F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d MPG - whats your figure ?
GetBMWParts

01-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #221
asif03
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 430d Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Mine still always goes to around 38mpg, with resetting it after every fill up, no matter if I use Tesco Diesel or Shell Vpower Nitro.
teaston , do you notice any difference between the two fuels? Either with the way the car feels (quicker/more responsive) or how the engine sounds? I know it could be a bit of a placebo effect with either but I'm interested in whether the premium fuels have any effect on how loud the engine is.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 07:08 AM   #222
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif03
Quote:
Mine still always goes to around 38mpg, with resetting it after every fill up, no matter if I use Tesco Diesel or Shell Vpower Nitro.
teaston , do you notice any difference between the two fuels? Either with the way the car feels (quicker/more responsive) or how the engine sounds? I know it could be a bit of a placebo effect with either but I'm interested in whether the premium fuels have any effect on how loud the engine is.
I really can't tell any difference tbh, always used Tesco but last few tanks have been: normal shell, BP ultimate, two tanks of Vpower & now a tank of Esso synergy+

I think they're more about keeping the engine cleaner over a long period of time really.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #223
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:
Quote:
I really can't tell any difference tbh, always used Tesco but last few tanks have been: normal shell, BP ultimate, two tanks of Vpower & now a tank of Esso synergy+

I think they're more about keeping the engine cleaner over a long period of time really.
Your tuning box can't be helping fuel economy... If it doesn't use more fuel, the extra power encourages you to...

I drive with some mind on fuel economy (easing off and anticipating) and use Eco Slow only when I can't make progress. I have got 44.4mpg over almost 20k. My E90 SE LCI 20d gave 48mpg driven the same way over 50k. A similar M Sport would have probably been a little less (tyres and aero).

Unless you use the extra power lots, I don't think there is a huge difference in mostly constant speed driving. The 30d just lets me overtake easier, and then choose my own constant speed...

However, if I get caught by every set of lights, my typically 42mpg commute can be high 30's. A night shift can be high 40's. If I have to do a day shift I get low 30's, this is mostly stop start in Eco Slow.

I mostly commute at shift times in flowing traffic. So get decent economy. Living in the arse end of nowhere, all my other drives tend to be longer and bring my average up.

Driving style and traffic conditions play a massive part. I went on shifts driving a 2004 2.4i Volvo. My economy jumped from 26mpg to 32mpg. But, my mileage doubled as I was no longer in a car school.

I will be considering a 40i next. I'd expect 30-35mpg for my usage and style.
      01-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #224
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occean View Post
Honestly she does! She has a super light foot, rarely drives and when she does it's a 20mile commute cruising around 40-45mph. Return journey not over the life of a tank.

She did the same in our old 116ed - same route mid 70's (pic below!) - I could never get near her numbers.

Sorry i should have been more specific on my comment!
No problem - I'm learning something. I can see these freak numbers from specific journeys do happen. I've not had the discipline to hover around at 40ish mph and see what's actually available! And I did need to calibrate the computer via the hidden menu as it was about 3mpg optimistic.
But on a Somerset to Durham run I can get over 50mpg if I take easy and honour the cones rules.
My routine journey is 2 x 17 miles 3 or 4 days a week. It accounts for most of the 42mpg average. The best average I've seen on fuelly for a 330D is about 45mpg.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #225
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:
Quote:

Your tuning box can't be helping fuel economy... If it doesn't use more fuel, the extra power encourages you to...

I drive with some mind on fuel economy (easing off and anticipating) and use Eco Slow only when I can't make progress. I have got 44.4mpg over almost 20k. My E90 SE LCI 20d gave 48mpg driven the same way over 50k. A similar M Sport would have probably been a little less (tyres and aero).

Unless you use the extra power lots, I don't think there is a huge difference in mostly constant speed driving. The 30d just lets me overtake easier, and then choose my own constant speed...

However, if I get caught by every set of lights, my typically 42mpg commute can be high 30's. A night shift can be high 40's. If I have to do a day shift I get low 30's, this is mostly stop start in Eco Slow.

I mostly commute at shift times in flowing traffic. So get decent economy. Living in the arse end of nowhere, all my other drives tend to be longer and bring my average up.

Driving style and traffic conditions play a massive part. I went on shifts driving a 2004 2.4i Volvo. My economy jumped from 26mpg to 32mpg. But, my mileage doubled as I was no longer in a car school.

I will be considering a 40i next. I'd expect 30-35mpg for my usage and style.
It was always at around 38mpg before I had the box as well, except for the first 5 or so thousand miles when it was more like 35mpg
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #226
FarmerD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:

I run ultimate 99% of the time. Find that it's the quietest, most refined and I think gives a couple more mpg, but that's not been properly tested - just the rough calcs I get. I think v power nitro might give a slightly more responsive throttle, but it is a bit more clattery. BP ultimate is the best all round for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 02:07 AM   #227
asif03
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 430d Coupe

Quote:

I think what you say is just about what I'm seeing with using premium petrol in my current car. It's by no means a quick petrol (1.4L ) but as much as I want to believe it makes the car a touch more responsive I think it's most likely all in my head.

I guess it must help with the internals of the engine so adding a tank of the good stuff every other fill up or so would help. That's what I do now with the petrol so probably what I'll do when the new baby comes in. Which now that I'm only 8 weeks away from having I'm super excited
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 04:30 AM   #228
zorginator
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330d Msport f30

zorg

it makes me wonder how can some people be so obsessed with MPG on 330d to the extent of constantly watching the eco line. you buy a prestige sport saloon with a most impressive performance and you trying to get the most MPG-- OMG If you really want the good MPG get 320ED or cheaper car brand and you'll save a bindle but if you've spent lots of money on the sweet 330d then enjoy it and take it eco pro because it doesn't belong there and if any of the guys are reporting more around 50 MPG ON 330D ---BORING driving- get a nissan micra.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:02 AM   #229
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorginator View Post
it makes me wonder how can some people be so obsessed with MPG on 330d to the extent of constantly watching the eco line. you buy a prestige sport saloon with a most impressive performance and you trying to get the most MPG-- OMG If you really want the good MPG get 320ED or cheaper car brand and you'll save a bindle but if you've spent lots of money on the sweet 330d then enjoy it and take it eco pro because it doesn't belong there and if any of the guys are reporting more around 50 MPG ON 330D ---BORING driving- get a nissan micra.
Don't hold back on your first post!
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2016, 06:22 AM   #230
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorginator View Post
It is amusing that someone buys the economy option- diesel - and slags off people that also buy the economy option and talk about economy.

Ironic or moronic.....I'm trying to decide.
Appreciate 5
      01-31-2016, 07:54 AM   #231
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
It is amusing that someone buys the economy option- diesel - and slags off people that also buy the economy option and talk about economy.

Ironic or moronic.....I'm trying to decide.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #232
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
It's ok I called him a cock on his other post (resurrected a 2013 mpg post and had a go at someone...).

Just a trolling oxygen thief cock.

Appreciate 1
      02-01-2016, 03:38 AM   #233
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
It's ok I called him a cock on his other post (resurrected a 2013 mpg post and had a go at someone...).

Just a trolling oxygen thief cock.

That's a bit tame for you matey, feeling ok?!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 04:05 AM   #234
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Back to the original question...

This is what the journey computer reads.

Every day average at 34mpg, mix of motorway & town with welly where required - happy with that.

Best was a cruse up the A1, in eco pro at max 65mph for 1 hour (couldn't stand it longer than that) 54mpg - (reset while cruising, just to see for fun)

Sensible / careful drive of circa 100 miles from Cambridge around & up to Norfolk mix of all roads 70 / 50 / 40 & 30 limits 49mpg

Long drive to Germany & back, 1200 miles average 39mpg Autobahn included (yes it does go fast!!)

I don't worry about the economy as I like to 'drive' the car but overall I think it's good for a 3 litre car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 05:39 AM   #235
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

My commute is 30 miles, with about 8 miles flowing A road and the rest dual carriage way and motorway.
I use ecopoo the whole way, ACC on the dual carriageway and motorway and it's set at 75mph. Most of the route is hilly so plenty of ups and downs and I have just gone over 1000 miles.
The first two tanks of diesel returned 38 mpg, measured through fill ups.
If I set cruise at 70 then I can eek out 44mpg on a run.
I was honestly expecting a little bit more than that, but hoping it will get better as its loosened up a bit.
I have fuelled with BP ultimate both times too.
I truly cannot drive any slower or smoother to get the mpg up, God knows how it's possible for anyone else? It must be the hills that knock the mpg down?
In my previous TT I could get 55mpg, yet it still didn't hang around when needed?
Does my 430 have a drink problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 05:58 AM   #236
Jim-Bow
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Is yours an xDrive Danny? If so your figures are not unreasonable - sDrive I would expect to be about 4-5 MPG higher (obviously everyone's driving style, terrain, road type is different)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 06:23 AM   #237
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep

No, it's a S drive. I was sorta expecting mid 40's if I am honest.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #238
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fireblade View Post
No, it's a S drive. I was sorta expecting mid 40's if I am honest.
How many miles has your car done?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #239
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep

Just over 1000 so pretty new and tight I am guessing, but was still expecting a little more??
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #240
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fireblade
Just over 1000 so pretty new and tight I am guessing, but was still expecting a little more??
Ah, it is still as tight as a Nuns chuff then!

I ran in a 530d recently, took it from 500 miles on the clock to 2.5k, the difference in mpg by then was huge.

And they keep improving until at least 5k or more from what I remember about mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #241
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

After around 10,000 miles mine (330d S-drive) has started to give 42-44 on mixed driving (never Eco-pro and quite a bit of sport ). At around 1-9000 miles I struggled to go much over 40. I broke mine in hard but within parameters, and superstitiously changed the oil at 6,000 miles.

Your mpg is a bit low Danny but will improve. Are your tyre pressures ok?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #242
Zippeh
Captain
Wales
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Manual 2015

I get similar MPG to you Danny with 18k on the clock but xdrive. Low 40s usually over a week.
Appreciate 0