F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 320i with P052B Code and no engine trouble evident
Extreme Powerhouse

05-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
Ed H
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i

320i with P052B Code and no engine trouble evident

Hello Folks, I am both new to the forum and new to forums in general. Please forgive this newbie if I get a protocol wrong...

I have a 2015 320i throwing the P052B code...Cold Start 'A' Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1.

The engine and all systems seem fine and test drives, cold starts and general driving yield no changes. I tried removing the battery neg and draining the capacitors in the car via + to - connection for some seconds but the code stays put.

Anyone have any experience with this situation and the various possible causes like the vanos solenoids, the adjusters for them, gunk or what ever in the oil channels any idea what might throw this code with no effect on driving?

Lastly, how do you clear codes, anyway?

Many thanks to anyone who takes pity on a lost and wayward newbie who still thinks carburetors were a pretty good idea.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
It could be the VANOS/Valvetronic sensor is malfunctioning, and this might not be readily noticeable. Definitely worth taking it to the dealership, since it's most likely still under warranty. Clearing codes requires a code-reading/clearing device that connects via the OBDII connector under the driver's side of the dash near the kick panel. Check the coding/DIY section of this forum.

Carburetors were a good idea back when gas was 36 cents a gallon and we didn't care about "noxious emissions". Of course, there were those pesky necessary rebuilds, removing all the gunk, replacing the float bowl needle and seat, setting the float height, replacing the accelerator pump, all the gaskets, and setting the idle and mixture. We actually had enough time to do that sort of thing back then. Remember when we had manual chokes with a knob on the dash to set it with?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0