F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > KW Coilovers for 2014 BMW 435iX - Need guidance on KW Street Comfort/V1/V2
Extreme Powerhouse

03-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #23
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Awesome! Post some pics please. Xdrive?

I wanted to go square but I couldn't find concave rims to fit 255s all round. What size are yours?

I bet I'll regret not going square.

I can't wait to get it all installed now, end of April is when everything come in.
I'm RWD/sDrive, but I have the coils set to near maximum height which should be achievable (at least close) with the xDrive kit as well.

View post on imgur.com

I am running the Apex SM-10's 8.5 et35. They are concave, but there are also larger versions with more concavity. I could run 255's but when I bought these (June '17) the only 18 inch size available for PS4S was 245, and I still was rolling on the stock 8 inch 397s.

Spring is in the air! Best time for mods, haha.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i

Last edited by MacklinUSOB; 03-26-2018 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: fix photos
Appreciate 1
DaFish155.50
      03-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #24
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

I have been wanting to go lower as well. I have a 435IX and lowered it on HR Sport Springs. The drop makes it look closer to stock for a regular 435i.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #25
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
I had some questions for KW on the Street Comfort/V1 and V2

1) As RIDE quality goes please compare
KW Street Comfort - assuming the best - how does this vary from 1 click to 16 clicks of rebound - does it get as hard as the V1 or V2?
KW V1 - at what setting compared to the Street Comfort (in clicks) would the V1 be?
KW V2 - Where is this firmness/comfort compared to Street Comfort in clicks, and would the V1 be in the middle of the settings for the V2?

For example: the V1 would have the same ride comfort with the Street Comforts in 10 clicks, and the V2 in 4 clicks... this would give me some idea of how stiff.

2) Ride height.
Street Comfort - if this only goes down 1.58", I think this maybe not enough. is the 1.58 measurement from where the stock suspension is now? (IE: 3" higher?)
KW V1 - I read a lot about these being too low... again this would be from the stock height?
KW V2 - is this the same spring as the V1 except adjustable?

3) Is there a “recommended” height, or can I set the height to the absolute min or max of Front Lowering is 0.8" to 2.0" and Rear Lowering 1.0" to 2.0" ?

Here is KW's excellent response - and they responded in a day too ! Great service.

Thank you for contacting KW. For kit number 1802000U on the 4 series models the Front Lowering is 0.8" to 2.0" and Rear Lowering 1.0" to 2.0". The SC kit can adjusted to feel very much like the V1/V2 by closing the valve and getting closer to the 16th click. It is not predefined as to what click on the SC kit would match the V1/V2 however you will find it within the closed range of between 8th-16th click. The V1 is present in the middle range and the V2 will feel more firm by comparison to the SC system primarily due to the springs and valve rate. The V1/V2 systems ride height range is F 1.2-2.4” and R 1.4-2.4”, a little lower than SC. The V1/V2 are the same set up with the exception of rebound adjustment. Based off you suspension requirements our best suggestion is the Street Comfort system. These suspension systems are built in Germany upon placing your order and the estimated delivery time is around 3 weeks. Let me know if you need more information or need assistance placing an order direct from the manufacturer.

Yes you have the freedom to set it at min or max or anywhere in between 0.8" to 2.0"

Respectfully,

Sales and Technical Support Manager
KW automotive North America, Inc.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #26
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
I have been wanting to go lower as well. I have a 435IX and lowered it on HR Sport Springs. The drop makes it look closer to stock for a regular 435i.
I was worried about that... I actually had H&Rs in my basket to purchase then I started to read some bad things on this forum about them.

The XDrive is ridiculously high. BMW should at least offer a "sport suspension" that would make the XDrive at the same height as the non XDrive suspension. I almost didn't buy the car because it looked like sh_t. I almost sold it because I can't stand the look of the height. These C/O will fix it and with the mods I am hoping I will love this car again and keep it for another 2 years - It only has 73,000KMS (less than 50k miles) on it, so lots of life in it.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #27
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

You sure you want to drop your car that much? Wondering how that'll affect suspension geometry and subsequently handling? My vote is Street Comforts (which I liked on my car) and a one inch drop, fwiw.
      04-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #28
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
I had some questions for KW on the Street Comfort/V1 and V2

1) As RIDE quality goes please compare
KW Street Comfort - assuming the best - how does this vary from 1 click to 16 clicks of rebound - does it get as hard as the V1 or V2?
KW V1 - at what setting compared to the Street Comfort (in clicks) would the V1 be?
KW V2 - Where is this firmness/comfort compared to Street Comfort in clicks, and would the V1 be in the middle of the settings for the V2?

For example: the V1 would have the same ride comfort with the Street Comforts in 10 clicks, and the V2 in 4 clicks... this would give me some idea of how stiff.

2) Ride height.
Street Comfort - if this only goes down 1.58", I think this maybe not enough. is the 1.58 measurement from where the stock suspension is now? (IE: 3" higher?)
KW V1 - I read a lot about these being too low... again this would be from the stock height?
KW V2 - is this the same spring as the V1 except adjustable?

3) Is there a "recommended" height, or can I set the height to the absolute min or max of Front Lowering is 0.8" to 2.0" and Rear Lowering 1.0" to 2.0" ?

Here is KW's excellent response - and they responded in a day too ! Great service.

Thank you for contacting KW. For kit number 1802000U on the 4 series models the Front Lowering is 0.8" to 2.0" and Rear Lowering 1.0" to 2.0". The SC kit can adjusted to feel very much like the V1/V2 by closing the valve and getting closer to the 16th click. It is not predefined as to what click on the SC kit would match the V1/V2 however you will find it within the closed range of between 8th-16th click. The V1 is present in the middle range and the V2 will feel more firm by comparison to the SC system primarily due to the springs and valve rate. The V1/V2 systems ride height range is F 1.2-2.4" and R 1.4-2.4", a little lower than SC. The V1/V2 are the same set up with the exception of rebound adjustment. Based off you suspension requirements our best suggestion is the Street Comfort system. These suspension systems are built in Germany upon placing your order and the estimated delivery time is around 3 weeks. Let me know if you need more information or need assistance placing an order direct from the manufacturer.

Yes you have the freedom to set it at min or max or anywhere in between 0.8" to 2.0"

Respectfully,

Sales and Technical Support Manager
KW automotive North America, Inc.
That was great of them to give such a detailed response. When you get the coils you'll see you can take them down as low as you want. Doing this will not be ideal for actual performance but if you want to go low you can.
It's interesting how they compare the V2/V1 to the dampening adjustment of the SC, I ran my SCs at 9/16 and found that too stiff for me and the roads here so I'm glad I had the option to soften them out a bit
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #29
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Wow nice read. So street comforts can go to v1 stiffness and just fall short of the softest setting on v2. The height adjustment is on the lower end from stock ( is this xdrive stock or rwd stock?) compared to v1/2.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #30
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
From a 'low' standpoint I have them about half way down the threads, so I definitely think they will go low enough for you. If you go too low, the ideal suspension geometry is thrown off though so you will begin to sacrifice performance. Just something to consider. I am sitting at 25 1/2" front ground to fender and 25 3/4" rear.
Hey Dope! I followed your advice (thanks a lot) and set the car to 25 3/4 height from road to fender. This is giving me less than 1 finger of space between fender and top of the wheel, I'll post pictures this weekend.

This looks fantastic, but I think it maybe too aggressively low. Frig does it look sharp though.

Incidentally this is the absolute bottom of the rear adjuster- it won't go lower, but I would never go lower than that anyway. The front can go much higher or lower. I'll need to set this higher for the winter.

I set the rear settings to 6 clicks, I wanted soft.

WARNING: you need to remove the rear shock to adjust the softness- this is about an hour of labour. You need to sure what firmness you want in the car ON INSTALL! I wanted a bit firmer than stock, and I got that. The front you can pop the hood and adjust I just bumped it to 7 clicks and I'll report back.

All in all, I'm pretty happy. Just sitting waiting for my alignment and then I'll report on the handling.

All my engine mods are in now, and I'm really starting to love this car now. Never imagined that an xdrive car could be this good!

Special thanks to the dope steez and everyone helping me to figure all this out! Great to have this community!

Appreciate 1
      04-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #31
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey Dope! I followed your advice (thanks a lot) and set the car to 25 3/4 height from road to fender. This is giving me less than 1 finger of space between fender and top of the wheel, I'll post pictures this weekend.

This looks fantastic, but I think it maybe too aggressively low. Frig does it look sharp though.

Incidentally this is the absolute bottom of the rear adjuster- it won't go lower, but I would never go lower than that anyway. The front can go much higher or lower. I'll need to set this higher for the winter.

I set the rear settings to 6 clicks, I wanted soft.

WARNING: you need to remove the rear shock to adjust the softness- this is about an hour of labour. You need to sure what firmness you want in the car ON INSTALL! I wanted a bit firmer than stock, and I got that. The front you can pop the hood and adjust I just bumped it to 7 clicks and I'll report back.

All in all, I'm pretty happy. Just sitting waiting for my alignment and then I'll report on the handling.

All my engine mods are in now, and I'm really starting to love this car now. Never imagined that an xdrive car could be this good!

Special thanks to the dope steez and everyone helping me to figure all this out! Great to have this community!
Ya man! That's weird that your rear spring perch is maxed out... Mine still has quite a bit of room to go lower. What tire profile do you have on there now? I'm on 275/30 on the rear so pretty low profile so that could be why my wheel gap is a little larger (but not by much).
Hopefully you like the setup! Yes the rear rebound settings are a PITA to redo, you'll want to set that up right the first time.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #32
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Ok here is a pic. Remember, I had a 3" gap between the wheel and the fender...

The fitment and offsets of the rims and PSS 4S tires are perfect.

I'll get more as I get the car cleaned up this weekend.

I think it needs to come UP 1/4" to 1/2", but it looks friggin GREAT this way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #33
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok here is a pic. Remember, I had a 3" gap between the wheel and the fender...

The fitment and offsets of the rims and PSS 4S tires are perfect.

I'll get more as I get the car cleaned up this weekend.

I think it needs to come UP 1/4" to 1/2", but it looks friggin GREAT this way.
Awesome! I think the ride height is perfect I wish mine were a bit lower in the rear like yours. Maybe not the best for practicality... my m sport front bumper is f'ed as it is..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #34
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ya man! That's weird that your rear spring perch is maxed out... Mine still has quite a bit of room to go lower. What tire profile do you have on there now? I'm on 275/30 on the rear so pretty low profile so that could be why my wheel gap is a little larger (but not by much).
Hopefully you like the setup! Yes the rear rebound settings are a PITA to redo, you'll want to set that up right the first time.
I have the same tire specs... 245/35 and 275/30.... The good news is I would never ever go lower than this, only up from there. Same on the front. I am considering raising it 1/4 to 1/2". I'll let it go for a bit.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #35
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have the same tire specs... 245/35 and 275/30.... The good news is I would never ever go lower than this, only up from there. Same on the front. I am considering raising it 1/4 to 1/2". I'll let it go for a bit.
Hm strange, maybe a different coilover model for 4 series.
What is your rear wheel offset out of curiosity? EDIT I read your earlier post - ET40. Wish I had ET40s
Appreciate 0