F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Sport Suspension
GetBMWParts

05-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
mlennox
Rep
Drives: TBD

Sport Suspension

Hello,

I'm contemplating a 2012/2013 328i and deciding what options. I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea what the "sport suspension" option translates to in real-world driving. When I test-drove the car I noticed a little bit of of a "side-side rocking" after crossing railroad tracks at high speed. Would the sport suspension reduce this type of oscillation?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

My understanding is thus:

1.) Sportline comes with a sport suspension which is tighter than the regular suspension and also stiffens when you put the car in Sport or Sport + mode.

2.) There is an 'Adaptive M Suspension' which is even tighter than the sport suspension and stiffens more than the sport suspension when you put the car in Sport or Sport + mode.

If those assessments are wrong then someone please correct me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
mlennox
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post

1.) Sportline comes with a sport suspension which is tighter than the regular suspension and also stiffens when you put the car in Sport or Sport + mode.

2.) There is an 'Adaptive M Suspension' which is even tighter than the sport suspension and stiffens more than the sport suspension when you put the car in Sport or Sport + mode.

I probably should have mentioned that I'm in Canada, and I think the packaging is perhaps different in this regard.

But on the test drive, it was not a sportline model, just the regular luxury. I think the car was in "sport plus" mode though.

At any rate, the Canadian pricing structure is that you have to upgrade from luxury to sport line, and even then you have an option to add "sport suspension", which I understand from the dealer is the same suspension as the upcoming m-sport line version, but without being lower to the ground.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlennox View Post
I probably should have mentioned that I'm in Canada, and I think the packaging is perhaps different in this regard.

But on the test drive, it was not a sportline model, just the regular luxury. I think the car was in "sport plus" mode though.

At any rate, the Canadian pricing structure is that you have to upgrade from luxury to sport line, and even then you have an option to add "sport suspension", which I understand from the dealer is the same suspension as the upcoming m-sport line version, but without being lower to the ground.
Weird. In the U.S. the Luxury Line costs more than the Sport Line. Regardless, the Sport Line does come with a Sport suspension that is more stiff than the Luxury Line suspension. If you test-drove a Luxury Line it will not have the same ride/stiffness of a Sport Line.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Weird. In the U.S. the Luxury Line costs more than the Sport Line. Regardless, the Sport Line does come with a Sport suspension that is more stiff than the Luxury Line suspension. If you test-drove a Luxury Line it will not have the same ride/stiffness of a Sport Line.
Nope.. sorry man.. it doesn't

In Canada, the Sportline DOES NOT come with Sport suspension.. period... It's a $400 option...

Yes we get screwed.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
mlennox
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
Nope.. sorry man.. it doesn't

In Canada, the Sportline DOES NOT come with Sport suspension.. period... It's a $400 option...

Yes we get screwed.
So, let me get this straight. We pay more for the sport line whereas in the US it's standard... and to top it off, our SPORT line doesn't come with a sport suspension, you have to pay extra for this???

BMW Canada is really making this purchase hard to stomach... I think this might be the straw that breaks the purchase decision.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So, let me get this straight. We pay more for the sport line whereas in the US it's standard... and to top it off, our SPORT line doesn't come with a sport suspension, you have to pay extra for this???

BMW Canada is really making this purchase hard to stomach... I think this might be the straw that breaks the purchase decision.

Thanks everyone.
Yep.. and there are other little things: No headlight washers, trunk net.

I wouldn't let it break the decision... it does suck, but hey.. You're already buying a 60k car, $400 isn't going to break the bank.

I've had my 335 for a month now, and it truly is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
mlennox
Rep

Quote:
Yep.. and there are other little things: No headlight washers, trunk net.

I wouldn't let it break the decision... it does suck, but hey.. You're already buying a 60k car, $400 isn't going to break the bank.

I've had my 335 for a month now, and it truly is fantastic.
OK, thanks. I assume you added the premium and sport suspension options then?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d X-Drive

Canadian 335i sport line here. Sport suspension is $400 more and lowers the car by 10mm which believe it or not is noticeable as I've seen both in person.

Can't comment on performance as I'm still waiting for the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

The Sport suspension is stiffer than the standard on (Modern Line, Luxury Line) but it is not adjustable. It does not change when you are in Sport or Sport+ modes. The upcoming M Adaptive suspension will be the only one that can change in the different modes.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
mlennox
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
The Sport suspension is stiffer than the standard on (Modern Line, Luxury Line) but it is not adjustable. It does not change when you are in Sport or Sport+ modes. The upcoming M Adaptive suspension will be the only one that can change in the different modes.
Anybody know if M-Adaptive is available in Canada? I don't think it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Anybody know if M-Adaptive is available in Canada? I don't think it is.
You prob have to ask your CA if its available. Here in the US its not an option on the site but I told my CA I wanted it.

Sport line is not standard but it does cost more than the Base and less than a luxury.

Sport suspension does not stiffen up when switched into sport mode to get that you need Adaptive M Suspension. So you might need to order both Sport springs which is just the springs and Adaptive M which is the dampers (shocks and struts)

I have both Sport variable steering and adaptive M so when I hit that sport button the whole car changes. I also changed my springs to H&R Sports.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
mlennox
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASHID007 View Post
Canadian 335i sport line here. Sport suspension is $400 more and lowers the car by 10mm which believe it or not is noticeable as I've seen both in person.

Can't comment on performance as I'm still waiting for the car.
I wonder if 10mm is enough to make it a snow plough in the winter...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

I do not have sport suspension on my sportline as it wasn't available yet when I ordered. I plan on installing the M-performance suspension when it's out shortly.

Although, I'm kinda liking the stock suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
mlennox
Rep

Quote:
I plan on installing the M-performance suspension when it's out shortly.
What does that involve in terms of price?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
What does that involve in terms of price?
My guess for parts only would be around $1,700. Here is a link to the one for the e92.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...=846&perf=true
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
rwrwrwrw
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2016 M235i  [0.00]
I have a Sport Line in Canada and added the Sport option $400. I was coming from a very tight setup (Dinan Stage 1), so I thought the regular Sport Line was a little too soft and some body lean. The luxury is pure crap so you really should drive a sport line and it does add a little more stiffness, a little lower....10mm. I think it is a great ride.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
I wonder if 10mm is enough to make it a snow plough in the winter...
It doesn't look snow plow at all. The sport suspension lowers the car nicely, yet there is plenty of space for driving in snow, well, snow within reason that is.
It's no worse than previous 3's with sport.

The ride and handling difference is worth it, if you like a firmer ride and firmer tighter handling.
The standard sport suspension could have been even firmer imo. Compared to my old E46 325i sport, the F30 sport feels a tad softer.

I would like to know if the optional adaptive suspension is firmer in sportiest mode compared to the standard sport suspension.

I've read reviews of 3's with the adaptive suspension and nearly all of them said that the only setting worthy for sport driving is the highest, "sport" I believe. "sport +" is no firmer, it just engages DTC.
If the adaptive is firmer than the stand sport, then I may opt for it.
But, for 2013 it comes with the variable ratio steering, and I don't know if I'd like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #19
cc_bavarian
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2007+ E90 330i

Garage List
2007 E90 330i  [0.00]
For spirited drivers like myself who likes a nice drop and stiffer suspension (currently running coilovers, H&R sway bars and strut bar on an e90), I would consider the coming Performance Suspension + Adaptive M Suspension since the previous Performance Suspension for e90 drops by around 1.3" front and 1.5" rear. The F30 Sport Suspension only lowers by 10mm vs stock.

I think I'm going to stick with as much BMW suspension parts as possible this time instead of aftermarket parts due to the tech involved and user control via idrive. But part of me tells me to wait until next year for aftermarket parts to show up. Though BMW Performance parts seem to be a good option and not overly expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Dlff
Registered
Rep
Drives: f30 / 328i

The M Sport version will have EDC / Electonic Damper Control. I guess we are referring to the same item which is the Adaptive M suspension. With this you have a choice of set-up as to how hard or should I use the word "sporty" you want the car to be.
I'm just as baffle as to whether the 328i Sport Line has sport suspension fitted as std item. No doubt it has Sport+ mode to choose from & all it does is: literally increases dynamic ability, accelerator response acquire an even sportier edge & steering becomes more direct. The ride on 18" is very comfortable I would say.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #21
cjs033
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sport Line

Same car bro!! Pick mine up Thursday and yes the Sport Suspension in Canada is a $400 dollar option...beautiful ride though especially in Sport + mode...

2012 BMW 335i Sedan Sport Line, Mineral Grey Metallic, 35% tint, premium package, sport suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

The lux and modern start at a higher base price as they include the prem pkg along with leather seats.
I equipped a sport and lux with the dynamic handling pkg and the sport ends up costing $300 more.

It's odd because at this point the only difference are the addition of sport seats in the sport line. I can't imagine BMW only charging $300 for sport seats if they offered them in the lux and modern lines.

In Canada, can you option the sport seats in a lux and/or modern?
If so, how much more is it?
Appreciate 0