F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > '13 F30 Xdrive springs--H&R Now available!
Studio RSR

02-27-2015, 06:43 AM   #397
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastFrontierBimmer View Post
I had the H&R sport springs installed on my '14 435i xDrive not long after purchase. The resulting ride height put the xDrive were I think a sport coupe "should be," while retaining the winter driving advantages of all-wheel-drive. There is about 1" of wheel gap front & rear. Regarding ride, in my opinion the stock dampers are too soft for the springs. Both compression and rebound happen a bit too quickly on bigger rolling frost heaves and bumps. It's not horrible, but I personally would like more damping to eliminate the quick "bounce back" after bigger compressions. Some sharper bumps immediately produce a "thud" - possibly a product of the progressive spring rate with the light damping of the stock struts.

Recently I hit a monster pothole - a product of the very strange freezing/raining/thawing cycles we're having here this winter. It was horrible and I put a slight flat spot on both driver-side winter wheels (tire beads are okay) and broke the lower tab on the front strut, causing the strut to slide in the lower pinch bolt/clamp and dropping the ride height about 3/4" on the driver front.

I'm wondering if I would have sustained such damage had I been running the taller & softer stock springs. My guess is I would have, as it was an exceptionally bad pothole. I'm deciding now whether to replace the stock struts and shocks with Bilstein B8s, which are supposed to be 20% stiffer than stock hence; theoretically better suited to the H&R springs, or go back to the stock springs with an OEM replacement strut.
Said it perfectly. H&r on stock struts iis great on nice road and can handle very minor bumps. Can't wait for the bilsteins to come out with the full set for the Xdrive.
Can we get another bilstein group buy for the xdrivers
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #398
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
New to the site. Just got my car yesterday and super excited to start doing some small mods.

First thing I'm looking to do is drop the car slightly.

I have a 2015 335xi M Perf. Edition on the 20" 405's. Looking to install the H&R sports this upcoming week along with spacers.

If anyone else has the same car with the same type of setup, I would love to see some more images along with details on what size spacers you went with. I'm thinking 10mm up front and 12/13/15 on the back but unsure what will provide the best looking stance.

Thanks and look forward to digging into some more of these threads!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 09:02 PM   #399
Batmobile
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i m performance edition

Check out my car

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006684
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #400
bmlee
Rep
Drives: 318d m sport

Those bilsteins ever get released?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #401
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlee View Post
Those bilsteins ever get released?
yes but there was a forum member floating around here who said the h&rs were way too short for the bilsteins or any aftermarket shock for that matter. you will bottom out regardless on the H&Rs
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #402
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
Is your car xdrive?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #403
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Hey all,

Man i commented 8 months ago and since then only a couple others have commented haha.

Anyway, i did end up going with the h&R sports back in March. So far, it seems decent on the street.

I've been contemplating getting some coils instead and have been looking at KW's (which would be ideal) as well as some cheaper options like BC Racing.

My budget prefers BC Racing, but after doing some research, I'm not sure if this may be the right route.

Been thinking about maybe finding some aftermarket struts to match with my H&R Sport springs as a better option than cheap coils.

My car: 335i X-Drive w/ dynamic handling
Driving Type: Mainly city, with 5-6 track days a year

I've been searching to see if there are any posts for Xdrive specific struts that would match up well but am having trouble finding anything.

If what kzflags says is true, that would be quite disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #404
Batmobile
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i m performance edition

Yes it is
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #405
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

save your money and go with the kw v1 kit.

i started with the h&r sport springs and it's way too low and crashes way to often. h&r needs to redesign these things imo!

kw v1 coilover kit / 19" staggered 351 M double spoke wheels / upper strut bar /
sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 12:08 AM   #406
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
Hey all,

Man i commented 8 months ago and since then only a couple others have commented haha.

Anyway, i did end up going with the h&R sports back in March. So far, it seems decent on the street.

I've been contemplating getting some coils instead and have been looking at KW's (which would be ideal) as well as some cheaper options like BC Racing.

My budget prefers BC Racing, but after doing some research, I'm not sure if this may be the right route.

Been thinking about maybe finding some aftermarket struts to match with my H&R Sport springs as a better option than cheap coils.

My car: 335i X-Drive w/ dynamic handling
Driving Type: Mainly city, with 5-6 track days a year

I've been searching to see if there are any posts for Xdrive specific struts that would match up well but am having trouble finding anything.

If what kzflags says is true, that would be quite disappointing.

Forget the budget coilovers. You pay what you get. Use the money for some track tires like nt01 or R888 and some track (brake) pads for your track days. You would benefit much more. Bilstein or KW v2 with EDC delete.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 02:10 AM   #407
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorzy View Post
Ride quality is better than stock and nowhere near bouncy. I have adaptive suspension and the H&R sport springs fits sport mode better than stock springs. In comfort mode the difference is hardly noticeable imo. OT in this thread, but the front lip is the upgrade I'm most happy about. Makes the front look perfect, and the single detail I hear most people commenting :-).
Great input- esp from an Adaptive M owner. What is your long-term assessment of the spring improvement since you installed them?

regards

m
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 02:26 AM   #408
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post
Installed the H&R Sports about two hours after I picked up the car from the dealership, so I can't really comment on the difference in the "before and after", however I can give a short review on how the car rides so far. The pic below is how the car looked just after getting the springs installed and I then swapped the 20" 405s out for some 18" with Dunlop 4D winters so I've been running on those and I assume the ride will be a bit harsher once the 20's are back on for summer.

I also don't drive the car in anything but sport/sport+ mode...in fact I am going to have it coded so that it starts up in Sport+ mode. So again can't comment on the Comfort mode ride. Coming from a C350, so I've had enough "comfort" over the last 4 years, lol.

Ok so all that said...the ride is stiff enough, but I still feel some body roll on on/off ramps. I will also say that the car does start to feel "bouncey" on roads with extended unevenness or undulating pavement. Luckily I don't drive on many roads like this, so I don't experience it that often.

As for clearance, someone in this thread said it...if you've driven a lowered car before than you just know how to drive one (I.e. Railroad tracks, speed bumps, driveways, etc.) - I had a WRX a few cars ago also lowered on H&Rs. Never had an issue with the stock shocks.

I have only bottomed out the shocks once when I hit a pothole I didn't see (filled with water). And I haven't scraped the front lip yet.

I feel like the suspension could still be improved so I'm thinking of swapping them out for a set of KWs come summer. Just waiting to see a few more reviews on them from guys with xDrive and DHP. Anyway here's a shot of the car...it does look better than stock height for sure.
You have the exact same car as I do (xDrive Laguna Seca Adaptive M)- am also still on 20"" wheels summer, 18/winter- which feel great on good roads, but I v carefully drive slowly, around any pothole. Even small pothole make the car bottom feel as if it is the end of the world- but it forced me to be a far more reactive driver, and alert at scanning ahead. Waited for a good reason, braking in, eliminated little glitches.

Next step: Springs and Shockware.

What is your long term assessment of the H&R springs, upgraded to KW? Your being from Toronto means some degree of snow and irregular roads- how does the mod handle? Have done 40 k from Ontario all the way to deep QC Laurentides - Saguenay and back. Saguenay- best driving twisty hill/mountainous road country I have seen anywhere short of BC...Body roll is a bit of an issue- but about as much as tire temperature and quality. On a chill day it makes little sense to push.

Given any thought to Dinan Shockware?

thanks,

M
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #409
Arkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 xdrive sedan

With stock shocks and just H&R springs. Can you NOT put in any spacers in front or rear? I just have bad experiences with spacers on my car before.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #410
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkini View Post
With stock shocks and just H&R springs. Can you NOT put in any spacers in front or rear? I just have bad experiences with spacers on my car before.
I have H&R Sport, stock shocks and 19x9 ET29, 19x10ET40. You have plenty of room for spacers on stock wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #411
Speedman1
Rep
Drives: 328i

I'm in the same boat I'm not bring it to the track just want to get rid of the gap with h&r springs or coilovers.i hear good things and bad thing about just going with springs
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #412
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
hey guys I have a 320i xdrive on 18s, if I want a minimal drop front and back, and maintain the ride quality of oem or make it a bit better, I NEVER EVER RACE, SPEED, OR CORNER HARD, performance means nothing to me, I drive a lot and want comfort and looks.. I am planning on going with a set of h&r springs, but due I also need spacers and bumper stops?? not sure what to buy here..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #413
h82lose
Enlisted Member
Estonia
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive Individual

BMW 328i xDrive - ST suspension (KW) lowering springs -30/20

Before/after (next day)

Not the lowest setup (vs H&R sport) but still hitting hard when road is bumpy... But braking and handling performance is much better!
Wheel cap (fender to wheel) before: ~13cm, after ~10,5cm all around
      04-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #414
h82lose
Enlisted Member
Estonia
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive Individual

Update with summer tires (225 front and 255 rear):

04-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #415
Aello
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive M-Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL. View Post
What. A. Difference. Wow.

I've always never liked the F30 xDrive simply because it drives like a boat and feels more like a luxury cruiser than anything. This re-confirms me when I recently test drove the F32 and found out how much better that machine was.

Not anymore. After the H&R Spring drop that I did yesterday, with spacers and alignment, it rides and looks like a dream. Yes, it is harsher and yes it does bottom out at times, but it depends on what you want. I actually prefer that feeling as it feels a lot more connected and planted on the road. And nowhere is it any harsh, when I came from 2+ years of coilovers in DD.

But I can understand why some people think it's too harsh if you have never experienced coils or stiff rides before.

At the end, lost a bit of comfort, but at least it keeps me awake from my evening drive. I almost fell asleep on occasional times with the stock suspension driving past midnight.

It's well worth it. Time will tell how long these dampers will last.

dL
Do you have the adaptive suspension? I have a 335i xDrive without adaptive suspension and wondering if it would get the same results.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 02:36 AM   #416
djwoodyuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive 2014

I'm looking to install the H&R springs on my 335 xDrive.

What is the best setup for spacers after the drop?
Is 12mm Front & 15mm Rear OK?

Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #417
MojoRider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
hey guys I have a 320i xdrive on 18s, if I want a minimal drop front and back, and maintain the ride quality of oem or make it a bit better, I NEVER EVER RACE, SPEED, OR CORNER HARD, performance means nothing to me, I drive a lot and want comfort and looks.. I am planning on going with a set of h&r springs, but due I also need spacers and bumper stops?? not sure what to buy here..
Same place. Let me know if you figured this out. Tks.
      11-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #418
ibazooka
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335Xi, '89 S50 E30,'95 E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
As I mentioned, I had H&R sport springs done today and wow what a difference...almost no body roll and it's not bouncy just much stiffer. This made all the difference for me! I also did 13mm spacers in the front and rear. I'll take more pics soon as it's already too dark out.
What Wheels / tire size are you running? Love this look!
Appreciate 0