F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Hit and Run Damage - Now What
Studio RSR

04-20-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Question Hit and Run Damage - Now What

A nice guy on the highway decided to cut me off, but apparently doesn't know how to judge distance very well, and hit my fender, wheel, and bumper. And of course didn't bother to stop. While I did file a police report, it doesn't sound like that helps much other than me calling my insurance company and getting stuck paying the deductible because someone else hit my car. I did get his plate, and found the VIN, etc. It would be nice to get out of paying the deductible.

But I am also wondering, is this a good time to change the front bumper? Something a bit more M3 looking would be nice. Just don't know how much the insurance is going to cover.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1453.00
      04-20-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Well, for starters you have his info and it was a criminal action. The police should be able to go to his house, look at his car and verify and then arrest him. Problem solved. It will be on him. Next thing, is get a dash cam.
BrettKA7566.50
      04-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #3
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Well, for starters you have his info and it was a criminal action. The police should be able to go to his house, look at his car and verify and then arrest him. Problem solved. It will be on him. Next thing, is get a dash cam.
Yeah, I am working on that. I did get a picture, but that was about it. When I asked the cop about insurance and the other person paying, he said that was up to the insurance company to pursue. It didn't seem like he cared too much to file a report stating that this car with this license plate hit me.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i View Post
But I am also wondering, is this a good time to change the front bumper? Something a bit more M3 looking would be nice. Just don't know how much the insurance is going to cover.
I have a Front MSport Bumper in the classifieds that I would love to sell you, but honestly, I do not see your Insurance paying for a new Bumper based on the pic you have posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Yeah, I am working on that. I did get a picture, but that was about it. When I asked the cop about insurance and the other person paying, he said that was up to the insurance company to pursue. It didn't seem like he cared too much to file a report stating that this car with this license plate hit me.
Cop doesn't care because he just files a report
The insurance company as long as they have all the info will always go after the other guys insurance to recoup it loses
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Just get the police report, give it to your insurance company with any evidence you have, like the picture, and let them deal with it. If you can find out where the car is again and can get picture of the damage on his car that will help. I'm not sure if you can get out of the deductible that's something you'll have to work out with insurance. They'll basically take it from there and do all the hunting to find this guys insurance company. Police are probably not going to do anything to this guy without video evidence.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
fluke
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 and 2015 X5

A colleague and I witnessed an accident outside our cafe in California in the late 1990's, some guy hit a parked car. Saw the driver clearly, actually had an argument with him about leaving a note, he told us where to go and drove off. This was all before either of us owned cell phones with cameras. The Police took a report, but they explained he would just deny that he was driving the car. Even took us to the guy's house to identify him, but his car was gone and his wife answered the door and wouldn't talk. The victim thanked us for closing the shop for the better part of the day so we could spend several hours with Police trying to help him out, but I don't know what the victim did from there. The bottom line is you should contact your insurance company for professional advice for dealing with this, the advice is free and will probably be "let us handle this." The guy will very likely not be punished, he will not be sued, and he will most certainly continue to act this way.

If you choose to sue him or his insurance yourself, In my area a Lawyer is $200/hr with a $5000 retainer, you have to decide if that's worth it. I just had a door and front fender replaced with new OEM for $3500 at the best shop in town because my Wife accidentally backed into my car, I had no previous claims so the deductible was waived and my insurance hasn't gone up. I only had to pay for my rental car for 3 weeks ($830). I try to be pragmatic about these things, emotion always costs me money.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4486.00
      04-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke View Post
A colleague and I witnessed an accident outside our cafe in California in the late 1990's, some guy hit a parked car. Saw the driver clearly, actually had an argument with him about leaving a note, he told us where to go and drove off. This was all before either of us owned cell phones with cameras. The Police took a report, but they explained he would just deny that he was driving the car. Even took us to the guy's house to identify him, but his car was gone and his wife answered the door and wouldn't talk. The victim thanked us for closing the shop for the better part of the day so we could spend several hours with Police trying to help him out, but I don't know what the victim did from there. The bottom line is you should contact your insurance company for professional advice for dealing with this, the advice is free and will probably be "let us handle this." The guy will very likely not be punished, he will not be sued, and he will most certainly continue to act this way.

If you choose to sue him or his insurance yourself, In my area a Lawyer is $200/hr with a $5000 retainer, you have to decide if that's worth it. I just had a door and front fender replaced with new OEM for $3500 at the best shop in town because my Wife accidentally backed into my car, I had no previous claims so the deductible was waived and my insurance hasn't gone up. I only had to pay for my rental car for 3 weeks ($830). I try to be pragmatic about these things, emotion always costs me money.
On behalf of people that have been victims of hit and run, I thank you on their behalf for your attempt.
Appreciate 1
fluke36.00
      04-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Could not agree more with the recommendation to get a dash cam.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      04-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Cop doesn't care because he just files a report
The insurance company as long as they have all the info will always go after the other guys insurance to recoup it loses
This ^ Insurance companies hate paying for something when they can get the money back from someone else.. unless it'll end up costing more to pursue

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

The most important part is that, having the report, the claim goes on your Uninsured/underinsured part of your insurance (if you don't have it, you should!) That generally keeps the insurance company from raising your rates. Also the deductible is usually zero, or perhaps $100 as opposed to your regular deductible (mine is $750 IIRC, but underinsured is $100.)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #12
Kingpin4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i/2019 M2C

+1 dash cam
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      04-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #13
SBM1206
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The most important part is that, having the report, the claim goes on your Uninsured/underinsured part of your insurance (if you don't have it, you should!) That generally keeps the insurance company from raising your rates. Also the deductible is usually zero, or perhaps $100 as opposed to your regular deductible (mine is $750 IIRC, but underinsured is $100.)
That what is going to probably happen. It is very unlikely that the "hit and run" diver has a valid insurance.
You will have to use your own insurance and it is usually advantageous to be covered by "uninsured motorist" part than the regular collision coverage.
Even though in our case (my wife's car was hit by an uninsured driver) the uninsured coverage had $500 deductible it gave us the same class rental and did not affect our insurance premiums.

You may later sue the guilty party for your uninsured motorist deductible if any. Not that you will actually get anything out of him but you can try.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #14
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep

I have uninsured motorist coverage. After some research, the car that hit me appears to be a company car that is leased through Enterprise Fleet Management. So I can't imagine it not having insurance.

But more importantly, if my car is going to be in the body shop, I should at least add a couple of items that need to be painted. I was looking at this M3 bumper.

http://www.**********s.com/f80-m3-st...-m-bmw-f30.htm

I don't know the quality. Some carbon fiber would be nice as well. Maybe the carbon fiber splitter. https://www.carid.com/carbon-creatio...8aAkyREALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #15
jklenke1
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535d

I agree with going for the dash cam as well!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #16
Jincredible
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupe

Did you get a quote from the dealer? Curious on how much that damage costs.

Some moron in a pickup crept into my lane and slowly dented my driver side door and wheel panel right outside the Holland. Still waiting for the police report before I file a claim. Can't have nice things..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #17
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Thats a bummer man. I sure hate to see things like this happening to anyone and any car. Go after the guy that did it and have him pay. Its relatively easy to do. Stay with original bumper as nice as the M's look you may have an insurance issue by not replacing with same kind. Incidentally, its not uncommon for insurance companies to use used bumpers and fenders so make sure you fight that and win.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #18
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Thats a bummer man. I sure hate to see things like this happening to anyone and any car. Go after the guy that did it and have him pay. Its relatively easy to do. Stay with original bumper as nice as the M's look you may have an insurance issue by not replacing with same kind. Incidentally, its not uncommon for insurance companies to use used bumpers and fenders so make sure you fight that and win.
The insurance works a bit different than I expected. I had it appraised by the insurance company, then they mailed me a check minus the deductible. I can go to any body shop I would like. The bumper is just labor, so I can pay out of pocket for a new one and any difference in the labor costs.

I was a bit surprised with the appraisal. They have it at $2,300. But they also put down that I have 17" 393 wheels. Just need to get that changed to the 400M. Only parts being replaced are the fender and wheel.

As for the person that hit me, the insurance company is just waiting on the police report. If it validates the info I provided and shows I am not at fault, then the insurance company will go after the other persons insurance company. Hopefully it all works out.
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #19
Hausmeister Florian
NeedthePPK.
Germany
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 LCI 330d PPK S-Line

Wow man, thats terrible news! Strangely enough the same thing happened to me just 3 weeks back. Although it was on the Autobahn in Munich and ended up costing a total of 10,758 Euros to repair... Hope it all gets sorted, and im sure you'll love a new bumper!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #20
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Don't mean to thread jack, but I was in a similar situation earlier this year. A guy rear ended me (in a bad way) at 75MPH while I was making a legal left turn. He kept driving... Despite severe whiplash and a totaled car I was able to catch him.. He admitted fault to the CHP, said he panicked.. The guy was set free to go home and I can't get his insurance to pay nor mine.. It's been 4 fxcking months and nobody wants to take responsibility even despite the obvious police report. I have AAA insurance and he has State Farm (two big companies). If you think there is something missing from this story, you'd be wrong..
      05-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #21
Dosmgbs
Registered
Rep
Drives: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Don't mean to thread jack, but I was in a similar situation earlier this year. A guy rear ended me (in a bad way) at 75MPH while I was making a legal left turn. He kept driving... Despite severe whiplash and a totaled car I was able to catch him.. He admitted fault to the CHP, said he panicked.. The guy was set free to go home and I can't get his insurance to pay nor mine.. It's been 4 fxcking months and nobody wants to take responsibility even despite the obvious police report. I have AAA insurance and he has State Farm (two big companies). If you think there is something missing from this story, you'd be wrong..
With State Farm involved I'm not surprised. Never had a good experience when dealing with them. The first time I dealt with them they refused to pay medical or lost wages after getting rear ended at a stop light. Car was totaled but luckily I was just really really sore for a bit. Missed 2 days of work and that was back when I made a huge 6 buck an hour so we aren't talking much money. Second time lady pulled out infront of me out of a parking lot and onto the street and I broadsided her at 10mph. Road had a foot of ice on it and it was -25f so all the plastic tabs holding the headlights and grill pretty much shattered and I lost a lot of paint on the bumper. After a month of hearing nothing but we're sorry about the delay I went to my own company to subrogate the claim. They come out take a look at the damage within 24 hours and cut a check and I take my truck to the shop. State farm then calls my insurance claims they have already fully paid for the claim so my insurance cancels the check and will not reissue one so I had to pay out of pocket for the repairs. 6 months later I get a check from state farm.

Currently my Sister is finding out how much they suck and it's the same game.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The insurance works a bit different than I expected. I had it appraised by the insurance company, then they mailed me a check minus the deductible. I can go to any body shop I would like. The bumper is just labor, so I can pay out of pocket for a new one and any difference in the labor costs.

I was a bit surprised with the appraisal. They have it at $2,300. But they also put down that I have 17" 393 wheels. Just need to get that changed to the 400M. Only parts being replaced are the fender and wheel.
Yes, 400 vs 393 are a difference of $139. BTW, you could probably save some cash and get that wheel refinished.

Did they repaint entire bumper or blend? Blend door to match fender?

Any damage behind fender?

As I said on 4/21, I did not see you getting a new bumper based on the pics you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I have a Front MSport Bumper in the classifieds that I would love to sell you, but honestly, I do not see your Insurance paying for a new Bumper based on the pic you have posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosmgbs View Post
With State Farm involved I'm not surprised. Never had a good experience when dealing with them. The first time I dealt with them they refused to pay medical or lost wages after getting rear ended at a stop light. Car was totaled but luckily I was just really really sore for a bit. Missed 2 days of work and that was back when I made a huge 6 buck an hour so we aren't talking much money. Second time lady pulled out infront of me out of a parking lot and onto the street and I broadsided her at 10mph. Road had a foot of ice on it and it was -25f so all the plastic tabs holding the headlights and grill pretty much shattered and I lost a lot of paint on the bumper. After a month of hearing nothing but we're sorry about the delay I went to my own company to subrogate the claim. They come out take a look at the damage within 24 hours and cut a check and I take my truck to the shop. State farm then calls my insurance claims they have already fully paid for the claim so my insurance cancels the check and will not reissue one so I had to pay out of pocket for the repairs. 6 months later I get a check from state farm.

Currently my Sister is finding out how much they suck and it's the same game.
So State Farm is NOT “a good neighbor.”

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 05-06-2018 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0