F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > DIY - F30 HID Light install for non Angel Eye 3 series 2012
proTUNING Freaks

11-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #23
tiburonarce1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I will do mine tomorrow.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #24
Alexweee
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i

I had some problems with pulling the tabs out...any easy way to pull em out cause i had a really hard time trying to pull em out...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #25
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Has anyone done a halogen to projector retrofit? I see projectors available on the net but wonder how easy it would be to get them into the existing housing for the halogen lights?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #26
er1cxoh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i Msport

drilling

Is there any way to install HIDs without drilling a hole? Will this cause problems for me when I return the car since its leased?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #27
Merkdizzy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by er1cxoh View Post
Is there any way to install HIDs without drilling a hole? Will this cause problems for me when I return the car since its leased?

Thanks,
Look on page 1 about half to 3/4s down. There's some discussion regarding that info
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #28
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylus1133 View Post
Deacon, are you noticing any issues with the auto-headlight switch?

I just had a shop in Arcadia, CA install HID's for the low beams, high beams, and fog lights, as well as LEDs for the DRL and the parking lights. When I start the car with the auto-headlight turned on, I sometimes get a code that the low beam lamp is out, and the light won't turn on. I then have to turn the light on and off and on manually for it to kick on.

All the lights look great, and I'll post some pics later today. I definitely do not regret the install.
Have this exact problem. I have combed the system in coding and could not find anything that would solve this issue. I will be trying a physical delay circuit. I found one from a company called Wolsten Tech. I will let you know if it solves the problem. The circuit allows you to choose a time delay that works. I am looking for the minimum as I want the auto headlights to be effective in every day use as well. Of course if you don't have a relay set up to begin with it would be more work. My guess is .5 seconds to 1 second will be enough for them to fire up without this issue.
      06-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #29
stylus1133
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Brooklyn Grey M4 Manual

Garage List
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbovill
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylus1133 View Post
Deacon, are you noticing any issues with the auto-headlight switch?

I just had a shop in Arcadia, CA install HID's for the low beams, high beams, and fog lights, as well as LEDs for the DRL and the parking lights. When I start the car with the auto-headlight turned on, I sometimes get a code that the low beam lamp is out, and the light won't turn on. I then have to turn the light on and off and on manually for it to kick on.

All the lights look great, and I'll post some pics later today. I definitely do not regret the install.
Have this exact problem. I have combed the system in coding and could not find anything that would solve this issue. I will be trying a physical delay circuit. I found one from a company called Wolsten Tech. I will let you know if it solves the problem. The circuit allows you to choose a time delay that works. I am looking for the minimum as I want the auto headlights to be effective in every day use as well. Of course if you don't have a relay set up to begin with it would be more work. My guess is .5 seconds to 1 second will be enough for them to fire up without this issue.
Thanks!

Due to safety issues, I went in and replaced the the low and high beams back to stock. There's been a couple of times while driving at night that one of the HID lights just turned off by themselves.

I left the HID fog lights alone because those have no timing issues and always fire up whenever I switch them on.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #30
stylus1133
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Brooklyn Grey M4 Manual

Garage List
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by er1cxoh

Thanks,
As far as returning a lease with the drilled holes, it may give you problems since it's obvious that there was some mod to the low beams since it's right under the hood if they look.

I recommend that you replace the HIDs back to stock before you return the car (it's super easy to do yourself). The hardest part was wiggling the stock bulbs back into the socket. Also, you can buy the round covers from the dealer or online. They are about $15-$20 a piece online I think.

I disconnected the HID high and low beams and got them back to stock per my other response above.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #31
TheDarkKnight01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bmw 320i Jet Black

I'm just wondering with the OP used for his HId's ? It looks like 6k to me .
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:47 PM   #32
Jason954x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Just so you know what you are doing is very illegal. These headlights are not designed for HID lights and will cause excess amounts of light to shine upwards into oncoming drivers eyes. This is very serious because it can cause accidents .
FWIW - In the 2 months I have these installed. I have not had one person flash their lights at me. Of course havent been pulled over or harrased either.

But I will say this install was a major upgrade in enhanced lighting. I can now see much better at night..not just far ahead but out to the sides. Recently had to have an issue resolved in my car and was given a loaner with halogen lights..really made me appreciate my light upgrade.

BTW - I am in no way endorseing HID's..this was simply my personal choice to upgrade my lighting for my safety so that i could see better when driving at night...
Same here. I installed aftermarket HID on a previous C230 I owned, and I never had anyone flashed me, or pulled over by the police. Even after I moved to Europe I had no issues and Europeans can be extremely anal during registration inspection.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #33
Omegarex
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 xi

I know this is an old post, but the pics aren't loading. Does anyone have them saved anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #34
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Yeah would be handy to have pics showing!
Appreciate 0