marked "with rollout" 0-60 time alongside the primary no-rollout 0-60 time so readers can see the effects of this bogus practice.
Thank you!
I think that rollout has no sense for the reasons expressed by the bold phrase.
None of the major car magazine I use to read is used to measuring 0-100kmh (0-62mph) w/rollout...
      10-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #35
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Read this

Thank you!
I think that rollout has no sense for the reasons expressed by the bold phrase.
None of the major car magazine I use to read is used to measuring 0-100kmh (0-62mph) w/rollout...
Absolutely, it makes no sense but that's the convention used in the US. Elsewhere the true 0-60 is what's measured but at least we have some publications that try to do it right, unfortunately they sell fewer copies or have a smaller audience than the ones that quote numbers with the rollout. So 4.6s it is

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #36
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, true!
Read this

Very informative. Thank you!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #37
Gio72
Captain
Rep

Thank to 300hp, who is always kind!
      10-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #38
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post

LOL, ok...I guess the meaning of my post was misconstrued as a 435i vs. 428i thing. That wasn't my point, since both cars are slow as shit to me. I was simply making fun of the kids above who get their jollies off 0-60 times by highlighting the insignificance of it as a measurement of how fast a car is. One tenth of a difference in 0-60 obviously didn't paint a full picture, but of course magazine racers wouldn't see that. Being a 435i and 428i is irrelevant...call them Car A and Car B.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #39
Samurai30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i msport

from what I read on here...one of the reasons why you get the 435 is knowing you have that extra HP (which is never really used in everyday normal driving) and the sound. I think the sound is the biggest difference. You get a better sounding engine with the 435. You pay for that sound. although the 428 active sound helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #40
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingc0bra View Post
And close enough 1/4 mile....very surprised.

Should I consider a 428i, it actually puts down nice numbers!!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mw-435i-page-2

Test drive both cars thoroughly. Decide for yourself. I drove the 328 and the 335 and choose the 328 because it was plenty fast enough for me. I liked the 328 because it cost less, got better gas mileage, and is lighter and possibly more nimble due to less weight in front. The N20 sound in the 328 didn't bother me so that was not a factor. I've had the 328 15 months now and I love it. But that's me. You should decide for yourself. BTW, the difference is price is not over $5,000 plus IF you get options. The 35 comes with features that are standard that are optional on the 28. So, build both in the configuration you want and see the price difference for yourself. The difference can be as low as $3,200.

Regarding performance of the two cars. We get a lot of info from forum members and car magazines about 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times, etc. It would be very interesting if a real test of the two platforms were made on a road course race track with professional drivers using cars set up with the same tires and the same transmission. Have the drivers swap cars and do the test again. Then, we would have some really useful information about the relative performance on key real world factors such as cornering and braking.

Given the extra power and torque of the 35, it would probably win, but by how much?...and, is that difference important for day to day driving?

If of course, the 35 is being purchased because of the smoothness and sound of the in-line 6 and the bragging rights of the numbers on the trunk lid, then none of these performance numbers matter anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #41
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post

LOL, ok...I guess the meaning of my post was misconstrued as a 435i vs. 428i thing. That wasn't my point, since both cars are slow as shit to me. I was simply making fun of the kids above who get their jollies off 0-60 times by highlighting the insignificance of it as a measurement of how fast a car is. One tenth of a difference in 0-60 obviously didn't paint a full picture, but of course magazine racers wouldn't see that. Being a 435i and 428i is irrelevant...call them Car A and Car B.
What you forget is you have no friends here. And you have been banned here once since you rarely bring anything meaningful other than an insight into how sad your situation might be. I have told you before, if there is so much going on on your end how come you insist on being on the F3X forums. Get friends bro and if you have been banned once raise you head high and move on

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #42
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Quote:
What you forget is you have no friends here. And you have been banned here once since you rarely bring anything meaningful other than an insight into how sad your situation might be. I have told you before, if there is so much going on on your end how come you insist on being on the F3X forums. Get friends bro and if you have been banned once raise you head high and move on

Friends are overrated...
      10-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #43
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

There's life after 60...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #44
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

in addition to auto vs. manual for the 35 and 28 don't forget the rear tire width and the fact that some cars come with all seasons and some summer tires

For example, a 6MT 335 with the 225 all season tires is going to struggle to put the power down and it will be a close race against an 8AT 328 with 255 summer tires

335 is faster but the gap between the two cars is definitely closer than E90 generation
Appreciate 0