F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Any Reason For Me To Get Tech Pack?
proTUNING Freaks

12-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #23
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironysatire View Post
btw, I suspect a lot of F30 drivers go with the 328 rather than the 335 so that they can load up on other options? How many of you consciously did that? BMW seems to have thoughtfully arranged it so that we all spend the same amount of $$ on the car, no matter how we choose to power it.
I'm not personally in that camp, but you've definitely spotted a trend there.

Certainly the 328i delivers very respectable performance, segment leading indeed.

BMW has stated in the past that the trend is for even the less expensive cars (1 series, 3 series) to be optioned up with Nav, leather, etc. Buyer just become more accustomed to premium interior features, and don't mind trading some performance to gain creature comforts.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #24
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Not sure if money is a factor, but without all the goodies, you may be better off with a different vehicle. Seems like the OP isn't really interested in what makes it a luxury car as opposed to just a sports car.

That said, I'm sure you can get a bare bones model with just the driving features/enhancements and be satisfied with it. I just wonder if you may be better served with a different car. It's probably blasphemous, but thing Mustang GT with all that performance/power on tap, very good handling, etc and save some $$$.

I'm just amused at your reaction to the HUD. I found it cool/amusing when I first saw it, drove it for a couple months, and then drove a rental and found myself whining about not having HUD. It's almost to the point I think, how did I live without it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #25
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Not sure if money is a factor, but without all the goodies, you may be better off with a different vehicle. Seems like the OP isn't really interested in what makes it a luxury car as opposed to just a sports car.

That said, I'm sure you can get a bare bones model with just the driving features/enhancements and be satisfied with it. I just wonder if you may be better served with a different car. It's probably blasphemous, but thing Mustang GT with all that performance/power on tap, very good handling, etc and save some $$$.

I'm just amused at your reaction to the HUD. I found it cool/amusing when I first saw it, drove it for a couple months, and then drove a rental and found myself whining about not having HUD. It's almost to the point I think, how did I live without it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
A Mustang GT isn't a sedan last I checked. It's an amazing bargain, but useless if you need 4 doors and any level of practicality.

Let's say you want a sporty 4 door car and don't actually care about having every gadget under the sun, but don't want something completely ricer looking like the STI and Evo. What exactly is competing with the F30 there at a significantly lower price point?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
ironysatire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue E90 sedan

Exactly.

Also, I need an XDrive. Our area gets about 200 inches of lake effect snow a year. Or at least it did before global warming lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
A Mustang GT isn't a sedan last I checked. It's an amazing bargain, but useless if you need 4 doors and any level of practicality.

Let's say you want a sporty 4 door car and don't actually care about having every gadget under the sun, but don't want something completely ricer looking like the STI and Evo. What exactly is competing with the F30 there at a significantly lower price point?
Point taken, I missed that he wanted a sedan only. You may laugh at the following options that came off the top of my head, but these cars, especially the Hyundai are pretty nice cars if you can get over the brand making them. I'm sure if you looked you could find something from Ford and Chevy in a sedan that would be competitive also.

Hyundai Genesis - mid 30's for 333hp and mid 40's for 429hp. They seem to come with most of the electronic fun standard.

Kia Optima - under 30k, but probably more comparable to the 328 than 335 from a hp perspective.

I chose the 335i because I happen to like the luxury part, but dont sleep on the 'lesser' brands. They're pretty good bang for your buck if you're looking for performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #28
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

Quote:
Is there any reason on earth for me to order the Tech Package or Nav?

- I haven't even used a paper map since about 1993.
- I don't commute by car. My commute is from one room to another.
- When I drive, there is no traffic. None. I live in the country. I'm lucky if I see one car when I drive into the nearest town. I see lots of birds, though. The real problem is going off the road where there's no cell phone signal, getting injured, nobody coming across my wreck for 2 days, and having to eat my own feet to stay alive.
- I don't have a smartphone. I do have a cell phone in the car, for emergencies. I have never had an emergency, knock on wood. Therefore, I have never used my cell phone. I never know how to use it the two times a year I check the battery. btw, we have trouble getting a usable cell signal out where we live anyway. I do not know my cell #.
- I don't want music on a hard drive. I'm an audiophile. I prefer SACDs, CDs, and LPs. I know you can rip your CDs to a car at full CD sound quality, but . . .
- I don't listen to music when I drive. I drive when I drive. Maybe at the three hour point of a really long trip, I'll idly turn on the radio. That's it for music. So I sure don't want to stream music or screw around with the internet or whatever.
- I don't want or need extended "gauges". My E90 has a dipshit econo-gauge instead of an engine temp gauge, and I've successfully lived with only that for 2 years, so I can live without gauges.
- The F30 we test drove for two days had the HUD, and I screamed "Turn that f****** thing off!" to my wife before I started moving. Later, playing with it, it washed out when I had sunglasses on anyway. I don't get the attraction. There's a state-of-the-art (and tasteful) physical speedometer right below that f****** HUD thing, btw.

I am not a Luddite. I have a website at http://www.greggfedchak.com and I'm a co-blogger at http://www.generalunitedindustries.com I have a ku-band satellite dish to monitor European and Mideast networks. My wife works in the computer security field. I'd be happy to get Tech etc. if I had a different life.

Very seriously, is there any reason to consider any of the tech stuff that's available? Or should I just waste that money on things like the I6 and the DHP and maybe the M Sport trim?
I read this post, and then thought to myself, "Why does Ted Kazinsky need a BMW?"
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #29
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironysatire
Is there any reason on earth for me to order the Tech Package or Nav?

- I haven't even used a paper map since about 1993.
- I don't commute by car. My commute is from one room to another.
- When I drive, there is no traffic. None. I live in the country. I'm lucky if I see one car when I drive into the nearest town. I see lots of birds, though. The real problem is going off the road where there's no cell phone signal, getting injured, nobody coming across my wreck for 2 days, and having to eat my own feet to stay alive.
- I don't have a smartphone. I do have a cell phone in the car, for emergencies. I have never had an emergency, knock on wood. Therefore, I have never used my cell phone. I never know how to use it the two times a year I check the battery. btw, we have trouble getting a usable cell signal out where we live anyway. I do not know my cell #.
- I don't want music on a hard drive. I'm an audiophile. I prefer SACDs, CDs, and LPs. I know you can rip your CDs to a car at full CD sound quality, but . . .
- I don't listen to music when I drive. I drive when I drive. Maybe at the three hour point of a really long trip, I'll idly turn on the radio. That's it for music. So I sure don't want to stream music or screw around with the internet or whatever.
- I don't want or need extended "gauges". My E90 has a dipshit econo-gauge instead of an engine temp gauge, and I've successfully lived with only that for 2 years, so I can live without gauges.
- The F30 we test drove for two days had the HUD, and I screamed "Turn that f****** thing off!" to my wife before I started moving. Later, playing with it, it washed out when I had sunglasses on anyway. I don't get the attraction. There's a state-of-the-art (and tasteful) physical speedometer right below that f****** HUD thing, btw.

I am not a Luddite. I have a website at http://www.greggfedchak.com and I'm a co-blogger at http://www.generalunitedindustries.com I have a ku-band satellite dish to monitor European and Mideast networks. My wife works in the computer security field. I'd be happy to get Tech etc. if I had a different life.

Very seriously, is there any reason to consider any of the tech stuff that's available? Or should I just waste that money on things like the I6 and the DHP and maybe the M Sport trim?
I mean no disrespect, but by all accounts, including your own, you qualify as a bumpkin. And, by your own candid admission, you live in the country.

Thus, that makes you a country bumpkin.

Save your money on this fancy shmancy city slicker see-dan and go for a John Deere or a Ford x50.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your successes and my goodness---live...a little.

I absolutely insist that you purchase the tech package. Then, when the big day comes and your bimmer arrives, fill the tank, grab your uber-secure wife and take a journey---somewhere. Make it one that takes you past the county seat. Make it a journey that, heaven forbid, requires that you use that new navigation system.

I call upon all bumpkins, country and otherwise, to get out and smell the aroma of our national highway system and above all---live.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #30
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I didn't miss the HUD before getting the car but I'd sure miss it now...and yes, polarized sunglasses wash it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #31
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillbilly View Post
I didn't miss the HUD before getting the car but I'd sure miss it now...and yes, polarized sunglasses wash it out.
This x1000000.

Drove a car without one a few days ago and within seconds, I was missing my HUD. I told a friend that maybe I've turned into a car snob, but how did I live without it before. (half dramatized half dead serious) - "You want me to take my eyes off the road to see how fast I'm going/what station I'm turning to/which way the navi says to turn!? Preposterous!"
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #32
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I don't see how not having a Nav is a deal breaker in the used car market. When buying a used car, a buyer seeks out a particular, year, model, engine, color, interior, condition, transmission, etc. Having a Nav is probably like #20 down that list. Buying a used car isn't like buying a new car. You often have slim pickings and you take what you can get. If you can find any car in the year, make, model, color, and engine that you desire, it's considered a win. It's hard enough to meet those five criteria points, let alone a specific option like Nav.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #33
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

Quote:
Point taken, I missed that he wanted a sedan only. You may laugh at the following options that came off the top of my head, but these cars, especially the Hyundai are pretty nice cars if you can get over the brand making them. I'm sure if you looked you could find something from Ford and Chevy in a sedan that would be competitive also.

Hyundai Genesis - mid 30's for 333hp and mid 40's for 429hp. They seem to come with most of the electronic fun standard.

Kia Optima - under 30k, but probably more comparable to the 328 than 335 from a hp perspective.

I chose the 335i because I happen to like the luxury part, but dont sleep on the 'lesser' brands. They're pretty good bang for your buck if you're looking for performance.
Yeah, no. Chevy doesn't make anything in the ballpark. The SHO and Charger are 4,300lb boats, the Genesis is barely better at 3,800+ and the Optima is front wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #34
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:

neither of those cars drive remotely like a BMW.

a bmw with no options other than a sport suspension still drives "like a BMW".

i know people buy a BMW for different reasons and having 500 tech gadgets is one. once upon a time most peoples primary reason was it was a RWD and very balanced car, that drove nothing like a hyundai or kia. perhaps that time has passed.

I bought an F30 with nothing but m-sport and PDC. the base 2013s have plenty of features that even base they are fairly luxurious (the seats feel great, the base stereo is probably better than the premium on most normal cars, the BT / usb base integration works great, the idrive is great etc).

And it drives fantastically. a kia optima, is a nose heavy FWD car, and a hyundai genesis even r-spec is nothing like a BMW driving wise. hell 90% of the reason i got a BMW was to get that RWD 50/5o weight balanced chassis. theres not quite any other sedan like it. i guess this isn't the main reason for getting a BMW these days.

Last edited by hans007; 12-06-2012 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #35
G3333
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

in your situation, i say get an e46 m3 or something similar
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #36
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

Quote:
Exactly.

Also, I need an XDrive. Our area gets about 200 inches of lake effect snow a year. Or at least it did before global warming lol.
Did you also check out the x3. It is the same price with xdrive 3 series and sounds like it fits to the roads you described more.

If it is that kind of remote area I assume there are some dirt roads also.
      12-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #37
ironysatire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue E90 sedan

Not really interested in SUVs. There are 2 dirt roads off ours, but I'm able to avoid them most of the time. Our E90 328xi is super up here in the winter. XDrive seems vastly superior to, say, Subaru's AWD.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #38
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
neither of those cars drive remotely like a BMW.

hell 90% of the reason i got a BMW was to get that RWD 50/5o weight balanced chassis. theres not quite any other sedan like it. i guess this isn't the main reason for getting a BMW these days.
That's the reason I personally got the car, the balance of great handling, balancing, transmission, and engine combined with luxury and electronics. It just seemed like the OP didn't care about the luxury/electronic part and I didn't get a feeling that he really felt the need to push the car anywhere near it's limits to use the handling/powerplant.

(I knew I was poking the bear when I mentioned those two cars I personally didn't even look at them until I did a google search right before I made that post)
Appreciate 0