F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Scary ride
Studio RSR

02-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Mungogrubb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 30D MSport, Carbon Black

Scary ride

Chaps I have just had the scariest commute and can't work out why? Very light rain and 2.5 degrees and the car is all over the place! No traction out of corners at all even on very light throttle, traction control flashing constantly had to resort to Ecopro mode just to make progress- any body else had similar issues?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungogrubb View Post
Chaps I have just had the scariest commute and can't work out why? Very light rain and 2.5 degrees and the car is all over the place! No traction out of corners at all even on very light throttle, traction control flashing constantly had to resort to Ecopro mode just to make progress- any body else had similar issues?
Assuming your tyres have plenty of tread... summer tyres being cold and rubber compound hard on a damp road? Greasy surfaces, combined with the cold tyres. Tyre pressures not ideal to give a perfect contact patch, can show in conditions you were driving. All possibilities if you are simply not getting enough grip.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Or just icy conditions that haven't yet cleared ?? Summer tyres shouldn't be that bad unless its very cold or snowy.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Yes, I've had this once in a while in the past, to the extent that on one occasion I stopped and checked my tyre pressures. The last time was on roads that I travelled every day and it was just this one day that it felt like I was almost driving on ice (I wasn't, as the temperatures were low but had been a few degrees above freezing for a few days).

I can only assume it's a specific combination of greasy roads and weather conditions.

Someone did suggest to me that it might be due to the chemicals in the gritting that they spread when there's likely to be ice, but I've no idea if that's the case. It would seem a bit stupid to make the roads slippery when you're trying to make them safer.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Mungogrubb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS
Yes, I've had this once in a while in the past, to the extent that on one occasion I stopped and checked my tyre pressures. The last time was on roads that I travelled every day and it was just this one day that it felt like I was almost driving on ice (I wasn't, as the temperatures were low but had been a few degrees above freezing for a few days).

I can only assume it's a specific combination of greasy roads and weather conditions.

Someone did suggest to me that it might be due to the chemicals in the gritting that they spread when there's likely to be ice, but I've no idea if that's the case. It would seem a bit stupid to make the roads slippery when you're trying to make them safer.
Pretty much the same situation I have driven these roads everyday for 10 years and in all weather however today was something special- no front end or rear grip at all and a queue of traffic behind me because I just couldn't make any progress. What concerned me is it seemed to only be my car seriously getting traction control flashing at 40'ish mph on a straight where I would normally be doing 80!
Hopefully it's just a combination of cold, rain, country roads and summer tyres
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Or just icy conditions that haven't yet cleared ?? Summer tyres shouldn't be that bad unless its very cold or snowy.
Ice conditions 'underneath' the rain could be a possibility, that is a lethal combination.

Up here where we get changes of seasons as we drive, tyre performance can change in seconds. I remember one of my first encounters with RFTs when the temperature suddenly dropped mid journey, from something like 8C to 1C, in a couple of miles. It started raining (snow in the rain) the tyres chilled and the ride and handling just fell apart. Was like a completely different car to drive, nervous and twitchy, even when dropping off the speed. My passenger could feel the ride had changed in just a mile or so. Quite enlightening, got me experimenting in the wet and at low temperatures and realised RFTs are inclined to run stone cold, don't get up to working temperatures or pressure, hard as rocks. Will drop 0.25 - 0.3 bar from normal during cold temperature running, or fail to heat the same (0.25 - 0.3 bar) pressure over distance, on cold and wet roads.

Nothing like a conventional tyre in the same conditions. One of the reasons I moved to winter tyres, as summer RFTS couldn't be trusted, even without snow and ice. Winter RFTs still run cold, but at least the rubber compound and tread design give a better chance of holding suitable running characteristics.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Winter tyres are required really in low temps, I can fly round corners in mine and it sticks like glue.
      02-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Mungogrubb
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies - definitely winters for me next year. First experience of run flats your comments Pete make a lot if sense!
Appreciate 0