F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Parking Assistant - FAIL
proTUNING Freaks

11-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
KeenDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

It won't be till thurs or fri until I can get the pictures up. I one to believe that you paid your money and what happens happens as long as it isn't gross negligence. This isn't that case. Sure it was my fault (partly). I was slow at firmly pressing the brake but the damage is more on the side vs the back showing that it turned in but not nearly enough. Now it's just more so whether I go through insurance or out of pocket. It sucks but at least it's really just paint
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #24
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeenDriver View Post
It won't be till thurs or fri until I can get the pictures up. I one to believe that you paid your money and what happens happens as long as it isn't gross negligence. This isn't that case. Sure it was my fault (partly). I was slow at firmly pressing the brake but the damage is more on the side vs the back showing that it turned in but not nearly enough. Now it's just more so whether I go through insurance or out of pocket. It sucks but at least it's really just paint

I'm not sure if this will display properly, but I tried to create a little diagram below. Please let me know if it's accurate. I'm assuming you tried to park in the "Open Parking Space" section.

Did you:

a) Crash into the fence that runs parallel to the curb because the car failed to straighten sufficiently quickly?
b) Crash into an obstacle at the very back of the parking space (indicated as "XXXX" below)?

Assuming the answer is "a:" I believe you mentioned the curb is unusually narrow (just 6" wide?) at this location. Was the car turning enough such that the wheel was not going to hit / scrape the curb, but the curb being so narrow at this location the rear bumper hung out over it and impacted the fence before you could stop?

========================== [FENCE]
--------------------------------------------- [CURB]
[Parked CAR] [Open Parking Space] XXXX [OBSTACLE]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [White line separating road]
[STREET]
[STREET]
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #25
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
So, it's just a carnival? "You pays your money, you takes your chances."? Hardly. Somewhere, somehow, this new car technology will be challenged in court for not doing what it was advertised to do, "lawyer screen" or not.
I feel for the guy because his car got damaged, but you have to be aware if the system isn't working. I realize people think it should work 100% of the time, you can't completely depend on it. It's suppose to assist the driver. It's a convenience.

Now if your steering wheel falls off your car when parallel parking, that is another matter. That, supposedly, is guaranteed not to happen. You'd have recourse then.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
vchiu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus

I had this on my options list until I read the manual and then removed it. I like the top view option.

"The parking assistant may steer the vehi‐ cle over or onto curbs.
Therefore, always be alert and ready to inter‐ vene; otherwise, the wheels, tires, or the vehicle may become damaged."
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Judgement day....maybe the system became self aware?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #28
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
So, it's just a carnival? "You pays your money, you takes your chances."? Hardly. Somewhere, somehow, this new car technology will be challenged in court for not doing what it was advertised to do, "lawyer screen" or not.

It'll only be challenged by people I would describe as "challenged" and can't take responsibility for their own actions. Driver error everyday of the week.

Condolences for the ding, OP, I can relate to it. Your car will look like new when it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #29
raceing86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport Melb. Red

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Why is it a great concern? How many people here besides the OP even have this option?

I do, and I use it every chance I get. Its worked perfectly every single time. Like MaestroAl said, YOU control the brakes. If he had of been paying attention to what his car was doing, he could have easily stopped this from happening.
Sport Line, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Sport Auto Trans, Active Cruise Control, Heated Front Seats, Auto High Beams, Parking Assistant, Harmon Kardon
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #30
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post

========================== [FENCE]
--------------------------------------------- [CURB]
[Parked CAR] [Open Parking Space] XXXX [OBSTACLE]