F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY Headrest Fix
proTUNING Freaks

05-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromix View Post
I dont' get how you guys got the spring out? I was trying now, I almost bent/broke the plastic piece at the end the spring is on, there almost no room for manuevering the spring out???? Help! lol
I had hard time too. Spring goes around a small plastic pin on the movable tab.
You have to compress spring enough so it slides of the pin and then take it out.
Hope this helps.

Pick tool would have helped me.

Last edited by IM2C; 05-04-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #24
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
I had hard time too. Spring goes around a small plastic pin on the movable tab.
You have to compress spring enough so it slides of the pin and then take it out.
Hope this helps.

Pick tool would have helped me.
That's exactly what I used like posted in my DIY and had no issues. Took like 3 seconds. Like you said you just compress the spring back and pull on it.
      06-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 - 335I

I did it the easy way by removing 2 springs but I cant seem to push the headrest all the way down. what am I missing ?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #26
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10nelyboi View Post
I did it the easy way by removing 2 springs but I cant seem to push the headrest all the way down. what am I missing ?
Those plastic tabs still slide without the spring it may have gotten stuck on your last notch in the head rest, make sure you take them down or something so they don't interfere. I remember having that slight issue on the right side.
      06-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
10nelyboi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 - 335I

yes they still slide , how do i take them down or make sure they dont interfere ?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10nelyboi View Post
yes they still slide , how do i take them down or make sure they dont interfere ?
I put a small piece of electrical tape to hold it in place just enough to where it wont move. I never move my headrest anyway. Also make sure you compress the left side the external clip. That will also catch the last notch and prevent it from going all the way down.
      06-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
sdl701
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sedan

In reply to the question why anyone would defeat a "safety feature," NHTSA may be obsessed with whiplash injuries, but the obstruction to visibility that these oversize headrests cause is a far bigger threat than the chance of a rear-end collision. Particularly for those of us with a few years on us and reduced neck flexibility, the oversized and over-high headrests make it impossible to change lanes or back up safely without time-consuming and uncomfortable contortions. Also, sometimes you need to carry something in the car that extends over the right seatback, and you can't with the headrest in the way.

As steadymoddn504 noticed, the hose clamp fix that dealers installed to satisfy the recall was replaced by a factory-installed torx screw in the left headrest support. Either way, it was because some annoying lawyer decided it was a hazard to be able to raise the headrest higher than specified, but it also prevents you from removing the headrest if you want to. (My owner's manual still has instructions for removing it, but you can't until you get rid of that torx screw.)

The spring mechanisms for both support posts are identical. It's only the plastic caps that are different. I drilled a 1/8" hole in the right-side cap, so now I can release that side with a pick or even a paper clip, without having to snap the cap off (and risk breaking it) each time. Of course if no one pulls the headrest up, I may never have to touch it again.

10nelyboim you need to release both sides simultaneously, so even if you've removed the springs from the right side, you need to push the button on the left side. That should allow you full freedom up and down.
Appreciate 1
aps335.50
      06-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdl701 View Post
In reply to the question why anyone would defeat a "safety feature," NHTSA may be obsessed with whiplash injuries, but the obstruction to visibility that these oversize headrests cause is a far bigger threat than the chance of a rear-end collision. Particularly for those of us with a few years on us and reduced neck flexibility, the oversized and over-high headrests make it impossible to change lanes or back up safely without time-consuming and uncomfortable contortions. Also, sometimes you need to carry something in the car that extends over the right seatback, and you can't with the headrest in the way.

As steadymoddn504 noticed, the hose clamp fix that dealers installed to satisfy the recall was replaced by a factory-installed torx screw in the left headrest support. Either way, it was because some annoying lawyer decided it was a hazard to be able to raise the headrest higher than specified, but it also prevents you from removing the headrest if you want to. (My owner's manual still has instructions for removing it, but you can't until you get rid of that torx screw.)

The spring mechanisms for both support posts are identical. It's only the plastic caps that are different. I drilled a 1/8" hole in the right-side cap, so now I can release that side with a pick or even a paper clip, without having to snap the cap off (and risk breaking it) each time. Of course if no one pulls the headrest up, I may never have to touch it again.

10nelyboim you need to release both sides simultaneously, so even if you've removed the springs from the right side, you need to push the button on the left side. That should allow you full freedom up and down.
Well Said sir . Enjoy the mod, i know i am
      09-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #31
Black-Demon
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 318Da M

you don´t need to do nothing more than take off the upside piece that covers the mecanism and press both sides at the same time and push the headrest down with your head or other person help...

So simple as that... 1 min mod!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #32
HoosierIN_CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
I was very annoyed by the fact that the headrest was not able to go all the way down or you couldnt take it all the way out. Here is the simple fix.

Tools: 7mm socket and ratchet. And a pick tool.

You may have to move the seat back and forth to give you more room.

1. At the Rear base of your front seat locate the 2 push pins. This is basically the only thing holding the back plastic part on. Gently pull down with both hands and the pins will come free. Slide the Plastic panel straight down. This gives you access to the headrest clamp.

2. Look for the 7mm clamp usually on the left headrest stem. Undo it and slide the clamp off. This will allow you to remove the headrest completely out of the seat.

3. Locate the black plastic cap with out the adjustor. Its on the Right hand side. Gently pry up on the cap. Take your time be careful. This will expose the 2 springs that need to be removed.

4. Using a pick tool romove the 2 springs. Dont throwh them away you may want to reverse this process one day. This allows the plastic clip inside to move freely. Its whats preventing the head rest from moving all the way down. Reinstall the cap. And then the headrest. Then the plastic backing cover.

I also left out the clamp so I can take out the headrest if I want.
YOURE DONE! Very simple.
Another thing I did for my vehicle here in the US, is that the post on the left side has a notch that even if you remove the spring, it will catch in the detent. So, what I did was use a small zip tie, and as I was inserting the post into the hole, held it in there with the post and the small zip tie allowed the post to go past the detent. If you are the only driver or and short like myself, then going this extra mile may not be worth it as no one else will be adjusting the headrest.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #33
Kingpin4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i/2019 M2C

Great write up!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #34
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Awesome!

I opted to leave the spring in there and just slide them down. Like the other person in this thread mentioned, I never move my head rests... I just want them down, where they will stay until the car is no longer mine.

+1 regardless, finally I can comfortably rest my head in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #35
bill_f31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Demon View Post
you don´t need to do nothing more than take off the upside piece that covers the mecanism and press both sides at the same time and push the headrest down with your head or other person help...

So simple as that... 1 min mod!
Just followed this route. 3 sec job for each headrest. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:15 AM   #36
gup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f20

I tried with the "simple" way but I can not do it.. Is it matter of strength? I press both sides towards the metal but it won't work.. What am I doing wrong here? Any suggestions?

I have a F20 but the mecanhism looks the same..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #37
bill_f31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gup View Post
I tried with the "simple" way but I can not do it.. Is it matter of strength? I press both sides towards the metal but it won't work.. What am I doing wrong here? Any suggestions?

You have to press simultaneously the mechanisms on both metal brackets and push the headrest down with your head or somebody's help.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      02-09-2017, 12:29 AM   #38
gup
Enlisted Member
Rep

this is what I did, with extra help from a friend. However it is not working for me..
efxaristo!

ok.. just manage to make it.. (stupid for me trying with only one of the mechanism )

Much better now!

Last edited by gup; 02-09-2017 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #39
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_f31 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gup View Post

You have to press simultaneously the mechanisms on both metal brackets and push the headrest down with your head or somebody's help.
This. It's why I just took the springs out.
      02-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #40
gup
Enlisted Member
Rep

it is much easier with the easy way..
I just did not realize I had to work with 2 clips.
Thought that the second one was irrelevant :-)

it is so easy to push down which I did with the point finger
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #41
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

Please, can someone clarify what Black-Demon means by the "upside piece"? I'd really like to try this but I don't understand his technique. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #42
gup
Enlisted Member
Rep

@stevefoster
each seat has 2 push pins. each one of the them has a black plastic which you have to remove-pry up.. (the 6th photo of OP)
You will see then that there are 2 identical mechanisms which you have to press in order to make it happen..

Hope that clears it?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 05:47 AM   #43
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Only drawback is you can't tilt the headrest forward when its all the way down..which also looks good and might be a bit more functional. But I notice some F30s don't have that button to tilt forward on the side of the headrest. Not sure if that's a 2013 thing or something in the trim ordered.
+1... I think they look better tilted forward and may well better prevent neck injury in a rear ender!! I never have any probs with visibility... use the mirrors!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #44
MYF30ROCKS
Life is short make it smart
Rep
Drives: F30 335IX M-Sport,HK,MPE,MPPK

Absolutely great write up.....But

Federal requirements
- To keep headrest at certain height when it's in full down and full up.
- During impact or roll over headrest should not come out
- Tilt is critical to set the correct backset. If headrest goes further down, it may cause the tilt half lock condition and it will not protect the neck during impacts.

When the spring and clamp is removed headrest can move up/ down even at low/high speed braking.
I am in industry, seen lot of OEMs struggle to meet the requirements, in which headrest requirements are very very critical to protect from neck injuries.
03 M3 Black (Retired)
Appreciate 0