F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What is your next car?
ARMA SPEED

05-31-2018, 08:25 AM   #177
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
Downsize! In 2016 I changed from my 330d xDrive Touring to an M235i Convertible:

And the only downside is that I occasionally have to get stuff delivered that I might have picked up in person, but this only a couple of times a year. Really, I haven't missed the bigger car. At work they've stopped asking me to be the taxi/chauffeur when they take clients out, and the kids don't use me as a moving service any more: which is fine by me.

We got three suitcases, two boxes of supplies, a picnic refrigerator, hiking equipment, boots and miscellaneous other stuff in the car, with the roof down, on our last Alpine touring holiday.

And a lot more fun than the 3 Series ….

Last edited by msej449; 05-31-2018 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18708.00
      05-31-2018, 09:29 AM   #178
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I don't know what my next car will be, but I'm not sure I'll go with bmw again. This isn't meant to be an indictment of modern bmws, I generally enjoy my car. But....

1. If I decide to get another 3/4 series, it's got to have an I6. Don't infer from this that the 4 cylinder engines are inadequate though. I've driven a 4 cylinder bmw, and it was punchy and fairly refined. It's a great motor. It's just that to me a bmw 3er has an I6, and that's final and non-negotiable as it stands now. If I had to get the 4, I'd just get an accord, Camry or similar car. A car like a bmw is a luxury, not a necessity, so to compromise beyond a certain point doesn't make sense.

2. Considering the first point above, that puts the cost of a new 340/m340 at about 60k optioned how I want it. This is assuming the price remains similar over the next couple of years when the g20 is available. Sorry but, as much as I enjoy my f36, it's not worth 60k. It would bother me to pay that for a 3/4.

3. I'm not 100% certain I want to lease. I think bmw lease terms seem fair as there are now, but I abhor limits on miles and restrictions of that nature. I understand why they're in place, but I don't think that's for me. I'm still split on this though. Leasing is still an option that I'll consider for a 3/4/5/6 series.

4. How about cpo? This seems like a reasonable way to obtain a nice, gently used car and stay well within the transport budget. Problem is bmw now only offers one additional year of cpo coverage, and it doesn't even include on board electronics. If you want to extend it, and can cover more, you have to pay a premium. Also, there's a high risk that the cpo you're buying was previously abused by someone who had it on a lease. I'm not unreasonable, I understand that people should be able to enjoy the car that they leased, but if you want to install some cheap, unauthorized tune, track the car, skimp on maintenance, and otherwise be an irresponsible shithead, ante up and buy it, and be upfront about what you're doing. Why should anyone else have to pay for your carelessness, or unknowingly buy a car that can be a time bomb, that's at worst, dangerous to drive. And yes, it is different from someone who owns the car, because someone who owns it will tend to be more careful. They also tend to hang on to the car for longer, making it less likely to pass for a gently used cpo.

It's also in the dealers' best interest to do a quick inspection and rubber stamp low mile cars "cpo", so they can attract those thinking it's a reliable used car with extended warranty coverage. I think some dealerships just perform the inspection on lease return, and consider that to also be the cpo inspection. In other words, the notion that cpo cars have undergone some special comprehensive inspection is probably bullshit in some cases. I'm not saying every leasee abuses or neglects their cars, or that all dealers simply rubber stamp cpos, but it doesn't seem that it would be uncommon either. It's enough to put me off on cpo bmws for now anyway.

Where does that leave me? Not sure at this point. Maybe buy something new that offers a better value proposition. That doesn't necessarily mean cheaper than a 3 series, it just means I feel like I'm getting closer to what I paid for. If I pay luxury sports coupe/sedan prices I want something special, not just a car with a nice badge that's equipped with tech that's no better than I'd find in most modern cars.

Hmm, Kia stinger anybody?

Used Chevy ss? Sure it's another used performance sedan that might have been driven hard, but they're naturally aspirated and you can't extract serious increases in power without bolt ons or a blower. There aren't many, or any real plug and play tunes available. The ls3 is also a fairly simple, robust engine that can handle some abuse and not be much worse for the wear. BMW motors, on the other hand, while advanced, also seem to be somewhat more fragile. The ss sedan also wasnt leased, and being a low production, niche car, owners tend to take better care of them.

New m3/4. The car I really want and should have just anted up for to begin with.

Merc, Audi, etc...... nice cars and all, but meh.

Or, just reduce car expenses, and go with a nice, respectable, highly functional and reliable accord or Camry. The real beauty here is that you can usually just do planned maintenance on these cars and not have too many unplanned trips to the dealer or garage for repairs. It's not even the cost, but unplanned issues are a pita that most people don't have the time for, unless you have the option to diy.
I was with you all the way until you said Camry. Those things are hideous.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      05-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #179
metallicpea
Major
Rep

My next car will be a 911 993. Even if that requires 10 more years of me driving my F30 as my daily.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #180
EggoEspada
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i '18

It’s going to be a toss up between a M2 or the newer Supra. I still have 3-4 years to decide
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #181
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Will most likely be a Porsche Macan S but who knows what life will bring so I always keep my mind completely open as to what's next!

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #182
benoitch2
Formerly KA benoitch ;)
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 335 xDrive MPkg Prem

I'm at my 3rd BMW even though I never thought I coud get another one after the 2nd one. But I did. Really hard to get something else. But I admit I was tempted by Tesla. The new model 3 seems pretty nice. A bit too young and... well, not really available. So to be honest, I might consider it even more so when changing my F30. Which is part of the reason why I did not mind going for an auto tranny this time. Prepare myself to drive a car without any kind of gear shifts The shock would be too great I think hahahaha !

But I do believe electric cars are here to stay and are going to get better and better and much more widespread. So possibly the next one will be electrical. Hopefully, I'll get a similar smile on my face when driving that I get with all my Bimmer thus far
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 07:54 PM   #183
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
Quote:
I don't know what my next car will be, but I'm not sure I'll go with bmw again. This isn't meant to be an indictment of modern bmws, I generally enjoy my car. But....

1. If I decide to get another 3/4 series, it's got to have an I6. Don't infer from this that the 4 cylinder engines are inadequate though. I've driven a 4 cylinder bmw, and it was punchy and fairly refined. It's a great motor. It's just that to me a bmw 3er has an I6, and that's final and non-negotiable as it stands now. If I had to get the 4, I'd just get an accord, Camry or similar car. A car like a bmw is a luxury, not a necessity, so to compromise beyond a certain point doesn't make sense.

2. Considering the first point above, that puts the cost of a new 340/m340 at about 60k optioned how I want it. This is assuming the price remains similar over the next couple of years when the g20 is available. Sorry but, as much as I enjoy my f36, it's not worth 60k. It would bother me to pay that for a 3/4.

3. I'm not 100% certain I want to lease. I think bmw lease terms seem fair as there are now, but I abhor limits on miles and restrictions of that nature. I understand why they're in place, but I don't think that's for me. I'm still split on this though. Leasing is still an option that I'll consider for a 3/4/5/6 series.

4. How about cpo? This seems like a reasonable way to obtain a nice, gently used car and stay well within the transport budget. Problem is bmw now only offers one additional year of cpo coverage, and it doesn't even include on board electronics. If you want to extend it, and can cover more, you have to pay a premium. Also, there's a high risk that the cpo you're buying was previously abused by someone who had it on a lease. I'm not unreasonable, I understand that people should be able to enjoy the car that they leased, but if you want to install some cheap, unauthorized tune, track the car, skimp on maintenance, and otherwise be an irresponsible shithead, ante up and buy it, and be upfront about what you're doing. Why should anyone else have to pay for your carelessness, or unknowingly buy a car that can be a time bomb, that's at worst, dangerous to drive. And yes, it is different from someone who owns the car, because someone who owns it will tend to be more careful. They also tend to hang on to the car for longer, making it less likely to pass for a gently used cpo.

It's also in the dealers' best interest to do a quick inspection and rubber stamp low mile cars "cpo", so they can attract those thinking it's a reliable used car with extended warranty coverage. I think some dealerships just perform the inspection on lease return, and consider that to also be the cpo inspection. In other words, the notion that cpo cars have undergone some special comprehensive inspection is probably bullshit in some cases. I'm not saying every leasee abuses or neglects their cars, or that all dealers simply rubber stamp cpos, but it doesn't seem that it would be uncommon either. It's enough to put me off on cpo bmws for now anyway.

Where does that leave me? Not sure at this point. Maybe buy something new that offers a better value proposition. That doesn't necessarily mean cheaper than a 3 series, it just means I feel like I'm getting closer to what I paid for. If I pay luxury sports coupe/sedan prices I want something special, not just a car with a nice badge that's equipped with tech that's no better than I'd find in most modern cars.

Hmm, Kia stinger anybody?

Used Chevy ss? Sure it's another used performance sedan that might have been driven hard, but they're naturally aspirated and you can't extract serious increases in power without bolt ons or a blower. There aren't many, or any real plug and play tunes available. The ls3 is also a fairly simple, robust engine that can handle some abuse and not be much worse for the wear. BMW motors, on the other hand, while advanced, also seem to be somewhat more fragile. The ss sedan also wasnt leased, and being a low production, niche car, owners tend to take better care of them.

New m3/4. The car I really want and should have just anted up for to begin with.

Merc, Audi, etc...... nice cars and all, but meh.

Or, just reduce car expenses, and go with a nice, respectable, highly functional and reliable accord or Camry. The real beauty here is that you can usually just do planned maintenance on these cars and not have too many unplanned trips to the dealer or garage for repairs. It's not even the cost, but unplanned issues are a pita that most people don't have the time for, unless you have the option to diy.
I was with you all the way until you said Camry. Those things are hideous.
I wouldn't go with a Camry. Everyone should know by now that my affections lie with the Prius.
No, a Toyota Camry makes perfect sense for most drivers who want a reliable, efficient means of getting from one location to the next. For anyone remotely interested in nice cars, though, it's going to be a hard pill to swallow. If you've been driving a nice, sporty car for sometime, it's difficult to go backwards. It can be done of course but it'll feel like a swift kick to the gonads every time you start it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:34 PM   #184
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDaddy View Post
Chevy, Ford, Toy are pretty reliable high mileage. The domestics are ubiquitous with tons of parts - rebuilt engines are cheap, and every fix is on you tube. Toys run a long time, but I fuggin hate toy repair departments ('what did YOU do to it?') I find Chevy most comfortable for me (my brother likes ford, but thats OK). Oil changes and tires is all I deal with. My latest - Avalanche - is a swiss army knife, and I will never trade it in; it rides better than the suburban its based on, but has the covered 5' to 8' convertible bed for hauling yard shit or an 8' slate pool table in the dry. It also fits in my garage. Bigger motor is better in trucks (6.2>5.3>4.8 in chevy), as are basic suspensions you can modify to your liking. Had her in the garage the last few months, and broke her out last week - now kids keep asking to take it instead - LOVE MY TRUCK...
Attachment 1833543
I always wanted an Avalanche, just like the way they look
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:13 PM   #185
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
I put on maybe 1200miles a year... 2000 Ferrari 360 Modena is looking tempting...runs flat 12's in the 1/4... fast enough?... We'll see in 3-4yrs how I feel...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:45 PM   #186
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDaddy View Post
Chevy, Ford, Toy are pretty reliable high mileage. The domestics are ubiquitous with tons of parts - rebuilt engines are cheap, and every fix is on you tube. Toys run a long time, but I fuggin hate toy repair departments ('what did YOU do to it?') I find Chevy most comfortable for me (my brother likes ford, but thats OK). Oil changes and tires is all I deal with. My latest - Avalanche - is a swiss army knife, and I will never trade it in; it rides better than the suburban its based on, but has the covered 5' to 8' convertible bed for hauling yard shit or an 8' slate pool table in the dry. It also fits in my garage. Bigger motor is better in trucks (6.2>5.3>4.8 in chevy), as are basic suspensions you can modify to your liking. Had her in the garage the last few months, and broke her out last week - now kids keep asking to take it instead - LOVE MY TRUCK...
Attachment 1833543
I always wanted an Avalanche, just like the way they look
Meet the love child of the Chevy Suburban and Pontiac Aztec.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 05:34 AM   #187
metallicpea
Major
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't go with a Camry. Everyone should know by now that my affections lie with the Prius.
No, a Toyota Camry makes perfect sense for most drivers who want a reliable, efficient means of getting from one location to the next. For anyone remotely interested in nice cars, though, it's going to be a hard pill to swallow. If you've been driving a nice, sporty car for sometime, it's difficult to go backwards. It can be done of course but it'll feel like a swift kick to the gonads every time you start it up.
Well, I understand and appreciate the reliability of Toyota, but I'd have to walk to that car with a blindfold on. I know they are popular, so some people like the look of the Toyota and Lexus design language, but to me it it so ugly it makes me wince. And this is separate from the driving experience.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      06-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #188
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
I put on maybe 1200miles a year... 2000 Ferrari 360 Modena is looking tempting...runs flat 12's in the 1/4... fast enough?... We'll see in 3-4yrs how I feel...
My buddy had a 360 for awhile. Are you ready for astronomical maintenance that you CAN'T do yourself? He got rid of it and got a new Lambo... a warranty is worth the $$.

On the plus side, the 360 is not really depreciating anymore. If you don't drive it, it could retain or go up in value. The downside is that my warrantied F80 can pretty much beat or compete with a stock 360 for a little less than the price of a good 360. Of course, the F80 will not be retaining it's value like a 360, but then again... I'd want to drive the wheels off that 360 and the value will sink just as well.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #189
Dirty Jacket
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Depending on when I give my current 2014 335i, intrigued by the M5. If I can wait a bit longer (when I don't have 2 car seats in the back), then no question jumping to Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #190
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F34

2018 audi tt rs
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #191
JG_Coupe88
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E36 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3   [0.00]
I've had my 6mt M sport 428i for almost a year and I'm in love with it still, even more so after some mods and autox/track days. But in 2-3 years my plan is M2, or M240i realistically. In a manual of course. Will also be waiting to see what the future holds for G series M3/M4. I prefer coupes, don't need a four door and don't expect that to change in the near future.

Something else that comes to mind is just keeping the 4 a while and getting an E46 M3 as a second car for more fun, and autox/track days. But I just don't have the time or space for 2 cars. Having one in my garage and one on the street would give me nightmares.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #192
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Coupe88 View Post
I've had my 6mt M sport 428i for almost a year and I'm in love with it still, even more so after some mods and autox/track days. But in 2-3 years my plan is M2, or M240i realistically. In a manual of course. Will also be waiting to see what the future holds for G series M3/M4. I prefer coupes, don't need a four door and don't expect that to change in the near future.

Something else that comes to mind is just keeping the 4 a while and getting an E46 M3 as a second car for more fun, and autox/track days. But I just don't have the time or space for 2 cars. Having one in my garage and one on the street would give me nightmares.
I wonder how used or cpo m2 (pre-competition model) will look after the comp model hits dealerships. It might become a relative bargain. Imo, the n55 is perfectly fine for the m2. I'm sure the extra hp that the s55 offers in the m2 comp is great, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Part of what I like about the m2, in concept anyway, is its simplicity.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #193
JG_Coupe88
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3   [0.00]
Quote:
I wonder how used or cpo m2 (pre-competition model) will look after the comp model hits dealerships. It might become a relative bargain. Imo, the n55 is perfectly fine for the m2. I'm sure the extra hp that the s55 offers in the m2 comp is great, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Part of what I like about the m2, in concept anyway, is its simplicity.
That's exactly the same way I'm looking at it bro. I just want my first M car. And in a couple years I'd be perfectly fine with a regular M2, M240i would be just fine as well. Never driven either and I know It would be loads of fun as my next daily.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #194
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Coupe88 View Post
I just want my first M car. And in a couple years I'd be perfectly fine with a regular M2, M240i would be just fine as well. Never driven either and I know It would be loads of fun as my next daily.
An M240i is loads of fun, but it isn’t an M car.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #195
JG_Coupe88
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
An M240i is loads of fun, but it isn’t an M car.
I know, such a great car. Wouldn't be mad "settling" with that if M2 is not in my situation at that future moment whatsoever. I don't have kids and I don't need a saloon, I'm a coupe guy primarily. My last sedan was my 03 srt-4 (which I loved).
Appreciate 0