F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Canadian F30 - Transmission Difference 328 vs 335
Studio RSR

04-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

Canadian F30 - Transmission Difference 328 vs 335

Other than the 335 having paddle shifters, is there ANY other difference between in the 8 speed auto tranny between the 328/335? Like shifting speed etc
      04-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
shifting speed

btw the paddle shifters is the sport auto, 328i has them too.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Kronk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post

Not in Canada. Sport auto is available only on the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
wynden
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Sport Line sedan

Quote:

Not in Canada, or so it appears. For some reason known only to the morons at BMW Canada the sport auto transmission is only available on the 335i in Canada. The 328i only gets the standard auto trans, even for Sport Line.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynden
Quote:

Not in Canada, or so it appears. For some reason known only to the morons at BMW Canada the sport auto transmission is only available on the 335i in Canada. The 328i only gets the standard auto trans, even for Sport Line.
So what exactly is the diff between sport auto 8 spd on 335 and just the 8 spd on the 328 ?
      04-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynden View Post
is it even an option? the sport line here gets a standard tranny too. you have to get the sport tranny extra.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Kronk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
is it even an option? the sport line here gets a standard tranny too. you have to get the sport tranny extra.
Nope. Not available as an option for the 328i in Canada.

To the OP, the sport auto has a different shifter (sportier looking, shorter, leather boot) and has quicker shift times.

I ordered it with my 328i, partly because of the paddles, and party because I love how it looks.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

So far as I am aware, the transmission itself is the same in both cars. BMW uses ZF Friedrichshafen's 8HP automatic transmission in the F30 (http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...nsmission.html).

However, as others have said, the Sports Auto comes with a different looking shifter and shift paddles behind the wheels.

What I cannot find (other than in BMW's spurious marketing literature ) is any evidence that the shifts are faster with the sport auto. Personally, as the underlying hardware is the same, I think it is unlikely.

I imagine the the shift patterns might be different as these are controlled by the gearbox's software. However, as both gearboxes have a Sport mode which shifts more aggressively (e.g. shifts up at higher revs etc) I would have thought the shift times & patterns were the same in both in this mode.

Hopefully someone can confirm if there are any differences but for now I think it's just the lever and the paddles.

There are a few threads on this topic which you may find useful. This one is quite recent and includes some pics of the two different shift levers (sport & standard): http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674338

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
So far as I am aware, the transmission itself is the same in both cars. BMW uses ZF Friedrichshafen's 8HP automatic transmission in the F30 (http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...nsmission.html).

However, as others have said, the Sports Auto comes with a different looking shifter and shift paddles behind the wheels.

What I cannot find (other than in BMW's spurious marketing literature ) is any evidence that the shifts are faster with the sport auto. Personally, as the underlying hardware is the same, I think it is unlikely.

I imagine the the shift patterns might be different as these are controlled by the gearbox's software. However, as both gearboxes have a Sport mode which shifts more aggressively (e.g. shifts up at higher revs etc) I would have thought the shift times & patterns were the same in both in this mode.

Hopefully someone can confirm if there are any differences but for now I think it's just the lever and the paddles.

There are a few threads on this topic which you may find useful. This one is quite recent and includes some pics of the two different shift levers (sport & standard): http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674338

Hope that helps!
Thats exactly my thinking, same hardware, same mode options therefore shiuld be the same shift speed etc.

But id like to know for sure!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The only difference between the 328i and 335i Auto Transmissions are the torque converters to suit the different engines.
You should not feel any difference.

The Sport Auto boxed are exactly the same as the "standard" Auto box in each car. Software is different, paddles are added to the steering wheel and a different gear selector knob is added
      04-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
wynden
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Sport Line sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
The Sport Auto boxed are exactly the same as the "standard" Auto box in each car. Software is different, paddles are added to the steering wheel and a different gear selector knob is added
How does the different software affect the behaviour of the transmission? I understand how DDC can affect the shift points for Eco vs. Comfort vs. Sport modes. However are there other performance differences between the "standard auto" vs. the Sport auto that most drivers would notice?

Most reviews and performance specs seem to be based on loaded models with Sport Auto, etc. It would be nice to see if/how these reviews also apply to models without the "sport" options (Variable Sport Steering, Sport Auto trans, Sport Suspension,...)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How does the different software affect the behaviour of the transmission? I understand how DDC can affect the shift points for Eco vs. Comfort vs. Sport modes. However are there other performance differences between the "standard auto" vs. the Sport auto that most drivers would notice?

Most reviews and performance specs seem to be based on loaded models with Sport Auto, etc. It would be nice to see if/how these reviews also apply to models without the "sport" options (Variable Sport Steering, Sport Auto trans, Sport Suspension,...)
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

The performance numbers for the 2 should be just about exactly the same.

With the sport you get things like being able to go into full manual mode where the transmission will not shift up or down without you making it, whereas the standard one will always shift when you reach readline or get the rpm too low for the gear