F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > My N20 died at 72k miles
ARMA SPEED

03-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #89
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by j13reyes View Post
Any updates?
+1....$14K is nuts. I would accept paying a few thousand dollars at around 100K miles but this is completely unacceptable even for a "luxury" car.

A while back the transmission on my Toyota died and needed replacement. I was outside of warranty by about 10K miles. Toyota took care of me and replaced the transmission (with a used one). I hope BMW does the same.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #90
Kronk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
OP and Kronk... where was your car made? Germany or South Africa? I am curious to know when people do have major problems like these, if there is any pattern as to where the car was built. That would be helpful to know.
We did a European Delivery. Car was assembled in Munich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
Call BMW NA and FIGHT!! Tell them you will make a big fuss that a simple item like an oil pump failed at such low mileage.
BMW NA/BMW USA refused to budge. Most I could get was 25% off of parts and that was the $14k quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j13reyes View Post
Any updates?
Decided to have the dealership source a used engine and install that at a cost of $9k.

The whole experience has really ruined the BMW brand for me. I'm in the market for a new car at the moment and this pretty much guarantees it won't be a BMW. I really like the new Audi A7 anyways...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #91
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

I'd take it to the BBB and any state or national authority for review. I'd also consider class action. BMW lost on ripped subframes for the E46 and fuel pumps on the 335i. Both got extended warranties for up to 12 years. A class action could extend powertrain warranties to 100,000 miles for the n20.

At a mininum BMW would be forced to explain their inconsistent policy on goodwill warranty work
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #92
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
I'd take it to the BBB and any state or national authority for review. I'd also consider class action. BMW lost on ripped subframes for the E46 and fuel pumps on the 335i. Both got extended warranties for up to 12 years. A class action could extend powertrain warranties to 100,000 miles for the n20.

At a mininum BMW would be forced to explain their inconsistent policy on goodwill warranty work
In order for it to be a class action you need more people. This situation sucks to high heaven though. I have friends at both BMW dealerships that are techs and asked them and they have never had to replace the oil pumps on the N20 so I would not think this is a common problem. BMW should do the right thing here and take care of it being that their oil pump failed that caused the engine to fail. It would be different if you caused the neglect but since all your maintenance is up to date how can you avoid a faulty oil pump? Sorry man this sucks. Definitely do what Menncars said and report it to the BBB and file the complaint.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 10:56 PM   #93
Kronk
Private First Class
Rep

If anyone has a good contact name/address/email for someone at BMW USA/BMW NA, please PM me. I've tried calling the 800 number and that has gotten me nowhere. My Service Manager won't give me the contact info for the person he has been contacting.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:01 AM   #94
j13reyes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk
If anyone has a good contact name/address/email for someone at BMW USA/BMW NA, please PM me. I've tried calling the 800 number and that has gotten me nowhere. My Service Manager won't give me the contact info for the person he has been contacting.
I would fight this till the very end. You have no right to pay for anything, it's Their oil pump that failed.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 10:14 PM   #95
parabola
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 VW GTI

Looking at this strictly statistically any given part in the car can fail, there is nothing you can do about it. I used to work in reliability field for a major locomotive supplier, and we analyzed huge amounts of data to improve reliability record. There were isolated cases where turbochargers were failing on a 6000+ hp diesel engines, and there were consisted cases where blower motor was failing across the board.
So there was a campaign to replace blower motor for example on each unit but replace turbo only if it failed....so long story short, your problem seem to be an "isolated"case, i.e. how many cases like yours are there and how many N20 engines were built? Probably rather small percentage of engines with that kind of failure.
Regardless, BMW should inspect your engine and examine engine data logs and if no abuse is found, replace your engine with a new one at no cost to you. That's what you would expect from a reputable company. Good luck, I'd fight this further, if anything with bad PR...
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2015, 12:31 AM   #96
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
In order for it to be a class action you need more people.
With a class action anyone with the same problem is automatically enjoined to the class but you're right. More people would be needed. I wonder how hard it would be to find others? From a brief survey of sites around the web it seems that while the problem isn't common it's not totally isolated either.
Appreciate 2
M2_MEDUSA664.00
      03-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #97
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars
Quote:
In order for it to be a class action you need more people.
With a class action anyone with the same problem is automatically enjoined to the class but you're right. More people would be needed. I wonder how hard it would be to find others? From a brief survey of sites around the web it seems that while the problem isn't common it's not totally isolated either.
Well it's more than the same problem, also location etc is a factor to get class certification and jurisdiction.

However, I think it could absolutely possible. Hopefully this isn't too widespread on the N20s. Hope it all works out for you OP
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #98
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
....so long story short, your problem seem to be an "isolated"case, i.e. how many cases like yours are there and how many N20 engines were built? Probably rather small percentage of engines with that kind of failure.
Regardless, BMW should inspect your engine and examine engine data logs and if no abuse is found, replace your engine with a new one at no cost to you. That's what you would expect from a reputable company. Good luck, I'd fight this further, if anything with bad PR...
I would agree. The issue is what constitutes abuse? Running the car to redline from time to time certainly wouldn't be abuse in my book, so how is it defined?

This one thread has me really questioning whether or not BMW is the way to go for my next car...not because of the issue, it really seems like an isolated incident but because of the very poor manner in which they're handling the situation.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2015, 11:22 PM   #99
parabola
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
Quote:
....so long story short, your problem seem to be an "isolated"case, i.e. how many cases like yours are there and how many N20 engines were built? Probably rather small percentage of engines with that kind of failure.
I would agree. The issue is what constitutes abuse? Running the car to redline from time to time certainly wouldn't be abuse in my book, so how is it defined?

This one thread has me really questioning whether or not BMW is the way to go for my next car...not because of the issue, it really seems like an isolated incident but because of the very poor manner in which they're handling the situation.
I would say "abuse" is one of those grey areas where you can argue on both sides. Pretty much all engines are limited to some rpm number and operating in that region should not be an issue, right? Then again if you operate there constantly you might be "abusing" it...Regardless, I would think BMW would stand behind their product and cover these catastrophic failures. Asking owner to pay $20k for engine replacement because original died at 70k? I'd set it on fire and make a documentary out of it.
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #100
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
Quote:

With modern BMWs I think it makes sense to get extended warranty and not own the car outside of warranty. Too many electronics and new technology.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:12 AM   #101
Kronk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post

Bingo. I was so thrilled when I bought this car and the european delivery experience was incredible. I thought I'd be a "BMW lifer." I was planning on buying a 5 series or X5 in the next few months.

This entire experience has turned me off BMWs completely. The product is partly to blame, but mostly it's because of the way the company has handled this entire situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #102
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
This entire experience has turned me off BMWs completely. The product is partly to blame, but mostly it's because of the way the company has handled this entire situation.

Totally agree with you. No engine should fail like this. Its such an obvious outside the envelope problem that its unconscionable that BMW is leaving you out to dry like this from a Customer Service perspective.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #103
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
Totally agree with you. No engine should fail like this. Its such an obvious outside the envelope problem that its unconscionable that BMW is leaving you out to dry like this from a Customer Service perspective.
If I wind up not buying a BMW you can thank this thread for a lot of that. Might even send it to BMW and tell them this cost them a transaction...but since I'm in the CPO market they may not give a rip about me.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #104
BryanEX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Reach out to all of BMW's handles on Twitter, saying that something along the lines of "that you enjoyed your car while it worked, and are unhappy results from your oil pump failing and crippling your car." Add some hashtags that can trend #N20 #BMW #F30

Twitter is a good way to get ahold of higher level customer service reps/managers. Also if you do end up posting on there about it I would share your handle on here so others can re-tweet it showing that it has a high level of visibility.

I hope this help out to get your issues resolved.
Appreciate 2
      04-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #105
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEX View Post
Reach out to all of BMW's handles on Twitter, saying that something along the lines of "that you enjoyed your car while it worked, and are unhappy results from your oil pump failing and crippling your car." Add some hashtags that can trend #N20 #BMW #F30

Twitter is a good way to get ahold of higher level customer service reps/managers. Also if you do end up posting on there about it I would share your handle on here so others can re-tweet it showing that it has a high level of visibility.

+1
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #106
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEX View Post

I would retweet and reply.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #107
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Bingo. I was so thrilled when I bought this car and the european delivery experience was incredible. I thought I'd be a "BMW lifer." I was planning on buying a 5 series or X5 in the next few months.

That is totally unacceptable. I have been a lifer (4th BMW) and talk about a way to uninspire confidence.
      04-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #108
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post

I'd agree re: comment on abuse. Manufacturers beat up their cars quite a bit during testing and they can handle a lot. Redlining should not damage the car because the car is generally built to ensure redlining won't kill it. If it did, who would offer a warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #109
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
I'd agree re: comment on abuse. Manufacturers beat up their cars quite a bit during testing and they can handle a lot. Redlining should not damage the car because the car is generally built to ensure redlining won't kill it. If it did, who would offer a warranty?
Not to mention you can't redline this car unless its a manual. Auto switches it before redline no matter what setting you have it on.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #110
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo
Quote:
Not to mention you can't redline this car unless its a manual. Auto switches it before redline no matter what setting you have it on.
False. I'm like 99.99999% positive that manual mode on sport + will let you redline with no auto shift.
Attached Images

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0