F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > F32 W/custom color matched parts
GetBMWParts

03-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #45
Amused
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17' F32 440i M-Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW435 View Post
Yes please !
The left side is a latch and the middle and right are push tabs.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #46
prestonf30
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

looks great
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #47
Joseph@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW 335

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #48
BMW435
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 435

Work in progress...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #49
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Before and after...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #50
Amused
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Looks nice. The front end flows much better.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #51
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amused View Post
The Bimmerang is held in by three tabs. There are two on the top and one at the bottom. These tabs are very fragile. I broke two off on one side and managed to get the other side off only breaking one. I used a dash removal tool to pry the Bimmarangs off. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...kit-69668.html
I've picked up the nylon pry bars, and my painted bimmerangs are scheduled to be delivered on Monday. Now I'm trying to figure out exactly how to use these things.

Were you able to somehow "hook" the bimmerangs and pull them out, or did you have to force the bar between the trim piece and the body and then pry/twist? If it was the latter, do these things really not scratch the body when this sort of force is applied? Frankly, I'm sceptical.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #52
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher
Quote:
The Bimmerang is held in by three tabs. There are two on the top and one at the bottom. These tabs are very fragile. I broke two off on one side and managed to get the other side off only breaking one. I used a dash removal tool to pry the Bimmarangs off. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...kit-69668.html
I've picked up the nylon pry bars, and my painted bimmerangs are scheduled to be delivered on Monday. Now I'm trying to figure out exactly how to use these things.

Were you able to somehow "hook" the bimmerangs and pull them out, or did you have to force the bar between the trim piece and the body and then pry/twist? If it was the latter, do these things really not scratch the body when this sort of force is applied? Frankly, I'm sceptical.
If you do pry against the body (likely), you mostly just have to be careful, and make sure all the surfaces are clean. I wouldn't over think it.

If you are going to get obsessive, you could tape off as much of the body as possible; maybe even try and sandwich a thin piece of cloth between the tool and body.
      03-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #53
cjack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435X, EBII, 6MT, PPK + 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo
Before and after...
Looks great. Did you get painted or order from somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #54
Amused
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
If you do pry against the body (likely), you mostly just have to be careful, and make sure all the surfaces are clean. I wouldn't over think it.

If you are going to get obsessive, you could tape off as much of the body as possible; maybe even try and sandwich a thin piece of cloth between the tool and body.
Just slide the tool between the Bimmerang and lightly pry/pop the Bimmerang out. They pop out pretty easily. When you get your new ones you will see the three contact points. Make sure the new ones come with replacement receptacles as you will most likely break at least one tab and there isn't a way to get the broken piece out of the receptacle.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #55
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

love the body color parts, especially the grill.
both MG and EB.
good job, guys!
      03-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #56
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

Looks very nice. So you ordered paint and painted the reflectors on the front? I just recently used plastidip spray and sprayed the reflectors without taking them off the bumper (used some blue tape around the edges) but it doesn't look that great and there's a bit of peeling going on. No matter it was a cheap job, just wanted to see how it came out.

Should I order the black sapphire paint from BMW themselves, take out the reflectors and paint them myself? Yours look super smooth.

Very nice job, the car looks great and the colors flow perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #57
Amused
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelondon View Post
Looks very nice. So you ordered paint and painted the reflectors on the front? I just recently used plastidip spray and sprayed the reflectors without taking them off the bumper (used some blue tape around the edges) but it doesn't look that great and there's a bit of peeling going on. No matter it was a cheap job, just wanted to see how it came out.

Should I order the black sapphire paint from BMW themselves, take out the reflectors and paint them myself? Yours look super smooth.

Very nice job, the car looks great and the colors flow perfectly.
I did front/rear reflectors, bimmerangs and outer surround of the M-Performance grill all in body color.
I would order your supplies through automotivetouchup. com. Also you are going to want to take the reflectors out to sand the raised lettering off with 200 grit sandpaper. Then follow up with 600 girt sandpaper so the primer will bond. If you are only doing your reflectors I would just order them through IND Distribution.

This is everything I used.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...t_matched.aspx
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...nt_primer.aspx
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...clearcoat.aspx
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/sto...l_trigger.aspx
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/san...selection.aspx
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/sto...p_solvent.aspx
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/sto...espirator.aspx
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #58
Amused
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Thanks to Nate at iND Distribution, I now have a pair of F34-sized Estoril Blue Bimmerangs on order!

I had inquired about the compatibility of the F32 Bimmerangs listed on their web site before I found http://www.etk.cc/. When I confirmed that the F32 and F34 used different parts, I just assumed that the pre-painted route wasn't going to be an option.

Happily, I was wrong. Nate responded to my query with an offer to do a custom pair of Estoril Blue F34-sized fender trim pieces ... for the same price as the F32 pieces that are listed on their site! I am totally blown away by this level of customer service.

Thanks also to Amused for pointing me to iND in the first place!
Did you get your parts installed? Pics?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 01:01 AM   #59
ipilcher
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Did you get your parts installed? Pics?
I was out of town last week, so I haven't had a chance to install them yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

BTW, did your bimmerangs come already attached to the white "receptacles"? Mine did, and I'm trying to figure out if I should try to separate them (seems difficult) or just shove them all in at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #60
Amused
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was out of town last week, so I haven't had a chance to install them yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

BTW, did your bimmerangs come already attached to the white "receptacles"? Mine did, and I'm trying to figure out if I should try to separate them (seems difficult) or just shove them all in at the same time.
Mine were separate. I would call IND and ask them. Looking forward to the pics.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #61
ipilcher
Captain
Rep

Talking Installed!

I got the new bimmerangs installed today, and it was much easier than I expected. There may be a difference between the F32 and F34, but I think the main difference was that I had the replacement parts available, so I knew exactly how the existing black bimmerangs were attached. With this knowledge, I was able to remove both existing pieces without damaging them at all.

I used my nylon pry bar to pull out the rearward end of the top, horizontal portion of the trim. Once that rear tab came out of its receptacle, I was able to get a good grip on the horizontal portion and simply pull the bimmerang off the car. I didn't break any of the tabs, and all 4 of the white receptacles stayed in place. (It was actually quite easy to remove the receptacles from the new pieces by prying them off with a butter knife.)

The lower portion of the bimmerangs is held in place by double-sided tape, so I cleaned the area with alcohol followed by a rinse. Then it was a simple matter of removing the backing paper from the double-sided tape and pressing the new pieces into place, making sure that I heard both of the upper tabs pop into place.

No one who doesn't know better will ever suspect that the car didn't come from the factory this way, and I think that the car looks vastly better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #62
Amused
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I got the new bimmerangs installed today, and it was much easier than I expected. There may be a difference between the F32 and F34, but I think the main difference was that I had the replacement parts available, so I knew exactly how the existing black bimmerangs were attached. With this knowledge, I was able to remove both existing pieces without damaging them at all.

I used my nylon pry bar to pull out the rearward end of the top, horizontal portion of the trim. Once that rear tab came out of its receptacle, I was able to get a good grip on the horizontal portion and simply pull the bimmerang off the car. I didn't break any of the tabs, and all 4 of the white receptacles stayed in place. (It was actually quite easy to remove the receptacles from the new pieces by prying them off with a butter knife.)

The lower portion of the bimmerangs is held in place by double-sided tape, so I cleaned the area with alcohol followed by a rinse. Then it was a simple matter of removing the backing paper from the double-sided tape and pressing the new pieces into place, making sure that I heard both of the upper tabs pop into place.

No one who doesn't know better will ever suspect that the car didn't come from the factory this way, and I think that the car looks vastly better.
That looks really nice! Looks like F34 has bigger bimmerangs and they mount a little different. Huge improvement over stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #63
BigVegas17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
Did the same thing on the EBII last week...
As others have said, the front flows much better with the body color tied out between the front bumper and the hood. The black surround on the M Performance grills just didn't completely look right to me and now I know why.

Well done. Seeing this drove me to IND to buy some grills with body color surrounds for my car. Handing them to the dealer this coming week so they can install before I take delivery of my Alpine White 435. Should have the car in about 1.5 weeks. Can't wait and will post pics once I get her so others can see the body colored surround look on a White F32.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #64
BigVegas17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVegas17 View Post
...will post pics once I get her so others can see the body colored surround look on a White F32.
Here she is:
Attached Images

'25 X5 x40i /// Oxford Green on Extended Tartufo | M Sport Professional | Executive Package | Parking Assistance Package | Climate Comfort Package
BUILD STATUS 111
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #65
Amused
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVegas17 View Post
Here she is:
The front looks way better. Are you going to do the reflectors?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #66
BigVegas17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The front looks way better. Are you going to do the reflectors?
Yes, definitely going to delete the reflectors, front and back, in the coming weeks.

'25 X5 x40i /// Oxford Green on Extended Tartufo | M Sport Professional | Executive Package | Parking Assistance Package | Climate Comfort Package
BUILD STATUS 111
Appreciate 0